What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (1 Viewer)

Million with a 'b'.
Dagnabbit. I was gonna grab two friends and make a run at this franchise.

So far this is an unimpressive OC candidate list....
  • Charles London - Running backs coach most of his life, including for a failed Bears running game. Then somehow moved to job as QB coach for the Falcons, where he oversaw the end of days for Matt Ryan and Marcus Mariotta. Compeltely unimpressive stats by his groups in both places.
  • Pat Shurmur - Failed with Wilson this year. Failed with other QBs prior. Failed numerous times as a Head Coach with a 19-46 record.
  • Ken Zampese - Well, he's actually been around Mike Martz, Farve, Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Mike McCarthyand others that were successful. But on his own he's been wildly unsuccessful. having even failed in the arena football league. I think with him we get more of same.
  • Eric Studesville - Basically a RB coach under coaches that have been fired. I guess he can join Ron for one year and have the same thing happen again.
  • Darrell Bevell - I find this intriguing. He also hasn't been that successful. But he's worked with good players and coaches in the past. He's been heavily involved with quarterbacks which could help Howell. It's still not an impressive hire, but I think his schemes in MIA were pretty solid this year.

Why should Pat Shurmur even get an interview? His offenses have been AWFUL the last several years. :bag:
Because they can't attract the people who actually should be getting these chances.

I saw a notification yesterday that the sale could close soon. Not sure how soon, but I think a super quick sale is the only hope to significantly impact next season.

Already interviewed
Pat Shurmur
Ken Zampese

Interviewing today

Charles London

Uninterested in the OC job
Darrell Bevell
Jim Caldwell

Million with a 'b'.
Dagnabbit. I was gonna grab two friends and make a run at this franchise.

So far this is an unimpressive OC candidate list....
  • Charles London - Running backs coach most of his life, including for a failed Bears running game. Then somehow moved to job as QB coach for the Falcons, where he oversaw the end of days for Matt Ryan and Marcus Mariotta. Compeltely unimpressive stats by his groups in both places.
  • Pat Shurmur - Failed with Wilson this year. Failed with other QBs prior. Failed numerous times as a Head Coach with a 19-46 record.
  • Ken Zampese - Well, he's actually been around Mike Martz, Farve, Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Mike McCarthyand others that were successful. But on his own he's been wildly unsuccessful. having even failed in the arena football league. I think with him we get more of same.
  • Eric Studesville - Basically a RB coach under coaches that have been fired. I guess he can join Ron for one year and have the same thing happen again.
  • Darrell Bevell - I find this intriguing. He also hasn't been that successful. But he's worked with good players and coaches in the past. He's been heavily involved with quarterbacks which could help Howell. It's still not an impressive hire, but I think his schemes in MIA were pretty solid this year.
The whole thing is strange. Odds are quite high that a new owner fires the entire front office and coaching staff next year after he or she is established with the team. I'm assuming the sale doesn't happen in time for a firing this year...it's too bad. But, as a consequence, the new Offensive Coordinator is basically taking a job that is likely to be one and done, as the whole coaching staff is flushed down the toliet. I would think if you have other options, you'd want to join a staff that may be around for a few years. It's really that simple. The dynamic is just really awkward. They will basically get guys who may be willing to prove themselves in a one year situation to get back on their feet or something like that.

The one thing I do notice is that Ron is not interested in young, modern guys. He is focused on older, more traditional group of candidates. I'm not crazy about that but knowing Ron, I am NOT surprised at all.

Beyond that, despite the frustrations right now, long term, I don't buy the narrative, "Oh, Washington is such a dumpster fire no one will ever come here to coach." BS. Wait until new ownership takes over and see how quickly the perception among other coaches and players is. People will be willing to come to Washington to coach and to play, just like other teams. There is nothing "magic" about the Washington, D.C. area that makes the team a "dumpster fire." It's Snyder, period. I know Washington has struggled for years but let's see what comes to pass once the true cancer of Dan Snyder is gone.

In the meantime, yeah we got to survive a gap year with Rivera and his team of dinosaurs playing out the thread. The only thing I hope is that they are unable to pay big for a FA QB, and Howell shocks everyone by playing great for a year, cementing the position going into the following year when the new regime can really get going. That is my only hope for next year.

Last edited:
What would I do. Plan to Start Howell. Sign heinicke to a $9m per 2 year contract to be the backup. (Assuming he would take it). Draft a qb in round 2 to develop. Draft a LT in round 1. Let Payne walk. Move Leno to LG. Use the $32m in cap space to sign OL depth, LB and a CB. Fire turner who might be the worst thing we have going… an oft fired qb coach that suddenly got promoted to OC. :bored:

What will Ron do. Trade every pick for Carr. IMO There is no way Ron is going to put his maybe last coaching job on Howell and there’s no GM to tell him he has to. He will Find 17 cut ex-Carolina panthers to fill in the holes. Extend turner and del rio through 2045 to take care of his guys.

While I think Ron will desperately want to sign a re-tread, because that's the kind of backward mentality he has, I also wonder what if any role Snyder will play in offseason moves. On the one hand, if he's selling the team, he's checked out...what does he care. On the other hand, I'm wondering if Snyder -- unlike Ron -- has incentive to refrain from trading picks or locking the team into a high priced vet contract, on the thinking that prospective buyers would find that less attractive. I would think buyers would value walking in with cap space and draft picks so they can do their own thing, not just inherit all of Snyder's big decisions? Let's say Ron wants to sign away picks and a huge portion of the cap for Carr...does Snyder sign off on that?

So many moving pieces...

A prospective buyer doesn't care about the current make up of the team. The contract lengths are so short term that it's almost irrelevant.
A wrinkle:

"The NFL’s archaic funding rule forces teams to place money into an escrow account that equals the amount guaranteed in players’ contracts beyond the first year....

Even if he accepts the sale is happening, Snyder could balk at putting all that money into escrow. That doesn’t mean ignoring the process, but it could mean not allowing his front office to offer contracts that would create hefty deposits amid potential cash flow issues."

The idea of Snyder not signing to big time contracts is now out there among very credible reporters who follow the team, in this case Ben Standig. You can read the whole article if you like, but the big takeaway is that Snyder's finances may not be as great as he lets on and may not be keen in taking on new, big contracts that would require him to put money into this escrow.

Not saying this means they won't get Carr, just it's out there in the ether now and this positioning of Sam Howell to prospective Offensive Coordinators only strengthens the speculation that budget is an issue.

I would be very glad if the team just gave Sam Howell a shot next year. At the same time, I would hope the budgetary restrictions would not impact the resigning of key key veteran free agents such as Daron Payne.

We'll see what happens.

What would I do. Plan to Start Howell. Sign heinicke to a $9m per 2 year contract to be the backup. (Assuming he would take it). Draft a qb in round 2 to develop. Draft a LT in round 1. Let Payne walk. Move Leno to LG. Use the $32m in cap space to sign OL depth, LB and a CB. Fire turner who might be the worst thing we have going… an oft fired qb coach that suddenly got promoted to OC. :bored:

What will Ron do. Trade every pick for Carr. IMO There is no way Ron is going to put his maybe last coaching job on Howell and there’s no GM to tell him he has to. He will Find 17 cut ex-Carolina panthers to fill in the holes. Extend turner and del rio through 2045 to take care of his guys.

While I think Ron will desperately want to sign a re-tread, because that's the kind of backward mentality he has, I also wonder what if any role Snyder will play in offseason moves. On the one hand, if he's selling the team, he's checked out...what does he care. On the other hand, I'm wondering if Snyder -- unlike Ron -- has incentive to refrain from trading picks or locking the team into a high priced vet contract, on the thinking that prospective buyers would find that less attractive. I would think buyers would value walking in with cap space and draft picks so they can do their own thing, not just inherit all of Snyder's big decisions? Let's say Ron wants to sign away picks and a huge portion of the cap for Carr...does Snyder sign off on that?

So many moving pieces...

A prospective buyer doesn't care about the current make up of the team. The contract lengths are so short term that it's almost irrelevant.
A wrinkle:

"The NFL’s archaic funding rule forces teams to place money into an escrow account that equals the amount guaranteed in players’ contracts beyond the first year....

Even if he accepts the sale is happening, Snyder could balk at putting all that money into escrow. That doesn’t mean ignoring the process, but it could mean not allowing his front office to offer contracts that would create hefty deposits amid potential cash flow issues."

The idea of Snyder not signing to big time contracts is now out there among very credible reporters who follow the team, in this case Ben Standig. You can read the whole article if you like, but the big takeaway is that Snyder's finances may not be as great as he lets on and may not be keen in taking on new, big contracts that would require him to put money into this escrow.

Not saying this means they won't get Carr, just it's out there in the ether now and this positioning of Sam Howell to prospective Offensive Coordinators only strengthens the speculation that budget is an issue.

I would be very glad if the team just gave Sam Howell a shot next year. At the same time, I would hope the budgetary restrictions would not impact the resigning of key key veteran free agents such as Daron Payne.

We'll see what happens.

Snyder bought the team for $750M. He'll get say $3-4B on the sale. I don't think holding $200-500M in escrow will break him.

So many moving pieces...

A wrinkle:

We'll see what happens.

Snyder bought the team for $750M. He'll get say $3-4B on the sale. I don't think holding $200-500M in escrow will break him.
I can't say for sure what will happen of course.

But for now, I will just say that Ben Standig is as plugged in as any reporter in the Washington, D.C. area. So, I put a high degree of credibility into his speculations. I think people are acting like it's a foregone conclusion that Washington launches into another veteran overpay situation. I'm not ready to buy that just yet. I think it could go either way at this point.

If they stay with Howell (and don't get Carr or Jackson), they need a good backup in case things go wrong or there's an injury. Any QB drafted is not likely to touch the field this year with Rivera there. So who is that other guy ... Heinicke, Garrapolo, Kyle Allen, Brissett, Sam Darnold? The options aren't great. They are actually awful.

I wouldn't put it past Snyder to be the one floating the "north of $7 billion" story. And I also wouldn't put it past him to sell to someone for less than Bezos offers (assuming he makes an offer).
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/19/will-jeff-bezos-eventually-bid-on-the-commanders/

JP Finlay of NBC Sports Washington reported that Snyder would prefer not to tell to Bezos. That’s a point Peter King made very early in the process, that Snyder wouldn’t want to sell to the man who owns the Washington Post.

A.J. Perez of FrontOfficeSports.com reported earlier this week that Bank of America, which is handling the sale of the team, continues to court Bezos, regardless of whether Snyder would prefer to sell to someone else. The outside company’s financial interests point to maximizing the sale price, if its fee is based on the total amount of money that changes hands. And it’s obvious that Bezos would (or at least could) pay more than any of the other bidders.

For now, the highest bid (per Perez) is $6.3 billion. The night before the bids were due, Forbes reported that Snyder had received multiple bids “well north” of $7 billion. Which suggests that perhaps someone was spreading exaggerated information in order to goose the process.

I wouldn't put it past Snyder to be the one floating the "north of $7 billion" story. And I also wouldn't put it past him to sell to someone for less than Bezos offers (assuming he makes an offer).
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/19/will-jeff-bezos-eventually-bid-on-the-commanders/

JP Finlay of NBC Sports Washington reported that Snyder would prefer not to tell to Bezos. That’s a point Peter King made very early in the process, that Snyder wouldn’t want to sell to the man who owns the Washington Post.

A.J. Perez of FrontOfficeSports.com reported earlier this week that Bank of America, which is handling the sale of the team, continues to court Bezos, regardless of whether Snyder would prefer to sell to someone else. The outside company’s financial interests point to maximizing the sale price, if its fee is based on the total amount of money that changes hands. And it’s obvious that Bezos would (or at least could) pay more than any of the other bidders.

For now, the highest bid (per Perez) is $6.3 billion. The night before the bids were due, Forbes reported that Snyder had received multiple bids “well north” of $7 billion. Which suggests that perhaps someone was spreading exaggerated information in order to goose the process.
The more I read about this, the more I think we might possibly get lucky if Bezos doesn't bid. While it's true that Bezos brings deep pockets and could do things like self-finance a stadium, some of the other bidders may bring other valuable qualities. For instance, recent reporting points to the fact that Josh Harris may be the front runner with Bezos out of the picture. Harris is native to the area as well...Chevy Chase, MD I think. Additionally, he's current owner of the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Devils (and maybe a European Football Club as well?), so he has actual experience owning pro franchises, and those franchises are fairly successful. I heard former NFL Exec Joe Banner on the Al Galdi podcast and he also indicated that Harris was an extremely smart guy and competent owner. Not saying Bezos would be bad, but we should also not discount the other people in the race, who may actually be better for the team.

That said, it would be just like Snyder to cost him self .5 to 1 billion dollars in profit just because of a small, petty, egoistic grievance. Not surprising if true.

If they stay with Howell (and don't get Carr or Jackson), they need a good backup in case things go wrong or there's an injury. Any QB drafted is not likely to touch the field this year with Rivera there. So who is that other guy ... Heinicke, Garrapolo, Kyle Allen, Brissett, Sam Darnold? The options aren't great. They are actually awful.
Yeah, this is a strategic decision, based upon how good you think you need to be THIS YEAR vs. how good you want to be long term. I feel long term, better to give Howell a shot, plug in with the likes of Brissett, Mariotta, whoever. If it doesn't work, go all in in the draft the following year. In the meantime, use QB money to pay Payne and plug holes in the offensive line.

But putting all your eggs in the 2023-4 season by trading picks for Carr and spending so much cap money that you lose Payne and live with the likes of Trai Turner and Andrew Norwell on the offensive line...no thanks.

There is no perfect solution right now were we incur no risk. Right now, I'd rather live with the risk that sets us up better for long term success...but as we've discussed, Rivera may panic and look to save his bacon this year. That's why I truly hope forces beyond his control shut that door for him and force him to go inexpensive at QB...

I've read/heard all the whispers that team is finally going to do this right, take care of Payne and players we need to sign long term and utilize the benefit of a cheap rookie contract and start Howell. If we address the o-line there is absolutely no reason this team can't be a strong playoff contender with a healthy Chase next year and hopefully a competent offensive coordinator. I mean look at the Giants, they have NOTHING at the skill positions other than Barkley, and they advanced in the playoffs. We have one heck of a trio at WR. Either one of our young TEs step up, or we draft a good one and this offense has no major liabilities on offense IMO. And the defense is already legit.

Interesting.
And just speculation, probably planted by Dan Snyder.

The Washington Post is not for sale.
Personally, I'm not really worried if Bezos buys the team or not. The main one to profit there is Dan Snyder, and I don't give a hoot for all that. I'm more interested in someone like Josh Harris buying the team, as he has a track record of successful sports ownership. Let Bezos buy the Seahawks for all I care...

Bienemy is the first guy that makes sense to hire from the list I've seen so far. I doubt he wants to come here but he's my 1st choice as of today.

Bienemy is the first guy that makes sense to hire from the list I've seen so far. I doubt he wants to come here but he's my 1st choice as of today.

As Bienemy's agent, I have informed him that the WAS OC job sucks compared to KC. Even if he's calling plays. My client will not take a lateral job and go from Pat Mahomes to Sam Howell. TIA

“The biggest thing we decided is he will start out as QB1,” Rivera said of Howell. “He will most certainly get the first opportunity. We go into OTAs and minicamp, he’ll be QB1. He’ll fight for that position. We’ll give him every opportunity to earn it, and we’ll see what happens when we get into training camp and through it.”
“No. No,” Rivera said when asked if they would be in the market for a veteran starter. “I think the biggest thing is we have to find a guy to come in that’s going to compete, but in terms of finding a guy you’re going to have to spend a lot of capital on, no. We’re not looking for a guy we’ve got to spend a lot of capital on. We’re looking for a guy that’s going to come in and compete first and foremost.”
So Sam Howell is the starter.

Undecided on exercising Chase Young's 5th year option.

Head coach Ron Rivera told reporters on Wednesday that the organization has not yet come to a consensus on whether or not to exercise Young’s fifth-year option. Via Nicki Jhabvala of the Washington Post, Rivera noted that the club needs to discuss Young’s health and review the edge rusher’s growth and development.

And it sounds a whole lot like they want to re-sign Daron Payne.

If Washington doesn’t pick up Young’s fifth-year option, Rivera said he’s not concerned about the message it would send, in part because of what the club went through with defensive tackle Daron Payne. The 13th overall pick of the 2018 draft, Payne is set to become an unrestricted free agent after he didn’t receive a contract extension before the 2022 season.

It cost us,” Rivera said, via Jhabvala, of the decision to not extend Payne. “But it cost us in a good way, because the young man played, he did things the right way. He didn’t sit out, he didn’t withhold, he could have done that sit-in during training camp, but he didn’t. And because he didn’t, now we’re in that position where we have to find a way to say, ‘thank you, OK, you’ve earned it.’”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ot-to-pick-up-chase-youngs-fifth-year-option/

Ben Standig, about Sam Howell

I’m not saying he’s the starter. I’m saying he will start as the guy with the first chance, but he will have some competition. We like (free agent) Taylor (Heinicke). We’d like to see if we can do something to get him back. We got to go out and look and see if there’s another veteran guy we want to bring in as competition. I’m not anointing anybody. I’m just telling (Sam) this is his opportunity, but he will be challenged.”

Goodbye Carson.

Interesting stuff from Sean Payton.

“Everyone’s waiting to see what happens in Washington,” Payton told Schein. “And there was some interest from some potential ownership groups that are gonna be bidding on, currently had bid on that team, that were getting ahead of the game saying, ‘Hey, if we get awarded this team, would you?’ And so there were a lot of different things at play. . . .

“That’s a place that’s had great tradition. Like, when I came into the league, Adam, my first two years were Philly. My next four years were New York Giants. And then my next three were the Cowboys. My whole entire NFL career prior to New Orleans was NFC East. And what happened to that program?”

Schein asked Payton if it made him think a little. “Listen, that place, my uncle loved the Washington franchise,” Payton said. “Last year, we go there to play and pregame I’m looking up in the crowd. A third of the fans are Saints fans. And I’m like, what happened to this place? That was one of the six pillars. . . . That was a special place. So it’ll come back.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ty-before-first-truly-official-round-of-bids/

TheAthletic.com reported on Friday that Josh Harris, who already owns multiple sports franchises, recently toured the Commanders facility. The Washington Post confirmed that report, adding that at least one other unnamed prospective buyer has done the same.

The item from TheAthletic.com also includes an important point of clarification. The first official round of bids is due in a few weeks. Prior reports had indicated that initial bids already had been made; however, those were “non-binding indications of interest,” and not technically bids. That obviously means the door remains wide open for Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, whose name has continued to surface even after the window for making bids supposedly had closed.

Joe Banner is saying Bieniemy is a done deal.
dumb question but who is Joe Banner? Connected with the Commanders?
Ex-longtime front office executive of the Eagles and for a short time with the Browns. He's been out of the league for a long time but remains connected, especially to branches of the Reid tree. I've been following him on twitter for years and he's as arrogant as they get but when he gives info out he's usually spot on.

Interesting. Wonder if he sees Howell as high upside.
you would think he would have to really like Howell to accept the position right? I mean, if he didn't, why would he take it? There isn't THAT much to love about this franchise until Dan is gone ;)
I would think no on Howell but that the rest of the league likely agrees is maybe the key.

There have been two primary school of thoughts as to why EB has not been able to get a head coaching job. Well other then race but considering several minority head coaching hires since he started interviewing for jobs let's put that aside for now.

First one is that his interviews, which have been a lot and I think more then 10 teams, have been rumored to not go great and a part of that is some past off the field incidents not being properly addressed.

The second one is that he can't escape the shadow of Reid/Mahomes, as in he's just riding their coattails nd not a big reason for their success.

It seems to me that EB thinks it's the second option and this would give him a chance to get out from that shadow. So again I doubt he's that high on Howell, but if he's the starter and he plays solid football it might be more of a win for EB then the greatness of Mahomes has been for him.

Maybe, maybe not. His first interview with the Commanders is today.
Ben Standig's probably the best beat reporter for the Commies.

Ben Standig
@BenStandig
1h

The Commanders officially announce they are interviewing Eric Bieniemy today for their offensive coordinator opening.

Maybe, maybe not. His first interview with the Commanders is today.
Ben Standig's probably the best beat reporter for the Commies.

Ben Standig
@BenStandig
1h

The Commanders officially announce they are interviewing Eric Bieniemy today for their offensive coordinator opening.

That's not a contradiction to what I posted about Banner saying it's a done deal. He in fact tweeted that out in response to reports that EB was interviewing today. As in the interview is a formality at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread