What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (9 Viewers)

Just listened to Brian Davis being interviewed by junkies. Woof. It was a rough conversation where he side stepped their questions and gave answers that contradicted themselves. I mean he's obviously made a lot of money, but one answer he says he is a billionaire, next one he says he's really not, then he says he made a deal to get $5B/year in intellectual property. He had two opposite stories about his dealings with athletes on a business deal. Maybe he was being truthful, but for a Duke guy he was not articulate at all. If I was his counselor, no way would I have him out in public doing media. Did not sound like he had it all together for his bid.

Last edited:
Just listened to Brian Davis being interviewed by junkies. Woof. It was a rough conversation where he side stepped their questions and gave answers that contradicted themselves. I mean he's obviously made a lot of money, but one answer he says he is a billionaire, next one he says he's really not, then he says he made a deal to get $5B/year in intellectual property. He had two opposite stories about his dealings with athletes on a business deal. Maybe he was being truthful, but for a Duke guy he was not articulate at all. If I was his counselor, no way would I have him out in public doing media. Did not sound like he had it all together for his bid.
I'm a diehard Duke fan since the 70s, and that take doesn't surprise me at all. He's not in the same zip code as some of the really intelligent and articulate players (Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, etc.) that have come out of the program.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/brian-davis-washington-commanders-bid/

This was an interesting read. I would also check Shawn Merriman Twitter regarding Davis.

Fun story, I'm sure it's all super shady, but the NFL isn't letting this guy within 20 miles of an NFL team. Enjoying it though, Davis seems like the guy selling crypto timeshares or something.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/brian-davis-washington-commanders-bid/

This was an interesting read. I would also check Shawn Merriman Twitter regarding Davis.

Fun story, I'm sure it's all super shady, but the NFL isn't letting this guy within 20 miles of an NFL team. Enjoying it though, Davis seems like the guy selling crypto timeshares or something.

@ProFootballTalk

This is an actual, not-The-Onion quote from Brian Davis, earlier today on @JunksRadio, on the source for his funding to buy the Commanders: “My money comes from white people . . . who are Jewish, Italian, and Sicilian.”

What's the play on Thursday? Does it even matter?
  • Stay put and draft the best TE, OT, or CB on the board
  • Sell, sell, sell .... trade every pick in 2023 for picks in 2024 and 2025 so a new GM can build fresh .... sadly Ron won't do this since it hampers him
  • Buy, buy. buy .... trade three #1 picks for Will Levis? And Ron can give a big middle finger to the org on the way out. I think he's got more class than that
So I think it's gonna be a boring draft. Pick a guy, move to the next pick. Would love to see a quality TE here more than anything else. Helps Howell. Helps the WRs. Helps the OL.

After the trade down paid so many dividends last year, I could see them doing the same thing this year. But I'd be happy with OT, CB, or TE in the 1st. I mean, I hope it doesn't happen, but I'd be happy with Robinson if he fell that far too. Wouldn't help me in FF, but as a Washington fan it would be pretty awesome.

I'm hoping for a mild trade-down. Not a complete exit from the first 2 rounds or anything, but acquire some draft capital for next year. I'd really like us to get into a spot where we can largely choose best-available this year and have some flexibility to capitalize on the needs/wants of others, then go after somebody we really want next year with management in place.

Full transparency - I'm not holding hope we do that...The clock is running on too many folks.

After the trade down paid so many dividends last year, I could see them doing the same thing this year. But I'd be happy with OT, CB, or TE in the 1st. I mean, I hope it doesn't happen, but I'd be happy with Robinson if he fell that far too. Wouldn't help me in FF, but as a Washington fan it would be pretty awesome.
I think there's a need at DE now. I don't expect they'll re-sign both Sweat and Young. I'm sad that Young's been injured so much, but he's also not so bought into the defensive scheme as the other D-linemen are. This season he can prove how good he is and that he wants to stay, and meanwhile the team can draft a good DE. Unless he drops off a cliff for some reason, I think Sweat will get re-signed between now and next season.

Besides that I think they need OT, CB, TE, and LB. Why are they satisfied to go with subpar LB's every year? So what if Jamin Davis wasn't as good as they thought, keep drafting them instead of bringing back Bostic.

Jamin Davis was not a pre-draft consensus pick for Washington.
Jahan Dotson was not a pre-draft consensus pick for Washington.
Emmanuel Forbes was not a pre-draft consensus pick for Washington.
They definitely have their own board.

Disaster. There is absolutely no excuse for blowing the 1.16 on Forbes with the Players still available. None. Especially if you're going to take a CB there. Gonzalez? Branch? Porter?

I can only imagine Teams calling Belichick about a trade-up, and him smirking, knowing the WFTskins would likely let a decent Player slip past them, into his waiting hands.

SM F'ing H

Lol whatever. Hopefully it’s our last year of absolute head scratchers. I’ve sacrificed this season to the gods in exchange for Snyders ouster so let’s just forget it and move on. New franchise begins Feb 2024.

Last year a LOT of people questioned the move back and getting Dotson instead of Olave or Jameson Williams but I think we came out smelling like roses. I'm not ready to trash this pick. The kid is skinny yes, but there is a lot to like about his game. But I hope they feed him some sammiches

Barring injury, both Gonzalez and Porter will wind up being better NFL CB's than Forbes, IMHO. He's a nice enough Player, but there were plenty of nice enough Players available at the time, and still will be, at 2.16. Forbes might even have been available at 2.16, due to questions about his size. Or a similar CB. Witherspoon and Gonzalez were the crown jewels at the position, and one fell into, and through, their laps, and there's no excuse for that. Especially when it comes to defense, when the Patriots pick right behind you and take a Player at the same position you just did, you probably made a mistake.

Other WFTskins needs: O-Line and TE. Probably OK to pass on O-Line at 1.16, but the entire TE group was available, including Kincaid and Mayer, both premium prospects who project as immediate starters and high-impact Players.

Really hoped for much better.

Last year a LOT of people questioned the move back and getting Dotson instead of Olave or Jameson Williams but I think we came out smelling like roses. I'm not ready to trash this pick. The kid is skinny yes, but there is a lot to like about his game. But I hope they feed him some sammiches
I think Doctson was a mediocre pick. Still do. Some moments. But none that another WR3 couldn't have had.

And I think Forbes is an average pick.

Ron is trying to pick solid players. And is doing it. And that is why there are no difference makers on this team. Where are the flashy stars that score 10+ TDs a year or break huge plays? Nowhere to be found. McLaurin was drafted before ron got here. No others on the team.

Modern NFL is a big play game.

Look. Levis, Kincaid, Nolan Smith could all suck. But there is significant upside potential. Ron has been anything but Riverboat Ron since he got here. Boring picks. Boring plays. PHI does it exactly the opposite. And that is why they are in the SB.

I think Doctson was a mediocre pick. Still do. Some moments. But none that another WR3 couldn't have had.
I couldn't disagree more. He overcame a pretty bad injury and was magnificent with the targets he got. 20% of his catches were TDs. 6% of Terry's catches were TDs. He and Terry both averaged right at 15 yards per catch. He was a very efficient WR and had a nose for the end zone. I think statistically he way better than mediocre. Just my humble opinion.

A couple things:

- We're only 2 rounds into a draft and that's far too early to be either celebrating or moaning. All that's being done at this point is comparing actual drafted players to their "rankings" by non-NFL GM's, coaches, and scouts. Follow up any pre-draft rankings 3 years later to see how the players actually performed and there's a huge variance. Yesterday the Lions were getting panned for ignoring rankings, and today they're getting praised for having a good draft despite not following rankings.
- I'm OK with the 2 CB's chosen because each of them is supposed to be quite good. Quez Martin can play CB, S, and nickel and has insane athletic ability. Emmanuel Forbes is supposed to be football-smart and led the country in defensive touchdowns and career interceptions. Why wouldn't I want those guys? They may bust, but initial signs say they won't. You can never have enough good CB's and you want them young, not Josh Norman-ish.
- Jahan Dotson was a pick I disliked last year due to being picked above his ranking. I was wrong. The guy had terrible QB play on a run-oriented team and still had a good season. He gets to and catches balls that few WR's would.
- Still wish they had taken Hendon Hooker in the 2nd. I think he's going to be quite a good NFL QB, and there would have been no pressure to play him anytime soon.
- There's going to be a LOT of personnel changes between the end of the draft and the beginning of the season. 3rd pre-season game and 3rd regular season game are the times to take stock of how our roster is.
- They still need O-line help and if they don't draft it, it'll probably hurt them all season. Picking up retread O-linemen in the offseason isn't going to be good enough.
- They still need TE help. Logan Thomas is a has-been. Nobody else they have is any good.
- I think they're trying to eliminate having LB's, seriously. They keep wanting safeties to play "in the box" and keep ignoring the quality of their LB's. Maybe that's smart but I think it's stupid. Imagine Roquan Smith here. That could have happened. It didn't.
- **** Dan Snyder.

My take on the NFL has been the same for the last 20 years. Modern NFL you cannot win a SB without a top 15 QB. We do not have one. Brissett has been traded so much he's obviously not the guy. Howell is an unknown. And Levis (or Hooker) would have been an unknown. But not only do we not have a SB QB, we haven't even had a true unquestioned started since Kirk Cousins left. So we leave this draft with none of the top 5 QBs ... again.

Yes, they drafted positions of need. And OL and CB/S are probably the #2 and 3 most needed positions to succeed as a team. You need like 8+ of each. They are always in demand. So I like drafting those in rounds 2 and 3. But it's all meaningless with a QB.

Let's say Forbes becomes a top 15 CB and Levis or Hooker becomes a top 15 QB. Then it was not only a bad draft pick but a horrible draft pick. Horrible ! Much like Chase Young. Could have Justin Herbert. It's the same thing 4 years later, just lower in the draft. Mistake then. Mistake now.

I'd rather strikeout on Levis (or Hooker if they preferred him) than have Forbes as a starter for 10 years. QB is ALL that matters. Everything else can be found later in the draft or in Free agency

I think Washington didn't jump on a QB because they have, in house, seen a lot of promise in Howell. And I'm a believer. Now if Howell isn't the answer, I agree with your points...but I think Howell is going to give us our best QB play since Cousins.

I think Washington didn't jump on a QB because they have, in house, seen a lot of promise in Howell. And I'm a believer. Now if Howell isn't the answer, I agree with your points...but I think Howell is going to give us our best QB play since Cousins.
I think WSH is in a really good spot. Drafting Hooker would have been fine, but I don't think there's much chance Hooker is better than Howell (but both are obviously really unknowns).

Commanders best path, right now, is to keep building the best team possible and hope you struck gold in Howell.
A good team around a good, cheap QB on a rookie deal is about the best you can hope for if you don't have a Mahomes or Burrow. There are good reasons to believe Howell can be solid enough to roll with, so why not take a shot.

And if he's not that guy, we'll know somewhere around October. About 25 NFL teams don't really have the right guy right now. Most either don't know it or are just paying a stop-gap until they find the right guy.

Many will just end up being wrong, and they'll pay dearly for it.

Contrast with the Panthers, who I think are going to rue the day they passed on Howell. They passed on Howell and since have given up a truckload of assets to land a QB that may not be better than Howell.

I didn’t want them to make any big quarterback commitments. It’s a lame duck year and all I care about is the transition. Get Harris in here, let him get a feel for the place, then hire his front office after the season and let them build a coaching staff. Then, let those people make the decisions.

I don’t want people who aren’t going to be here very long to be making big decisions that impact us several years from now. Glad they’re rolling with Howell…give him a chance and see what happens. Deep down we all know it’s gonna fail, but it’s just one year and soon enough we will get to start fresh.

I don't think Howell is going to fail. I believe he's going to do very very well. Yes, I really believe that.

Hope you’re right man. I think he’s a guy who will stick around the league but I’ll be shocked if quarterback isn’t priority number 1 heading into 2024. Rooting for him though.

I like the draft. Ultimately this is a transition year and the eagles are trying to buy a chip. This season is to evaluate everyone. Id love to get lucky and have Howell pan out. If not i really hope it’s a number 1 pick for us next season.

I hope ChrisRod works hard and makes an impact for you guys. He was so fun to watch at UK his sophomore and junior years, didn't have a great line last year.

I'm unsure how Howell will do. He was drafted in the 5th round even though he generally had a 3rd round grade. The prior year some people had a 1st round grade on him. I've only seen him play 1 NFL game. I just have no idea so I'll root like hell for him like I did for Heinicke. Pretty sure Howell will have better protection from the O-line this year than he did last year, and that he'll make the opposing defense cover the entire field instead of only 2/3 of the field like they had to for Heinicke. I also think the defense this year will give the ball back to the offense more often than they did last year.

Round 1: No. 16 – Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State

Round 2: No. 47 – Jartavius Martin, S, Illinois

Round 3: No. 97 – Ricky Stromberg, C, Arkansas

Round 4: No. 118 – Braeden Daniels, G, Utah

Round 5: No. 137 (from AZ through BUF) – K.J. Henry, DE, Clemson

Round 6: No. 193 – Chris Rodriguez, RB, Kentucky

Round 7: No. 233 – Andre Jones, LB, Louisiana

UDFA Mitchell Tinsley, WR Penn State, transferred from Western Kentucky. Was WKY's leading receiver as a Sophomore in 2020, was Bailey Zappe's top target in 2021, ( All-Cconference USA, 8th in the Nation in receiving yards, 5th in the Nation in TD's), and acquitted himself well in State College in 2022, ostensibly as Jahan Dotson's replacement: started 9/13 games, 51/577/5, sharing the targets with 2nd Rd pick TE Brenton Strange and 6th Round WR Parker Washington.

Yes, I'm a Penn State guy, but this kid has a lot of potential, and has time to develop.

Commanders UDFA'a so far

• UCLA WR Kazmeir Allen
  • Hawaii WR Zion Bowens
  • Ole Miss OT Mason Brooks
  • Michigan State DB Xavier Henderson
  • Bowie State DT Joshua Pryor
  • Minnesota WR Jalen Sample
  • Illinois Safety Kendall Smith
  • Penn State WR Mitchell Tinsley

I like the draft. Ultimately this is a transition year and the eagles are trying to buy a chip. This season is to evaluate everyone. Id love to get lucky and have Howell pan out. If not i really hope it’s a number 1 pick for us next season.
This was not the off-season to go nuts trying to improve a QB situation. For most teams, and especially the Commanders. Perfect year for "eh, let's roll the dice with what we've got this year, and see what we can do in 2024".

I think the Colts might be the only team that made a strong investment in a new QB this off-season that will have made a great choice (Young/Stroud are fine, but I don't see franchise-changer).

And the teams that did it through FA........I think the Jets are morons and screwed up the great momentum they were building for a possible one-year shot to be the 4th best team in the AFC, Saints and Raiders are unlikely to have altered the trajectory of the organization in a massive way (although the Saints could certainly grab an easy NFC South title).

Commanders UDFA'a so far

• UCLA WR Kazmeir Allen
  • Hawaii WR Zion Bowens
  • Ole Miss OT Mason Brooks
  • Michigan State DB Xavier Henderson
  • Bowie State DT Joshua Pryor
  • Minnesota WR Jalen Sample
  • Illinois Safety Kendall Smith
  • Penn State WR Mitchell Tinsley
I hope one of these guys can be a good return man. That's got to be one of our worst positions in recent memory. I don't know the stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if we were worst in the league 4 of the last 5 years

Updated list of UDFA's

* = invited to minicamp

Washington Commanders Undrafted Free Agents

• Ali Shockley, S, Hampton*
  • Brad Roberts, RB, Air Force*
  • Brian Cobbs, WR, Utah State*
  • Brycen Tremayne, WR, Stanford
  • Chase Brice, QB, Appalachian State*
  • D.J. Stirgus, CB, Missouri Western
  • Jalen Sample, WR, Minnesota State
  • Jason Shelley, QB, Missouri State*
  • Joshua Pryor, DL, Bowie State
  • Kazmeir Allen, WR/KR, UCLA
  • Kendall Smith, S, Illinois
  • Mason Brooks, OL, Ole Miss
  • Michael Sawyer Jr., CB, Concord
  • Mitchell Tinsley, WR, Penn State
  • Tim DeMorat, QB, Fordham
  • Will Wallace, TE, Tulane
  • Xavier Henderson, S, Michigan State
  • Zion Bowens, WR, Hawaii

I will go on record that I think our draft was absolutely horrible and I can’t wait to see who we replace this front office with after the season. Just bad value from start to finish.

Ron became a HC in 2011. He had an obvious draft pick at #1 with Cam Newton so throw that out because someone decided that before Ron even took the job.

Here are his first round picks since.

2012 Luke Kuechly
2013 Star Lotulelei
2014 Kelvin Benjamin
2015 Shaq Thompson
2016 Vernon Butler
2017 Christian McCaffrey
2018 D. J. Moore
2019 Brian Burns (FIRED)
2020 Chase Young
2021 Jamin Davis
2022 Jahan Dotson
2023 Emmanuel Forbes

Other than Kuechly and McCaffrey that's a load of crappy players. In the 6 years at the tail end of that list where he needed a QB in CAR and WAS ... He has picked 3 defensive busts and 2 mid tier WRs. And this year a 160 pound CB that we will find out about.

Ron doesn't value the guy behind center. That's all you need to know about why he is a F-level coach

I don't think it's reasonable to call DJ Moore and Chase Young crappy players.
Dotson will probably be a decent starter for a while, too.

Ben Standig
@BenStandig

The Commanders have agreed to terms with Fordham QB Tim DeMorat, source confirms. 6-foot-3 passer. 2022 stats: 4,891 yards and 56 TDs Brugler: "DeMorat must develop his eye discipline to be a consistent small-window thrower in the NFL, but he is a functional athlete with the arm and intangibles to be a developmental option."

Users who are viewing this thread