What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (1 Viewer)

Soooo is Thompson for real or is this a flash, homers? TIA
Real football:  for real 100%

Fantasy Football:  with limited touches there will be big games and quiet games.  But legit flex if you are in need.  Just keep in mind limited touches and the risk that entails

Redskins looked really good last night. So much so that I have to think were they that good, or was Oakland equally as bad? The Raiders offense and Derek Carr just looked totally confused all night. Some of that was due to the Redskins, but the Raiders never seemed to make any adjustments.

I have to give Gruden and the coaches credit because that was a very well coached team out there. I don't know if it will last, but for last night, they did a great job.

Redskins looked really good last night. So much so that I have to think were they that good, or was Oakland equally as bad? The Raiders offense and Derek Carr just looked totally confused all night. Some of that was due to the Redskins, but the Raiders never seemed to make any adjustments.

I have to give Gruden and the coaches credit because that was a very well coached team out there. I don't know if it will last, but for last night, they did a great job.
I have not seen the defense play that well in a very long time.  There was consistent pressure on Carr last night (Oakland's O-Line is pretty good).  I think The Redskins will continue to have issues applying pressure to QBs like Wentz and Prescott who can escape and move around but if they can stay healthy and play like they did last night this defense can hang with just about anybody.

3 changes I've seen since Manusky took over for Joe Barry as DC

1. The defense quickly lines up and knows what they're to do. Under Barry they were always moving, asking each other questions, looking confused right up til the snap. There's little or none of that this year. They know where to be and what to do.

2. They're more aggressive, from the line to the LB's to the backfield.

3. They tackle better; much, much better. Zach Brown in particular is just a tackling machine.

1. The defense quickly lines up and knows what they're to do. Under Barry they were always moving, asking each other questions, looking confused right up til the snap. There's little or none of that this year. They know where to be and what to do.

3. They tackle better; much, much better. Zach Brown in particular is just a tackling machine.
There was one play last night (one of the plays after the Perine fumble) where a LB looked confused. Swearinger grabbed the LB and pointed where he was supposed to be. That's about the only confusion I've noticed and it was quickly remedied by Swearinger. 

Yes, yes, and yes.

# 3 is very UNDERRATED.  It's just amazing the number of sure tackles they make now.  

Last night was the first time since I don’t know when that there was even the slightest inkling that they may be developing an identity on defense. And that has me excited. I’m not anointing them but there’s something there. 

Last night was the first time since I don’t know when that there was even the slightest inkling that they may be developing an identity on defense. And that has me excited. I’m not anointing them but there’s something there. 
I agree. The defense seems to really be coming together. A bunch of good young pieces too. Really been impressed with Preston Smith so far.

Chris Thompson is legit..his #'s arent going to go down , these numbers are here to stay..I think Gruden has figured out that CT is his best offensive player ( other than Cousins) and he's going to play CT till his legs fall off..he doesn't need a ton of carries to be incredibly productive..

easily going to be a fantasy football top 10 RB the remainder of the season.

Gruden's job is pretty much on the line, he's sticking with his greatest weapon..

Correct. Just like there was no way they beat the mighty Raiders during prime time. :reversejinx:
Latest odds show Chief's giving 7.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/20808335/nfl-full-list-week-4-odds-westgate-las-vegas-superbook

This appears to be fair to me, particularly as the Chiefs are playing at home.  Already they have shown a bit more than the Redskins + you have to bump them a little more for home field advantage.

Bottom line, the Redskins have a chance but probably need to play a flawless game as they did versus Oakland.  As week 3 in the NFL showed, any given Sunday anything can happen in the NFL...

What are the odds that Kelley, Foster, and/or Reed play on Monday night?

Of the three, I most anxious that Kelley plays, because Perrine just isn't getting it done.  KC is a tougher test.  We need Kelley in there to establish a run game and grind out some long drives.

Of course, I'd like to see Reed and Foster out there but their replacements seem more capable to me.

Anyone have news on these guys?

Of the three, I most anxious that Kelley plays, because Perrine just isn't getting it done.  KC is a tougher test.  We need Kelley in there to establish a run game and grind out some long drives.

Of course, I'd like to see Reed and Foster out there but their replacements seem more capable to me.

This was from John Keim on today's practice, about 15 minutes ago. 

Players limited: TE Jordan Reed (ribs/shoulder), RB Rob Kelley (ribs), LB Mason Foster (shoulder), DE Matt Ioannidis (shoulder). Reed worked some in team but his status for Monday remains uncertain.

also: Tackle Ty Nsekhe will miss three to six weeks after undergoing core muscle surgery. T.J. Clemmings now becomes the Redskins' backup tackle.

This was from John Keim on today's practice, about 15 minutes ago. 

Players limited: TE Jordan Reed (ribs/shoulder), RB Rob Kelley (ribs), LB Mason Foster (shoulder), DE Matt Ioannidis (shoulder). Reed worked some in team but his status for Monday remains uncertain.

also: Tackle Ty Nsekhe will miss three to six weeks after undergoing core muscle surgery. T.J. Clemmings now becomes the Redskins' backup tackle.
Woah...didn't realize about Ty...makes our OLine a little thin.  It was nice to have such a capable guy as back up.  Don't know much about Clemmings.

Sounds like all of those guys are iffy.  I'll hold my breath until Monday...

In the meantime thanks for the info...

MikeApf said:

Agreed.  I definitely think we need Kelley back.  Are ribs something they can just inject a pain killer to handle?  I feel like that is an injury that just lingers for a while and you either play through pain or not. 

Perine needs time, and game-speed reps. If those things come at the expense of Rob Kelley, by injury or Coach's decision, I'm fine with it. Fat Rob is so ordinary and uninspiring, IMHO, that a JAG like Mack Brown actually provided more electricity than either of them. That's pretty sad, again, IMHO. Get Perine the work/reps he needs in order to stop thinking, and start playing by instinct, and vary things up with capable Mack Brown and lightning bolt CT, to keep the threat of the run at least reasonably legitimate...keep the KC Defense honest, and we'll have a puncher's chance, as long as Cousins takes what the defense gives him, and our own defense doesn't crumble...wow, that's a lot that needs to go right, not to mention one of the toughest road environments in NFL, and another prime-time night game, where, despite that absolutely stunning performance vs the Raiders, we still have a long way to go to getting that trend off our backs...

...there's been nothing but steady improvement over these 1st 3 games. That's great. I'm not ready to say with any confidence that they can string together two performances like that together in a row, especially given the circumstances surrounding the opponent/venue/etc...

...but, man, 3-1 going into the bye week would be so far beyond my wildest dreams...would more than make up for that Week 1 $h1t$how...

Perine needs time, and game-speed reps. If those things come at the expense of Rob Kelley, by injury or Coach's decision, I'm fine with it. Fat Rob is so ordinary and uninspiring, IMHO, that a JAG like Mack Brown actually provided more electricity than either of them. That's pretty sad, again, IMHO. Get Perine the work/reps he needs in order to stop thinking, and start playing by instinct, and vary things up with capable Mack Brown and lightning bolt CT, to keep the threat of the run at least reasonably legitimate...keep the KC Defense honest, and we'll have a puncher's chance, as long as Cousins takes what the defense gives him, and our own defense doesn't crumble...wow, that's a lot that needs to go right, not to mention one of the toughest road environments in NFL, and another prime-time night game, where, despite that absolutely stunning performance vs the Raiders, we still have a long way to go to getting that trend off our backs...

...there's been nothing but steady improvement over these 1st 3 games. That's great. I'm not ready to say with any confidence that they can string together two performances like that together in a row, especially given the circumstances surrounding the opponent/venue/etc...

...but, man, 3-1 going into the bye week would be so far beyond my wildest dreams...would more than make up for that Week 1 $h1t$how...
True Kelley and Brown may be JAG-ish, but what do you see in Perine that convinces you that he's not a JAG?  I'm not going on college...a lot of RBs look terrific in college and don't get it done in pros.  Believe me, I totally think we need to upgrade the RB position beyond Kelley...I agree with you there.  But I'm not sure that Perrine is the answer.  And at 2-1, we're not simply in "lets give guys experience" mode...we actually have something to play and win for, so best guys gotta play IMO.  Maybe this is my way of say Kelly is the best of the 3 JAGS out of Kelley, Perrine and Brown.  Also, Perrine's fumbling really bothers me.  That alone drops him a notch in my book (see Jones, Matt...)

If we went 3-1 with a starting schedule of Eagles, Rams, Raiders and Chiefs, that would be just a HUGE win.  In fact, the 2-2 we're guaranteed to be at leading up to San Francisco is honestly what I optimistically hoped for and still positions us well, since we will have those 2 tough AFC West games behind us...

Would have liked to win but proud how hard the team played esp with all the injuries.  They prooved that the Oakland performance was not a fluke.  There is legit reason to hope rhat they'll complete in the division.

Bye week comes at a good time to get healthy.

Win vs SF after the bye and that Philly MNF game is going to be huge...

Thanks, Jay Gruden, for losing this game. Abandoning the running game in the 2nd quarter, not using Chris Thompson nearly enough, looking confused and frustrated with your play list --- you really inspired confidence in a team that fought like hell despite injuries against a better team. They had a chance to win, but your piss poor clock management at the end of the game took that chance away from them. You should be benched for a couple games.

Tough loss. Definitely was a winnable game, which I didn't think was possible coming in. The defense played as well as they could with all the injuries in the 2nd half. Losing Norman is a tough blow, hopefully it's nothing too serious.

My biggest gripe from the game is why didn't we use Thompson more? 6 carries and 1 catch? Really? And that was with Kelley down most of the game.

Overall, we went toe-to-toe with the best team in the league in their place and played well enough to win. 2-2 at the bye isn't the worse thing and the bye looks to be coming at the right time with all the injuries.

Thanks, Jay Gruden, for losing this game. Abandoning the running game in the 2nd quarter, not using Chris Thompson nearly enough, looking confused and frustrated with your play list --- you really inspired confidence in a team that fought like hell despite injuries against a better team. They had a chance to win, but your piss poor clock management at the end of the game took that chance away from them. You should be benched for a couple games.
I get that NFL coaches have a lot more on their plate then worrying about strategic decisions (clock management, 4th downs, etc.), and Jay has generally done a good job for the last couple seasons. And you can't be too mad about taking one one of the best teams in the league down to the final minute on the road after losing so many guys to injury during the game. Especially with some iffy calls going against you.

But NFL teams are billion dollar operations.  Why can't they just pay some reasonably intelligent guy $100K or so to sit up on the booth and do nothing but anticipate and advise them on clock management, 4th downs and other strategic decisions?  Hell, I'll do it for the free tickets and parking. There was the obvious idiotic time out with 57 seconds left in the fourth quarter that ended up costing the team the game, but there was also a terrible 4th down call early in the game.  They were up 10-0 I believe and had a 4th and 2 around the Chiefs' 40 and they punted it away.

I get that NFL coaches have a lot more on their plate then worrying about strategic decisions (clock management, 4th downs, etc.), and Jay has generally done a good job for the last couple seasons. And you can't be too mad about taking one one of the best teams in the league down to the final minute on the road after losing so many guys to injury during the game. Especially with some iffy calls going against you.

But NFL teams are billion dollar operations.  Why can't they just pay some reasonably intelligent guy $100K or so to sit up on the booth and do nothing but anticipate and advise them on clock management, 4th downs and other strategic decisions?  Hell, I'll do it for the free tickets and parking. There was the obvious idiotic time out with 57 seconds left in the fourth quarter that ended up costing the team the game, but there was also a terrible 4th down call early in the game.  They were up 10-0 I believe and had a 4th and 2 around the Chiefs' 40 and they punted it away.
Yep, that timeout was ridiculous. More specifically, calling the timeout so early was ridiculous. Wait until 1 second remaining in the play clock and then call it. I was saying, "KC should call a timeout" and then Gruden did it for them. In general, if the other team would benefit from the clock stopping, then you should let it run. 

Yep, that timeout was ridiculous. More specifically, calling the timeout so early was ridiculous. Wait until 1 second remaining in the play clock and then call it. I was saying, "KC should call a timeout" and then Gruden did it for them. In general, if the other team would benefit from the clock stopping, then you should let it run. 
I was amazed the Reid wasn't calling one until I remembered it's Andy Reid dealing with clock management ... and then Gruden bailed him out. IIRC they could have taken the clock down to around 30 seconds before the 3rd and 2 play, so the Chiefs would have started with about 25 seconds on the clock after the touchback. I'm betting they would have taken a knee and gone to OT in that situation even with the 2 time outs.  And even if we'd converted instead of throwing to the end zone we still would have had two time outs. 25 seconds and two time outs in the red zone is an eternity, pretty much the whole playbook is an option.

Agreed. That was a terrible use of a TO there. We were already in FG range, so it's not like you were worried about that. As soon as we kicked the FG, I texted my buddies and said we left too much time on the clock. Pretty rough clock management by Gruden there.

Seeing Redskins favored by 9 this Sunday.

I do not like seeing us favored by so much.  Do not like it at all! 

#hopefulbutnervousbasedonourhistory

Seeing Redskins favored by 9 this Sunday.

I do not like seeing us favored by so much.  Do not like it at all! 

#hopefulbutnervousbasedonourhistory
Definitely a game they should win. I could see them winning 27-20. 9 seems a bit much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely a game they should win. I could see them winning 27-20. 9 seems a bit much.
I will say they *can* win, but only if they play defense like they have for several weeks. 

They are building a decent team but two things make me nervous:  a.) still lots of injuries apparently.  and b.) we do not have a track record of consistency and have played down to level of opposition...that was in previous years so don't know if will apply this year...still, nervous.

I would definitely say Skins deserve to be favored, but would give them a 3 point edge rather than 9.  I definitely don't want our guys going into this game thinking, "We got it."

Last edited by a moderator:
Stole this from CBS Sports

The NFL season is a grind. Even though teams only play once a week, each game wears on a player and makes them more vulnerable as the season goes on. The hope is the schedule is fair, but we know that's not always the case. And that brings us to the San Francisco 49ers, who are playing their third road game in a row in Week 6 at Washington.

The three-game trip started in Arizona in Week 4, and moved on to Indianapolis in Week 5, and both of those games went to overtime. San Francisco lost both. The 49ers will have traveled nearly 10,000 miles over a 16-day period, according to the Mercury News, and they have already played 10 quarters before kicking off against Washington.

To make matters worse, the Washington Redskins are coming off a bye. So we have a tired defense against what should be a fresh offense at home.

Users who are viewing this thread