What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Washington Redskins 2013 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

PFF table showing QB stats against the blitz. I'm guessing the low blitz % is due to the read option threat. Still, Griffin is slingin' it with the best of them.
Usually the logic is to blitz a rookie QB to death. I wonder if he was blitzed heavily early in the season and less later in the season as teams had to respect the read option.I looked at the blitz attempts as a % of total dropbacks (attempts + sacks) and Griffin was definitely the lowest of that group at 22%. The next lowest was Rodgers at 24%. Manning was the highest at 34%.

I think I still may be in denial that this guy is actually our QB.
I'm torn between giddiness that he's our QB and worry that he'll never live up to what I now think he should be. The injuries are obviously part of that concern, but so are irrelevant factors like me being a Caps fan who is pained by seeing the decline of Ovechkin. And I'm in a similar position with Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg as I am with RG3. I just hope these guys can continue to progress and truly be great players with HOF-type careers.

Rob Jackson suspended 4 games to start the season in 2013 for testing positive for a banned substance. Lost appeal, confirmed by NFL. Rumor is that it was an unprescribed painkiller.

Edit, more details:

Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen 30s

Someone familiar w/ Rob Jackson's situation said he took an unprescribed pain med to help w/ toothache one day before a random drug test.

Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen 17s

.. The unprescribed medicine had codeine in it, which resulted in his failed drug test according to this source. Appeals process is ongoing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Jackson suspended 4 games to start the season in 2013 for testing positive for a banned substance. Lost appeal, confirmed by NFL. Rumor is that it was an unprescribed painkiller.Edit, more details:Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen 30sSomeone familiar w/ Rob Jackson's situation said he took an unprescribed pain med to help w/ toothache one day before a random drug test.Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen 17s.. The unprescribed medicine had codeine in it, which resulted in his failed drug test according to this source. Appeals process is ongoing.
Good grief. Way too many suspensions for this team recently.

Rob Jackson suspended 4 games to start the season in 2013 for testing positive for a banned substance. Lost appeal, confirmed by NFL. Rumor is that it was an unprescribed painkiller.Edit, more details:Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen 30sSomeone familiar w/ Rob Jackson's situation said he took an unprescribed pain med to help w/ toothache one day before a random drug test.Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen 17s.. The unprescribed medicine had codeine in it, which resulted in his failed drug test according to this source. Appeals process is ongoing.
Yep. While Jackson's story is plausible and innocuous enough for the average Joe, it boggles my mind that an NFL player would ever ingest unprescribed medication (unless they are trying to circumvent the rules). If you have a medical condition of any kind and feel you need something stronger than an Advil, call the freakin' team doc and get him to prescribe something or set up an official visit to a dentist/doctor/whatever. Stuff like this should be hammered in to player's heads even before they are drafted. And if it already is, shame on Jackson for being so careless. The team is already in a precarious situation from a personnel standpoint. How much harder it going to be to sign draft picks and FAs if they now need a replacement OLB for 4 games to start the season.

Rob Jackson suspended 4 games to start the season in 2013 for testing positive for a banned substance. Lost appeal, confirmed by NFL. Rumor is that it was an unprescribed painkiller.

Edit, more details:

Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen 30s

Someone familiar w/ Rob Jackson's situation said he took an unprescribed pain med to help w/ toothache one day before a random drug test.

Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen 17s

.. The unprescribed medicine had codeine in it, which resulted in his failed drug test according to this source. Appeals process is ongoing.
'Skins lead league in PED/substance abuse suspensions since '11.

NFC's worst heading into 2013 season

I love this and the only thing I'd rather read about sports would be "Coach K retires effective immediately"
That's a good read, does my heart good. I was also stoked to see The Iggles sign Chip Kelley, he's got Spurrier 2.0 written all over him.
I think that may be wishful thinking regarding Chip Kelley. Two things that I have read about him which make him un-Spurrier like is one, that he is not married to one offensive scheme, he has run different schemes at different places depending on his personnel, and two, he is an extremely hard worker and is not worried about when he can get his next golf game in (like Spurrier was). Of course, being an Eagles fan, it is wishful thinking on my part that he is not like Spurrier.

The more I listen to James Andrews the less confident I get for RG3 future. It is obvious that his best interest is not the player but his buddy Dan Synder and his reputation that took a hit last year because of the handling of him last year. He just doesn't sound realistic about it. At this rate he will be starting in week 1 of preseason listening to him

Injury update:

My son reported that he saw RG3 throw a pass to an elephant on the news this morning. And, "it didn't even look like he had something on his leg."

Watch out NFC East!

The more I listen to James Andrews the less confident I get for RG3 future. It is obvious that his best interest is not the player but his buddy Dan Synder and his reputation that took a hit last year because of the handling of him last year. He just doesn't sound realistic about it. At this rate he will be starting in week 1 of preseason listening to him
I don't understand this at all.His reputation is sterling, I don't think it took much of a hit last year, Shanahan took the bullet for everyone. He's not buddies with Dan Snyder as far as I know- working for the Skins is like a tiny fraction of his practice. And as far as I can tell he has nothing to gain from overselling the recovery. What exactly is the argument? That Snyder is paying him off to help sell season tickets or something? I really don't follow.

He does work for the Skins and is friends with the boss. For the hundreds of athletes he has worked for as far as I know the Skins are the only one he actually works for even part time.

I agree that his reputation in the past has been amazing but can you remember the last time he would constantly over and over again tell people about a player progress. Maybe he did it for Bo Jackson (think he worked on him?). And with such statements as him being "superhuman" in his recovery. Now maybe RG3 will be back to his 2012 ways and he is "superhuman" but don't set this kid up for unrealistic expectations if he is only 70% the guy who amazed people against the Vikings. My issue is that a doctor best interest should be the patient not the team he plays for. Obviously the team is promoting him back for Week 1 because they are a better team with him then Kirk Cousins and it is obvious that a number of national TV games (hence money) would be lost with less RG3 on the field

He does work for the Skins and is friends with the boss. For the hundreds of athletes he has worked for as far as I know the Skins are the only one he actually works for even part time. I agree that his reputation in the past has been amazing but can you remember the last time he would constantly over and over again tell people about a player progress. Maybe he did it for Bo Jackson (think he worked on him?). And with such statements as him being "superhuman" in his recovery. Now maybe RG3 will be back to his 2012 ways and he is "superhuman" but don't set this kid up for unrealistic expectations if he is only 70% the guy who amazed people against the Vikings. My issue is that a doctor best interest should be the patient not the team he plays for. Obviously the team is promoting him back for Week 1 because they are a better team with him then Kirk Cousins and it is obvious that a number of national TV games (hence money) would be lost with less RG3 on the field
I agree that it's weird that he's coming out and saying this, and I wish he hadn't done so. But I don't see how that equates to some vast conspiracy. How do we know that he's not giving his genuine medical impression of RGIII and his recovery to date? I think he's rich and famous and respected enough that he doesn't have to do part-time work for the Redskins marketing department.Also I'm not sure why you say he's done it "over and over again." To my knowledge this is the first time he's really said anything since the surgery. And the media is gonna be on him since RGIII's recovery is a huge story- he can't just avoid the questions entirely.Also, national TV revenue is split equally among the teams, so more national games doesn't really mean more money. again, I just don't see a reason for a marketing push. Maybe he's just excited about the guy's recovery to date.

He does work for the Skins and is friends with the boss. For the hundreds of athletes he has worked for as far as I know the Skins are the only one he actually works for even part time.
You'd be wrong. He's at every Alabama home game as well as the Skins home games. I'm guessing he just likes money.

You'd be wrong. He's at every Alabama home game as well as the Skins home games. I'm guessing he just likes money.
He also is a practicing surgeon. The idea that there is an ulterior motive here that has him overstating the progress is silly.Jackson's positive test has sizzurp written all over it.Loved Fred Davis's Fred Sanford reference today.

So who read Griffin's text to Trey Wingo as some sort of indictment of Shanahan, or the medical staff, or the 'Skins organization as a whole?

My knee is getting better every day. The doctors say I'm ahead of schedule. My goal is to return healthy in week one but if I'm not ready then i will wait until i am, however long that is. My first NFL season and my injury that ended it showed me a lot about the league, my team and myself. i know where my responsibility is within the dilemma that led to me having surgery to repair my knee and all parties involved know their responsibilities as well. I m looking forward to playing the game we all love so much again and not behind at the negative. thanks for the overwhelming level of support that i've received, sic em bears and hail to the redskins!!
Apparently, on PTI, Kornheiser and Wilbon called it a direct shot at Shanahan. PFT perpetuated their comments and now the Twitter-verse is apparently full of people speculating about a bad relationship between Griffin and Shanahan. Sounds like a huge case of making mountains out of mole hills to me.Gotta love the offseason.

If Fred Davis signs with the Bills, how much cap space does that create for the Redskins?

With the additional cap space, would there be a starting CB or S to sign still?

Fred Davis is the best TE on the roster, but it could be that Paul/Paulsen combo is serviceable enough to justify letting Fred walk if it nets them a new CB/Safety. I'm thinking that not having Davis is not going to absolutely lose you games, but not having guys who can cover WILL lose you games...

Wow. 'Skins sign Darryl Tapp. He would have to be an OLB right? I wonder what his price was? I've got to think he isn't being paid as a cheap back-up/special-teamer. Are they worried about Orakpo's recovery?

Wow. 'Skins sign Darryl Tapp. He would have to be an OLB right? I wonder what his price was? I've got to think he isn't being paid as a cheap back-up/special-teamer. Are they worried about Orakpo's recovery?
It was a 1-year deal, so it had to be VERY cheap, without the luxury of spreading the cap hit into the nonexistent future years of the deal. He's depth and insurance, with Jackson suspended for the first 4 games of the season. Will be good competition.

It was a 1-year deal, so it had to be VERY cheap, without the luxury of spreading the cap hit into the nonexistent future years of the deal. He's depth and insurance, with Jackson suspended for the first 4 games of the season. Will be good competition.
Yeah, I just looked up his stats. I was remembering some of his more productive years in Seattle but forgetting that they were 5-6 years ago. He was far less productive in Philly.

Fred Davis scraps visit to Jets; deciding between Redskins, Bills

Free agent tight end Fred Davis canceled his trip to meet with the New York Jets and has narrowed his choice of teams down to the Redskins and Buffalo Bills, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed Thursday night.Davis, who has spent his first five seasons with Washington, has offers from the Redskins and Bills on the table. He visited Buffalo’s facility Thursday, but left without signing and was planning on paying the Jets a visit.But he changed his plans Thursday night – a development first reported by NBC’s ProFootballTalk.Despite still recovering from surgery to repair a ruptured left Achilles’ tendon – an injury that reduced his 2012 season to seven games — Davis has generated interest on the free agent market.Members of Bills brass visited Davis in the D.C. area over the weekend, and then hosted him this week. Washington, meanwhile, had maintained interest in re-signing the USC product throughout the offseason.Ahead of schedule in his rehab, Davis is expected to return to full strength by June.Davis has repeatedly state his desire to remain with Washington, but has also said he wanted to explore all options. Washington’s quarterback situation holds more promise than does the Bills, who don’t have an established quarterback on the roster.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/03/28/fred-davis-scraps-visit-to-jets-deciding-between-redskins-bills/

Rotoworld:

Redskins re-signed TE Fred Davis to a one-year contract.Davis is staying home even though the Bills' offer was reportedly "a little better," and for two years. Recovering from a torn Achilles' tendon, Davis has wisely saddled up for a one-year deal, which gives him the opportunity to prove he's healthy and cash in with a bigger contract next offseason. Davis' role in the Redskins' Robert Griffin III-driven offense was never quite clear before he went down last season, but he still has TE1 upside. If healthy, he could enter 2013 as the Redskins' No. 2 option in the passing game. Davis is tentatively expected to be ready for training camp.
Glad to hear it.

good news for Skins fans. Especially the 1 year deal. He'll hopefully stay off the wacky stuff and have best career season so he can earn that next big contract!

For some reason, I'm fairly indifferent about the re-signing of Fred. It's certainly not bad, but I also don't think it's anything great. He just wasn't super involved last year when he was playing.

For some reason, I'm fairly indifferent about the re-signing of Fred. It's certainly not bad, but I also don't think it's anything great. He just wasn't super involved last year when he was playing.
I read today that when he got hurt he was leading the team in receptions and yards through week 7 (24-325). Granted those aren't great numbers, but he accumulated them while Garcon was out, and the whole passing game was pretty lackluster. I'm curious to see when they're on the field together.

if the Skins don't take an impact WR in the draft, I don't see how Fred won't be MORE involved this year. Other than Garcon, he's light years better than any other threat they have in the passing game...

Per Wikipedia, James Andrews is the team doctor for Alabama, Auburn, and the Redskins.I am guessing he likes sports and likes being on the sideline.

I read today that when he got hurt he was leading the team in receptions and yards through week 7 (24-325). Granted those aren't great numbers, but he accumulated them while Garcon was out, and the whole passing game was pretty lackluster. I'm curious to see when they're on the field together.
I am not indifferent about the signing...He is a WEAPONWith Garcon and Davis healthy and bonding w Bobby 3 Sticks, the offense will be even better than it was in '12 :football:

'killing joke said:
'mzkp54 said:
'dgreen said:
I am not indifferent about the signing...He is a WEAPONWith Garcon and Davis healthy and bonding w Bobby 3 Sticks, the offense will be even better than it was in '12 :football:
It also makes Morgan and Moss more attractive as well they should be pretty productive matching up against a teams 3rd and 4th best DBs.

'killing joke said:
'mzkp54 said:
'dgreen said:
It also makes Morgan and Moss more attractive as well they should be pretty productive matching up against a teams 3rd and 4th best DBs.
Reminds of 10yrs ago when I could have been caught saying "With Coles and Gardner taking away the other team's best coever guys, who is going to cover Danerian McCants?" CHAMPIONSHIP!

Sounds like a really good deal for the Redskins. And Davis can cash in next year if he has a good season.

Anthony Armstrong was at my wife's family's Easter dinner yesterday. He is shorter than I expected.

Rehab Watch

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III is expected to receive clearance to resume running on the field within the next week, his father said.
“He’s been running in the pool, and some on the treadmill,” he told The Post. “But they’re just about ready to take it out on the field.”

Griffin tore the ACL, lateral collateral ligament and meniscus in his right knee during Washington’s Jan. 6 playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks. He had surgery Jan. 9 to repair all three ligaments. By Feb. 2, when he accepted the rookie of the year award on the eve of the Super Bowl, he was walking without crutches.

Brought back Hall

Redskins re-signed CB DeAngelo Hall to a one-year contract.
Returning to Washington at a reduced rate was always a possibility, and became likelier and likelier as the 29-year-old drew zero interest after being released three weeks ago. Hall started all 17 games last season and recorded 102 tackles, 15 pass breakups, and four interceptions. Teaming Hall with Josh Wilson and E.J. Biggers gives the Redskins a decent cornerback trio, and signing free agent CB Antoine Winfield still isn't out of the question.

Brought back Hall

Redskins re-signed CB DeAngelo Hall to a one-year contract.
Returning to Washington at a reduced rate was always a possibility, and became likelier and likelier as the 29-year-old drew zero interest after being released three weeks ago. Hall started all 17 games last season and recorded 102 tackles, 15 pass breakups, and four interceptions. Teaming Hall with Josh Wilson and E.J. Biggers gives the Redskins a decent cornerback trio, and signing free agent CB Antoine Winfield still isn't out of the question.
Reportedly it's a 1-year, $2.25 million deal. That's fantastic. The bolded above is interesting, if true. Mike Jones reported this:

Hall generated interest from several teams, including Detroit, Minnesota, New England and Atlanta. But it wasn’t clear how serious those inquiries were.

Review of the Redskins' offseason moves, to date (let me know if I miss any):

Re-structured contracts

WR Santana Moss

DE Adam Carriker

S Brandon Meriweather

Re-signed players

OG Kory Lichtensteiger

LB Rob Jackson

TE Logan Paulsen

FB Darrel Young

P Sav Rocca

OT Tyler Polumbus

LB Bryan Kehl

C Nick Sundberg

DE Kedric Golston

TE Fred Davis

CB DeAngelo Hall

RFA Tendered players

DT Chris Baker

Signed players

DL Phillip Merling

DL Ron Brace

OT Tony Pashos

OT Jeremy Trueblood

CB E.J. Biggers

LB Darryl Tapp

Lost players

LB Lorenzo Alexander

PFTalk is reporting Pat White to Wash signing 'very likely' or whatever.

Training camp body or a #2.5 behind RG3/kirk, or somewhere in between?

would be nice to have him around to run the RG3 package during the offseason tho.

Probably nothing, but still interesting.

It's a small sample size and each scenario had their own special circumstances, but Cousins and the Redskins offense were bad when Cousins entered during the game and good when they prepared with him all week. If you practice read option stuff all week and then switch to someone like Cousins, that's a big change and you are having to resort to either only a handful of plays you practiced that week or plays you might not have practiced for weeks or even months. If a guy like White can enter during the game, you can still run a good chunk of the running plays you practiced during the week.

Or, as you say, it could just be a practice thing. He can help the team run the RG3 plays at full speed until Griffin is healthy enough to participate.

Probably nothing, but still interesting.

It's a small sample size and each scenario had their own special circumstances, but Cousins and the Redskins offense were bad when Cousins entered during the game and good when they prepared with him all week. If you practice read option stuff all week and then switch to someone like Cousins, that's a big change and you are having to resort to either only a handful of plays you practiced that week or plays you might not have practiced for weeks or even months. If a guy like White can enter during the game, you can still run a good chunk of the running plays you practiced during the week.

Or, as you say, it could just be a practice thing. He can help the team run the RG3 plays at full speed until Griffin is healthy enough to participate.
Pat White has athleticism, which is required to run the read option. But I question whether he throws the ball well enough to be a 2nd string QB.

I think Cousins will be fine as the backup. A Pat White signing will probably mean no more Rex Grossman. There was a good chance Rex was not coming back, as he was 3rd string all last season.

Pat White still hasn't signed***, but John Keim tweeted this today:

Hearing Kirk Cousins tell @ESPNRadio980 that Pat white could simulate RG3 in offseason makes a lot of sense.
I'm wondering if this will be an issue in signing White.

But last April, White sued the NFL in federal court. Claimed the leagues equipment didnt protect him from head injuries. Claimed multiple traumatic brain injuries. Claimed headaches, sleeplessness and mood swings.

In November, White switched lawyers and sued again. Some of the 222 lawsuits filed against the league simply list plaintiffs and their hometowns. The most basic details. Whites complaint alleged a comprehensive, devastating cost from repeated and chronic head impacts. Permanent injuries, the lawsuit said. Permanent.

The lawsuit rattled off Whites alleged problems: Cognitive and other difficulties, severe headaches, speech issues, memory loss, depression, isolation, mental anguish and diminished self-esteem.

White accused the NFL of concealing the long-term consequences of head injuries. Eleven causes of action in all. Fraud. Negligence. Even added intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligent infliction of emotional distress in his short-form complaint.
***ETA: Immediately after I write that I see the tweets saying White has now cleared his physicals with the team and they have signed a contract. I guess his injuries weren't so permanent after all.

Users who are viewing this thread