What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OG Members Check In (2 Viewers)

Otis

Footballguy
Can we get a TLDR version of whatever all the longtime members are up to? Who's alive/who isn't? What's happening?

TLDR Otis: In the past 20 years, I got married, had 3 girls, moved to the suburbs, went from law firm associate to partner to senior partner, and now I'm dealing with a way too expensive whole house renovation, car pooling for swim meets, trying to stay in shape, and trying to keep it all together, despite doing absolutely nothing exciting. If you've been here a while, you know my old threads were *different*. Whatcha got?

Old updates used to be sarging with hot young chicks I brought home, drinking, and high stakes gambling exploits.

This year I had a colonoscopy (meh), a hemorrhoidectomy (brutal), and had to travel for work for a couple months to Utah (also brutal).

Furley here, lost the old handle in a World Cup betting ring. Two kids, one wife, 8 cats, 0 sex. Things are rocking and rolling pretty good, have a nice cellar going. Plenty of solid vintages highlighted by an ‘08 Ruination from Stone. Currently looking at a Mazda CX-5 to haul the kid’s mascot gear around, she’s a honeycomb for the local school.

Hope you’re well gb. 🍻

Last edited:
Furley here, lost the old handle in a World Cup gambling betting ring. Two kids, one wife, 8 cats, 0 sex. Things are rocking and rolling pretty good, have a nice cellar going. Plenty of solid vintages highlighted by an ‘08 Ruination from Stone. Currently looking at a Mazda CX-5 to haul the kid’s mascot gear around, she’s a honeycomb for the local school.

Hope you’re well gb. 🍻
Wait, legit Furley, or actual Gator?

I hear you on no sex. But 8 cats Wtf?

Empty nester with a Junior at USC living his best life. Wife works full-time running the charity we founded (which means she’s a career woman with a career that pays zero dollars). After 18 years litigating employment disputes, I went in house and now spend my working days on a professional sports team, luxury hotels, aviation, automotive, golf courses, and entertainment. I’m blessed to have this gig, but work hard at it. Spend my free time on charitable work and playing in two bands. A good 15 pounds overweight but trying to get back into a workout routine after having cervical spine surgery in December (getting old sucks). Looking forward to my first colonoscopy in less than three weeks.

Last edited:
Furley here, lost the old handle in a World Cup gambling betting ring. Two kids, one wife, 8 cats, 0 sex. Things are rocking and rolling pretty good, have a nice cellar going. Plenty of solid vintages highlighted by an ‘08 Ruination from Stone. Currently looking at a Mazda CX-5 to haul the kid’s mascot gear around, she’s a honeycomb for the local school.

Hope you’re well gb. 🍻
Wait, legit Furley, or actual Gator?

I hear you on no sex. But 8 cats Wtf?
Yes

For serious, Gator here. I am very confident in my cat numbers for my man Furley though.

For me, I’ve got a 22yo and a 19yo. Both in college figuring out what they want to do. Family life is great, just making our way through this maze.

Cheers gb, glad you’re well. 🍻

Old updates used to be sarging with hot young chicks I brought home, drinking, and high stakes gambling exploits.

This year I had a colonoscopy (meh), a hemorrhoidectomy (brutal), and had to travel for work for a couple months to Utah (also brutal).

GB Otis - if you had only listened to my advice about playing in a band, you could have been doing this at 50ish. It’s not too late!

Last edited:
TLDR Otis Woz: In the past 18 years, I got married, had adopted 3 girls and one boy, moved to the suburbs really nice area of my state, went from law student to public defender to law firm associate to partner to senior partner at another firm, and now I'm dealing with a way too expensive whole house renovation, car pooling for swim meets gymnastics and something called ninja warrior, trying to stay in shape and failing but maintaining a decent golf game, and trying to keep it all together, despite doing absolutely nothing exciting except for taking a bunch of quarters from fellow OG members. If you've been here a while, you know my old threads were *different* and you likely all appreciate that change as I used this board as my private diary for a few years and during a rough breakup way back when. Whatcha got?
See edits to reflect my current status. I'd note that I joined this board 18 years ago when I was 21. I turn 40 this year.

ETA: In the last few months I partially tore my rotator cuff playing in the lowest level coed softball because my work team asked me to play (note: I played college and amateur ball then many years of high level softball without incurring such an injury) and, recently, I found out my gums are inexplicably receding or some such despite me brushing and flossing daily like I have all my life. Further, newer associate attorneys regularly refer to me as being from a "different generation" and, finally, in a recent evidentiary hearing a witness referred to me as "middle aged." Getting old sucks.

Last edited:
I'm an irregular oldie more reader than participant but I hear ya on the changes. In my time of boarding here I've given up clubbing, adopted a son who turns 21 this year(boy did that happen quick!:frown:), went through a rough divorce, became better friends with my ex, gained an extra 50lbs, quit smoking and recreational substances, readjusted to living by myself and am now kind of enjoying my space even with my now creaky knees. I will always carry the memory of the life and death of the politics forum with me as those "disucssions" were a hoot and a half!

GB Otis - if you had only listened to my advice about playing in a band, you could have been doing this at 50ish. It’s not too late!
You're doing it well GB. Congrats. Keep it up.

I'll play: Wife (now retired) and I moved to a great ranch house in a further-west Chicago suburb a few months ago to be closer to son, DIL, and two grandsons (third coming in August) and to our daughter and SIL. Grandparenting is the best. I've been in higher ed for most of my career - ten years at one smaller, private university and now twenty six years at another ..mostly as controller and adjunct faculty. Added a doctorate eight years ago and was able to switch to a FT accounting faculty gig and mostly love it. Being FT faculty has allowed me to get more involved in my profession. I'm co-chairing a national conference in August and recently had a paper published in one of the profession's top journals ("Inclusion of Disability Within the Spectrum of Diversity and the Implications for Accounting Education"). I've started to do some presentations on that topic (with the 'implication' being universal design for higher education). Oddly, I'm currently in an extended fight over tenure status (the politics of higher ed), but if nothing else, I just retire in a year or two. Personally, I'm still running and running very competitively for my old man age group (65-69). Ran my fourth Boston (13th marathon) in 2021, and I'm now patiently working on stride, strength, and technique as prep for Boston, 2026 when I'll be in a new AG.

As Joe says about this place: Community. The 10K Thread has meant the world to me over the past 20+ years.

I know I was here before 9/11 because I remember the "Let's Nuke 'Em All" thread (I also remember the "How Do Blind People Know When They Are Done Wiping" thread). I'm thinking it was well before that (like, a year or more), but memory can play games with us.

I'm gonna be 61 next month. Let's see.... I was just out of a divorce when I first arrived here. I was with THE ONE (who got away), remarried someone else a couple of years later, got divorced AGAIN, dealt with various maladies that I thought were gonna kill me, gone through several iterations of my job (acquisitions upon acquisitions), moved a bunch of times, and made lifelong friends from this place.

I'll play: Wife (now retired) and I moved to a great ranch house in a further-west Chicago suburb a few months ago to be closer to son, DIL, and two grandsons (third coming in August) and to our daughter and SIL. Grandparenting is the best. I've been in higher ed for most of my career - ten years at one smaller, private university and now twenty six years at another ..mostly as controller and adjunct faculty. Added a doctorate eight years ago and was able to switch to a FT accounting faculty gig and mostly love it. Being FT faculty has allowed me to get more involved in my profession. I'm co-chairing a national conference in August and recently had a paper published in one of the profession's top journals ("Inclusion of Disability Within the Spectrum of Diversity and the Implications for Accounting Education"). I've started to do some presentations on that topic (with the 'implication' being universal design for higher education). Oddly, I'm currently in an extended fight over tenure status (the politics of higher ed), but if nothing else, I just retire in a year or two. Personally, I'm still running and running very competitively for my old man age group (65-69). Ran my fourth Boston (13th marathon) in 2021, and I'm now patiently working on stride, strength, and technique as prep for Boston, 2026 when I'll be in a new AG.

As Joe says about this place: Community. The 10K Thread has meant the world to me over the past 20+ years.
I still have my dad‘s ‘81 Boston marathon hat, from the swag bag. We waited for him at the bottom of heartbreak hill. And he said “come on!, run this hill with me!” So I did! Such a great memory.

Since the old yeller days, I got married, had two kids (oldest is 16 now). Got my graduate degree and moved to Charlotte.

Don't really do fantasy football anymore and don't come around here nearly as much as I used to. It's been a lot of fun over the years and I do miss the old-school schtick.

Hey GB. Just turned 50. May need more details on that hemorrhoidectomy. Son is graduating high school this spring and trying to decide between U of Cincinnati and Ohio U. Daughter 13 going on 19. Been in new job for a little over 4 years. No more traveling which is overall great but do miss cornholing people all over the country. Trying to get to the gym 3 times a week but still fat as hell. Second foot surgery this past September and things are feeling good. I can do a single leg toe raise for first time in 3 years. Spending most of my disposable income on concerts.

Not a single mention of Jeeps, hawk screeches, or getting rid of dead snags from a neighbor's yard in the original post? IMPOSTER.

What qualifies as OG anyway? I've been around since '06, I guess. Didn't really start engaging with any of you Hooligans until around '08/'09.

TLDR Otis Woz: In the past 18 years, I got married, had adopted 3 girls and one boy, moved to the suburbs really nice area of my state, went from law student to public defender to law firm associate to partner to senior partner at another firm, and now I'm dealing with a way too expensive whole house renovation, car pooling for swim meets gymnastics and something called ninja warrior, trying to stay in shape and failing but maintaining a decent golf game, and trying to keep it all together, despite doing absolutely nothing exciting except for taking a bunch of quarters from fellow OG members. If you've been here a while, you know my old threads were *different* and you likely all appreciate that change as I used this board as my private diary for a few years and during a rough breakup way back when. Whatcha got?
See edits to reflect my current status. I'd note that I joined this board 18 years ago when I was 21. I turn 40 this year.

ETA: In the last few months I partially tore my rotator cuff playing in the lowest level coed softball because my work team asked me to play (note: I played college and amateur ball then many years of high level softball without incurring such an injury) and, recently, I found out my gums are inexplicably receding or some such despite me brushing and flossing daily like I have all my life. Further, newer associate attorneys regularly refer to me as being from a "different generation" and, finally, in a recent evidentiary hearing a witness referred to me as "middle aged." Getting old sucks.
Lately strangers (waiters/waitresses, store clerks,etc.) have started to refer to me as "Sir". That sucks.
Recently my wife, two sons (18 and 16) and I were at the airport. One of the security guys (probably a little older than me) said "Okay, step through young man". I thought he meant one of my sons. He then repeated it and pointed at me. Love that guy!

Here since the first day of Old Yeller. Long-time listener, infrequent poster.

Have just about seen it all on these boards. From the 9/11 thread to Steve and the camping trip to Arizona Ron adventures to everything yoga pants. This place has a little bit of everything but still can be a good source of information for everything from pandemics to bank failures. Miss some of the old guard no longer with us (MoCS, wikkid, TU, etc).

In my own life, like so many of us, I’m a couple of decades older and slower and closer to the end than the beginning anymore. Have raised three children to adulthood with three more knocking at the door. Marriage has been slowly collapsing for a few years (faster the past year or so), despite my best efforts to save it. Still enjoy what brought us together in the first place (FF), but down to one long-time league anymore (managed to win it this past season).

Glad this place is still around, and still a daily presence. Really enjoy the music threads Tim, Scorchy, Pip’s, Bracie, Krista, and others lead and contribute to.

I've been here since 2001-ish but there were long periods when I was in the SP only and not the FFA. In the early '00s I would chime in on the Otis and Woz threads, and I remember the "Steve" thread well. As more threads became political, I started spending less time in the FFA, and by the '10s I had basically abandoned it because it seemed like most of the threads turned political. I came back to the FFA during the pandemic, and liked that it was usually politics-free because all of that had gotten quarantined into the PSF. And I've been a regular in the music threads ever since.

When I started coming here, my first marriage was crumbling, and she told me she wanted to end things a few days before 9/11. The early '00s became what I refer to in the music threads as my Lost Years, in which I made a bunch of new friends in the NYC, NJ and Philly music scenes, went to 70+ concerts per year, was completely emotionally dysfunctional, and drank unhealthy amounts of booze. I met my second wife in 2006, after which my emotional and behavioral problems went away. We have been married for almost 15 years and have a son who is about to turn 12. I have been a health care/science/technology journalist for most of my career, and have been at my current job for almost 10 years, where I run the team that covers cardiology. I have a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea and take medications to control my cholesterol and blood pressure, but have not yet had any acute health issues in my middle-aged years.

Been here since ole Yeller... Probably somewhere around 2004-2005 range. Haven't posted a ton but have pretty much hit up this site every day since then. This site has been my go to for so many years. Since I've been on here I went back to school in my 30s to go into IT. Just turned 49. Been working at the same company since 1996 and am now our company DBA and data analyst. Married, 3 kids, 2 grand kids. My daughter works for the same company I work at, my oldest son has been to Iraq in the Army and is now a police officer. Youngest son just moved to Tennessee to start his life away from home living with friends. 10 months ago my addict sister in law and 5 year old nephew moved in with us as she finally had enough and had nowhere else to turn. Now she is 10 months sober and is working again as a nursing assistant. Needless to say, life is anything but quiet and calm around here.

Last edited:
I’ve been here since my first year of fantasy football, 2003. I tried the assistant coach and sp for team help but the ffa had my heart. I lurked most of the time. It felt like learning about the world from the view of a brother. I have watched your kids grow up. I had my 4th in 2003. Now I have 11. My oldest is 27 this year and my youngest is 7. I’m still home schooling, volunteering, and mothering. I actually got a job last year but it went from 20 hours a week to 20 a month. I’m 52, fat, but healthy. No major problems. My parents are dead so now I’m the oldest person in the family. I kind of see things as on the downhill slide but I still have kids at home so I try to change my attitude for them.

Think I've been here for 20ish years. Maybe a little more. Knocking on the door of 50. Vikings fan so disappoinment same as always. 18 year old and 13 year old. Elder doing college in the fall and younger busy with club softball and headed to high school this fall. Career wise not a lot of change over the years but 100 % wfh for both the wife and I since Covid. Feel like a broken record but getting old and need to get serious about getting healthy finally.

Been around since Cheatsheet days--I think I am member 160 something here, but I really don't post a lot because frankly I am boring.

This is going to be a big year. Wife and I will celebrate our 30th. We have been together for close to 35 years--basically since high school. I turn 54 and I am planning on retiring this summer. I need to find some kind of side hustle/project to bring in a small amount of money to just keep my mind sharp. We are working on getting my wife retired here in the next four to five years at the max.
Our oldest daughter is 23. She is moving from Ft Collins to Denver and is looking for a lab job there. She has a bio/chem degree and has been working on Covid research for the past two years. Her long-term boyfriend just got a huge job in Denver and I am guessing a wedding will be in the works in the next few years. Our 18 year old daughter had a rough go with her first semester of college (she fell down the steps at her dorm and severely inured herself the first week of college), plus got step throat and pneumonia. She is back living at home and planning to go to the local community college in the fall. She is saving money for a car, which won't take her long since she is making obscene money at Applebees.

Life is good. I always worry about the other shoe falling. I still check in this place every day even though it isn't quite as busy as it once was.

Furley here, lost the old handle in a World Cup betting ring. Two kids, one wife, 8 cats, 0 sex. Things are rocking and rolling pretty good, have a nice cellar going. Plenty of solid vintages highlighted by an ‘08 Ruination from Stone. Currently looking at a Mazda CX-5 to haul the kid’s mascot gear around, she’s a honeycomb for the local school.

Hope you’re well gb. 🍻

You forgot to mention how much both you and I hate your wife.

Since Summer of '00 at least, because I talked my Big Money ($100/team) co-owner into a Fred Taylor, Cade McNown, Marcus Robinson start and he never forgave me.

Still married despite my self-destructive tendencies. She is a good woman. Our son just finished top 3 in the "Mr. High School" competition last night. Attending a state U on 2/3 scholly next year, and gets to live at home. Only child, and we haven't screwed him up as much our parents did us, which to me is the only thing that matters.

I appreciate this place.

Since Summer of '00 at least, because I talked my Big Money ($100/team) co-owner into a Fred Taylor, Cade McNown, Marcus Robinson start and he never forgave me.

Still married despite my self-destructive tendencies. She is a good woman. Our son just finished top 3 in the "Mr. High School" competition last night. Attending a state U on 2/3 scholly next year, and gets to live at home. Only child, and we haven't screwed him up as much our parents did us, which to me is the only thing that matters.

I appreciate this place.
I think the most impactful thread for me was the Boston Marathon Bombers thread. There was a lot of crap thrown around, but I was on the edge of my seat for hours and days.

#2 would be the Wagering Thread November 2016 where I lost SOOOOO MUCH MONEY on the loser of the presidential election. Along with a lot of other folks.

I've been around since BassNBrew was cool to newbies. I cashed a couple of times in the Subscriber Contest, but no longer play any FF. Still going to Vegas twice a year, will be there for the Final Four. Now I just walk, and play guitar. I've dabbled with it since I was a kid, but decided that more effort in a different section of my brain would be beneficial as I age. The ratio of enjoyment I get to the talent I possess is astonishing.

I've been around since BassNBrew was cool to newbies. I cashed a couple of times in the Subscriber Contest, but no longer play any FF. Still going to Vegas twice a year, will be there for the Final Four. Now I just walk, and play guitar. I've dabbled with it since I was a kid, but decided that more effort in a different section of my brain would be beneficial as I age. The ratio of enjoyment I get to the talent I possess is astonishing.

That’s awesome!!!

Been here since 04, frequent viewer, infrequent poster. The little guy in the profile pic is almost 16 and taller than I am now (I am 6'0 he is 6'3"). He is the only one left at home, the other 4 are all on their own. I have 3 grandkids and being a Grandparent is awesome! We try to make it to all of their events, but with our youngest still in high school and conflicting events, it makes it tough. I am still working in the service department of an auto dealer (been in automotive for 30 years so I guess that is what I am meant to do). I turned 50 last year and like most of us have noticed a big difference in the general aches and not as quick as we used to be.

I have always been a big football fan, but as I get older, I am almost starting to enjoy baseball more than football. I still play in a couple local fantasy leagues, but nowhere near the volume that I did back in the day. I never posted much in the FFA, because as someone posted earlier, I have a pretty boring life. I always and still make the FFA a daily visit as I am sitting in my recliner at night to catch up on the daily news and get a good chuckle or two.

Been around since Cheatsheet days--I think I am member 160 something here, but I really don't post a lot because frankly I am boring.

This is going to be a big year. Wife and I will celebrate our 30th. We have been together for close to 35 years--basically since high school. I turn 54 and I am planning on retiring this summer. I need to find some kind of side hustle/project to bring in a small amount of money to just keep my mind sharp. We are working on getting my wife retired here in the next four to five years at the max.
Our oldest daughter is 23. She is moving from Ft Collins to Denver and is looking for a lab job there. She has a bio/chem degree and has been working on Covid research for the past two years. Her long-term boyfriend just got a huge job in Denver and I am guessing a wedding will be in the works in the next few years. Our 18 year old daughter had a rough go with her first semester of college (she fell down the steps at her dorm and severely inured herself the first week of college), plus got step throat and pneumonia. She is back living at home and planning to go to the local community college in the fall. She is saving money for a car, which won't take her long since she is making obscene money at Applebees.

Life is good. I always worry about the other shoe falling. I still check in this place every day even though it isn't quite as busy as it once was.
Retiring at 54 sounds wonderful.

Been around since the Cheatsheet days. I'm not sure when but I would guess around the year 2k. I post even less than those of you that say you rarely post but I do come around a lot to read. Since I joined, I retired from playing in bands, got married around 10 years ago, and actually turned my job into a career. I was coaching baseball for my ex step son but he is grown and has kids of his own now. The only FFB I play now is in one free league with a bunch of other old timers that wants to play but not take it serious.

Been around since the Cheatsheet days. I'm not sure when but I would guess around the year 2k. I post even less than those of you that say you rarely post but I do come around a lot to read. Since I joined, I retired from playing in bands, got married around 10 years ago, and actually turned my job into a career. I was coaching baseball for my ex step son but he is grown and has kids of his own now. The only FFB I play now is in one free league with a bunch of other old timers that wants to play but not take it serious.

Tell us about the bands you used to play in!

Users who are viewing this thread