What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

On Balance, How Proud Of America Are You? (1 Viewer)

On Balance, How Proud Of America Are You?

• Extremely Proud of America

Votes: 47 19.6%
  • Mostly Proud of America

Votes: 98 40.8%
  • On the fence

Votes: 55 22.9%
  • Mostly Ashamed of America

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • Extremely Ashamed of America

Votes: 10 4.2%

• Total voters
Because GDP has nothing to do with quality of life.  

I am disappointed that this country can't take care of their own.
Pssst...I’m just playing devil’s advocate in response to TripItUp’s post - I think the US ain’t bad, but probably not the best in what truly matters.

Did you not notice my other posts before resorting to name calling?

As a Kennedy kid - Unicef, spacerace, the dawn of hope for all - I will never be more proud of anything than i was to be an American, which is why i am so embarrassed for us now. And there is but one reason behind both my pride and my shame - the level of citizenship.

Because GDP has nothing to do with quality of life.  

I am disappointed that this country can't take care of their own.
:lol:

let’s take a look at the top 10 vs bottom 10 countries for GDP per capita (ties include both)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Qatar, Macau, Luxembourg, Singapore, Brunei, Ireland, Norway, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Switzerland, Hong Kong, United States

vs.

South Sudan, Liberia, Mozambique, Niger, Malawi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Burundi, Central African Republic, Syria, Venezuela

I’m going to go out on a limb and side with the idea that GDP does actually impact quality of life.

I'm happy I live in the USA.

Feeling any sense of superiority because of it would be something I can't relate to. 

Lived and been too many places in my life to hold this limited point of view.

Feeling any sense of superiority because of it would be something I can't relate to.
Why would you have to feel superior to be proud of your country? I don't why you wouldn't be able to have one without the other. In fact, I think they are two entirely different things.

Love my country. Find it laughable to think it’s so simple to say it’s the “best”. I love France. I love Germany. I haven’t seen many countries yet. So I don’t know whether we are the best.

With that said, I’m deeply ashamed at how we’ve dropped the ball on being a leader. As I drove through Germany, I saw solar panels on 200 year old buildings. As i walked through France, I saw beautiful parks with awesome works of art. And people enjoying it all. Can I say we are better than that? No.

I am proud of my country but see it as nothing unusual anymore, as we choose to rest on our laurels.

So you said my America. I'm looking for my America. In my America we live up to our obligations to our veterans. In my America the poor in Alabama don't live like they are in the 3rd world. In my America we don't stand by while children drink lead infused water. In my America we don't help people who fund those that attacks us commit genocide. In my America we open our doors to the downtrodden and refugees because we know that doing so makes us stronger, not weaker. In my America no man is above the law. In my America we don't commit war crimes as national policy. In my America we don't spy on ourselves. In my America we aren't afraid. 

It's been a long time since I've seen my America. I hope I find her soon. The world really needs her.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you said my America. I'm looking for my America. In my America we live up to our obligations to our veterans. In my America the poor in Alabama don't live like they are in the 3rd world. In my America we don't stand by while children drink lead infused water. In my America we don't help people who fund those that attacks us commit genocide. In my America we open our doors to the downtrodden and refugees because we know that doing so makes us stronger, not weaker. In my America no man is above the law. In my America we don't commit war crimes as national policy. In my America we don't spy on ourselves. In my America we aren't afraid. 

It's been a long time since I've seen my America. I hope I find her soon. The world really needs her.
All those words and you never managed to answer the question...

I can't answer all of those, and agree with a few (big fan of the Rule of Law here) but...

Trump signs the largest VA budget ever

Flint’s lead levels have tested well below the federal action level of 15 parts per billion since 2017

The United States has more immigrants than any other country in the world.

I recently traveled in Europe for two months. First trip there and met many people from throughout the world.  I was apologetic when needed for our current administration. I was asked by an Australian why America was considered to be the world's defender of democracy. I do not think that question would have been debatable before. People have forgotten what America did to rebuild the world after WW 2.
Did Australia step in when Iraq invaded Kuwait? Is Australia taking the fight on terrorism to the door of the terrorist? And besides, the model for the other 100+ countries who have a democratic society is ours.

Yes you are butt hurt, you did the equivalent of taking your ball and going home by telling me to leave.  

But I will give it to the good ole US of A.  They just don't make poor people grovel and hope for health insurance, they make 9/11 first responders beg too.  Proud times.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/where-is-outcry-over-children-killed-by-u-s-led-forces/
Again, what does that have to do with the actions of the US military and all these dead babies you blurted out from your morning talking points? 

And took the ball and what? Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? I said adios to you for being all upset at where you live based on some BS you aren't even sure why you are triggered by because you can't even fathom the actions much less the repercussions of those actions, or even more so, non actions. But, but, but, dead babies. Dead babies. Tell us more about those. We'll wait while you google this stuff and hope to find something that makes you look at all informed on US foreign policy as it pertains to dead children. 

And yet the military still tries to deny treatment for PTSD and we have 40k homeless veterans. 

Flint is the tip of the iceberg as we have dozens of communities where we have found high lead levels amongst other contaminants. 

As to immigrants what we are doing to those seeking asylum is abhorrent. Our system is broken and kick the can down the road by both parties has brought us here. 

OK, so there are many things you apparently don't like about the USA right now. Are there any things you like? If so, why post only about the negatives? If not, why not move to another country you like better?

And yet the military still tries to deny treatment for PTSD and we have 40k homeless veterans. 

Flint is the tip of the iceberg as we have dozens of communities where we have found high lead levels amongst other contaminants. 

As to immigrants what we are doing to those seeking asylum is abhorrent. Our system is broken and kick the can down the road by both parties has brought us here. 
I always wonder why Flint gets all the press. Michigan had 22 counties that tested for higher levels of lead in the water than Flint and that never gets mentioned. It is always Flint when talking about the lead in the water.

I always wonder why Flint gets all the press. Michigan had 22 counties that tested for higher levels of lead in the water than Flint and that never gets mentioned. It is always Flint when talking about the lead in the water.
Yeah I was using Flint as shorthand for what is really a very widespread problem affecting a huge number of communities. 

Yeah, okay. I don't think anyone is arguing that America is perfect.

But while we don't do enough for our veterans, we are trying to do more.  

Nobody is "standing by" while kids get lead poisoning.

I don't think anyone is satisfied with our immigration policies. 

These are all examples of shortcomings of governmental execution, not structure or intent.

I think you're judging the baby by the bathwater.

Things don't need to be perfect to be great. In fact, I think it's a hallmark of America that we AREN'T satisfied with the way things are. I think, in general, Americans are continually striving to make things better. Both here and abroad. We make mistakes and have shortcomings because they're human operated systems. But when things are broken, we fix it. When things are inadequate, we discuss how to improve them. Because we disagree sometimes on HOW to do so can lead to frustratingly slow implementation of change.

And just because we have corrupt and/or dunderheaded politicians running things doesn't mean the ideas and ideals aren't sound. 

That's what the "On balance" part of the OP's question meant to me anyway.

Yeah I was using Flint as shorthand for what is really a very widespread problem affecting a huge number of communities. 
No, I get it.    Just wonder why nationally they only talk about Flint when the problem is widespread.

No, I get it.    Just wonder why nationally they only talk about Flint when the problem is widespread.
Flints stands a good chance of being what history will underline as a prime example when discussing this era of institutional malfeasance

Love my country. Find it laughable to think it’s so simple to say it’s the “best”. I love France. I love Germany. I haven’t seen many countries yet. So I don’t know whether we are the best.

With that said, I’m deeply ashamed at how we’ve dropped the ball on being a leader. As I drove through Germany, I saw solar panels on 200 year old buildings. As i walked through France, I saw beautiful parks with awesome works of art. And people enjoying it all. Can I say we are better than that? No.

I am proud of my country but see it as nothing unusual anymore, as we choose to rest on our laurels.
The "best" part about our country is this: you want to rest on your laurels?  Fine, you can do that.  You want to push the envelope and achieve greatness?  You can also do that.  It is up to you.

We have NYC, which is right on par with Paris.  We also have Silicon Valley which is an area greater than anything Germany has technologically.  We have National Parks that are arguably greater than anything you can find around Europe (Yellowstone & the Grand Canyon just to name two).  Does rural Alabama and Mississippi or the run down cities of the Rust belt compare to France and Germany?  No, of course not.  But our greatest is still at the top of the charts, we are just bigger and more diverse is all.  I think that makes us better, not worse.

OK, so there are many things you apparently don't like about the USA right now. Are there any things you like? If so, why post only about the negatives? If not, why not move to another country you like better?
sort of like the founding fathers did when they did not like english rule they just left and went to mars or something i guess take that to the bank brohans 

Does rural Alabama and Mississippi or the run down cities of the Rust belt compare to France and Germany?  No, of course not.  But our greatest is still at the top of the charts, we are just bigger and more diverse is all.  I think that makes us better, not worse.
i would bet that a lot of the run down cities in el franceo and deutschland are just the same as run down cities in america same stuff different continents look not every city is going to be mealyawalkee no matter where you roam that is all i am sayin take that to the bank bromigo 

I love my country and am happy to live here. 

That being said, I think Trump is seriously damaging our country's political position with his asinine tweets and screw you mentality.

Hopefully things will improve at the next election.

FYI.  I am an independent who has historically voted ~50/50 b/w Dems/Reps.

That being said, I think Trump is seriously damaging our country's political position with his asinine tweets and screw you mentality.

Not to get all PoliForum on us, but I agree with all of this and I've voted 90% Republican (did NOT vote for Trump).

Topics that I care about that the US is embarrassingly behind on.

Violent Crime Rate

Affordable and accessible healthcare

Equal Education 

Environmentally Friendly Living and Global Leadership 

(I lean conservative)

Jayrod said:
We have NYC, which is right on par with Paris.  We also have Silicon Valley which is an area greater than anything Germany has technologically.  We have National Parks that are arguably greater than anything you can find around Europe (Yellowstone & the Grand Canyon just to name two).  Does rural Alabama and Mississippi or the run down cities of the Rust belt compare to France and Germany?  No, of course not.  But our greatest is still at the top of the charts, we are just bigger and more diverse is all.  I think that makes us better, not worse.
The not so great parts you mentioned are over-represented in the Senate and the Electoral College, which is a problem.

And Trump robbed money from the National Parks budget to help fund his ridiculous speech in DC on the 4th.

The not so great parts you mentioned are over-represented in the Senate and the Electoral College, which is a problem.
so you disagree with a representative govt...and would prefer california and new york tell the rest of us what to do....

Not proud and pretty embarrassed. I think Denmark and Singapore would be better options if I thought I could adjust culturally.

FYI.  I am an independent who has historically voted ~50/50 b/w Dems/Reps.
Your first 2 sentences were spot on. But expecting things to get better with such a person running the country is not realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread