What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One Album. Three Consecutive Songs. (Link ‘em) (1 Viewer)

McBokonon

Footballguy
So, I’m a little more relaxed than usual, partaking a bit, and my music app’s random setting just decided to play three straight songs from the same album. And I was thinking, “you know, if I was forced to pick three straight songs from one album from one musician/group/band to introduce someone to, they literally never heard of them, and I wanted this person to give this musician/group/band a real chance and this was the only opportunity to introduce them, these three are probably what’d I go with, and if this person didn’t like these three songs, it’s just not for them and they should just move on.” (runonsentencealert)

They don’t have to be your favorites, though they could be, but they’re good and if the listener isn’t buying after these 3, they’re never buying.

So, three consecutive songs, one album. Whatcha got?

The ones my random picked were 8, 9, and 10 from Dropkick Murphy’s Blackout:

The Dirty Glass

Fields of Athenry

Bastards on Parade

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you’re thinking “I couldn’t possibly do this band/musician/operasinger, they’re just all over the place, every album is an island,” I’m going to try and fit Ween into this stupid construct. It’ll be man’s greatest achievement.

And if you’re thinking “I couldn’t possibly do this band/musician/operasinger, they’re just all over the place, every album is an island,” a i’m going to try and fit Ween into this stupid construct. It’ll be man’s greatest achievement.
The randomness and genre-hopping kind of IS Ween. You could pick any three tracks from any album and it would make your point. 

The randomness and genre-hopping kind of IS Ween. You could pick any three tracks from any album and it would make your point. 
Right, but you’re trying to hook someone with three consecutive songs from one album, and know if they keep going they’ll like the rest, too. If you pick three from 12 Country Golden Greats, and the listener then hears “HIV/AIDS” and is thinking “This makes sense” you’ve done well. If they say “####### hell, what is this?” you haven’t.

They only get bigger and more important as the years go on. This sounds monstrous. Talk about shakin' all over. 

Keeping true to record fidelity and getting up to change the side, I'll stick with three consecutive off of one side. Because God Save The Queen, Seventeen, and Anarchy In The U.K. might melt the competition. 

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols 

Side A consecutive to begin

Holidays In The Sun

Bodies

No Feelings 

Side B consecutive to end

Pretty Vacant

New York 

EMI

Yep those three (with a bonus pick of Visions to kick off a foursome)
yeah, i decided not to break my brain exerpting a triad from Stevie's genius period. plus, like @bigbottom, i thought we were going more for introducing/reminding than a rush to classics.

another i'd have trouble to iso down to three is Homogenic (especially since the 1st & 4th are the best two), so i'll post the quartet and let y'all choose down to three:

Hunter

Joga

Unravel

Bachelorette

latter part of their career, with Weller truly blossoming as a ####### boss - a real kick in the balls, these ... a killer 3 tune run off of "Sound Affects" 

Set The House Ablaze

Start

That's Entertainment

from their abrasive power, to the greatest Beatles homage ever ... to the Modfather's glorious masterpiece ✨️ 

‐----------‐-------------------------------------

off their breakthrough platter - "I'm Eighteen" got all the attention, but this may be my favorite 3 song run of all-time - Coop's band was as tight as any in history ... from "Love it to Death"

Hallowed Be My Name

Second Coming

Ballad of Dwight Fry

Tool—album Lateralus—but these are songs that require listening to on headphones not just playing in the background. Tool does a lot of panning to create almost a 3-d sound over headphones. 

Schism.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=80RtBeB61LE

Great first song to listen to. Tool can be hard to digest the first listen with all of the time signature changes—but imo this song is one of their more approachable offerings from this album 

The Grudge  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3BXyEUOuNds

Such a myriad of sounds and rhythms.  Probably enough melodies in this song for most bands to make 4 songs.  One of the most dramatic and violent musical endings to a song imo. 

Lateralus. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7JG63IuaWs

A great song that is built upon the Fibonacci sequence/spiral.  Lots of people consider this song to be an absolute masterpiece.  I would maybe recommend watching this video before listening to the song so that you can appreciate some of its intricacies and listen for them.   https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uOHkeH2VaE0

Telethon - Swim Out Past the Breakers

There is actually a 4 song stretch on this album that I have often thought were just perfect in order... the 1st 3 or the last 3 would do the trick, and two of them are called out in the intro in this review:

There’s a moment on Swim Out Past the Breakers, the newest LP from Telethon, where everything comes together. It sits rightfully smack in the middle of the record, as its impact requires plenty of build-up and denouement. The song prior, “Checker Drive” is a great appetizer for it, a clean, single-ready song that sounds like Telethon firing on all cylinders. Then comes “House of the Future, Pt. 4,” a continuation of Telethon’s themes and a coalescence of their sound. After three minutes of muted build up, the song explodes into some of the most cathartic music the band has released to date. Every piece of the band — Gene Jacket’s synth lines, Jack Sibilski’s roaring guitar, the unflappable rhythm section of Alex “DeepSoundz” Meylink and Erik “Drumz” Atwell — comes together to provide pure catharsis. That moment defines Swim Out Past the Breakers, a record full of fulfillment — personal or otherwise.

Anyway, this is a make your own adventure play list... pick tracks 6-8 or 7-9 and give it a shot. 

6. Masterationalizer

7. Checker Drive (the album version has a beautiful extended outro on it that flows real nice in to the next song)

8. House Of The Future, Pt.4

9. Marlinspike

Users who are viewing this thread