What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ongoing Chris Johnson Discussions (1 Viewer)

Our league= QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, RB/WR/TE/,etc.

CJ went 1.12....I picked at 11, and went with Andre (and Calvin in the 2nd)...too risky to pass up the #1 WR overall

Assuming he's in good physical shape, even if he were to sign right before week 1, why wouldn't he get his normal touches in week 1?

Assuming he's in good physical shape, even if he were to sign right before week 1, why wouldn't he get his normal touches in week 1?
Being in good physical shape is much different then being in game shape and the ability to take contact. If the Titans invest in a new deal I'm sure they would protect their investment.

Being in good physical shape is much different then being in game shape and the ability to take contact. If the Titans invest in a new deal I'm sure they would protect their investment.
How many times has a player come in with little camp and gotten hurt soon after?Seems like it happens a lot.Grant a few years ago with the Hammy took a while before he looked good at all...and he missed much less time than CJ has.

I don't see this at all. They're going to pay him to play. :shrug:

If your the head coach, you would run CJ out there in game one and give him 20 touches with the possibility of him tweaking a hammy? I would ease him back in.

If your the head coach, you would run CJ out there in game one and give him 20 touches with the possibility of him tweaking a hammy? I would ease him back in.
I don't think you can make this assumption necessarily. I'm not trying to argue here; I honestly don't know. They should be able to tell how smooth he looks in the first practice he participates in, and after watching him a few times in the game. If he doesn't look rusty, why would they ease him back in?

The Titans have placed Johnson on the reserve/did not report list, the Associated Press reports.

Spin:

This is really just a procedural move, but it's yet another reminder that Johnson remains a holdout, with no progress to report regarding his contact status.

ROTOWIRE

Let's see. New head coach-check, new offensive coordinator-check, new quarterback-check, new playbook-check. Seems like at least four reasons,not including him not being in game condition, for Johnson not to play full time if he signed right before week 1.

They're going to pay him to play for a long time, not just week 1. IMO, it's pretty likely he doesn't get a huge workload right away.

Let's see. New head coach-check, new offensive coordinator-check, new quarterback-check, new playbook-check. Seems like at least four reasons,not including him not being in game condition, for Johnson not to play full time if he signed right before week 1.
He's a RB. It's not rocket science. He's in good shape. He'll be in game shape pretty quick. You could even make an argument that the lack of contact in the preseason has helped him. The guy is going to be fresh and pain free. If they signed him the night before the opener he'd play.

I think its a really good point he makes just because we have to remember that the minute CJ signs, there is going to be a HUGE guaranteed portion of that contract as well as a HUGE amount owed right then. SO I would think its reasonable that the Titans wouldn't want to risk $20-$30 Million guaranteed on doing something that could lose their star in week 1 or 2 of the season.

He's a RB. It's not rocket science. He's in good shape. He'll be in game shape pretty quick. You could even make an argument that the lack of contact in the preseason has helped him. The guy is going to be fresh and pain free. If they signed him the night before the opener he'd play.
Then if training camp means absolutely nothing to running backs, we should excuse running backs until the day before the opener so they are"fresh and pain free".

I know its a moot point and been beaten into the ground...but how can the titans genuinely justify paying him guaranteed money? 30 million so instead of 5-11 you go 7-9? Makes no sense to me at all. If this was the year after they went 13-3, fine. Clearly in rebuild mode so why dump a ton of money into one player who definitely isnt worth the asking price?

I dont see how he has any leverage what so ever.

I know its a moot point and been beaten into the ground...but how can the titans genuinely justify paying him guaranteed money? 30 million so instead of 5-11 you go 7-9? Makes no sense to me at all. If this was the year after they went 13-3, fine. Clearly in rebuild mode so why dump a ton of money into one player who definitely isnt worth the asking price?I dont see how he has any leverage what so ever.
It's not just about W/L, it's about $. I'm not saying he's worth $30MM guaranteed, but CJ brings in $.

I know its a moot point and been beaten into the ground...but how can the titans genuinely justify paying him guaranteed money? 30 million so instead of 5-11 you go 7-9? Makes no sense to me at all. If this was the year after they went 13-3, fine. Clearly in rebuild mode so why dump a ton of money into one player who definitely isnt worth the asking price?I dont see how he has any leverage what so ever.
It's not just about W/L, it's about $. I'm not saying he's worth $30MM guaranteed, but CJ brings in $.
I agree that he brings in money and that will probably be ultimately what makes them cave. I would also suggest that when football teams start making personnel and salary cap decisions based on marketability, it's a horrible sign for the organization.This is the NFL. It shouldn't be hard to sell tickets. If it is, you're either poorly run or in the wrong market.There's a reason that the better franchises in the league can often be described as "ruthless" when it comes to personnel decisions and are very unlikely to give huge money to a RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
'aburt19 said:
'Hoart Petterson said:
'aburt19 said:
'timschochet said:
Then if training camp means absolutely nothing to running backs, we should excuse running backs until the day before the opener so they are"fresh and pain free".
Some studs used to never play a down in the preseason. I didn't say it meant nothing, I said you could make an argument it's to his benefit to have avoided contact at this point.

'Shutout said:
'Hoart Petterson said:
'ponchsox said:
'timschochet said:
I think its a really good point he makes just because we have to remember that the minute CJ signs, there is going to be a HUGE guaranteed portion of that contract as well as a HUGE amount owed right then. SO I would think its reasonable that the Titans wouldn't want to risk $20-$30 Million guaranteed on doing something that could lose their star in week 1 or 2 of the season.
They could lose him at any time. Not understanding why sitting him would alleviate that risk. This guy is a physical specimen, not Andre smith or someone like that.

not singling you out by any means, I just think it's an interesting discussion: How much incremental revenue does signing CJ now as opposed to letting him rot away on the bench bring in?Hypothetically, if you give him 30 mil now...how many more tix do you sell, how many jerseys, tv ratings? If you were to argue that they would receive less primetime games/flex games because of a lack of interest in a CJ-less team, then we can begin to see that maybe signing him knowing it wont make a diff to record could have some merit...

not singling you out by any means, I just think it's an interesting discussion: How much incremental revenue does signing CJ now as opposed to letting him rot away on the bench bring in?Hypothetically, if you give him 30 mil now...how many more tix do you sell, how many jerseys, tv ratings? If you were to argue that they would receive less primetime games/flex games because of a lack of interest in a CJ-less team, then we can begin to see that maybe signing him knowing it wont make a diff to record could have some merit...
Obviously there's no way to accurately measure it, but I do know they factor it in and try to guestimate it. More tickets, more jerseys, more concessions, higher TV ratings, etc. I would certainly think that Tenn would have more prime time games with CJ than without as well.Again, not saying he should get $30MM guaranteed, just that record isn't the only thing that is considered. Also, even though he may not turn them into a playoff team this year, we're talking about probably a 4-6 year deal here, and a lot can change in that amount of time. It's entirely possible that he could be the difference between making or not making the playoffs a few years from now.

What if Ringer comes in and goes for 125 and 2 scores? Will CJ get paid at all?
Yes. In fact, Ringer's role would continue to be more of the same. I would like them to give Ringer the ball more honestly, CJ2K cant take hits forever and get ~375 touches a season.

What if Ringer comes in and goes for 125 and 2 scores? Will CJ get paid at all?
I wonder that too. I doubt the Titans would determine the future of their franchise based on one game. I could certainly see it making CJ more eager to accept whatever offer's on the table. Good play without CJ would certainly hurt his negotiating power.Then again, if TEN really is willing to offer CJ highest paid RB ever money (I'm doubting that), then apparently, TEN and CJ both don't have much faith in Ringer or Harper. Unless they are as dumb as the Panthers are.

this draft happened this weekend... I picked him up at 9. no ppr standard scoring.

1. Arian Foster (Hou - RB)

2. Adrian Peterson (Min - RB)

3. Jamaal Charles (KC - RB)

4. Darren McFadden (Oak - RB)

5. Ray Rice (Bal - RB)

6. Rashard Mendenhall (Pit - RB)

7. LeSean McCoy (Phi - RB)

8. Aaron Rodgers (GB - QB)

9. Chris Johnson (Ten - RB)

10. Michael Turner (Atl - RB)

11. Andre Johnson (Hou - WR)

12. Roddy White (Atl - WR)

My target that whole time was McFadden/CJ. Once Mcfadden went extremely early, my pick was already made.

this draft happened this weekend... I picked him up at 9. no ppr standard scoring.1. Arian Foster (Hou - RB)2. Adrian Peterson (Min - RB) 3. Jamaal Charles (KC - RB)4. Darren McFadden (Oak - RB) 5. Ray Rice (Bal - RB) 6. Rashard Mendenhall (Pit - RB) 7. LeSean McCoy (Phi - RB) 8. Aaron Rodgers (GB - QB)9. Chris Johnson (Ten - RB)10. Michael Turner (Atl - RB)11. Andre Johnson (Hou - WR)12. Roddy White (Atl - WR)My target that whole time was McFadden/CJ. Once Mcfadden went extremely early, my pick was already made.
Nice. I got CJ at the #8 spot in our keeper league. If I didn't have McCoy and Blount as keepers I'd be more worried right now.But I'm still worried.

I could not resist taking a gamble on Johnson when he was still on the board a 2.04 of my 12 team PPR redraft league draft last night.

Egg on me though that I thought I could gamble a bit and hold off on getting Ringer while securing other skill players. I finally was going to

get Ringer at 12.04 and damn if he didn't get selected at 12.01. Hopefully I didn't blow my 2nd round pick.

Here is how the first two rounds went.

1. Arian Foster (Hou - RB) The Robeau-Cops

2. Adrian Peterson (Min - RB) Team America

3. Ray Rice (Bal - RB) Guido

4. Andre Johnson (Hou - WR) Naked Head

5. Jamaal Charles (KC - RB) Grid Iron Stars

6. LeSean McCoy (Phi - RB) THE PHENOMS

7. Roddy White (Atl - WR) Jules Winnfield

8. Aaron Rodgers (GB - QB) LAMB

9. Darren McFadden (Oak - RB) Bankart's a ...

10. Larry Fitzgerald (Ari - WR) Cobra Kai

11. Michael Vick (Phi - QB) ChupaCabras

12. Calvin Johnson (Det - WR) Bad Newz Bee...

Round two

1. Greg Jennings (GB - WR) Bad Newz Bee...

2. Rashard Mendenhall (Pit - RB) ChupaCabras

3. Hakeem Nicks (NYG - WR) Cobra Kai

4. Chris Johnson (Ten - RB) Bankart's a ...

5. Steven Jackson (StL - RB) LAMB

6. Michael Turner (Atl - RB) Jules Winnfield

7. Peyton Hillis (Cle - RB) THE PHENOMS

8. Maurice Jones-Drew (Jac - RB) Grid Iron Stars

9. Philip Rivers (SD - QB) Naked Head

10. Drew Brees (NO - QB) Guido

11. Tom Brady (NE - QB) Team America

12. Frank Gore (SF - RB) The Robeau-Cops

ETA all TD's = 6 pts.

.05 points/yd pass

.1 points/yd/rush&rec

1 ppr

starting lineup = 1qb, 2rb,3wr,1te,1flex(rb,wr,te),1k, 1d/st

If CJ is truly looking to be paid as one of the top playmakers in the game and not just the highest paid RB, then Vick getting $100 million with

$40 million guaranteed is not going to help him get signed anytime soon.

is not going to help him get signed anytime soon.
Chris Johnson can sit at home, make zero $$$ and watch Ringer and Harper play Sunday football. How many weeks of that will Chris Johnson like?@ JAXBAlDEN@ CLEI can see 3 of 4 games there that the Titans can run effectively against. Assuming they do - Chris Johnson will lose leverage each passing day. He has no greater leverage than right now, with Ringer dinged and a Rookie in Harper starting. Great risk in him waiting, he could lose millions (if Ringer/Harper do well) or he could maybe increase his value if Ringer stays hurt and Harper is ineffective.Will he CJ continue to play this game or take great money and sign? I still think he signs ......

Chris Johnson can sit at home, make zero $$$ and watch Ringer and Harper play Sunday football. How many weeks of that will Chris Johnson like?@ JAXBAlDEN@ CLEI can see 3 of 4 games there that the Titans can run effectively against. Assuming they do - Chris Johnson will lose leverage each passing day. He has no greater leverage than right now, with Ringer dinged and a Rookie in Harper starting. Great risk in him waiting, he could lose millions (if Ringer/Harper do well) or he could maybe increase his value if Ringer stays hurt and Harper is ineffective.Will he CJ continue to play this game or take great money and sign? I still think he signs ......
I don't think the performances of Ringer and Harper will have any effect on negotiations. It's not like Chris Johnson is the missing piece to a playoff team. CJ will make a 4-win team a 7-win team. We're basically entering the NFL version of the Lebron James sweepstakes. The only difference is that there is no lottery, may the worst team win. Why pay Chris Johnson a exorbitant amount of money when you can set a precedent for future holdouts while meanwhile taking a lottery ticket in the Luck sweepstakes? I know they drafted Locker 8th overall but when you're dealing with what many people consider the best quarterback prospect of the modern era you worry about that later. Regardless, Chris Johnson has zero leverage in my eyes and he won't be gaining any in the future. Hopefully, he has somebody close step in and advise him against this Segal brainwashing. Chris Johnson is obviously an exciting player to watch and will be sorely missed on Sundays if he doesn't come to his senses.

What I don't understand is that if the Titans are already willing to make him the highest paid RB in the league, why hasn't a deal happened yet? Was that BS they were putting out there?

What I don't understand is that if the Titans are already willing to make him the highest paid RB in the league, why hasn't a deal happened yet? Was that BS they were putting out there?
I'm starting to think that's BS. Sure, we keep hearing CJ wants "top playmaker" money, but I have hard time believing he'd say no to "highest paid RB in history" money.Maybe he went to ECU, but he still can't be that dumb.

I'm starting to think that's BS. Sure, we keep hearing CJ wants "top playmaker" money, but I have hard time believing he'd say no to "highest paid RB in history" money.Maybe he went to ECU, but he still can't be that dumb.
:goodposting: His agent must be sitting pretty these days. While he is not going to get the richest contract ever in the history of the NFL, the top paid RB is nothing to sneeze at.Here is the base salary data for rbs for 2011.http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/running-back/Here is the salary data for rbs from 2009-2010.http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/salaries/position/RB/2009You know he is going to be the highest paid RB as the Titans front office must honor their word. How can he and his agent turn their back on that kind of insane money?

:goodposting: His agent must be sitting pretty these days. While he is not going to get the richest contract ever in the history of the NFL, the top paid RB is nothing to sneeze at.Here is the base salary data for rbs for 2011.http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/running-back/Here is the salary data for rbs from 2009-2010.http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/salaries/position/RB/2009You know he is going to be the highest paid RB as the Titans front office must honor their word. How can he and his agent turn their back on that kind of insane money?
It depends on how the money is structured, it is relatively easy to have a contract that would average 10 mil a year but backloads it with non-guaranteed years. Reports are that CJ is looking for 39 mil G'd and they aren't close on this number so the Titans are probably offering 25-30, probably over a 3 year extension.

From Rotoworld:

Yahoo's Jason Cole reports that the Titans and Chris Johnson are still $10 million apart on guaranteed money.

According to Cole, Johnson wants $30 million guaranteed and $12 million per season in base salary. The Titans believe the deal should contain $20 million in guarantees and $8 million a year. Considering DeAngelo Williams got $21 million guaranteed on his five-year, $43 million deal, Johnson's camp certainly has a point. The two sides have a lot of ground to cover if a deal is going to get done in the next week.

Sounds like they are trying to lowball the guy. Typical Titans nonsense. Just pay the man already.

From Rotoworld:

Yahoo's Jason Cole reports that the Titans and Chris Johnson are still $10 million apart on guaranteed money.

According to Cole, Johnson wants $30 million guaranteed and $12 million per season in base salary. The Titans believe the deal should contain $20 million in guarantees and $8 million a year. Considering DeAngelo Williams got $21 million guaranteed on his five-year, $43 million deal, Johnson's camp certainly has a point. The two sides have a lot of ground to cover if a deal is going to get done in the next week.

Sounds like they are trying to lowball the guy. Typical Titans nonsense. Just pay the man already.
I don't think it's a fair comparison. Deangelo Williams was a free agent and Chris Johnson is still under contract. If Chris Johnson were a free agent I'm sure he'd be able to get whatever he wants but he isn't.

Chris Johnson can sit at home, make zero $$$ and watch Ringer and Harper play Sunday football. How many weeks of that will Chris Johnson like?@ JAX

BAl

DEN

@ CLE

I can see 3 of 4 games there that the Titans can run effectively against. Assuming they do - Chris Johnson will lose leverage each passing day. He has no greater leverage than right now, with Ringer dinged and a Rookie in Harper starting.

Great risk in him waiting, he could lose millions (if Ringer/Harper do well) or he could maybe increase his value if Ringer stays hurt and Harper is ineffective.

Will he CJ continue to play this game or take great money and sign?

I still think he signs ......
I don't think the performances of Ringer and Harper will have any effect on negotiations. It's not like Chris Johnson is the missing piece to a playoff team. CJ will make a 4-win team a 7-win team. We're basically entering the NFL version of the Lebron James sweepstakes. The only difference is that there is no lottery, may the worst team win. Why pay Chris Johnson a exorbitant amount of money when you can set a precedent for future holdouts while meanwhile taking a lottery ticket in the Luck sweepstakes? I know they drafted Locker 8th overall but when you're dealing with what many people consider the best quarterback prospect of the modern era you worry about that later. Regardless, Chris Johnson has zero leverage in my eyes and he won't be gaining any in the future. Hopefully, he has somebody close step in and advise him against this Segal brainwashing. Chris Johnson is obviously an exciting player to watch and will be sorely missed on Sundays if he doesn't come to his senses.
great point...

because the Titans are playing games. Sure, I'll make you the highest paid player I'll give you $5 mill/year for the 1st 3 years and then $20 million in year 4 and 5, $25 mill in year 6. That's an unreal $80 million contract too bad he'll only see the 1st 3 years of that deal until the Titans renegotiate or cut him. Notice they didn't say guaranteed money since that's the only money that really counts, everything else is monopoly money.

Chris Johnson's camp and the Titans are expected to talk Tuesday, according to Yahoo's Jason Cole.

"Don't expect much, but talking is better than not," says Cole. With Saturday's final roster cuts looming as a quasi-deadline, we'd expect negotiations to pick up steam this week. Everyone says nothing gets done until the last minute in the NFL and we are nearing the last minute as the Titans open the season in 12 days. We should have an update on any progress later today.

Please let this happen this week....In my high dollar very competitive league I got him 2.8 as everyone was scared. I could have Peterson and Johnson as my 1-2 RB's.

Chris Johnson's camp and the Titans are expected to talk Tuesday, according to Yahoo's Jason Cole."Don't expect much, but talking is better than not," says Cole. With Saturday's final roster cuts looming as a quasi-deadline, we'd expect negotiations to pick up steam this week. Everyone says nothing gets done until the last minute in the NFL and we are nearing the last minute as the Titans open the season in 12 days. We should have an update on any progress later today.Please let this happen this week....In my high dollar very competitive league I got him 2.8 as everyone was scared. I could have Peterson and Johnson as my 1-2 RB's.
:moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: Championship!!

From Rotoworld:

I don't think it's a fair comparison. Deangelo Williams was a free agent and Chris Johnson is still under contract. If Chris Johnson were a free agent I'm sure he'd be able to get whatever he wants but he isn't.
Yep, under contract for 2 more years for that matter. Huge difference between this and DWill.

If he doesn't sign and he's under contract, what are his prospects for playing next year? Is this like Vincent last year where he can show up and play the final 6 games of the year to fulfill the end of the contract (presuming he has one year left)?

Reading the last few posts, if true, I think the Titans are not negotiating in good faith. CJ deserves a fair deal, and that's probably top RB $ with a good amount guaranteed. I hope it works out.

And if he signs this week, I think he starts Week 1 and has few problems adjusting. The warnings about pulling his hammy and stuff is a little too on the fearful side.

If he doesn't sign and he's under contract, what are his prospects for playing next year? Is this like Vincent last year where he can show up and play the final 6 games of the year to fulfill the end of the contract (presuming he has one year left)?Reading the last few posts, if true, I think the Titans are not negotiating in good faith. CJ deserves a fair deal, and that's probably top RB $ with a good amount guaranteed. I hope it works out.And if he signs this week, I think he starts Week 1 and has few problems adjusting. The warnings about pulling his hammy and stuff is a little too on the fearful side.
CJ has 2 years left on his contract.No one knows what the Titans have offered him. The only thing that is known is that they are ~10 mil apart in guaranteed $$.

If he doesn't sign and he's under contract, what are his prospects for playing next year? Is this like Vincent last year where he can show up and play the final 6 games of the year to fulfill the end of the contract (presuming he has one year left)?Reading the last few posts, if true, I think the Titans are not negotiating in good faith. CJ deserves a fair deal, and that's probably top RB $ with a good amount guaranteed. I hope it works out.And if he signs this week, I think he starts Week 1 and has few problems adjusting. The warnings about pulling his hammy and stuff is a little too on the fearful side.
CJ has 2 years left on his contract.No one knows what the Titans have offered him. The only thing that is known is that they are ~10 mil apart in guaranteed $$.
I Saw titans offered 8 mil and change a yr with 20m guaranteed and CJ wants 12mil yr 30 guaranteed. If this is the case I'm leaning on CJ's side here, that is a low ball offer from Tenn. Thats less then D. Williams signed for and CJ is worth way more to Tenn then Williams is to Carolina. Not only talent wise but putting butts in seats and merchandise. My prediction is they meet in the middle and get this done by the end of the week, its closer then it looks. Johnson's on the high side and tenn is on the low side. CJ gets 10 mil 25 guaranteed. Which is good for both sides.

Aside from the money, what incentive does CJ have to sign? If he decides to skip this season, what are the drawbacks? Will he still be obligated to fulfill two years? Will he be blacklisted? What's his salary this year and next? What incentive does he have to complete his contract or just walk away?

Reminds me only a little bit of Javon Walker 5 or 6 years ago. Two years left, Packers said no offer but we'll talk with one year left (NFL norm) and Javon wrecks his knee in the first game and is never the same.

Aside from the money, what incentive does CJ have to sign? If he decides to skip this season, what are the drawbacks? Will he still be obligated to fulfill two years? Will he be blacklisted? What's his salary this year and next? What incentive does he have to complete his contract or just walk away?Reminds me only a little bit of Javon Walker 5 or 6 years ago. Two years left, Packers said no offer but we'll talk with one year left (NFL norm) and Javon wrecks his knee in the first game and is never the same.
I dunno. This seems different. The Titans have indicated that they want to make him the highest paid RB. So they are indicating that they would be willing to renegotiate his existing contract. They just need to agree on what is guaranteed money.

Aside from the money, what incentive does CJ have to sign? If he decides to skip this season, what are the drawbacks? Will he still be obligated to fulfill two years? Will he be blacklisted? What's his salary this year and next? What incentive does he have to complete his contract or just walk away?

Reminds me only a little bit of Javon Walker 5 or 6 years ago. Two years left, Packers said no offer but we'll talk with one year left (NFL norm) and Javon wrecks his knee in the first game and is never the same.
I dunno. This seems different. The Titans have indicated that they want to make him the highest paid RB. So they are indicating that they would be willing to renegotiate his existing contract. They just need to agree on what is guaranteed money.
If this is the only issue, then I think they'll get a deal done.Totally agree that the Vick deal did not help things. But maybe the Vick deal will get Titan management to realize that they need to improve their offer a bit.

If he decides to skip this season, what are the drawbacks?
Seems similar to the Revis thing last year.The rules then stated if a player under contract failed to report after X number of days then they would lose a year towards free agency. I don't know if the rules are the same now under the new agreement.

Users who are viewing this thread