What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ongoing Chris Johnson Discussions (1 Viewer)

OK for everyone wondering if he is going to sign....I kind of have an answer....from CJ himself.

I took todays 12 oclock flight on southwest from nashville to orlando and who was in the check in right in front of me head twitches and all...cj himself. We boarded and I sat right in front of him and his brother and his friend believe it or not in the very back of the plane in coach class. We talked about how he was ONLY offered from one college, East carolina, and how he wanted to play for the canes but broke his leg and no one really wanted him anymore. Anyhow I asked him and his brother seperately if he was going to sign soon and the lack of a positive response was the answer. It didnt sound good. Anyhow things change quickly when you realize your best player isnt in camp and you need to up your offer. I did hear him make mention of 10 to 10.7 to his brother and I dont know weather it was offered by tenn or wanted by him. He seemed like a decent guy, took a picture with him and he signed autos for a few folks, but most people didnt recognize him because he doesnt look like a giant nfl player.

My impression it may not get done as soon as it should and he is pretty small (by nfl standards), a couple inches shorter than me (maybe 5'10") and about the same size (190lbs)...certainly we have different bursts, ability to cut and stop on a dime (oh and future income). He said he would be ready though and had been training but you cant substitute a 300lber falling on you and the reps you get in camp. I hope he does well since he is one of my favorite players and certainly one of the most dynamic but I could easily see him get injured or pulling a groin or something early this year. I asked him if he thinks jeff demps will break his 4.24 combine record and he said no...I told him he would...twice! He didnt agree but laughed about it.

Btw I almost showed him my footballguys morning update saying to drop him down since the contract didnt appear close but I held back....sorry guys.
:lmao: I'm sure he would have LOVED that. Thanks for sharing.

It's a touchy situation for sure. What's interesting to me is that it's easy to see both sides in this. He sees running backs having the shortest of shelf lives and wants to be paid before he's used up. The Titans see running backs as having the shortest of shelf lives and don't want to overpay for a guy that gets used up.

My gut feel is that the talk about being the highest paid "playmaker" is more setting the bar high so you can "compromise" and "settle" for being easily the highest paid RB. The truth is that positions do matter. The best QB is always going to make more than the best punter. Every position in between is a little closer together. It's supply and demand and importance of the job. Pretty much like any thing.

CJ is clearly one of the best (if not the best) at his position. But the proven history of shelf life, the value of a RB and the supply that's out there will force him to "settle" for something north of the Adrian Peterson range and south of the Larry Fitzgerald range in my opinion.

Although I don't expect that to happen without some ugliness. On the upside, he's a guy that can roll into Nashville and produce the next day. I remember years ago Edgerrin James in his prime holding out. He ended the holdout, played a preseason game a day or two later and looked exactly like the guy from the previous year.

My prediction is that CJ gets a new deal and plays a full season this year. But he'll be a huge value as he (rightfully) drops down some boards for the risk.

J

If any one of us were in his shoes we would probably do the same thing. I didnt realize how little he was making last year...something like 900k. Heck that is probably less than minimum wage in the nba. Good luck to him!

Whats funny is Tenn got kipers worst grade on draft day for taking him late first. I distinctly remember espn crushing the titans for the pick as the biggest reach of the first round. And of course ESPN loved blair thomas and eric public bienemy too.

Maybe I should have told him if it wasnt for me picking him in his 2k year he would be a nothing....he owes it all to me....LOL!

While I was on the plane I looked showed some you tube clips to my staff of CJ at ecu and the titans. Man I forgot just how damn good he was. Amazing amazing talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
'pater familias said:
I wasnt writing that southwest had a first class. I was just saying he wasnt a "Im a first class passenger guy". Matter of fact Southwest does in fact have an early checkin upgrade class... $10 and you get to board and seat first with a drink in the morning (since they know most people dont drink in the am). I can tell you I grabbed his red leather bag for him out of the overhead bin, he sat in a window seat and had jean shorts which were near knee level and about to fall off with cut up legs at the calf (since they were hanging that far down). He ordered a ginger ale and listened to his red headphones for alot of the flight and wsasnt bothered (except by me of course). We had a honeymoon couple on the plane and they turned out all the lights and sang "happy anniversary to you" (yes I know it wasnt an anniversary but what else do you sing) to the couple who were both a patient and an employee of mine. The groom got a role of toilet paper with fake candles on top. He told me no one recruited him at all since he broke his leg in a car crash senior season at Olympia to which I said unbelievable since local shool UCF desperately needing a quality running back during that time and coach Oleary didnt even make a call to him (but thats another story). Ill work on getting my picture posted for you non believers but Im not too computer savvy. Truthfully I dont get my jollies from making something up I just wanted to pass on info I got because I like fantasy footbal and had a pretty cool experience which I wanted to share with others who obviously like FF too or you wouldnt be here.
Thanks for posting this. :thumbup:

Would love to see Johnson sign this week. I have no chance to get him at 7, but it would guarantee me one of the top 6 running backs or Andre Johnson.

This whole situation is just odd. I don't know what has taken so long, but it sounds like this is going to be the first time they discuss numbers at all. All it takes is a minute over the phone to get the talks started. It's going to be a complete waste of time if he flies in with his agent only to find out the two sides are miles apart.

This whole situation is just odd. I don't know what has taken so long, but it sounds like this is going to be the first time they discuss numbers at all. All it takes is a minute over the phone to get the talks started. It's going to be a complete waste of time if he flies in with his agent only to find out the two sides are miles apart.
IMO no way do they fly in if they've not talked at least a little on where they're at. They're closer than they let on.

David Dodd's latest top 300 list has CJ as the 13th player that should be taken, as the 8th RB, and also has him in red as a "player to avoid." Still think this is crazy talk.

After the Fitz & Thomas signings I think the Titans are willing to pay Johnson a fortune. Id be shocked if hes not signed soon after hearing this news of them meeting.

He's flown in to start negotiating.
From everything I've read, that's what it sounds like to me too. Shouldn't they have done most of the negotiating over the phone, then just finalize it in person? Maybe they are closer than they're saying, not sure why they'd keep that a secret, but I guess we'll know more tomorrow.

If he does sign in the next few days, then I, and everyone like me who drafted this last weekend and took this guy after the 7th pick (I took him in the 10 spot) got really lucky. We were able to take advantage of a window of uncertainty that will be closed very soon.

In my case, it allowed me to take Chris Johnson at 10 and Andre Johnson at 11. Will those two help me to win my league this year? Who knows? But it's a great start I never could have acheived without this holdout.

'timschochet said:
If he does sign in the next few days, then I, and everyone like me who drafted this last weekend and took this guy after the 7th pick (I took him in the 10 spot) got really lucky. We were able to take advantage of a window of uncertainty that will be closed very soon. In my case, it allowed me to take Chris Johnson at 10 and Andre Johnson at 11. Will those two help me to win my league this year? Who knows? But it's a great start I never could have acheived without this holdout.
Well, sure. But that's kind of obvious. It's like if we were told there was a 10% chance Aaron Rodgers would be suspended for the season, his ADP would drop, and if he wasn't suspended for the season, all the Rodgers owners were really lucky. I think the fantasy community has dropped Johnson an appropriate amount, given the risk involved. No way can you spend a top-5 pick on a guy holding out 2.5 weeks before the start of the season.

After the Fitz & Thomas signings I think the Titans are willing to pay Johnson a fortune. Id be shocked if hes not signed soon after hearing this news of them meeting.
Why would those signings cause the Titans to want to pay Johnson significantly more than they already wanted to?If the reports are true, the only party in this would be impacted by what another position just signed for is Johnson. Reportedly, the Titans understand that the pay scale for RBs should be different than that of WRs and OTs.From that aspect, the large Fitz/Thomas signings could possibly drag this out even longer, if it further increases the gap between what Johnson thinks he should make and what the Titans are willing to pay.I have no idea what'll happen, but I can't see how the Fitz/Thomas signings would speed things up.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know when the last time the team with the league's highest paid RB won the Super Bowl?

I'd guess it was Emmitt Smith in '95, TD in '98 or Faulk in '99. All three were 26 years old at the time and I don't remember their contract situations. Had they cashed in yet?

Since then, there isn't even a remote possibility. Heck, the only 1500 yard RB to win a SB since then was a 30 year old Corey Dillon.

Maybe the Titans are trying to decide if it even makes sense to employ the league's highest paid RB...

Only 3 all-time great RBs have helped their team win a SB in the free-agency era. None did it after age 26. Isn't CJ's current contract supposed to run out when he's 26?

'timschochet said:
If he does sign in the next few days, then I, and everyone like me who drafted this last weekend and took this guy after the 7th pick (I took him in the 10 spot) got really lucky. We were able to take advantage of a window of uncertainty that will be closed very soon. In my case, it allowed me to take Chris Johnson at 10 and Andre Johnson at 11. Will those two help me to win my league this year? Who knows? But it's a great start I never could have acheived without this holdout.
Well, sure. But that's kind of obvious. It's like if we were told there was a 10% chance Aaron Rodgers would be suspended for the season, his ADP would drop, and if he wasn't suspended for the season, all the Rodgers owners were really lucky. I think the fantasy community has dropped Johnson an appropriate amount, given the risk involved. No way can you spend a top-5 pick on a guy holding out 2.5 weeks before the start of the season.
I agree that you might not want to take him top 5. But you guys (FBG) dropped him to 13. That's too low, IMO.

For now, Titans and CJ2K are not close to a deal and are not expected to be much closer by the end of the day.
Schefter 9:45 am
If he leaves TENN without any deal, what happens to his ADP then? Drops or stays as it is now?I'm not sure if that would be considered a step back or not.
I think it would have to be a bad thing. It would be kind of like if you have ever walked on to a c ar lot and the salesperson tells you "just come on in and we'll work this out". And then you do, and then you leave a few hours later with no deal because it wasn't nearly as good as what they were drumming it up to be.In cases like that, I have felt like I wasted time and it turned me away from those people a bit. Of course, a deal could still get done but it leaves you a bit bitter.

In CJ's case, I'm sure the longer this keeps getting talked about but with no resolve, the more frustrated he will be. I can't imagine the situation really when its about that much money. If I had millions hanging in the balance vs. my current salary and it seemed close but I just couldn't seal the deal, I would be a little edgy.

Even without money being involved, think of it as a FF owner: You ever get worked up because you are SO close to getting a deal and just can't get all the pieces in place for both of you to push the button???

'timschochet said:
I Disagree, Most of us are in competitive leagues and you need to take risks. If you draft Vanilla your no better off then anyone else in the league that drafted vanilla. This is a chance for people that are drafting after the 5 spot to take a risk that could pay off big time. Back up your risk with Ringer in the double digit rounds and that would at least give you an rb3-rb2 upside.... If CJ holds out. We went through this same story last year with Reevis, have we not learned? This situation is only made scary because of Vjax last year, but he is the exception not the rule. When CJ signs before the season everyone in that 5+ hole that passed on him will be pissed because they passed when they knew the ending of this story.

'timschochet said:
I Disagree, Most of us are in competitive leagues and you need to take risks. If you draft Vanilla your no better off then anyone else in the league that drafted vanilla. This is a chance for people that are drafting after the 5 spot to take a risk that could pay off big time. Back up your risk with Ringer in the double digit rounds and that would at least give you an rb3-rb2 upside.... If CJ holds out. We went through this same story last year with Reevis, have we not learned? This situation is only made scary because of Vjax last year, but he is the exception not the rule. When CJ signs before the season everyone in that 5+ hole that passed on him will be pissed because they passed when they knew the ending of this story.
Have you ever heard "you can't win your league with your 1st round pick, but you can lose it"? I think that applies here. Obviously anyone taking CJ should target Ringer, but everyone else in your league knows the situation as well and will be targeting him too. The bottom line is, if you take CJ anywhere in the 1st round and he holds out for even part of the regular season, you're really hurting your chances at winning, even if you land Ringer later.Another point- it obviously depends on where you get him, but if his ADP is around 7 now, it's entirely possible that he doesn't live up to that even if he signs today. He's already missed most of camp, and Tennessee has a realistic chance to be pretty terrible this year. I own him in a dynasty, and I wouldn't let him slip out of the top 10 in a redraft just because of upside, but it's not like it's a slam-dunk steal.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee general manager Mike Reinfeldt said Wednesday's meeting with Chris Johnson was "beneficial" even though no deal was reached.

The GM expects to talk with the running back's agent again in the "next day or so."

"It was important for us to have a face-to-face meeting so that everyone could have a voice and understand the perspective of the other side," Reinfeldt said in a statement released by the team. "I'm not sure there was any progress made, but I do think it was beneficial to meet. We were able to discuss several different elements of a potential contract, but there was no agreement on those topics."

Neither Johnson nor his agent, Joel Segal, immediately responded to messages from The Associated Press.

Upon his arrival Tuesday night in Nashville, Johnson told The Tennessean that he wasn't sure if the meeting would result in a new deal.

"I want to be here. We'll see," Johnson told the newspaper.

Although the Titans publicly stated they are willing to make Johnson the highest-paid running back in the NFL, those close to the player say he believes he should be paid as one of the NFL's top playmakers -- not just as a running back, sources familiar with the situation have told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

League sources have told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that Johnson is seeking a deal that would pay him $39 million in the first three years, a $13 million average, which would place him in that elite status he is seeking beyond the running back market.

When The Tennessean asked Johnson what would occur if the Titans wouldn't agree to his salary demands, he said he would reserve comment until after Wednesday's meeting.

"I have no answers today. I'll answer that tomorrow," he told the newspaper.

Johnson is scheduled to earn $1.065 million for 2011 after Tennessee revised his contract a year ago to get him more money. His original five-year contract was for $12 million.

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound running back has led the NFL in yards rushing the past three seasons since being drafted 24th overall out of East Carolina, and his 4,598 yards rushing ranks behind only Eric Dickerson (5,147), Earl Campbell (5,081) and Jamal Lewis (4,757) for a back's first three seasons.

Now Adrian Peterson is due to make more than $10 million this season, and big-money contracts have been signed all around the NFL since the lockout ended. Carolina running back DeAngelo Williams got $21 million in guaranteed money as part of a five-year deal for $43 million.

The numbers have gone even higher since.

Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald agreed to an eight-year deal worth up to $120 million Saturday night, prompting Johnson to congratulate him on Twitter and tweet "god is good."

Carolina center Ryan Kalil got a five-year deal, and Cleveland gave left tackle Joe Thomas a seven-year deal worth $84 million.

Speedy running backs have a shorter career span. Johnson, who turns 26 on Sept. 23, has missed only one game, and he was deactivated in 2008 with the AFC's top playoff berth already clinched. He has started 46 of the 47 games he has played and has fumbled only six times in three seasons, with 925 rushing attempts and 137 receptions in that span.

If he's there at #8, I'm grabbing him. I don't play fantasy football to make the playoffs, I play to win the championship.

If he's there at #8, I'm grabbing him. I don't play fantasy football to make the playoffs, I play to win the championship.
Agreed. Just kept him over Roddy White. Potentially having the best RB in CJ3 and the best WR in Andre Johnson was slightly better than having AJ and another top 5 WR. Close, and somewhat risky, but I play to win it all.

I have the 8th overall Friday night. I am taking him if he is there. He will be in before week one. And be rocking by week 3. If you know what your doing you will be able to overcome a couple of weeks of maybe limited carries. He is in trememdous shape as it is and will just need a couple of games with 14-15 touches to get back into the swing, get hit hard a few times and make sure he does not push his hammys and quads to hard without a formal pre-season.I can't imagine the Titans not getting this done before the season. Hard to envision. CJ is one of the 3 best offensive players in the NFL.

'timschochet said:
Yes, and Revis was less valuable in 2010 than in 2009. Right now I think CJ is a risky pick at 5 or 6, a justifiable pick at 7 or 8, a solid pick at 9 or 10, and a value pick after that. Obviously his owners lucked out if he signs tomorrow, but that's no different than saying the Mike Vick owners were very lucky if we find out he plays in 16 games this year.

Revis is the best player to ever put on pads....think of him as Achilles but with better cleats.

That said, just want to :blackdot: this thread as I just traded for CJ2k.

No way this thing lasts into the season. With the way the OL has looked so far this preseason, the improved look of the defense from the off year last season, and the questionable situations in Jacksonville and Indianapolis, the Titans have a legit shot at the AFC South title this season.

CJ is by far the best player on the team, and the Titans have already said they are willing to make him the highest paid RB of all time. He is holding out for as long as he can, but I would be shocked if he does not suit up week one against the Jags. From all accounts, he is a stand up guy, and I don't see any way he turns down the huge money the Titans WILL OFFER. This thing will drag on for another week - 10 days, then CJ will get a weeks worth of practice for the Jags game. Best RB in the game!

That new picture of him should have silenced all those guys who thought I photo-shopped the picture. Man I hope he has at least taken the hoodie off and showered since Sunday! I bet he flew SouthWest up there but quite frankly what was the owner thinking....send your private plane to get him and show him how much you value him on your club. Instead this move reeks of cheapness of tenn ownership...bad move IMO. With guys like CJ it is as much about respect as it is the coin and making him come up coach on SouthWest is just showing your bell cow no respect. It wouldnt surprise me if the deal doesnt happen for some time with moves like that.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know when the last time the team with the league's highest paid RB won the Super Bowl?I'd guess it was Emmitt Smith in '95, TD in '98 or Faulk in '99. All three were 26 years old at the time and I don't remember their contract situations. Had they cashed in yet?Since then, there isn't even a remote possibility. Heck, the only 1500 yard RB to win a SB since then was a 30 year old Corey Dillon.Maybe the Titans are trying to decide if it even makes sense to employ the league's highest paid RB...Only 3 all-time great RBs have helped their team win a SB in the free-agency era. None did it after age 26. Isn't CJ's current contract supposed to run out when he's 26?
A guy like Chris Johnson will sell tickets, and given their lack of star power without him, the Titans probably cannot afford to lose him. But is is true that needing a top flight RB is not necessary. Having a stud RB is low on the list of things needed to win a Super Bowl. There is a reason why Adrian Peterson, LaDainian Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander and Priest Holmes didn't get rings in the last decade, but Antowain Smith, James Starks, Joseph Addai and Michael Pittman did. Meanwhile, if you look at the QB studs of the last decade, pretty much all of them (Brady, Manning, Warner, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rodgers) have rings except Rivers.

Any other news from the "meeting" yesterday? Did he fly back home with nothing resolved?
He Did Fly Back to Orlando yesterday per Jim Wyatt who covers Tenn. CJ did just tweet that he is working out this morning ( which is better then him tweeting from a KFC drive through last week) and he said he will update his situation with Tenn soon, i'm guessing via tweeter.

In today's daily email, Joe wrote:

We see Johnson falling somewhere between picks 5-8 in most fantasy drafts. He's too much of a value to pass on at that point.

I think this is a perfectly reasonable assessment. I grabbed CJ at the 10 spot, and considered it a steal. However, in his Top 300 list from yesterday, David Dodds has Johnson all the way down to # 12, behind Mendenhall and McCoy among others. That makes no sense to me.

We see Johnson falling somewhere between picks 5-8 in most fantasy drafts. He's too much of a value to pass on at that point.

I think this is a perfectly reasonable assessment. I grabbed CJ at the 10 spot, and considered it a steal. However, in his Top 300 list from yesterday, David Dodds has Johnson all the way down to # 12, behind Mendenhall and McCoy among others. That makes no sense to me.
I have an auction coming up on Saturday. I hope he doesn't sign before because I'm bidding on him as if he's in camp. Nice thing about the way our league works is if he doesn't play, I can cut him for a top guy and gain all of the cap space back. I'm think 25% of the cap right now for him.

Everyone has their own level of risk tolerance. Obviously DD is either more pessimistic about when CJ will play or does not have a highlevel of risk tolerance.

If he does sign in the next few days, then I, and everyone like me who drafted this last weekend and took this guy after the 7th pick (I took him in the 10 spot) got really lucky. We were able to take advantage of a window of uncertainty that will be closed very soon.

In my case, it allowed me to take Chris Johnson at 10 and Andre Johnson at 11. Will those two help me to win my league this year? Who knows? But it's a great start I never could have acheived without this holdout.
Have you ever heard "you can't win your league with your 1st round pick, but you can lose it"? I think that applies here. Obviously anyone taking CJ should target Ringer, but everyone else in your league knows the situation as well and will be targeting him too. The bottom line is, if you take CJ anywhere in the 1st round and he holds out for even part of the regular season, you're really hurting your chances at winning, even if you land Ringer later.Another point- it obviously depends on where you get him, but if his ADP is around 7 now, it's entirely possible that he doesn't live up to that even if he signs today. He's already missed most of camp, and Tennessee has a realistic chance to be pretty terrible this year. I own him in a dynasty, and I wouldn't let him slip out of the top 10 in a redraft just because of upside, but it's not like it's a slam-dunk steal.
:goodposting: Exactly. Because What you, in essence, are doing is running the risk of turning your lineup into "their LeSean mcCoy against your Ringer". ???

I just totally disagree with the poster that said they will take him high because they are in it to win championships. I guess it works to take big leaps of faith if you are in a very simple and vanilla league but in any comprehensive league and especially larger leagues with IDP, it takes a good all around team to win and, by far, the teams that win titles are usually the better all around complete teams with depth much more so than the teams that take the leaps and hit a homerun with a single player. In my three most competitive leagues last year (16 team IDPs with PPR), none of those teams that won the title had Arian Foster or Michael Vick (and that's about a big a homerun that has been hit on a player since Priest Holmes came to Kansas City).

Pretty much, if you have the mentality that your very first pick is going to win your league and craste a huge casm of advantage, you either play in a very basic league or you likely are jus tthe type of person who should go to the casino and bet it all on black because that's about what you're doing.

The thing I find really interesting in this whole topic is that it involves chris Johnson. A lot of people have SUCH a perception that he is like LT in his prime or something but he's far from it. You see a lot of "best back" posts and stuff but he's not that great in fantasy when you play leagues that are not basic. Sure, you can draft him high on value perception but when the rubber meets the road, he is so feast or famine in his point production, that he is not a solid block foundation FF player for your team. He's the dynamic guy that can single handedly get you wins sometime with big points but he's also the guy that, in half his games, is not going to look any different in the points department than Tim Hightower.

For that reason, if I were building a team, I think I would rather have about 6-7 guys over him anyways.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know when the last time the team with the league's highest paid RB won the Super Bowl?I'd guess it was Emmitt Smith in '95, TD in '98 or Faulk in '99. All three were 26 years old at the time and I don't remember their contract situations. Had they cashed in yet?Since then, there isn't even a remote possibility. Heck, the only 1500 yard RB to win a SB since then was a 30 year old Corey Dillon.Maybe the Titans are trying to decide if it even makes sense to employ the league's highest paid RB...Only 3 all-time great RBs have helped their team win a SB in the free-agency era. None did it after age 26. Isn't CJ's current contract supposed to run out when he's 26?
A guy like Chris Johnson will sell tickets, and given their lack of star power without him, the Titans probably cannot afford to lose him. But is is true that needing a top flight RB is not necessary. Having a stud RB is low on the list of things needed to win a Super Bowl. There is a reason why Adrian Peterson, LaDainian Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander and Priest Holmes didn't get rings in the last decade, but Antowain Smith, James Starks, Joseph Addai and Michael Pittman did. Meanwhile, if you look at the QB studs of the last decade, pretty much all of them (Brady, Manning, Warner, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rodgers) have rings except Rivers.
A big part of that reason is simply longevity. Favre, Manning and Marino combined for 2 rings in 52 seasons while a back like Priest Holmes was only a starter for 3.5 years in his prime. Meanwhile guys like Jamal Lewis look like sure fire HOFers their first 3 years on the league only to have injuries (and in his case an arrest) derail his career. Shaun Alexander went to 1 super bowl in 5 years of his prime which is a better ratio that Favre or Peyton. LT went to 1 conference championship in his first 7 years- the same # as Peyton, and Peterson has been to 1 CC game in 4 years. Jamaal Anderson carried the Falcons to the SB at 26 but didn't have even 1 good year after that left in him. Faulk, Emmit Smith and Terrell Davis all were vital to their teams making multiple SBs. Obviously RBs aren't as important as QBs but the whole "great RBs don't win SBs" has a lot more to do with the fact that they really only have a few prime years and only 1 team wins it each year.

I think you either roll the dice that he plays week 1 or you cross him off your board. Lowering him to a second round prospect is likely an exercise in futility anyway because somebody is going to jump on him in your league most likely.

From PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Chris Johnson: “We are not seeing eye-to-eye”

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 25, 2011, 1:15 PM EDT

APChris Johnson met with the Titans on Wednesday, but all indications point to the two sides being far apart on contract talks. Johnson has returned to Florida in the meantime.

“I feel like I came in and they gave me their points and we gave them our points and we are not seeing eye-to-eye right now,” Johnson said via Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean.

The Titans echoed that sentiment in a statement.

“We were able to discuss several different elements of a potential contract, but there was no agreement on those topics,” Titans G.M. Mike Reinfeldt.

We said that we’d start to get skeptical about Johnson being ready for the season if there was no progress this week. Meeting is a step in the right direction. Wyatt believes Johnson wants considerably more than $10-million-per-season, and the Titans aren’t willing to go that far.

Tennessee does want Johnson available for the season opener, though. Promising backup Javon Ringer has been out for the last week with an injury, so the team will likely use third-string rookie Jamie Harper as the starter this week.

UPDATE: Here’s Florio’s take from PFT Live on the latest with Johnson.
Not looking good to me. I'll be surprised now if he is there by week 1.

Users who are viewing this thread