What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Onterrio Smith (1 Viewer)

Humping Rhino

Footballguy
I figured that Smith would have a pretty good, if not great, game tonight. With the 4th quarter almost over, he is basically being ignored by Culpepper and the Viking OC. Now that the game is out of hand Onterrio is likely done for the day. This sucks! I thought I had a gem a play this week.

I actually see some positives. When he's had room, he's made some good runs. Viking O line hasn't been dominant as advertised. Got to give the Eagles props. I like the way he is catching the ball out of the backfield. If Kleinsasser is in there, might make a big diff with running game. 84 total yards with 3+ minutes to go..

Yup, remind me to never pimp Onterrio Smith again. He looked pathetic tonight. He ran tentative, had no burst or explosiveness and he was awful near the goal line. It was obvious Tice lost confidence in him after the first half because he had just one carry in the second half despite the game being close for most of the way. He had 3 carries for 26 yards and his other 7 carries went for 2 yards. All that against a poor run defense that was chewed up and spit out by Tiki Barber and Ron Dayne last week. If you get 1 pt/reception he salvaged you something with a bunch of receptions in garbage time, but if you don't have that scoring he was a huge disappointment. We saw tonight why Smith is the backup RB on this team. Although Madden said the Vikings don't plan to rush Bennett back and will hold him out until Week 5, after tonight's game they may want to change that tune if Bennett looks like he'll be ready to practice. Their offense badly missed him against Philly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe big Moe will return for week 3? I haven't heard anything regarding his injury status though.

Overreaction....The RB doesn't do it by themselves. The lineman and coordinators might have something to do with it - ya think? :rolleyes:

Overreaction....The RB doesn't do it by themselves. The lineman and coordinators might have something to do with it - ya think? :rolleyes:
Of course it is, but being a Moe owner I can't help myself...

Huh? Smith looked fine to me. With a ramshakle O line due to the loss of Kliensasser and the T early in the game, he did alright. I was suprised they kept with the run for as long as they did.

the game was NOT out of hand until owen's TD and even then the vikings had enough time to score twice if they had a good defensive stand...having said that, it looked to me that tice lost confidence in O especially at the goalline...third and goal, O couldn't punch it in. next play, tice calls cpepp's number (who fumbles)...after that, it was almost all passing plays...just wondering moe's status for next week's game vs. division rival chicago...they could certainly use him for those short yardage/GL plays...

With the score as close as 10-6 and at worst 17-9, the Vikes went from 5:11 left in the 2nd quarter till 14:20 of the 4th without calling a running play to OSmith (or any RB for that matter). They became one-dimensional and played right into Jim Johnson's hand. Minny abandoned the run way too early.

With the score as close as 10-6 and at worst 17-9, the Vikes went from 5:11 left in the 2nd quarter till 14:20 of the 4th without calling a running play to OSmith (or any RB for that matter). They became one-dimensional and played right into Jim Johnson's hand. Minny abandoned the run way too early.
Exactly. I had both O & Moss going in that game, and was furious they weren't running O more in the 2nd. If its one thing I've learned watching Belichick & the Pats these last few years, its the value of running the ball even if it gets you nowhere. Even if you are avgeraging 3.0ypc, if you are attempting runs, the D has to respect that and still play the run. This opens up the passing game.Meathead tipped his hand by not even offering a pretense of running and PHI tee'd up on Culpepper and brought people every play. That was just awful playing calling by MIN, regardless of any fantasy implications. :(

Meathead tipped his hand by not even offering a pretense of running and PHI tee'd up on Culpepper and brought people every play. That was just awful playing calling by MIN, regardless of any fantasy implications
Great post. I couldn't agree more. That said, O Smith blew it in the first half when he couldn't get in from the 1 after getting stopped short on the screen pass. If he gets in on any of those 3 plays, fantasy owners are happy.

Yep... Minnesota was totally one dimensional, and it was killing me... there were huge hols on some of the "play action" plays, that CPep should have just handed off to Smith on... but it was pretty much apparent they were going to ignore him from 2nd quarter on...c'est la vie... that's what you risk playing a Minnesota RB, even last week O only had 15 carries... I expected more this week, not less...

Can we stop pimping O Smith now? He looked terrible and will still be suspended for 4 games! When Bennett comes back he will be the man and will run much better then Smith

I figured that Smith would have a pretty good, if not great, game tonight. With the 4th quarter almost over, he is basically being ignored by Culpepper and the Viking OC. Now that the game is out of hand Onterrio is likely done for the day. This sucks! I thought I had a gem a play this week.
:cry: I was up on my opponent by 30 fantasy points coming into the game. The players I haven't started - Randy Moss and Onterrio SmithThe players he hasn't started- Daunte Culpepper and the Minnesota defenseI'm figuring, I can't lose this game. If he (Daunte) gets shut down by the defense, the whole team will do bad but I have a 30 point lead. If the Vikings blow up for a tons of yards, Onterrio and Moss will prosper. Boy was I wrong :wall:

I thought the Vikings only ran less when Bennett was the starter. ;) There's no doubt it was terrible playcalling by the Vikings. The game was close until Owens' controversial touchdown (another example of poor coaching -- nobody in the Vikings' booth could see that was clearly a play that should be reviewed? Wow) and yet Tice refused to show any sign of a running game. I think he clearly lost confidence in Smith because of how poorly Smith was running and that impacted the rest of the game. Fantasy implications aside (and I didn't need Smith to dominate last night because I had a huge week anyway so this isn't me lamenting what might have been), I was not impressed with how Smith ran the ball. As I said initially, he looked tentative, had no burst and seemed to be unsure what to do when he got the ball in his hands. Compare how he ran with how good Westbrook looked. That was a guy sure of himself and who was explosive every time he touched the ball. In other words, Smith looked like a backup RB thrust into the starting job. Due to bye-week situations next week I have to start him again, but I'll have extremely diminished expectations against the Bears. He'll probably look good at home against a lesser team, but this was a big test for Smith (big game, Monday night, on the road against one of the premier teams in the league) and he failed pretty badly. For a guy so many people are convinced should be the starter, he did nothing last night to indicate he's the superior runner to Bennett. And who would've thought after two weeks the Lions would be alone in the first place in the NFC North? Go figure.

Has anybody seen Switz? Maybe he can give some insight on why his boy CHOKED :boxing:
Da Masses - Please go back to whatever hole you crawled out of.
:penalty: All in good fun, Beto, did you play Onterrio too???? :yes:

Just want to hear why, in detail, from the foremost authority on O Smith for the last two years, and has been the man's staunchest defender, just one thing...............

Why his boy CHOKED

I'll wait :popcorn:

:penalty:

All in good fun, Beto, did you play Onterrio too???? :yes:

Just want to hear why, in detail, from the foremost authority on O Smith for the last two years, and has been the man's staunchest defender, just one thing...............

Why his boy CHOKED

I think you need more than 10 attempts...If anyone "choked", it was the Minn offensive coordinator and his lame scheme

I think you need more than 10 attempts...If anyone "choked", it was the Minn offensive coordinator and his lame scheme
10 attempts for what, twenty something yards??? How long are they supposed to wait????Onterrio was labeled as the second coming, the SOD. Isn't he supposed to do better than 28yrds for 10 carries. Where were the receptions.He's garbage, THAT'S why he the backup.

Why his boy CHOKED

Westbrook only needed 12 attempts. I agree with the dude that said Onterrio did not look good when he did get the ball.

10 attempts for what, twenty something yards??? How long are they supposed to wait????Onterrio was labeled as the second coming, the SOD. Isn't he supposed to do better than 28yrds for 10 carries. Where were the receptions.He's garbage, THAT'S why he the backup.
Let me preface this by saying that I am an Eagles fan.The Eagles weakness is evident - run up the middle and keep running up the middle, at the linebackers. Yes, you may get 3 carries for 4 yards, but sooner or later the Vikings would have broken a long run - but, I guess we'll never know since the Vikings totally abandoned the run by the halftime.Why do you think the Eagles were so successful at defending Moss? The Eagles were pinning their ears back and blitzing from all angles giving Culpepper little time. The Eagles didn't respect the run at all.You can't just pass... and Onterrio Smith isn't terrible. That statement is ludicrous.

Just want to hear why, in detail, from the foremost authority on O Smith for the last two years, and has been the man's staunchest defender,  just one thing...............

Why his boy CHOKED

Westbrook only needed 12 attempts. I agree with the dude that said Onterrio did not look good when he did get the ball.
The difference between Westbrook and Smith was staggering. One RB looked sure of himself, ran with authority and was explosive. The other was tentative, looked unsure where to go and failed to make much happen. And while Smith's 2.8 YPC is pretty pathetic, what's even more telling about his night is that he had 7 carries for 2 yards. That's a whopping 0.3 YPC. That's real poor against a bad run defense.

All I'll say is that the ignorance in this thread about Onterrio's talent is absolutely astounding. It happens. There are great RBs who get only 30 yards on 10 carries at various points in games. He played against a very agressive defense that played a perfect game. The Vikings playcalling was atrocious.I'm not going to discount every time he's looked fantastic for one game where he didn't have a lot of room to run. The guy averaged over 5 YPC carry last year, and averaged about 5 YC in his STARTS, too. Then he goes for over 5 YPC against Dallas with a long TD reception. So, after one week all of that means nothing? Uh, no.FYI, Jamal Lewis had 36 yards on his first 7 carries against the Steelers on Sunday. His next 17 carries went for 26 yards.... HE SUCKS!!!Edit to add you guys REALLY need to remember he's still a very young back without a lot of NFL experience. The sky is the limit for him.

Obviously there is no point in arguing with you. You are hung up on the 10 carries for 28 yards. Onterrio had 8 receptions for 56 yards. Are you ignoring that?Can we look at last week?Right now Onterrio Smith is tied for 15th in fantasy points among RBs, guess who he is tied with - Wonder Boy Brian Westbrook.

All I'll say is that the ignorance in this thread about Onterrio's talent is absolutely astounding. It happens. There are great RBs who get only 30 yards on 10 carries at various points in games. He played against a very agressive defense that played a perfect game. The Vikings playcalling was atrocious.
Physical talent, yes, but the guy has NO vision. He showed an uncanny inability to get around his own blockers. He would follow someone into the hole only to run up their back or trip over their feet. This happened everytime a hole would open up. Maybe he need a face mask modification.. or Lasik.VERY DISSAPOINTING.

All I'll say is that the ignorance in this thread about Onterrio's talent is absolutely astounding. It happens. There are great RBs who get only 30 yards on 10 carries at various points in games. He played against a very agressive defense that played a perfect game. The Vikings playcalling was atrocious.I'm not going to discount every time he's looked fantastic for one game where he didn't have a lot of room to run. The guy averaged over 5 YPC carry last year, and averaged about 5 YC in his STARTS, too. Then he goes for over 5 YPC against Dallas with a long TD reception. So, after one week all of that means nothing? Uh, no.FYI, Jamal Lewis had 36 yards on his first 7 carries against the Steelers on Sunday. His next 17 carries went for 26 yards.... HE SUCKS!!!Edit to add you guys REALLY need to remember he's still a very young back without a lot of NFL experience. The sky is the limit for him.
How can you compare Onterrio to JLew :confused: As far as the YPC, Switz and I talked about that in another thread.He ran against teams with weak run D's with the exception of one, and in that game as well, he was mediocre too. We've seen this year that Dallas D has slipped a notch.Smith is a average back at best.Hate to tell you, but the sky is falling fast for Onterrio.

All I'll say is that the ignorance in this thread about Onterrio's talent is absolutely astounding. It happens. There are great RBs who get only 30 yards on 10 carries at various points in games. He played against a very agressive defense that played a perfect game. The Vikings playcalling was atrocious.
Physical talent, yes, but the guy has NO vision. He showed an uncanny inability to get around his own blockers. He would follow someone into the hole only to run up their back or trip over their feet. This happened everytime a hole would open up. Maybe he need a face mask modification.. or Lasik.VERY DISSAPOINTING.
Well, I guess that all of the times in the last year that people have commented how great his vision is were all misguided. It couldn't be that he's a young RB making his 3rd NFL start on a big stage against a top team on Monday Night Football, and he was just a little bit too excited hitting the holes, could it? Nah, couldn't be.Say what you want... ignore the receptions or everthing he's done for the past year, and focus on one game where he ONLY accounted for about 80 yards of offense. It amazes me how people can focus so intently on one game and make a judgement like that.

Glad I lost the bidding war for him so I had to start Barlow. Saved me the possibility of losing this week. :bag:

How can you compare Onterrio to JLew :confused: As far as the YPC, Switz and I talked about that in another thread.He ran against teams with weak run D's with the exception of one, and in that game as well, he was mediocre too. We've seen this year that Dallas D has slipped a notch.Smith is a average back at best.Hate to tell you, but the sky is falling fast for Onterrio.
I'm not comparing him to Lewis. I'm using it as the first example that came to mind as a star RB who averaged a terrible YPC over a long stretch of a game. It happens all the time.You're right. Onterrio will be out of football, scarred by last night's performance. Who am I to argue?

Obviously there is no point in arguing with you. You are hung up on the 10 carries for 28 yards. Onterrio had 8 receptions for 56 yards. Are you ignoring that?Can we look at last week?Right now Onterrio Smith is tied for 15th in fantasy points among RBs, guess who he is tied with - Wonder Boy Brian Westbrook.
Those catches came late in the 4th quarter, when Philly was giving up the short passing game to shut down the big plays. Garbage yards at bestDifference between Westbrook and Onterrio, consistancy.Onterrio is AWESOME against teams with weak run D's. He look HORRIBLE against team with average D's or better.Does he have talent, yes. Does that mean he's will be a good NFL starter one day, hopefully.Is he the second coming, NO!!!! Is he ready to carry the load for Minn, NOT YET AND NOT THIS YEAR!!!That's the point I'm trying to make.

Obviously there is no point in arguing with you.  You are hung up on the 10 carries for 28 yards. 

Onterrio had 8 receptions for 56 yards.  Are you ignoring that?

Can we look at last week?

Right now Onterrio Smith is tied for 15th in fantasy points among RBs, guess who he is tied with - Wonder Boy Brian Westbrook.
Those catches came late in the 4th quarter, when Philly was giving up the short passing game to shut down the big plays. Garbage yards at bestDifference between Westbrook and Onterrio, consistancy.

Onterrio is AWESOME against teams with weak run D's. He look HORRIBLE against team with average D's or better.

Does he have talent, yes. Does that mean he's will be a good NFL starter one day, hopefully.

Is he the second coming, NO!!!! Is he ready to carry the load for Minn, NOT YET AND NOT THIS YEAR!!!

That's the point I'm trying to make.
I understand the point you're trying to make, but not MANY people claim he's the second coming of anything. And I'm not comparing him to Westbrook, who is also very talented. Onterrio is going to be a very good NFL RB when given a full-time opportunity, but my problem is when people discount everything a guy does over a long period and use ONE game to justify saying he sucks. It's ridiculous.JOHN CLAYTON told JASON WOOD in the article that was on this site that the Vikings COACHING STAFF believes Onterrio Smith is the most talented RB they have, but concerns about his off-the-field problems have held him back a little. That's understandable, but to question his talent based on one game is beyond understanding to me.

For what it's worth if Jamal Lewis, Priest Holmes or Ahman Green all looked that bad against a poor run defense, I'd be critical of their performance as well. Here's the bottom line: Onterrio Smith is a backup at this point in time in his career. I'm a Smith owner, but I'm not blinding myself to this reality. And last night, we saw the reasons why he is still only a backup. At some point perhaps he'll prove to be a starting RB in this league (personally I think he has the talent to do so), but I was very unimpressed with the way he ran the ball. Forget the fantasy implications and look at this from a talent evaluation perspective. He looked unsure of himself; he was tentative; he didn't explode through the hole. Those were things Brian Westbrook did. Does this one game mean Onterrio Smith is never going to be a good NFL running back. Of course not and I'm certainly not saying that. But to pretend as if it wasn't disappointing is, in my opinion, burying your head in the sand. Sure he could've used more carries, but it's entirely possible he didn't get them because he did so little with the ones he was given. The Vikings did a poor job of playcalling, no doubt about it, but it's not as if Smith was filling them with enormous confidence when it came to running the football last night.

But to pretend as if it wasn't disappointing is, in my opinion, burying your head in the sand.
I don't look at it as especially disappointing. When a guy shows so much promise over that long and has one down game that happens to be seen by everyone on Monday Night Football, I'll look at it for what it was... a bad game.If this was a 20-25 carry performance at 3 yards per carry, I'd be more disappointed, but still not overreacting like some seem to be. As it was, a 10 carry game isn't something I'm really going to put much stock into it.IT WAS HIS THIRD NFL START, and he didn't even get a huge workload. He looked over-anxious and didn't run with the patience of vision all of the reports on him for the past year have talked about. So, take this game for whatever you want.

But to pretend as if it wasn't disappointing is, in my opinion, burying your head in the sand.
I don't look at it as especially disappointing.
It was disappointing if you were expecting more than 28 yards against a run defense that has been getting chewed up by just about every RB it has faced lately. Even Ron Dayne got them for a TD last week and nobody here is confusing Dayne for Smith or the Giants' line for Minnesota's. This is a guy who has averaged 5 YPC so far in his career. So even with only 10 carries, it wasn't asking too much to expect more than 28 yards -- not to mention a mere 2 yards on 7 of his carries. The guy didn't look good. It was a disappointing performance. Is it a sign he's a loser and he sucks and he'll never amount to anything? Of course not. But it was a poor performance by a guy a lot of folks -- including the Vikings coaches as has been pointed out repeatedly now -- are very high on.

For what it's worth if Jamal Lewis, Priest Holmes or Ahman Green all looked that bad against a poor run defense, I'd be critical of their performance as well. Here's the bottom line: Onterrio Smith is a backup at this point in time in his career. I'm a Smith owner, but I'm not blinding myself to this reality. And last night, we saw the reasons why he is still only a backup. At some point perhaps he'll prove to be a starting RB in this league (personally I think he has the talent to do so), but I was very unimpressed with the way he ran the ball. Forget the fantasy implications and look at this from a talent evaluation perspective. He looked unsure of himself; he was tentative; he didn't explode through the hole. Those were things Brian Westbrook did. Does this one game mean Onterrio Smith is never going to be a good NFL running back. Of course not and I'm certainly not saying that. But to pretend as if it wasn't disappointing is, in my opinion, burying your head in the sand. Sure he could've used more carries, but it's entirely possible he didn't get them because he did so little with the ones he was given. The Vikings did a poor job of playcalling, no doubt about it, but it's not as if Smith was filling them with enormous confidence when it came to running the football last night.
I agree with most of what you said. And you being a Packers fan, and I an Ahman Green owner should probably know first hand.How many times have I saw Ahman in his career go into halftime 8 carries for 30 yds? The difference is that a lot of the time Ahman continually is fed the ball and then "BAM" a 60 yd TD run.A RB needs to get into a rhythm. He needs to get into a flow. Due to the lack of running plays by the Vikes - Smith could never get into a rhythm.An I am not saying Smith is this "stellar" RB either. He does need to go through growing pains - but in this case, I believe the most of the blame should be put on the Vikings playcalling. It's not like they were 5 TD's down. There was absolutely NO REASON they had to stop running the ball.

Absolutely. The Vikings' coaches did a horrible job in a number of areas. No doubt about it. But I've never been a big fan of Tice as a head coach. He strikes me as being overmatched at times and he was definitely overmatched by Reid last night. I was shocked the Vikings didn't give Smith some carries in the second half given how close the game was for most of the time. But again, it's not as if he was filling them with enormous confidence when he did carry the ball. He looked bad on the majority of his carries. Was it a poorly coached game by Mike Tice? Absolutely. But it was also a poorly run game by Onterrio Smith. In my opinion.

Absolutely. The Vikings' coaches did a horrible job in a number of areas. No doubt about it. But I've never been a big fan of Tice as a head coach. He strikes me as being overmatched at times and he was definitely overmatched by Reid last night. I was shocked the Vikings didn't give Smith some carries in the second half given how close the game was for most of the time. But again, it's not as if he was filling them with enormous confidence when he did carry the ball. He looked bad on the majority of his carries. Was it a poorly coached game by Mike Tice? Absolutely. But it was also a poorly run game by Onterrio Smith. In my opinion.
I agree with pretty much all of what Colt of Personality said.I was MUCH more disappointed with the fact that he only got 10 carries than the fact that he got 28 yards on them. 10 carries for 28 yards happen all the time, but he wasn't given the opportunity to get into a rhythm to end up with good numbers of his NEXT 10-15 carries.I'd said - more than once - that he didn't run like every report on him for the past year says he does. There are reasons for that. But my problem is with the people who were questioning his talent based on what they saw last night.

I agree with pretty much all of what Colt of Personality said.I was MUCH more disappointed with the fact that he only got 10 carries than the fact that he got 28 yards on them. 10 carries for 28 yards happen all the time, but he wasn't given the opportunity to get into a rhythm to end up with good numbers of his NEXT 10-15 carries.I'd said - more than once - that he didn't run like every report on him for the past year says he does. There are reasons for that. But my problem is with the people who were questioning his talent based on what they saw last night.
That's fine, but just so we're clear, that isn't what I'm doing. I still think this kid is talented, but as I've said many times I've seen nothing from him that indicates he and not Michael Bennett should be the Vikings' starting RB. And that point was driven home emphatically last night.

Man, I can't believe the # of moronic posts. When Smith got blocking, he made several good runs. Funny how people complain about hesitation to the hole, when several times I saw him wait for blockers and cut back to the hole. Isn't that called "vision"? He had several carries for losses, and stuffed at the goal line twice, which made his YPC low, on only 10 carries. The holes were not there, gentlemen. The kid has talent. But go ahead and trade him now for garbage. Can't wait to see the look on your face when he goes off for 150 and 2 TD's in week 14 against you.

Onterrio Knows Football. He MUST be high! ;)

Smith's show is a no-BoBY SEAN JENSENPioneer PressPHILADELPHIA — Three days before his "Monday Night Football" debut, Vikings running back Onterrio Smith made a quiet boast of his expectations.At first, as he left Winter Park, Smith wouldn't reveal his goals. But as he walked away, Smith said, "I'll give you a hint: Bo Jackson on Monday Night."Smith was alluding to Jackson's performance for the Los Angeles Raiders on Nov. 30, 1987, when he ran for 221 yards in a 37-14 victory over the Seattle Seahawks.Smith didn't come close to that figure Monday Night in a 27-16 loss to the Eagles, rushing 10 times for 28 yards."It was frustrating to make guys miss and then get tackled from behind," Smith said. "That was real frustrating."Smith had a solid performance in the season-opener, when he ran for 76 yards and scored on a 63-yard touchdown catch. But Smith struggled against the Eagles.He was solid in the first quarter, with two carries for 11 yards as the Vikings took a 3-0 lead on a 42-yard Morten Andersen field goal. But Smith struggled thereafter. By halftime, he had a pedestrian nine carries for 20 yards, and two catches for 14 yards.With veteran Moe Williams inactive with an ankle injury, Smith struggled in short-yardage situations. Early in the second quarter, Smith got consecutive carries from the Eagles' 2-yard line. But he was unable to get a single yard, and the Vikings settled for the field goal.He also fumbled the ball later in the quarter, but he was fortunate because the Vikings recovered.By the second half, Smith was relegated to short dump passes and had only one carry. The Vikings also gave rookie Mewelde Moore chances to make plays, but he, too, was ineffective."They were rotating defenses at the last second and (center) Matt (Birk) wasn't able to get the calls in because his head was already down," Smith said.Heading into the game, Smith had identified specific goals. But he wasn't able to exploit the Eagles' mistakes for long runs.Smith was contained throughout the game by the Eagles strong linebacker corps of Mark Simoneau, Nate Wayne and Dhani Jones."I should be able to make the first guy miss, so I take it upon myself," Smith said. "They made some good tackles. They get paid, too."With starter Michael Bennett sidelined with a knee injury, the Vikings have felt fortunate that Smith was available, especially with a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy looming.His status for next week's game against Chicago is unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread