What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (7 Viewers)

It mimics GLP-1, a hormone which suppresses appetite in the brain and alters insulin + glucagon (a hormone opposing insulin) secretion in the pancreas.

Is it your opinion that for majority of people, they can the same benefit with diet and exercise?
Mechanistically, no. Overweight and obese people have altered secretion of GLP-1 and its analogues, which doesn’t reverse with proper diet and/or exercise, to my knowledge.

And the degree of weight loss following lifestyle modification typically is only 5-7%. But in practice, the vast majority can’t maintain diet or exercise programs, with 90%+ regaining any lost weight within 2 years.

It’s not hopeless, but fighting obesity is an uphill battle.

Also to add, any weight loss challenge contest should have a "drug free" component. I'll donate a subscription to that.

Zero interest in rewarding the $1,300 a month angle.
Interesting thought. But what if the drug becomes more affordable? Are you philosophically against what amounts to using a PED for weight loss, or just the idea that wealthier people will have an advantage? Realize those same people have money to afford healthier food, exercise equipment, nutritionists and personal trainers, too.

I’ve changed my opinion of obesity over the years, to believe it’s an actual disease with physiologic basis, rather than failure of discipline/impulse control. Sure, dietary and activity choices play a big role in the disease’s progression, but genetics are ultimately more important. If one accepts that premise, pharmacologic and/or surgical treatment shouldn’t be viewed as “cheating”, rather adjuncts to lifestyle modification.

Now I know you didn’t say any of that in the quoted text, but I get the idea weight loss drugs are not something you condone?

I dont really understand what the pill does. If you take the magic pill do you have to diet and/ or exercise to get the results? Or just keep eating everything you want and it changes how your body absorbs it? Is this like lap band surgery where you get physically uncomfortable from eating?

Anyone been prescribed semaglutide (Wegovy, if it's being used solely for weight loss)? It's a diabetes drug (Ozempic or Rybelsus) that's been rebranded for weight loss. It can be prescribed to anyone with BMI >30, or 27 if you have an obesity-associated comorbidity, like high blood pressure.
No but I'm curious about your thoughts on it. I'm always leery of weight loss drugs but doubly so of drugs that were supposed to do one thing but turn out to actually also help with losing weight...
In general, I prefer lifestyle changes over drugs or surgery. But realistically, most people will fail at the former, so at some point harm reduction becomes a priority. If that’s the case, I’d pick a weekly shot over the knife.

So far, Wegovy looks great. Initial trials showed 6-12% body weight loss, with many people losing 15-20%. That’s way better performance than traditional diet drugs, and side effects appear manageable (mostly nausea and GI symptoms).

While I don‘t like rebranded meds either, the drug’s other benefits often apply to obese individuals, namely decreased cardiovascular risk and glycemic control. If I had high blood pressure, cholesterol, and especially diabetes, I‘d strongly consider it.

The issue is paying for it. Most insurers don’t cover Wegovy currently (because they always lag behind the science), and it costs ~$1300/month out-of-pocket. Of course that is way pricier than the identical, slightly lower dose diabetes medicine Ozempic, which can be had for the price of a co-pay. It‘s only a matter of time before a black market develops, where diabetics are “losing” Ozempic prescriptions to resell the drug on the streets. And I’ve already heard about clinic personnel begging doctors to give away their samples. There’s also an oral equivalent, Rybelsus, but it hasn’t been studied explicitly for weight
Anyone been prescribed semaglutide (Wegovy, if it's being used solely for weight loss)? It's a diabetes drug (Ozempic or Rybelsus) that's been rebranded for weight loss. It can be prescribed to anyone with BMI >30, or 27 if you have an obesity-associated comorbidity, like high blood pressure.
No but I'm curious about your thoughts on it. I'm always leery of weight loss drugs but doubly so of drugs that were supposed to do one thing but turn out to actually also help with losing weight...
In general, I prefer lifestyle changes over drugs or surgery. But realistically, most people will fail at the former, so at some point harm reduction becomes a priority. If that’s the case, I’d pick a weekly shot over the knife.

So far, Wegovy looks great. Initial trials showed 6-12% body weight loss, with many people losing 15-20%. That’s way better performance than traditional diet drugs, and side effects appear manageable (mostly nausea and GI symptoms).

While I don‘t like rebranded meds either, the drug’s other benefits often apply to obese individuals, namely decreased cardiovascular risk and glycemic control. If I had high blood pressure, cholesterol, and especially diabetes, I‘d strongly consider it.

The issue is paying for it. Most insurers don’t cover Wegovy currently (because they always lag behind the science), and it costs ~$1300/month out-of-pocket. Of course that is way pricier than the identical, slightly lower dose diabetes medicine Ozempic, which can be had for the price of a co-pay. It‘s only a matter of time before a black market develops, where diabetics are “losing” Ozempic prescriptions to resell the drug on the streets. And I’ve already heard about clinic personnel begging doctors to give away their samples. There’s also an oral equivalent, Rybelsus, but it hasn’t been studied explicitly for weight loss.
yea…no. This is not the answer.

I'm on dulaglutide (Trulicity), an injectable that's similar enough to take me out of any contest. Also, metformin and dapagliflozin (Farxiga).

And yes, this is going to be the answer for a lot of people, particularly in oral form. There is a vast sea of pre-diabetic boomers out there, and their doctors will happily prescribe a pill for weight loss with a glycemic-control kicker.

I dont really understand what the pill does. If you take the magic pill do you have to diet and/ or exercise to get the results? Or just keep eating everything you want and it changes how your body absorbs it? Is this like lap band surgery where you get physically uncomfortable from eating?
All of these drugs (Metformin, Trulicity, etc) act by increasing the insulin sensitivity in your cells. Which regulates blood sugar spikes that are often at the heart of disordered eating. I guess Trulicity and Ozempic also have the hormone altering GLP-1 effect. I'm not sure if Metformin does that, but on Metformin, I just feel "full" more often. Much like how people new to low-carb diets report their appetite diminishes.

Metformin, at least, does often cause some gastro-intestinal side effects when you first start it (when you're sliding into third ...). But that tends to go away.

In any case, I don't really understand the hand-wringing. Obese people generally don't have properly functioning metabolisms. That doesn't mean they don't burn enough calories or anything like that. It means that their appetite control is disordered because of metabolic imbalances.

In. 312.6 morning of 1/1/23.

Cardiologist wants me doing 2.5 hrs/wk of moderately strenuous exercise.
Easy Peasay. Get it!
This is not much time when you break it down and should be able to be completed without much trouble. 30 minutes of exercise 5 days every week should be a priority in all of our lives. Unfortunately, life does get in the way and makes it harder than it should be. Make a plan and stick to it. Good luck.

Easy Peasay. Get it!
This is not much time when you break it down and should be able to be completed without much trouble. 30 minutes of exercise 5 days every week should be a priority in all of our lives. Unfortunately, life does get in the way and makes it harder than it should be. Make a plan and stick to it. Good luck.
True. Started with 30 minutes tge 1st and 2nd. Plan is to ramp up to 45, then 60. It’s not tough it just takes persistence. Once I get into the routine it becomes easier. In the past, once the routine is established, I look forward to it and get bothered when I can’t get it done. The issue lies when life happens and breaks up the routine. Always seem tough to get going again.

Also monitoring my BP and Blood Sugar daily. Blood sugars had been trending better, except for the past couple of days. Yesterday was an anomaly and was 155. Can’t point to anything specific. Maybe took it too close to finishing my coffee (no seeetener, just sugar free nondairy creamer). Today was a little better at 139. Have to keep an eye on the trend. Average is 125 since 12/8.

Since getting out of the hospital (foot/toe surgery and infection that had me in atrial flutter) and with a new Rx regime, BPs has been pretty good with a slight lowering trend. Ave since 12/7 is 132/63.

Consistent exercise should help both BP and Blood sugars. I’m a work in progress for sure.

All weight loss meds are supposed to be used in concert with diet and exercise, but this shot promotes losing weight a few ways. Most importantly, it suppresses appetite centers in the brain, by mimicking the natural hormone GLP-1. It also slows stomach emptying and promotes production of insulin, which itself enhances satiety.

It doesn’t directly change the mechanism of glucose absorption, nor make you uncomfortable by limiting the stomach’s volume. But nausea and other mild gastrointestinal side effects are common.

So even if you tried to eat “everything”, you’d feel full more quickly, and ultimately lose weight by eating less.

The issue is paying for it. Most insurers don’t cover Wegovy currently (because they always lag behind the science), and it costs ~$1300/month out-of-pocket. Of course that is way pricier than the identical, slightly lower dose diabetes medicine Ozempic, which can be had for the price of a co-pay. It‘s only a matter of time before a black market develops, where diabetics are “losing” Ozempic prescriptions to resell the drug on the streets. And I’ve already heard about clinic personnel begging doctors to give away their samples. There’s also an oral equivalent, Rybelsus, but it hasn’t been studied explicitly for weight

The issue is paying for it. Most insurers don’t cover Wegovy currently (because they always lag behind the science), and it costs ~$1300/month out-of-pocket. Of course that is way pricier than the identical, slightly lower dose diabetes medicine Ozempic, which can be had for the price of a co-pay. It‘s only a matter of time before a black market develops, where diabetics are “losing” Ozempic prescriptions to resell the drug on the streets. And I’ve already heard about clinic personnel begging doctors to give away their samples. There’s also an oral equivalent, Rybelsus, but it hasn’t been studied explicitly for weight loss.
yea…no. This is not the answer.
Why not?

It’s not a first-line intervention, but something to be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise (which unfortunately fail most of the time). I’d certainly consider it way before surgery.

Why is this any different than taking medication for other diseases of metabolism, like diabetes?

All weight loss meds are supposed to be used in concert with diet and exercise, but this shot promotes losing weight a few ways. Most importantly, it suppresses appetite centers in the brain, by mimicking the natural hormone GLP-1. It also slows stomach emptying and promotes production of insulin, which itself enhances satiety.

It doesn’t directly change the mechanism of glucose absorption, nor make you uncomfortable by limiting the stomach’s volume. But nausea and other mild gastrointestinal side effects are common.

So even if you tried to eat “everything”, you’d feel full more quickly, and ultimately lose weight by eating less.

Any concerns in your perspective on long-term issues that may arise from taking this? Also, my understanding is you pretty much have to stay on these for the long-term - is that correct?

Any concerns in your perspective on long-term issues that may arise from taking this? Also, my understanding is you pretty much have to stay on these for the long-term - is that correct?
While Wegovy is the most promising drug approved for weight loss in years (ever?), this class of medications has been around for a while - the first GLP-1 agonist for diabetes was FDA approved in 2005. In general, they are well tolerated with few side effects, including long-term toxicities.

To be clear, no medication is without potential downside, but uncontrolled obesity is a lot worse IMO. As behavioral modifications alone rarely reign it in, I’d happily choose a long-term med over the risks of bariatric surgery, or another fad diet. And it doesn’t hurt the med also treats ailments associated with obesity, namely diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

I know some people are philosophically opposed to taking medications for weight loss, as they believe obesity is more of a moral failure than disease process. I also remember fen/phen, which was around decades before its toxicity was fully recognized. Nonetheless, I think the risk:benefit of this class of medications warrants strong consideration to treat obesity, after diet and exercise fail.

Easy Peasay. Get it!
True. Started with 30 minutes tge 1st and 2nd. Plan is to ramp up to 45, then 60. It’s not tough it just takes persistence. Once I get into the routine it becomes easier. In the past, once the routine is established, I look forward to it and get bothered when I can’t get it done. The issue lies when life happens and breaks up the routine. Always seem tough to get going again.

Also monitoring my BP and Blood Sugar daily. Blood sugars had been trending better, except for the past couple of days. Yesterday was an anomaly and was 155. Can’t point to anything specific. Maybe took it too close to finishing my coffee (no seeetener, just sugar free nondairy creamer). Today was a little better at 139. Have to keep an eye on the trend. Average is 125 since 12/8.

Since getting out of the hospital (foot/toe surgery and infection that had me in atrial flutter) and with a new Rx regime, BPs has been pretty good with a slight lowering trend. Ave since 12/7 is 132/63.

Consistent exercise should help both BP and Blood sugars. I’m a work in progress for sure.
You have a good plan. We can do this.

Interesting thought. But what if the drug becomes more affordable? Are you philosophically against what amounts to using a PED for weight loss, or just the idea that wealthier people will have an advantage? Realize those same people have money to afford healthier food, exercise equipment, nutritionists and personal trainers, too.

I’ve changed my opinion of obesity over the years, to believe it’s an actual disease with physiologic basis, rather than failure of discipline/impulse control. Sure, dietary and activity choices play a big role in the disease’s progression, but genetics are ultimately more important. If one accepts that premise, pharmacologic and/or surgical treatment shouldn’t be viewed as “cheating”, rather adjuncts to lifestyle modification.

Now I know you didn’t say any of that in the quoted text, but I get the idea weight loss drugs are not something you condone?

Mainly it's the "Rich guy that can afford $1,300 a month for a magic pill drug" shouldn't have the advantage.

I get it you can make the case "Rich guy that can afford the personal trainer shouldn't have the advantage" but that feels less over the line.

You don't have to spend an extra $1,300 a month to eat healthier. You can exercise without a personal trainer.

Mainly it's the "Rich guy that can afford $1,300 a month for a magic pill drug" shouldn't have the advantage.

I get it you can make the case "Rich guy that can afford the personal trainer shouldn't have the advantage" but that feels less over the line.

You don't have to spend an extra $1,300 a month to eat healthier. You can exercise without a personal trainer.
Where does having $7,000 worth of bikes put me? :oldunsure:

Didn't do a weigh in, but I started on the program the day after Christmas. Between a Vegas weekend in December with way too much red meat and booze then the holidays I just felt like crap. Bloated, etc. Been on the lean protein, salads, no added sugar, no white flour or starches etc bandwagon. Also doing a bunch of cardio. Gold's yesterday, Peleton today. Walking with my dog too when it's not pouring rain out here. I have a Cabo vacation coming up in a week but will try to make more good choices than not there. Then it's religious. Don't like feeling bloated/puffy. And want my clothes to fit better too. Probably need to drop 15 or 20. Let's go.

Didn't do a weigh in, but I started on the program the day after Christmas. Between a Vegas weekend in December with way too much red meat and booze then the holidays I just felt like crap. Bloated, etc. Been on the lean protein, salads, no added sugar, no white flour or starches etc bandwagon. Also doing a bunch of cardio. Gold's yesterday, Peleton today. Walking with my dog too when it's not pouring rain out here. I have a Cabo vacation coming up in a week but will try to make more good choices than not there. Then it's religious. Don't like feeling bloated/puffy. And want my clothes to fit better too. Probably need to drop 15 or 20. Let's go.
We are doing this. It is all about good choices with diet and exercise.
Weigh in on 1/1/2023: 199.2

Official 2023 weigh in

230.8 barf..... heaviest ever

I'm all in. Tired feeling like a turd
1/9 228.4

I started slow with exercise and diet. 3 days of light exercise mostly my golf stretches and core workout with some walking.

Slowly changing diet as I'm hoping to make some permanent changes. I have the crash yoyo down perfectly lol

I expect a bigger drop this week and maybe next. Then settling in

312.6 on 1/8/23. Even for the week. Experienced my seemingly normal fluctuation of +/- 2#. Went up but end even for the week.

Got my 2.5 hrs of moderately strenuous exercise in (5 days at 30 min). 2 for 2 this week. Getting to a routine.

Both blood pressure and blood sugar were good. Both trending down slowly.

Getting there slowly.

My BIL was on the heavy side, and talked his Dr into preforming bariatric surgery on him, claiming obesity and diabetes run in his family

Guy went from 210 to 160 seemingly overnight.

IMO he cheated because he didn't want to do the work

Not sure how much it $$$ cost him, but I know he can no longer sit down and enjoy a full meal.

My BIL was on the heavy side, and talked his Dr into preforming bariatric surgery on him, claiming obesity and diabetes run in his family

Not sure how much it $$$ cost him, but I know he can no longer sit down and enjoy a full meal.

He did the surgery at 210?? I’m shocked any doctor would be willing to do that. Also, your BIL sounds like a moron.

Back up to 220.4. Started a competition from my other msg board, so that’ll come down.

Also haven’t pooped in a few days, so they might as well give up now.

He did the surgery at 210?? I’m shocked any doctor would be willing to do that. Also, your BIL sounds like a moron.
Depends how tall he is.

Depends how tall he is.
EDIT::: I confused bariaric and lap band. Lap band recommends >40

Last edited:

210??

Uh, I'd happily be at that weight...

Depends how tall he is.
5'8ish

it's still cheating

Depends how tall he is.
5'8ish

it's still cheating
Meh. It shouldn’t be first line, but if earnest attempts at lifestyle modification fail, I wouldn’t consider it ”cheating”. Traditional guidelines recommended bariatric procedures only for BMI > 35 with serious obesity-related comorbidities, like diabetes or high blood pressure. More contemporary data show obese people at lower BMIs, like your brother at ~32, may benefit even more.

Methods: Patients with a BMI <35 kg/m2 at the time of primary SG were identified between 2006 and 2018 (n = 1073, 2.4%). Patient characteristics, 30-day risk-adjusted complication rates, and patient reported outcomes were compared with all patients who underwent SG with a BMI ≥35 kg/m2 (n = 44,511, mean BMI 46.7 kg/m2).

Results: Low-BMI patients were more likely to be older (50.7 versus 45.4 yr, P < .0001), have diabetes (36.7 versus 30.9%, P < .0001), hypertension (54.2% versus 51.0%, P = .0372), and hyperlipidemia (57.1% versus 44.8%, P < .0001). Both groups had comparable rates of discontinuation of medications for hypertension (59.7% versus 54.1%, P = .0570), hyperlipidemia (54.3% versus 52.2%, P = .5537), and diabetes (oral, 79.2% versus 78.1%, P = .7294; insulin, 64.2% versus 62.2%, P = .7438). However, low-BMI patients were more likely to achieve a healthy BMI (i.e., BMI ≤25 kg/m2; 36.3% versus 6.01%, P < .0001), and had higher body image scores (50.6 versus 42.4, P < .0001).

Conclusions: Despite being older and with higher rates of metabolic disease, low-BMI patients reported high-resolution rates for diabetes, hypertension, and hyperlipidemia (>50%) and were more likely to achieve a healthy weight after SG. Abolishing the BMI threshold for SG among patients with metabolic disease should be considered.

Starting my training regimen for my April mountain bike race. This time last year I was in the hospital, so in that sense I’m starting from a better place, but my conditioning is a far way off from where I was at the beginning of March last year. Hopefully I can get back to where I was despite still never feeling quite right post-Covid. I’ve cut out alcohol and will stick with it until I get my post-race beer. Also making an effort to get to bed earlier to eliminate late night munchies. I’m currently at 232lbs. When I weighed in at the hospital last year I was 238. Race day last year I was around 185-190. I’d like to get back to that weight range as I’m otherwise basically riding with an extra mountain bike strapped to my gut.

Training has officially commenced!

Pretty much thinking my next bike (not plural) will end up about that much. :lmao:

Starting my training regimen for my April mountain bike race. This time last year I was in the hospital, so in that sense I’m starting from a better place, but my conditioning is a far way off from where I was at the beginning of March last year. Hopefully I can get back to where I was despite still never feeling quite right post-Covid. I’ve cut out alcohol and will stick with it until I get my post-race beer. Also making an effort to get to bed earlier to eliminate late night munchies. I’m currently at 232lbs. When I weighed in at the hospital last year I was 238. Race day last year I was around 185-190. I’d like to get back to that weight range as I’m otherwise basically riding with an extra mountain bike strapped to my gut.

What race? I managed 80 miles last week, so my training is also officially underway, though I have no race to pin it to at present.

Pretty much thinking my next bike (not plural) will end up about that much. :lmao:

What race? I managed 80 miles last week, so my training is also officially underway, though I have no race to pin it to at present.
I’ve done the Sea Otter XC race the last two years down in Monterey, CA

Missed my weigh in yesterday but this morning I was down two pounds. I will officially update next Monday. Only 46 more to go

Last edited:
I managed 80 miles last week, so my training is also officially underway, though I have no race to pin it to at present.
My training goal last year was 75 miles per week. In reality I was doing between 75-125 each week. I did 25 miles two weeks ago, 45 last week, and am ramping up to the full 75+ this week. Knocked out 15 yesterday. I find getting a good chunk of miles in on a Monday always helps my motivation later in the week.

I managed 80 miles last week, so my training is also officially underway, though I have no race to pin it to at present.
My training goal last year was 75 miles per week. In reality I was doing between 75-125 each week. I did 25 miles two weeks ago, 45 last week, and am ramping up to the full 75+ this week. Knocked out 15 yesterday. I find getting a good chunk of miles in on a Monday always helps my motivation later in the week.
Tonight is a Sufferfest trainer ride. I'll sleep well tonight.

1581 calories
104g protein
21g fiber
4056mg sodium (need to cut this down but one thing at a time)

I'm trying to break bad eating habits that I've made with my kid - starting the day sharing a breakfast sandwich at dunkin and having a slice of pizza with him after school. The calories aren't bad but that's most of the sodium right there.

Users who are viewing this thread