What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Owen Daniels Tweet (1 Viewer)

Mark Wimer

Hey Sharks,

Update to the injury report today regarding Owen Daniels (TE, HOU), but significant enough to start a thread. Thanks to Jeff Tefertiller for the link:

knee feels great guys. Running routes at full speed...will pick up where I left off last year wk 1
MW

Decent hands and mildly athletic (by NFL standards). If you got him, good for you, but he's not somebody I'll pursue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Texans' FO interest in him is very low for the medium-to-long haul. His value is purely a result of his situation and I'm not a believer that his good situation will persist. He's the quintessential "just a guy."

bulger2holt said:
wasn't he leading all TE's ( PPR ) prior to injury ?
Yeah he was on pace to equal the production of Dallas Clark. So I think Daniels is more than "just a guy".

he was the 17th best TE in my league.......ahead of:

Shockey

dustin keller

ben watson

mar. lewis

scaife

scheffler

so considering he was injured half the year and still beat out some decent guys......pretty impressive (40 receptions in 8 games)

plus i had him before the injury and he alone was carrying my team

Last edited by a moderator:
Mister CIA said:
Decent hands and mildly athletic (by NFL standards). If you got him, good for you, but he's not somebody I'll pursue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Texans' FO interest in him is very low for the medium-to-long haul. His value is purely a result of his situation and I'm not a believer that his good situation will persist. He's the quintessential "just a guy."
This is a pretty ridiculous statement. You must have got burnt by owning him at one point and giving up too soon.

Daniels has been running since March. He should be back at full speed for minicamps. Also, even with the plethora of young tight ends in Houston, Daniels stated that the Texans his reps are working on a long term deal. The talks might heat up now that Daniels can show that he is healthy. Daniels is only signed through the 2010 season.

Here is the quote:

One day after discussing his rehab with HoustonTexans.com, Texans tight end Owen Daniels said that he hopes to remain with the team in a Wednesday afternoon appearance on “Jim Rome is Burning” on ESPN.

A restricted free agent, Daniels was tendered by the Texans in March but has yet to sign with the team. He is hoping to receive a long-term contract.

“They had some real positive talks between my agent and management at the combine,” Daniels said during a lengthy interview with Rome in Los Angeles. “They say they want to get something done. I’m assuming they’re going to have to wait ‘til I get (medically) cleared and can do everything, but I looked at the high tender that they put on me, the max tender, as a really positive thing. If they didn’t want me around, they could’ve tendered me at a lower amount. That’s saying that they want me around, they want me to be their guy, so I’m looking at it as positively as I can.

“I want to be in Houston. I love playing there, love the city, love playing for Coach (Gary) Kubiak. That’s where I want to be.”

Daniels, a 2008 Pro Bowler, is coming off of a season-ending injury to his right ACL. Rome asked him if he thinks he’ll have a long-term deal in place before the 2010 season.

“I hope so; I hope before the year starts,” Daniels said. “But I can totally understand if they have to wait ‘til I can play some games, preseason games, whatever it may be. I understand the business. I’m just trying to be as positive as possible with all of this.”

In February, ProFootballTalk.com reported that Daniels could skip training camp in the absence of a long-term deal. Daniels sat out OTAs last offseason because of a contract dispute.

He indicated to Rome that he wants no part of another holdout.

“I don’t want it to (come to that); I really don’t want it to,” he said. “It got a little messy last year. I’m not the type of guy that likes to sit out when everyone else is working, because I like to be around the guys. So any way to avoid that is what I want to do, but if things get ugly, you never know. Like I’ve said, I’ll never say never to holding out, but it’s definitely something that I don’t want to do or be a part of.”

At the end of his interview with Rome, Daniels expressed support for the new overtime format for postseason games that was passed yesterday at the NFL meetings in Florida.

“I like it,” Daniels said. “It’s a step forward. It’s better than college, it’s better than what we had previously. Both teams get a chance. It’s not a return, a nice run and then a long field goal. So it’s good to see that both teams get a chance to play.

“When you don’t get another chance to get out there and play, it’s kind of like… when a team has momentum at the end of the game, and say they kick the field goal to tie it up and then they get the ball first, you’re kind of left empty-handed there.”

I'll be more intrigued once I see what kind of contract he receives. If it's clear the Texans believe I'll be that much higher on him.

IIRC they have a young kid they were grooming to be his potential replacement.

Mister CIA said:
this can be debunked with one video. OD is more than just a guy. I was going to take your post apart, but it seems like you haven't seen him play much.

Mister CIA said:
this can be debunked with one video. OD is more than just a guy. I was going to take your post apart, but it seems like you haven't seen him play much.
I don't believe Owen Daniels is a top 12 TE (dynasty and redraft). Please, take my post apart.

Mister CIA said:
I don't believe Owen Daniels is a top 12 TE (dynasty and redraft). Please, take my post apart.
Nobody can take that apart as it's your opinion. If you care to explain your reasoning (if any), we can certainly tear that to shreds. :kicksrock:

I'll be more intrigued once I see what kind of contract he receives. If it's clear the Texans believe I'll be that much higher on him.IIRC they have a young kid they were grooming to be his potential replacement.
Dont they have 4 now in the end. The amount of TE's they have drafted in the last 2 years, make me think he is not the elite talent some do. Why spend so many picks on TE would be my biggest question.

I'll be more intrigued once I see what kind of contract he receives. If it's clear the Texans believe I'll be that much higher on him.IIRC they have a young kid they were grooming to be his potential replacement.
Dont they have 4 now in the end. The amount of TE's they have drafted in the last 2 years, make me think he is not the elite talent some do. Why spend so many picks on TE would be my biggest question.
The most absurd thing I've heard yet... Do you realize Houston placed a 1st and a 3rd tender on him? Just shows how much Houston values him.reason why Houston drafted a TE? possibly because he's a FA after this year and he'll probably be one of the most sought out TE's in the leaguelook at where Houston picked their TE's also - it's not like they spent a 1st on Gresham

Last edited by a moderator:
When I look at receivers, many times I look at targets and where targeted. Also look at chemistry between QB and receiver and if you look at Daniels with Schaub, you are going to be more then satisfied at the results. Daniels numbers are much higher when Schaub is throwing him the ball, so my thoughts on him are highest in Houston. If he does go elsewhere--I think he will have significant drop off to his numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread