What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ozark on Netflix (1 Viewer)

I think Marty lives, but Wendy and one or both of the kids die, and he has to live with that. 
This is what I'm rooting for, and the one thing that I think BrBa missed the mark on.  The entire series revolves around the slow descent of the main character from everyday family man to evil.  Walt should not have died at the end IMO, it should have ended with him at rock bottom, with the realization of everything and everyone that he'd lost.  No family, no friends, no Jesse, no $, no lab, just the complete destruction of every fabric of his life.    

This is what I'm rooting for, and the one thing that I think BrBa missed the mark on.  The entire series revolves around the slow descent of the main character from everyday family man to evil.  Walt should not have died at the end IMO, it should have ended with him at rock bottom, with the realization of everything and everyone that he'd lost.  No family, no friends, no Jesse, no $, no lab, just the complete destruction of every fabric of his life.    
I think they did show that on BB, when Walt was in NH. He had no family, no friends, couldn't do anything with his money, etc. He knew he was going to die from the cancer, and was ready to just turn himself in as he realized he had lost his family. 

The fact he decided to try and at least break Jesse out doesn't change the fact that he knew he had lost everything and wasn't going to survive, either at the hands of Jack and his crew or the cancer. 

I definitely think they let Ruth "win" but give her an actual happy ending -- Jesse Pinkman style.  Gets away clean with the money or something like that.

Wendy seems more likely to be burned at the stake.

Marty, flip a coin.

Julia Garner deserves all the awards too.  What a great character and a great performance.
I’ll sign up to give Ruth a happy ending 

As long they don't do something silly like install a remote control machine gun in the trunk of a car to kill a bunch of cartel members, I think they will come to a good ending. 

I think they did show that on BB, when Walt was in NH. He had no family, no friends, couldn't do anything with his money, etc. He knew he was going to die from the cancer, and was ready to just turn himself in as he realized he had lost his family. 

The fact he decided to try and at least break Jesse out doesn't change the fact that he knew he had lost everything and wasn't going to survive, either at the hands of Jack and his crew or the cancer. 

I have always thought that Walt's return from NH was about one thing.  His legacy.  At that point, nothing mattered to him other than securing his kids' futures and destroying the people that were assuming his place in the blue meth trade.  Getting Jesse out was part of his plans, but destroying Jack's crew was priority #1.  He wanted to make sure the blue meth died with him.

I have always thought that Walt's return from NH was about one thing.  His legacy.  At that point, nothing mattered to him other than securing his kids' futures and destroying the people that were assuming his place in the blue meth trade.  Getting Jesse out was part of his plans, but destroying Jack's crew was priority #1.  He wanted to make sure the blue meth died with him.
His initial motivation for returning to NH was to get back at Elliot and Gretchen, after seeing the way she discounted his contributions to Gray Matter on TV (remember that minutes earlier Walt had called and given his location away, meaning he was ready to give himself up), and I am sure on the way that big brain of his got the idea to force them into giving what money he had left to his son.

Taking out Jack and his crew was then the next part, but getting Jesse out was not.   He had no idea that Jesse was still with Jack's crew at all until he found out the blue was still being sold, and it was only then at Jack's compound, when he saw how Jesse looked and likely realized what they had put him through that Walt had a change of heart and decided to save him before hitting the button on his key fob to active the machine gun in the trunk.  Two minutes earlier, I am sure he would have been fine with hitting the button and killing Jesse along with the rest, but I think in that moment he realized Jesse had suffered enough and the the father figure mentality that he sometimes had in regards to Jesse took over. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree with this take.  I think he was happy to help his kid (a kid that he is proud of because he is doing the laundering and figured out his own programming).  I think he was happy to feel needed by him and that he still had some things to teach him and that Jonah came to him.  

Marty was more calculating who or how this could have happened and was obviously pissed when he realized it was Wendy that put Jonah in this situation.  I think that was the reason he appeared to "despise" Jonah.   It was really all about Wendy.  
Good call, I think there was a little bit of your take as well as a little bit of GG's take on the push/pull aspect on what to do. 

Take that to the offshore bank, broZarks. 

I finally gave this a chance and I see why it has been so popular. 

Jason Bateman is so underrated. This is obviously his baby (producer, director and actor) and he is knocking it out of the park. It is not my favorite show ever but it is very good and I am working my way through the series and enjoying it. 

it would be ok with me if he sacraficed wendy to save a bag of potato chips she is a pos take that to the bank brohans
I read an interview a couple weeks ago regarding Laura Linney trying to explain Wendy, and why she does what she does. There are no spoilers in it.

I've seen posts in here where people talk about their dislike for Wendy, and at the end of the interview Linney says, "You don’t have to like her. I wouldn’t like her (laughs.) I wouldn’t want to have dinner with her. But she has to be a character that helps to move the story and the narrative forward and keep the audience in the story instead of busting them out. People can hate the character all they want to as long as they enjoy the story." 

I read an interview a couple weeks ago regarding Laura Linney trying to explain Wendy, and why she does what she does. There are no spoilers in it.

I've seen posts in here where people talk about their dislike for Wendy, and at the end of the interview Linney says, "You don’t have to like her. I wouldn’t like her (laughs.) I wouldn’t want to have dinner with her. But she has to be a character that helps to move the story and the narrative forward and keep the audience in the story instead of busting them out. People can hate the character all they want to as long as they enjoy the story." 
I think any time you hate a character, it is a testament to the actor's talent ability to inhabit the character. The kid who played Joffrey on Game of Thrones is a prime example. I don't even know what his real name is, but if I saw him at the airport or a coffee shop, my first instinct would be to want to throat punch him. Because he was really good at his role.

I don't hate Wendy. I hate Darlene, though. Which is kinda weird because they're pretty much the same, just different wrappers. I actually admire Wendy's shrewd Macchiavellian instincts. She has been dead-on in her ability to read people and predict their reactions. She is wildly reactive, though, much like Linney described in the article. She is a good foil for Marty, who is the ultimate planner.

I also am oddly attracted to her- which I guess isn't unusual, Wilkes and Omar both had thing for her, too. But she has a certain smoldering sensuality about her that I find attractive, even though I wouldn't say she is "classically beautiful". I wonder if that is the sole reason I don't hate her, and if that makes me a really shallow person.

Yeah. I only really knew her from Ozark. I saw the Truman Show and Mystic River, but don't really remember her from those.

Looking at pics, I have to say Laura Linney is a classically beautiful Hollywood actress. But, in Ozark they never play her up as typically glamorous or hot. She always looks a little matronly or MILF-y. Hence, the "oddly". Plus, everything is shot so darkly and hyper-real that You see all the lines on her face, and every detail- they don;t cover anything up with make-up.

I never even realized it until just now, but there's not a single female character on Ozark that is played up as "sexy" or where they emphasize their sex appeal. There are a ton of really awesome, complex female characters on the show. One of those rare instances when the female characters are equal, if not better, than the male characters.

I also am oddly attracted to her- which I guess isn't unusual, Wilkes and Omar both had thing for her, too. But she has a certain smoldering sensuality about her that I find attractive, even though I wouldn't say she is "classically beautiful". I wonder if that is the sole reason I don't hate her, and if that makes me a really shallow person.
brohan come on no one finds darlene attractive that is cray take that to the bank 

But there’s no Walt, no Gus, no Saul. Not even a Jesse.  Marty can’t make up for that.  
No Mike.
The Breaking Bad/Ozark comparison.

BB didn't have the most interesting characters until late in season two.  Even Jesse wasn't fully developed until the 'incident' with Jane when Aaron Paul broke out as an actor IMHO.

I've recommended BB to a couple of people, and they said the same thing, its sloooow.  I went back and the first season and a half begin at a glacial pace.  Late in season two when Saul and Gus and Mike enter the cast and the storyline is fleshed out then the pace is super charged.  I've told them to make it to the end of the 2nd season.

Ozark starts out with a bang and has multiple story lines and characters going every episode.  The backdrops are unique characters unto themselves with the stark desert of the Southwest contrasted to the ever-present lakeshore of the Ozarks.  Ozark sucked me in from the first show.  The writing is fantastic but so is/was the writing for BB but the pace is different.

BB is a much longer series every season had more episodes, so each episode had a lot of time which is good in one way but how many times do you want to hear Skyler nag Walt.  It definitely dragged in parts, and it had the single worst episode with The Fly that was plain stupid but if you stepped back the entire series was great.  

It's too easy to nitpick or take shots at a single character or episode/plot point when both series are really good.  

I don't see Ozark ending on the same note of BB that had a wild west shootout vibe where everything converged.  I'm real curious to see how they reconcile all of the loose threads.

It is a running theme in Laura Linney's career of playing characters who have a brother with psychological issues.

Ozark

The Big C

You Can Count On Me

Love Actually

The Savages

All the brothers have some sort of issue that impedes on the life of Linney's character. I know nothing of her personal life, whether she is basing these choices on something she draws on internally, or if it is simply coincidence. 

brohan come on no one finds darlene attractive that is cray take that to the bank 
Wasn’t he talking about Wendy?

Speaking of Darlene though - I was watching an old Law and Order and there was a woman who played an activist.  Took me half a second to realize it was the actress that plays Darlene.  She wasn’t that great looking back in the day either.  Not ugly - just kind of plain.

The Breaking Bad/Ozark comparison.

BB didn't have the most interesting characters until late in season two.  Even Jesse wasn't fully developed until the 'incident' with Jane when Aaron Paul broke out as an actor IMHO.

I've recommended BB to a couple of people, and they said the same thing, its sloooow.  I went back and the first season and a half begin at a glacial pace.  Late in season two when Saul and Gus and Mike enter the cast and the storyline is fleshed out then the pace is super charged.  I've told them to make it to the end of the 2nd season.

Ozark starts out with a bang and has multiple story lines and characters going every episode.  The backdrops are unique characters unto themselves with the stark desert of the Southwest contrasted to the ever-present lakeshore of the Ozarks.  Ozark sucked me in from the first show.  The writing is fantastic but so is/was the writing for BB but the pace is different.

BB is a much longer series every season had more episodes, so each episode had a lot of time which is good in one way but how many times do you want to hear Skyler nag Walt.  It definitely dragged in parts, and it had the single worst episode with The Fly that was plain stupid but if you stepped back the entire series was great.  

It's too easy to nitpick or take shots at a single character or episode/plot point when both series are really good.  

I don't see Ozark ending on the same note of BB that had a wild west shootout vibe where everything converged.  I'm real curious to see how they reconcile all of the loose threads.
I've heard that from others as well, but never agreed.  I thought Breaking Bad was always moving a fast pace.  It seemed like every episode did a great job at moving the storyline ahead a lot, the exception being The Fly (which is great when you go back and watch it, but the first time through is a bit of a wtf since it brings the storyline screeching to a half for that one episode). 

I've heard that from others as well, but never agreed.  I thought Breaking Bad was always moving a fast pace.  It seemed like every episode did a great job at moving the storyline ahead a lot, the exception being The Fly (which is great when you go back and watch it, but the first time through is a bit of a wtf since it brings the storyline screeching to a half for that one episode). 
The biggest difference between the two-families reacting to drug involvement in watching is that one family is actively participating while we agonize a painfully slow reveal in the other show and that is just not entertaining. 

Whenever Skyer entered it nearly always derailed the pace into an awkward argument.  Walt Junior being clueless got old. 

Ozark hit that issue head-on early, so we didn't have to suffer.

I've heard it described as a "slow burn" which doesn't necessarily mean slow paced. 

ProstheticRGK said:
Plus, everything is shot so darkly and hyper-real that You see all the lines on her (Laura Linney's) face, and every detail- they don't cover anything up with make-up.
Yep, this is very apparent and they probably do it on purpose with close ups to always bring it back to the point that they are not wanting any women to become "sexy" in viewers eyes.  They want them to have masculine energy so their character is always on par (as much as possible) to the power/energy of the male characters.

AAABatteries said:
Wasn’t he talking about Wendy?

Speaking of Darlene though - I was watching an old Law and Order and there was a woman who played an activist.  Took me half a second to realize it was the actress that plays Darlene.  She wasn’t that great looking back in the day either.  Not ugly - just kind of plain.
I was watching The Sinner (Season 2) this week and Darlene and Russ Langmore were both in the same episode (I think it was episode 2 of season 2).  I haven't seen either of them anywhere else and then they both show up in the same episode.  Strange.  

I waited to get into this thread until we finished the season.  Enjoyed it. 

Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!

One thought: They re-introduced Wyatt's brother very late in the season.  They did this because Wyatt is marrying Darlene. They are both killed and leave no heirs so the whole farm/land/heroin operation now belongs to Wyatt's brother.  Guess who ends up running it. Ruth, of course. 

Still haven't figured out the PI's role.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question on this loose thread.

The son of Wendy's lover showed up previously asking questions because he didn't buy suicide.  

I don't recall if that ever got resolved or if he would still be searching for answers which 'could' explain who is behind the PI.
How would Sugarwood's son even know who Helen is and even moreso, how would he know she is missing?  I agree there is going to be some reveal with the PI, but I don't think the affair partner's son has anything to do with it. 

Longshot on this one, but I was thinking the PI might somehow be connected to Jim Rattlesdorf.  He needs info and dirt on everyone to maintain leverage in all his dealings with powerful people.  And by everyone, that includes Wendy.  He needs to keep the ability to play all sides to be effective at what he does while  protecting his own backside.

Longshot on this one, but I was thinking the PI might somehow be connected to Jim Rattlesdorf.  He needs info and dirt on everyone to maintain leverage in all his dealings with powerful people.  And by everyone, that includes Wendy.  He needs to keep the ability to play all sides to be effective at what he does while  protecting his own backside.
That’s a good call. This PI is way more relentless and thorough than a run-of-the-mill, yokel ex-cop. He seems like a pretty savvy political operator.

Users who are viewing this thread