What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

P90X - Anyone try this? (1 Viewer)

Anyone looking for protein bars should check out the Clif Builder's bar. The chocolate mint is fantastic.

Chest, shoulders, tri & ab ripper demolished me today. Fighting a cold, but didn't feel too bad (sick wise). How much that affected me? No clue. But I was absolutely wasted at the end and could barely hold my 1yr old up after I was done.

I had to drop to my knees for the one arm pushups and still could only manage 4 before eating carpet. :)

I just noticed I had downloaded a torrent a while back that was p90x. I just started a heavy lifting routine that uses many of the same principles but may want to try this out one day. What is the difference between p90, p90m, p90x+???

Did the fitness test last night. I passed (some barely) everything except the pullups. 0 pullups. Looks like chair assist for me! I also cheated the curls by doing 15 lbs instead of 20. I misunderestimated myself and figured I'd have no chance at 10 reps of 20 lbs, but ended up doing 20+ of 15 lbs, so probably could have managed the 20s.

Had my wife take the before pictures. I will NOT be sharing them. The from-the-back pose is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Just that photo, with it's acres of backfat, will be huge motivation.

I'm 5'10, 185, but have climbed steadily up from 165 over the past 10 years. I've never had much if any upper-body strength or definition (I've never had a pec OR and ab), but have always had great leg strength and aerobic stamina. Never really lifted for any amount of time, and in recent years have basically stopped even doing cardio. I'm really, really looking forward to attacking this program and feeling good about my body.

I don't really know what I "should" weigh, but for now I'm targeting maybe 170-175 and trim.

I'm trying to adhere to the diet too. It does seem like a tremendous amount of food, though.

Chest, shoulders, tri & ab ripper demolished me today. Fighting a cold, but didn't feel too bad (sick wise). How much that affected me? No clue. But I was absolutely wasted at the end and could barely hold my 1yr old up after I was done.I had to drop to my knees for the one arm pushups and still could only manage 4 before eating carpet. :lmao:
Was this your first chest, shoulder & tri? My first week was horrendous. Second week was better. Last night (third week) I felt like I crushed it.

Chest, shoulders, tri & ab ripper demolished me today. Fighting a cold, but didn't feel too bad (sick wise). How much that affected me? No clue. But I was absolutely wasted at the end and could barely hold my 1yr old up after I was done.I had to drop to my knees for the one arm pushups and still could only manage 4 before eating carpet. :goodposting:
Was this your first chest, shoulder & tri? My first week was horrendous. Second week was better. Last night (third week) I felt like I crushed it.
Yeah it was and I felt like I was starting from scratch all over again. Glad to know it wasn't just me. Although I am sure the cold had some factor into it.I was :goodposting: when I saw Tony going airborne on those plyo pushups.

Chest, shoulders, tri & ab ripper demolished me today. Fighting a cold, but didn't feel too bad (sick wise). How much that affected me? No clue. But I was absolutely wasted at the end and could barely hold my 1yr old up after I was done.I had to drop to my knees for the one arm pushups and still could only manage 4 before eating carpet. :goodposting:
Yeah it was and I felt like I was starting from scratch all over again. Glad to know it wasn't just me. Although I am sure the cold had some factor into it.I was :goodposting: when I saw Tony going airborne on those plyo pushups.
No kidding. Thats nothing short of amazing. I did the clappers and ended up on my face the first week.

I've read through most of this thread and haven't seen anything about coffee or alcohol. How do those work with the diet program?

I've cut down to 2 cups of coffee in the morning and I usually drink 2-3 beers or wine 3x/week. I can easily eliminate alcohol if necessary, but would prefer not to. Coffee I don't think I can get rid of.

I've read through most of this thread and haven't seen anything about coffee or alcohol. How do those work with the diet program?I've cut down to 2 cups of coffee in the morning and I usually drink 2-3 beers or wine 3x/week. I can easily eliminate alcohol if necessary, but would prefer not to. Coffee I don't think I can get rid of.
I still do both. Coffee in moderation (2 cups every morning), and beer in not so moderation :headbang: .

I've read through most of this thread and haven't seen anything about coffee or alcohol. How do those work with the diet program?I've cut down to 2 cups of coffee in the morning and I usually drink 2-3 beers or wine 3x/week. I can easily eliminate alcohol if necessary, but would prefer not to. Coffee I don't think I can get rid of.
I still do both. Coffee in moderation (2 cups every morning), and beer in not so moderation :goodposting: .
I'm drinking my morning coffee and haven't had any beer except for sharing a pitcher of ML at the bowling alley a few weeks ago. I used to drink a beer or 2 about 3x/week and don't really miss it as much as I thought I would. I still have the majority of a 12pack left in the fridge since I started this a month ago.I don't think coffee is a big deal at all. Zero calories (unless you load it up with sugar/cream) and is usually out of your system pretty quickly.

I heard that coffee is ok while on P90X...no cream or sugar though.Alcohol, of course, is a no-no. I, of course, still drink on the weekends.

Anyone looking for protein bars should check out the Clif Builder's bar. The chocolate mint is fantastic.
Good to know. I've been eating these. The Strawberry and Chocolate are actually pretty good.
Yeah, I bought the Pure Protein bars from Costco (variety pack with 3 flavors). The Chocolate Peanut Butter ones are my favorite, followed by the Chocolate Chip, and finally the Chocolate Deluxe.

Just did day one, chest and arms, plus AbX. It was totally ridiculous. I was struggling in the warmup. They were running off 30 pullups and I was managing 4, chair assisted. Same story with the pushups. By the end there were some - those down and ups(?) - where I couldn't do any without collapsing. I was barely managing 4 of some of the pushups, from my knees.

With the abs too I could keep up with the first two exercises and after that went quickly downhill. Some I couldn't do at all, including some that started out as basic sit-ups.

On the plus side, I'm psyched to have done day one and have it under my belt. I thought Tony was awesome and will keep me motivated. It was good to get technique reminders, "bring it reminders", etc. My chocolate protein shake tasted extra good, my left arm is buffer than it's ever been, and I feel numb and dazed like a good high.

Unfortunately due to an achilles tendinitis problem I've been advised that the plyometrics might be too much, so I may substitute the cardio-X tomorrow instead. Its a little disappointing as from reading all you guys' posts it sounds like the first day of plyometrics is the biggest beast of the whole program.

Just did day one, chest and arms, plus AbX. It was totally ridiculous. I was struggling in the warmup. They were running off 30 pullups and I was managing 4, chair assisted. Same story with the pushups. By the end there were some - those down and ups(?) - where I couldn't do any without collapsing. I was barely managing 4 of some of the pushups, from my knees.With the abs too I could keep up with the first two exercises and after that went quickly downhill. Some I couldn't do at all, including some that started out as basic sit-ups.On the plus side, I'm psyched to have done day one and have it under my belt. I thought Tony was awesome and will keep me motivated. It was good to get technique reminders, "bring it reminders", etc. My chocolate protein shake tasted extra good, my left arm is buffer than it's ever been, and I feel numb and dazed like a good high. Unfortunately due to an achilles tendinitis problem I've been advised that the plyometrics might be too much, so I may substitute the cardio-X tomorrow instead. Its a little disappointing as from reading all you guys' posts it sounds like the first day of plyometrics is the biggest beast of the whole program.
:goodposting: Nowhere to go but up from here. My first day was horrendous, and that was after I tried half of day 1 as a trial run a few days prior to that. The key is to just keep pluggin' away and don't stray. It's easy to get discouraged, but you just have to keep going at it and you'll see the gains eventually.Tony is a good motivator if you can get past his cheesiness. I still crack up when he jumps in to the last few seconds of the circle run (?) in plyo and looks like an 8yr old kid on crack (full with 'zoooooooom' noises and all). His energy is off the charts.If you have achilles issues, I'd stay away from plyo if the higher impact bothers it. There's quite a bit of jumping and twisting.

Just did day one, chest and arms, plus AbX. It was totally ridiculous. I was struggling in the warmup. They were running off 30 pullups and I was managing 4, chair assisted. Same story with the pushups. By the end there were some - those down and ups(?) - where I couldn't do any without collapsing. I was barely managing 4 of some of the pushups, from my knees.With the abs too I could keep up with the first two exercises and after that went quickly downhill. Some I couldn't do at all, including some that started out as basic sit-ups.On the plus side, I'm psyched to have done day one and have it under my belt. I thought Tony was awesome and will keep me motivated. It was good to get technique reminders, "bring it reminders", etc. My chocolate protein shake tasted extra good, my left arm is buffer than it's ever been, and I feel numb and dazed like a good high. Unfortunately due to an achilles tendinitis problem I've been advised that the plyometrics might be too much, so I may substitute the cardio-X tomorrow instead. Its a little disappointing as from reading all you guys' posts it sounds like the first day of plyometrics is the biggest beast of the whole program.
:goodposting: Nowhere to go but up from here. My first day was horrendous, and that was after I tried half of day 1 as a trial run a few days prior to that. The key is to just keep pluggin' away and don't stray. It's easy to get discouraged, but you just have to keep going at it and you'll see the gains eventually.Tony is a good motivator if you can get past his cheesiness. I still crack up when he jumps in to the last few seconds of the circle run (?) in plyo and looks like an 8yr old kid on crack (full with 'zoooooooom' noises and all). His energy is off the charts.If you have achilles issues, I'd stay away from plyo if the higher impact bothers it. There's quite a bit of jumping and twisting.
Thanks NedUm, my body hurts

Don't be afraid to jump back in as well. Just because you reach failure on a particular move doesn't mean your workout should be over. Take a minute off and see if you can come back. glll

Looking at the Portion Control method...how many grams of protein is in one protein portion? It says 1/3 cup of protein powder counts as one portion...but not all protein powders are the same. How many carb gram in one carb portion? How many fat grams in a fat portion? ETC?

TIA

Tony is definitely hitting Dreya
Not so sure about that. He spends more time touching the guys and commenting on their biceps and forms than he does with her.Although crouching frog or whatever it is, gives me naughty ideas about Dreya. :goodposting:

Looking at the Portion Control method...how many grams of protein is in one protein portion? It says 1/3 cup of protein powder counts as one portion...but not all protein powders are the same. How many carb gram in one carb portion? How many fat grams in a fat portion? ETC?TIA
I have the same confusion. If you have the book it answers some of the question by giving a list of examples (for instance, 3 oz of chicken breast = 1 portion)

Who is the German girl from Day 1?I like her :blackdot:
Loraine (was going to mention her as a woman I find oddly attractive).
:lol: nothing oddly about it, shes hot. im pissed, i was rolling along, doing great thru day 35 and had a grandmother fall ill. i was traveling back and forth (3 hours) for about a week. Have that past and i my home finally sales, which is awesome, but packing and having to be out by april 1 is tough. needless to say, i think i will take off some time. got a wife pregnant with our first due may 6. my guess is theres no point in trying to jump back into it before then. i think ill wait until she is ready to get on a workout plan and see if she'll do it with me. maybe towards mid or late summer. good luck to all.

Hi everyone. I just started week 3 yesterday and back to chest and arms. Your right it is totally redonkulus that first week. I remember thinking to myself as the girl was doing 21 one leg diamond push-ups and I barely got up for 1 that I clearly had made a tactical error. I used my knee's for almost all of them. I knew I was out of shape and pretty weak, but what a painful reminder.The Ab X nearly killed me, I thought I'd given myself a hernia.However, by the end of the first week, I was feeling not as sick at the end. Week two was better.Last night I was off the knee's and did pretty well, more importantly, the soreness is started to not be too bad.Plyo- I loved it - but I know everyone else hates it, but it was the one that I felt the most "in shape" for when I started. I'm lookng forward to seeing how I do with it tonight.

Thanks for the responses all.

Here's a pretty basic question - I hear on this board and others that "If you need a break, hit pause". Last night I never felt like I needed a break - I had just reached my limit of a given exercise. Like if they were doing 20 and I could only 4, I didn't pause the DVD, I just laid there for a while, maybe squeezing out one more while they finished up. But I didn't see the point in pausing. I could have paused on and off for 1/2 hour, I still wouldn't have gotten to 20.

Maybe that advice to take breaks if needed is more directed at the Cardio workouts, for if your heart is about to explode?

Crapped out on my workout tonight. Bi & Back, 1st set of pullups felt horrible I only got 3 (did 9 last week), and after 5 21's I was toast. So I just quit. I'll pick up tomorrow and use Sunday as my makeup day.

Not sure why. Could be a number of things. I ate like crap today - pizza for dinner. Worked out at a different time - I'm normally a workout as soon as I get home from work, but it was so nice out tonight. Took the dogs for a walk with the wife and (almost) 3 yo, ate pizza, played with the kid, then decided to workout. I'm going to have to figure out something to get me through this last half sence its going to be nice outside.

Uggggh.

GibbyGarcia said:
Hi everyone. I just started week 3 yesterday and back to chest and arms. Your right it is totally redonkulus that first week. I remember thinking to myself as the girl was doing 21 one leg diamond push-ups and I barely got up for 1 that I clearly had made a tactical error. I used my knee's for almost all of them. I knew I was out of shape and pretty weak, but what a painful reminder.The Ab X nearly killed me, I thought I'd given myself a hernia.However, by the end of the first week, I was feeling not as sick at the end. Week two was better.Last night I was off the knee's and did pretty well, more importantly, the soreness is started to not be too bad.Plyo- I loved it - but I know everyone else hates it, but it was the one that I felt the most "in shape" for when I started. I'm lookng forward to seeing how I do with it tonight.
Right there with ya on the Plyo. It's my favorite so far. I think it's because I have a running background so I was a little more prepared for the cardio. Not that it's easy for me or anything. :hophead:

Thanks for the responses all.Here's a pretty basic question - I hear on this board and others that "If you need a break, hit pause". Last night I never felt like I needed a break - I had just reached my limit of a given exercise. Like if they were doing 20 and I could only 4, I didn't pause the DVD, I just laid there for a while, maybe squeezing out one more while they finished up. But I didn't see the point in pausing. I could have paused on and off for 1/2 hour, I still wouldn't have gotten to 20. Maybe that advice to take breaks if needed is more directed at the Cardio workouts, for if your heart is about to explode?
You'll find times as things go on where you fall behind and are completely wasted and need to pause so you don't fall a full exercise behind.

Crapped out on my workout tonight. Bi & Back, 1st set of pullups felt horrible I only got 3 (did 9 last week), and after 5 21's I was toast. So I just quit. I'll pick up tomorrow and use Sunday as my makeup day.Not sure why. Could be a number of things. I ate like crap today - pizza for dinner. Worked out at a different time - I'm normally a workout as soon as I get home from work, but it was so nice out tonight. Took the dogs for a walk with the wife and (almost) 3 yo, ate pizza, played with the kid, then decided to workout. I'm going to have to figure out something to get me through this last half sence its going to be nice outside.Uggggh.
If you figure out the cure for a crappy workout, please pass it on. :hophead:I doubt the pizza had much effect, but it couldn't have helped (I've caved on pizza a few times too). Did you get a full night's sleep? I'm finding my sleep is more and more critical.

Had an awesome day on Back/Bi/Ab ripper. The pump you get from Back/Bi is insane. I thought my arms were going to explode during the strip set curls. I don't think 10lb dumbells could get any heavier then they did on that last set of 8. :hophead:

And I'm right there with everyone else on the corn cobs. :goodposting:

I started this last July, got about 6-7wks in and then lost focus. I was helping my bro-in-law fix up a house, so that ate up workout days. I tried to double-up some workouts, but that didn't work and I kept falling further behind, until I gave it up.

I started again this past Monday. OMFG! My body seems to have forgotten everything these past 6mos. I struggled through the Chest/Back, and then AbRip administered the coup-de-grace and I left my lunch in the toilet. :scared: Plyo was ok yesterday, and Shoulder/Arms was good today as well. I've thus far passed on AbRip today, what with running around to the store for St Pat's dinner fixin's and other errands. After Monday's debacle, I'd like to keep dinner down, tyvm (suck it Tony! I had TWO helpings of corned beef and cabbage, red potatoes, and carrots! :finger: ). Perhaps I'll do it in the morning.

It's a shame. Previously, I had AbRip down pat. I had the routine memorized, and was able to get ahead of Tony and the gang, allowing me to rest more if needed. I was beginning to see where a 6pack would go, and was looking forward to completing it. Alas, it was not to be, and here I am again starting from scratch.

Good job to those of you in the program! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

It's amazing to me how popular this program has become.

Week 3 is in the books, Kenpo finished last night. Kenpo is so much easier than the rest of the workouts.

I'm really tired lately, not getting enough sleep. It's very difficult to get this all in when you have a busy lifestyle otherwise. My wife and I finish around 10:30 most nights, and then like idiots we sit and watch TV for an hour+. Refuse to give up that little bit of free time. That has me pretty drained the next day when I get up most mornings. Definitely looking forward to the "rest week" to give my body a little break.

It's amazing to me how popular this program has become.Week 3 is in the books, Kenpo finished last night. Kenpo is so much easier than the rest of the workouts.I'm really tired lately, not getting enough sleep. It's very difficult to get this all in when you have a busy lifestyle otherwise. My wife and I finish around 10:30 most nights, and then like idiots we sit and watch TV for an hour+. Refuse to give up that little bit of free time. That has me pretty drained the next day when I get up most mornings. Definitely looking forward to the "rest week" to give my body a little break.
The "rest week" isn't exactly resting. I thought the same thing but you'll still be working out, just not with weights.

It's amazing to me how popular this program has become.Week 3 is in the books, Kenpo finished last night. Kenpo is so much easier than the rest of the workouts.I'm really tired lately, not getting enough sleep. It's very difficult to get this all in when you have a busy lifestyle otherwise. My wife and I finish around 10:30 most nights, and then like idiots we sit and watch TV for an hour+. Refuse to give up that little bit of free time. That has me pretty drained the next day when I get up most mornings. Definitely looking forward to the "rest week" to give my body a little break.
The "rest week" isn't exactly resting. I thought the same thing but you'll still be working out, just not with weights.
I thought the same thing and was caught off guard. Core synergistics is tough in it's own right.

So, before I started this program, I had a checkup with the Doc (end of Dec) where they ran blood work to check my cholesterol and triglycerides. I weighed in at 228, had borderline high bp (can't remember what it was), my cholesterol was 242 and triglycerides were 250. I was told to change my diet and exercise, which I didn't really take seriously until I came to P90x in February.

Today I had a follow up with the Doc. I'm now 219 (-9), no more high bp (129/79), cholesterol is 201, and triglycerides are 145. :shrug:

I didn't take before pics (I couldn't get past the feeling of being totally ridiculous), but I did take the measurements. According to the worksheet calc, I lost 6lbs of fat, but also lost 3lbs of lean mass. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread