What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Panther's D Coordinator OUT! (1 Viewer)

I think the story was the Panthers were trying to renegotiate his contract, but he backed out of it and wanted to go else where. Why the Panthers were trying to renegotiate his contract I have no idea. This is a great move for the Panthers if you ask me.

Change of heart: Trgovac out

January 22, 2009

Mike Trgovac has had a change of heart and will not be returning as the Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator, according to team general manager Marty Hurney.

"We offered Trgo a contract and told him we wanted him back, but he informed us last night he wanted to pursue other options," said Hurney.

As recently as earlier Wednesday, Trgovac was planning to remain with the Panthers and sign a new contract. He, coach John Fox and Hurney were together at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., and were making plans for the 2009 season.

Trgovac, who has been the Panthers defensive coordinator since 2003, could not be reached for comment.

Fox is now expected to put on hold his search for defensive line and linebackers coaches to focus first on getting a new coordinator. Earlier this week, defensive tackles coach Sal Sunseri decided to leave for a college job at Alabama, and linebackers coach Ken Flajole went to the St. Louis Rams as defensive coordinator.

-- Charles Chandler
January 20, 2009

Trgovac expected to return

MOBILE, Ala. -- Mike Trgovac is expected to remain the Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator.

Speculation has swirled about Trgovac's status since the Panthers' 33-13 loss to Arizona in the playoffs and Carolina's late-season struggles on defense.

However, the Observer has learned that the team still wants Trgovac and he wants to stay. He has been offered a new contract and is expected to sign it soon. He is with the rest of the Panthers staff scouting for the team at the Senior Bowl this week.

The Panthers appear close to losing a third member of the coaching staff, linebackers coach Ken Flajole. He appears close to landing the defensive coordinator job with the St. Louis Rams, working with new head coach Steve Spagnola. At this time, it looks like the rest of the staff will return.

Earlier, quarterbacks coach/passing game coordinator Mike McCoy left to become offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos and was replaced by Rip Scherer, formerly of the Cleveland Browns. Defensive line coach Sal Sunseri left to coach linebackers under Nick Saban at Alabama.

-- Charles Chandler
Interesting turn of events in the past two days.

Last edited by a moderator:
The people here in Charlotte have been calling for his head. The Panthers had two of their worse seasons defensively under Trgo. He basically wore out his welcome. Again, I have no idea what the Panthers were thinking trying to retain him. :lmao:

The people here in Charlotte have been calling for his head. The Panthers had two of their worse seasons defensively under Trgo. He basically wore out his welcome. Again, I have no idea what the Panthers were thinking trying to retain him. :unsure:
Fox is loyal as hell. Even to players.

I wonder if a new DC will have Peppers rethink whether he can "reach his potential" with the Panthers?

Lets not get too excited before we see what turd they bring in to be the DC...Herm Edwards?? Yes, we realize we play to win the game...care to bring anything else to the equation?

Lets not get too excited before we see what turd they bring in to be the DC...Herm Edwards?? Yes, we realize we play to win the game...care to bring anything else to the equation?
Plenty of guys have been clowns as head coaches but are good coordinators. Has Herm ever been a coordinator before?

I'd love to have Cowher come in for a year as DC and take over in '10 as the HC. That would never happen though. Just wishful thinking.

I'd love to have Cowher come in for a year as DC and take over in '10 as the HC. That would never happen though. Just wishful thinking.
:excited: Panther Nation would go NUTS if this happen. Although that would cost a boat load of money. I'm not sold on him actually coming to the Queen City b/c I think he wants a head coaching job which won't happen as long as Fox is winning and getting the team into the playoffs. That said, I like the idea of Herm Edwards coming to town.

:rolleyes: Panther Nation would go NUTS if this happen. Although that would cost a boat load of money. I'm not sold on him actually coming to the Queen City b/c I think he wants a head coaching job which won't happen as long as Fox is winning and getting the team into the playoffs. That said, I like the idea of Herm Edwards coming to town.
Why don't you two wish for unicorns and rainbows with pots of gold at the end of them?Sheesh.

Plenty of guys have been clowns as head coaches but are good coordinators. Has Herm ever been a coordinator before?
He was the DB coach under Kiffin in Tampa, that's a sign he's probably a good coach who just didn't cut it as a HC. Not sure if the cover 2 would fly in Carolina.

He was the DB coach under Kiffin in Tampa, that's a sign he's probably a good coach who just didn't cut it as a HC. Not sure if the cover 2 would fly in Carolina.
The Panthers ran cover 2 last year under Trug. Give up another TD and try to cover the 2 pt conversion attempt.

:lmao:Woo-hoo!!! They're all gone!!! Now we can dump the "bend and break" defense for something else.
:kicksrock: would REALLY like to see them get aggressive on Defense. I think they have the players for it, just need the right coach.
Fox needs to let whoever he hires coach the defense and call the plays. I read somewhere he basically had the last word on what kind of defense was on the field when Trgo (sp?) was there. I would really like to see Herm Edwards at least interviewed...

:hifive:Woo-hoo!!! They're all gone!!! Now we can dump the "bend and break" defense for something else.
You mean go from the 4-3 to the 3-4?4 touchdowns and 3 fieldgoals a game to 3 touchdowns and 4 fieldgoals a game? I think we need a better defense than that

Last edited by a moderator:
:banned: Woo-hoo!!! They're all gone!!! Now we can dump the "bend and break" defense for something else.
:banned: would REALLY like to see them get aggressive on Defense. I think they have the players for it, just need the right coach.
Fox needs to let whoever he hires coach the defense and call the plays. I read somewhere he basically had the last word on what kind of defense was on the field when Trgo (sp?) was there. I would really like to see Herm Edwards at least interviewed...
I am not a Panther fan, but I find it a little difficult to see they joy of Panther fans over the D Coordinator and his staff leaving. John Fox played DB in both High School and College. He's coached on the defensive side of the ball since 1983, including spending 6 years as a defensive coordinator in the NFL before taking the HC job in Carolina. Who do you really think was running the show on the defensive side of the ball?

:banned: Woo-hoo!!! They're all gone!!! Now we can dump the "bend and break" defense for something else.
:goodposting: would REALLY like to see them get aggressive on Defense. I think they have the players for it, just need the right coach.
I am not a Panther fan, but I find it a little difficult to see they joy of Panther fans over the D Coordinator and his staff leaving. John Fox played DB in both High School and College. He's coached on the defensive side of the ball since 1983, including spending 6 years as a defensive coordinator in the NFL before taking the HC job in Carolina. Who do you really think was running the show on the defensive side of the ball?
:goodposting:

local (Packers) spin is that he left the Panthers because the time commitment as DC was too much.. he wanted to spend more time with his family in a more family oriented town

:shrug:

either way.. the d-linemen that have been drafted haven't exactly been improving a lot so.. any change is nice.

:goodposting: would REALLY like to see them get aggressive on Defense. I think they have the players for it, just need the right coach.
This is what I was going to post. Panther fans are nuts if they think things are going to really change with the D. Fox was a hghly regarded DC before he came to the Panthers and his fingerprints are all over the D. Fox will have to put his ego aside and let the new guy run the defense. I dont see it happen unless ownership forces him, and at this point I dont see that being done.I would personally like to thank the Fox for being this way as the Packers gained another solid coach on the defense with a new line coach.

Users who are viewing this thread