What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Parents brawl at 7 year olds baseball game. (Link fixed) (2 Viewers)

Didn't we have a discussion here a while ago where one poster was boasting about abusing a young baseball ref to the point of tears?  I seem to recall our poster "Pick" was quite proud of himself for his ability to abuse young referees in the youth games he was coaching.

My son is 14 and was reffing a U10 soccer game a couple weeks ago.  My wife was there and started texting me about one of the coaches abusing our son.  I was at my office, and nearly drove to the game just to put my foot up the guy's ###.  Very happy I was not in attendance that day. My son handled it much better than I would have, but he did (privately) admit to my wife that he was a bit rattled by the guy at times.
My son reffed summer recreational soccer for a few summers, for grades 7-9. He was a junior in HS when he first started. I was steaming about one of the coaches-an adult guessing 35-40- who repeatedly ran out on the field and berated both my son and the other kid who was reffing with him. I wanted to confront him, the guy needed an earful at minimum (needed more than that to be honest) but my son begged me not to, said he could handle it. I’m getting enraged just thinking about it.

Good life lesson I guess. Who goes all serious for meaningless recreational soccer? Only a massive d-bag. Gawd I just hate people.

My 16 year old daughter thought about reffing summer t ball games this year, but decided not to once she started to pay attention to the way umpires were treated by parents.  I was prepared to go to her games to protect her.  This isn't a new phenomenon I'm sure , likely some guys squared off in the 60s over something similar, but its ugly to watch with everyone now having a camera.  I coached t ball and coach pitch and the umpires were always teenagers. More than once I had to tell them call what they saw and I will back you either way.  Never had unruly parents on my side which was very nice.  Plenty of situations that could of escalated if I had wanted to though.  

My daughters are approaching 20 years of competitive or travel sports combined and at that level things are much better.  Mostly because they have adult umpires who are usually older.  Many have a policy of if parents harass the umpire the coach gets thrown out followed shortly by the game being forfeited.   Best policy but hard for teenage umps to keep ahold of things without adult support. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The parents involved are all idiots.  But the guy that was sucker punching people needs jail time.  What a complete ######.  😡

Both of my sons were umping games at age 14.   We only had one incident where a manager unloaded on a 15 yo umpire.   He started by questioning the umpire's eyesight and progressed to the point where he was saying the kid was an idiot and worst umpire ever.   After the game, he refused to have his team shake hands with the other team.

I was on the board so I spoke to the umpire, the opposing manager and a couple parents of both teams that were there.   Then I spoke to the manager, listened to his side which he tried o defend, and then told him he was done coaching for the year (there were like 4 games left in the season) and that if he caused any more trouble he was gone for good.   He ended up not coming back as a manager next season which was for the best.  

The funny thing is his team was getting trounced and the game shortened due to the Mercy rule.  That didn't happen because of a few bad calls.

My biggest run in as an official was a few years ago. 

It was a 5th/6th grade competitive league boys game between the two best teams in the league and I was reffing with a female who was very shy.  The tiny gym was full and I stopped the game at one point to warn the stands as they were starting to get belligerent to my partner.  Then toward the end, the team's coach that was losing started to ride us and I ended up giving him a technical.  He then yells across the gym to the owner of the facility that he needed to talk to him after the game.  I was about an inch from telling him to go do it now because he was ejected, but I restrained.  Biggest issue was that this guy is a professional youth coach and coached like 10 teams at that facility.  He probably had more pull than I did, but I didn't care.  

We finished the game out and then the same coach had to coach a different team the next game.  He didn't say a word and his team dominated that game.

A couple of years later as my son was getting to that competitive age, we considered having him play on this guy's team, but I just couldn't do it, mostly over that one incident.  If a guy gets that stupid over losing a close game with the officials, I don't trust their character to coach my kid.  What does he say in practice or the team huddle during a game?  I just couldn't do it.

comfortably numb said:
They should all be sentenced to having to ref 20 games....in prison
I would sentence them to thirty days of trash pick up by the side of the highways or ninety days in the county lock-up.  Their choice.

(Except for the teal shorts dude.  He should get real time.)

My son (15 years old) umpires little league games (10/11 year olds) at the park he grew up playing at. Mostly he is a field ump, but has been called upon to go behind tge plate in occasion. What happened in this video is one of my biggest fears about him umpiring  a game - i know he can control the game, but he can’t control the parents.

Luckily, in our situation, because of incidents like the one in the video, there is a league board member at every game. The board member has my kid’s back when it comes to parents, and has stepped in on one occasion to do so.

in the end, most coaches and parents thank him after games, and realize that without him, there may not be a game to be played. Our little league does not have paid umpires until 12y/o “majors” games, anything under that is all volunteer. And, my son gets volunteer hours for high school for doing this. 

CletiusMaximus said:
The fall-out from this incident was somewhat odd.  The league president reached out to us, but said he only wanted to hear from my son, not my wife (I agree completely with this approach).  My son was upset mainly because he didn't get paid the full amount he should have (again, due to the ###hole coach). He was paid the A/R fee, but should have been paid the full center ref fee.  That was his focus, and that was corrected. However, he told me he did not fully report what the coach said to him and downplayed the abuse in his report. His reason was that he thought it would make him look bad, that he did not do his job properly. He said that he should have ejected the coach - that is what the training taught him, and he felt it was his failure because he did not eject the coach.  He loves reffing soccer and the easy money it brings in (according to him) and didn't want to jeopardize that.
good for your son for critiquing himself and recognizing how he could have done things differently. Officiating is a great gig that takes time to really learn your boundaries. I've ref ice hockey for close to 20 years and early on had the same issues with doubting your calls and making that big step to toss a coach or spectator when warranted. He will eventually get there and this was a big step in that.

I'm not a fan of the coaches paying the refs though, just b/c of this situation. Wether its before or after the game, I prefer to have as little interaction as needed with the coaches or team officials. Yes, we do a cordial hello handshake before the game and then afterward, but its not required and if the game goes south, we can position ourselves away from the coaches until they clear the ice. We are paid through our league assignor. He takes a vig, which is fine and we get paid at the month, but its better then the coaches handling it. 

Tell him to keep it up, it's a much better job then a fast food gig and he will learn so many leadership and decision making skills as he grows with it. 

I've seen a few times people saying hockey parents are the worst....maybe? But the benefit we have as refs is that there is glass separating us from the spectators, so we don't hear all the little things, and the game is usually moving pretty fast, so if the parents are mad at a missed (or in most cases a legitimate non-call), there is not a lot of time to dwell on it. I riffed football years ago and most of that game is downtime between plays where nothing is happening and thats when you really hear it. 

20 years of doing it i've pretty much seen it all, including a parent literally on the ice trying to fight me after a game.

But the biggest issues I have with the sport parent mentality when it comes to officials is that they seem to think that I can control what happens BEFORE the penalized action. All I can do is enforce the rule and distribute the appropriate penalty. I CANNOT stop a kid from running another player headfirst into the boards. Yes, games get heated at times, but thats on the coach and the fiber of the player to control their actions and emotions.I'm a talker on the ice, I'm pretty loud (actually i'm kinda known in my league for my overly loud commands) and like to talk to the guys during play..."Guys, keep the sticks down" "We're not gonna do this now, right boys" "Good hits boys, now get back into the play" stuff. I say it loud so that the spectators can hear e to to show them that i'm watching even if I don't call it. But truth is, if one kid wants to dirty another kid, he is going to, I can't do #### about it. 

In most cases, the "ref you lost control of the game!" is bull####. But in the parent's eyes, I am supposed to prevent a kid form going psycho. 

Edit to add, that our High School organization has security and league officials at every game. It helps that we only play at 1 facility. But they back the ref's 100% and all I need to do is tell the scorer to call security and have someone ejected and thay do it, no questions asked. Likewise, USA Hockey (our governing body) has rules in place to make a coach, spectator or player leave.  After the initial penalty, if the person keeps acting up, we have the authority to pause the game. If they still do not leave, we can start to run the clock w/o play until they leave and in the most extreme case, once we have checked those boxes, we can call it a forfeit and thats the game. I've never seen it get past the running the clock stage, but we have the last step as a rule if needed. 

I've seen a few times people saying hockey parents are the worst....maybe? But the benefit we have as refs is that there is glass separating us from the spectators, so we don't hear all the little things, and the game is usually moving pretty fast, so if the parents are mad at a missed (or in most cases a legitimate non-call), there is not a lot of time to dwell on it. I riffed football years ago and most of that game is downtime between plays where nothing is happening and thats when you really hear it. 

20 years of doing it i've pretty much seen it all, including a parent literally on the ice trying to fight me after a game.

But the biggest issues I have with the sport parent mentality when it comes to officials is that they seem to think that I can control what happens BEFORE the penalized action. All I can do is enforce the rule and distribute the appropriate penalty. I CANNOT stop a kid from running another player headfirst into the boards. Yes, games get heated at times, but thats on the coach and the fiber of the player to control their actions and emotions.I'm a talker on the ice, I'm pretty loud (actually i'm kinda known in my league for my overly loud commands) and like to talk to the guys during play..."Guys, keep the sticks down" "We're not gonna do this now, right boys" "Good hits boys, now get back into the play" stuff. I say it loud so that the spectators can hear e to to show them that i'm watching even if I don't call it. But truth is, if one kid wants to dirty another kid, he is going to, I can't do #### about it. 

In most cases, the "ref you lost control of the game!" is bull####. But in the parent's eyes, I am supposed to prevent a kid form going psycho. 

Edit to add, that our High School organization has security and league officials at every game. It helps that we only play at 1 facility. But they back the ref's 100% and all I need to do is tell the scorer to call security and have someone ejected and thay do it, no questions asked. Likewise, USA Hockey (our governing body) has rules in place to make a coach, spectator or player leave.  After the initial penalty, if the person keeps acting up, we have the authority to pause the game. If they still do not leave, we can start to run the clock w/o play until they leave and in the most extreme case, once we have checked those boxes, we can call it a forfeit and thats the game. I've never seen it get past the running the clock stage, but we have the last step as a rule if needed. 
I don't want to hijack but this is an interesting comment.  There are definitely games (more so basketball, football -even flag, and hockey) that get more physical than they really should.  I am not talking about one kid going psycho but some games just are more physical than others.  What combination should it be for the coaches and officials to direct the game back on track?  I feel if it comes from the official it is a more civil process to get it back under control.  If the coaches try to do it, it seems that could then lead to a more heated discussion or even direction of their team to continue the physical play or even become more physical.

In general, I instruct my boys to play (flag football, basketball, and soccer) as physical as the other team is playing them.

When I was a kid, I played peewee football and baseball against different neighborhood teams in Philly. There were never parents who got into it with refs or other parents anywhere near this extreme level. However, my football coach used to berate refs all the time yelling expletives as loud as possible and making tasteless gestures. He and the rest of our coaches were occasionally removed from games all together which was awful and seriously embarrassing. They never seemed to understand the impact it was having on us kids.  It’s seriously disturbing to see parents turning a great and positive learning opportunity for children into a pathetic scene of anger and stupidity. 

Every hockey season (ok the last 4 years of my kids playing travel) I've seen at least one set of parents get thrown out of a rink for swearing and yelling at each other.   I always think how embarrassing that has to be. 
Odds are pretty good that these parents are such low-lifes that they aren't even remotely embarrassed. In fact, they probably wear it like some badge of honor.

When I was a kid, I played peewee football and baseball against different neighborhood teams in Philly. There were never parents who got into it with refs or other parents anywhere near this extreme level. However, my football coach used to berate refs all the time yelling expletives as loud as possible and making tasteless gestures. He and the rest of our coaches were occasionally removed from games all together which was awful and seriously embarrassing. They never seemed to understand the impact it was having on us kids.  It’s seriously disturbing to see parents turning a great and positive learning opportunity for children into a pathetic scene of anger and stupidity. 
I've seen this at all levels and it drives me nuts.

It isn't overly common, but when it happens, it infuriates me.  Coaches at these levels are there to teach the kids about life and respect and the sport, not to win at all costs and blame others when they don't.

There is a local HS football coach that I refuse to officiate for and who I would not let my son play for simply due to the level of disrespect he has continually showed toward officials.  I believe it is a telltale sign of a man's character and I would not want my son subjected to that from an authority figure on a consistent basis.

Odds are pretty good that these parents are such low-lifes that they aren't even remotely embarrassed. In fact, they probably wear it like some badge of honor.
I don't think this is always the case. I think we have a painted picture of these people being the overbearing dad who is living vicariously through their kids.

I think a lot of these instances its fairly normal people getting carried away. Manhoods are questioned; someone says something to a wife or kid and then it becomes a disrespect thing which usually leads to having to show who has the biggest pecker. 

I don't want to hijack but this is an interesting comment.  There are definitely games (more so basketball, football -even flag, and hockey) that get more physical than they really should.  I am not talking about one kid going psycho but some games just are more physical than others.  What combination should it be for the coaches and officials to direct the game back on track?  I feel if it comes from the official it is a more civil process to get it back under control.  If the coaches try to do it, it seems that could then lead to a more heated discussion or even direction of their team to continue the physical play or even become more physical.

In general, I instruct my boys to play (flag football, basketball, and soccer) as physical as the other team is playing them.
I hear you, but here's my opinion. 

Yes, there are times when things can get overly physical b/c the ref may have given them tot much of a leash or refused to call something and not others. Every game is a case by case situation, I get that. My point was that the coaches should know their kids, they should know when a kid is getting agitated or might be brewing something. Its on the coaches to manage their bench and communicate with their kid and talk him down from doing something stupid or with injury potential that will hurt the team. I coach too, and if I witness a kid on my team do something stupid, i'll sit him a shift, or counsel him on the bench. But I've seen coaches putting kids out there against another line knowing that it will spark something. 

Its hard for it to come directly from the official. We can only call the game as it is in front of us. Yes, there are times I tell my partners and the coaches that I see situations starting to boil, like the hits getting too high or a lot more stick work, and that i'm going to have to call it tighter if it keeps up. But I also live by the rule that if you don't call it in the first period, then its tough to call it in the 3rd. But if absolutely needed, I have no problem tightening the game and handing out penalties like candy...I don't want to, but if the players can't control themselves I will. 

Consistency and communication is the key. Plus as I said, if a kid comes off the bench strictly to level another kid, I can't get between them (In most cases), I just need to deal with the fallout and call the appropriate penalty. 

Communication solves many problems, but 99% of the time, the parents don't know what is being said to players of coaches. If I see a kid doing something behind the play and I skate up to him and give him a warning during play, most parents won't see that. But then he does it again and I call it, now in the parents eyes i'm a bum, biased, crappy ref, etc. Accountability falls on the player and coaches to play the game correctly, obey the rules and keep sportsmanship in mind. Sadly that is lost on a lot of players, coaches and parents now. 

Edit to add: that there are also times, where physical can be clean and within the rules. However, one kid thinks that a hit was dirty and thinks he can take matters into his own hands instead of abiding by the refs non-call. Thats where people claim the "ref lost the game" yet it was the player who lost his cool. If I deem it a clean hit, but you feel otherwise, there are civil ways of dealing with it—talk to me, or have your coach have a discussion with me—but deciding its within your rights to 'get back at him' is out of my control and is what causes 99% of the problem in hockey. Look at today's NHL, you can rarely have a stoppage of play or a clean hit without it ending in a gathering of players face-washing each other—even on a clean hit. 

I coached youth basketball, baseball and soccer all the way from 7 years olds starting out, to 17 years old travel/AAU.  I've seen some weird stuff from parents.

My opinion has always been that parents should not be allowed to open their mouths at an event.  Not to say even one word.  And if they do they should be removed with 1 warning on the books.  The second time they wouldn't attend the rest of the year.  And coaches can't say anything to the refs.  At all.  Same deal.  When I started coaching basketball I would berate refs pretty good.  Second year, I stopped saying anything to them during the game.  Amazingly I got more good calls without opening my mouth.

We had that rule in youth soccer.  It worked great.  Parents couldn't cheer.  They could sit there and watch.  That's all.

Basketball was bad.  But moreso on the referees from the parents.  The parents are so close to the action.  Often in bleachers just a couple of feet from the game.  And on small courts it turns into a football game at times.

But Baseball dads are the worst.  The worst.  They know EVERYTHING.  This kid can't hit.  This kid can't field.  Why isn't my kid pitcher, catcher.  The umpire sucks.  Blah.  Blah.  And they are more than happy to open their fat mouths.

I've heard hockey is bad but don't coach it.

To me it's a simple rule.  Parents can't open their mouths at all.  And umpires/refs should have a very short string on what they let coaches say.
I totally disagree with this approach.  Parents should be able to cheer and make noise and be supportive of their kids and the teams.  This shouldn't be taken away because of the bad apples that need to be removed. 

There is also a way for coaches to properly address officials and communicate their concerns without it getting heated.  I also think that officials have become too ready to escalate things when not necessary.  When I umped games I always explained to the managers during the pre-game meeting what I was trying to do and how I would call the game.  For example, when it was me by myself I would let them know that I won't be able to get good angles for plays at 2B so I would do my best to get out there but if the ball beat the runner and the tag was down I was going to call the guy out because there is probably no way I would be able to see if the runner barely avoided a tag.  It was just the nature of the situation.  I never had any issue with a coach over those plays.  They might say he missed the tag and I would shrug and remind him that ball was there and tag was down so he is out.  It was done very calm and matter of fact. 

I also felt that joking around with the coaches between innings helped diffuse the situation before it even starts.  When I am on the coaching side I can tell when the game is going to be tension filled right from the get go based on the officials attitude.  The umps that come out swinging with "I am not taking any crap and don't ever say a word to me" already increase the tension on the field and it just escalates from there.  I have also found that umps with this attitude are usually pretty bad which is probably why they are already mad before anything actually happens.  They are just used to being abused.  I never argued balls/strikes (I might ask where a pitch is or comment that the pitche was called the other way previously - but always in subdued tones.  However, I would discuss situations when I felt the rule was misapplied.  I would do this quietly by calling time and calmly approaching the official.  Generally just pointing out the way I say it or my understanding of the rule called.  More often than not I would have the official come to me between innings and confirm their mistake after they thought about it.  I also think approaching umps between innings to get clarifications of their interpretations or conveying your view goes a long way to keeping things civil.

Now fans commenting has gone too far however the officials shouldn't be listening or paying attention to anything coming from the stands.  They have enough to think about with what is going on in the game.  Unless the fans are using profanity there is no reason to even address them in the heat of the moment.  Another way I have found to diffuse the situations is to talk to the fans between innings and joke around about the game etc to bring the tensions down.  You can even joke around and agree you missed a particular call or what you saw.  It helps if you are self deprecating.  You can also quietly address things if they are starting to get out of hand to try and diffuse things.  I strongly feel that the tensions go up quickly when the officials have no patience.  There is a way to diffuse things in most cases before they get escalated.  Officials with chips already on their shoulders tend to make things worse rather than better.

Every once in a while I feel like a POS when I do something wrong.

Then I see videos like this and I feel REALLY good about myself.

I did some umpiring when I was like 13-16 years old. Mostly a good experience other than 2 or 3 stupid coaches. Had a coach absolutely lay into me on a bang-bang play at first base in the first inning of a fall-ball game. I'm pretty sure it was the first batter. Some dudes just have problems.

Every once in a while I feel like a POS when I do something wrong.

Then I see videos like this and I feel REALLY good about myself.

I did some umpiring when I was like 13-16 years old. Mostly a good experience other than 2 or 3 stupid coaches. Had a coach absolutely lay into me on a bang-bang play at first base in the first inning of a fall-ball game. I'm pretty sure it was the first batter. Some dudes just have problems.
It's not just dudes.  Women can be just as loud, obnoxious, overbearing and rude as the dudes.  I've seen some really repugnant behavior from moms in the stands/sidelines.  

It's not just dudes.  Women can be just as loud, obnoxious, overbearing and rude as the dudes.  I've seen some really repugnant behavior from moms in the stands/sidelines.  
THIS. 

come around some dance academies and see some real nasty floozies ...we talkin' Grade-A ##### level. 

I totally disagree with this approach.  Parents should be able to cheer and make noise and be supportive of their kids and the teams.  This shouldn't be taken away because of the bad apples that need to be removed. 

There is also a way for coaches to properly address officials and communicate their concerns without it getting heated.  I also think that officials have become too ready to escalate things when not necessary.  When I umped games I always explained to the managers during the pre-game meeting what I was trying to do and how I would call the game.  For example, when it was me by myself I would let them know that I won't be able to get good angles for plays at 2B so I would do my best to get out there but if the ball beat the runner and the tag was down I was going to call the guy out because there is probably no way I would be able to see if the runner barely avoided a tag.  It was just the nature of the situation.  I never had any issue with a coach over those plays.  They might say he missed the tag and I would shrug and remind him that ball was there and tag was down so he is out.  It was done very calm and matter of fact. 

I also felt that joking around with the coaches between innings helped diffuse the situation before it even starts.  When I am on the coaching side I can tell when the game is going to be tension filled right from the get go based on the officials attitude.  The umps that come out swinging with "I am not taking any crap and don't ever say a word to me" already increase the tension on the field and it just escalates from there.  I have also found that umps with this attitude are usually pretty bad which is probably why they are already mad before anything actually happens.  They are just used to being abused.  I never argued balls/strikes (I might ask where a pitch is or comment that the pitche was called the other way previously - but always in subdued tones.  However, I would discuss situations when I felt the rule was misapplied.  I would do this quietly by calling time and calmly approaching the official.  Generally just pointing out the way I say it or my understanding of the rule called.  More often than not I would have the official come to me between innings and confirm their mistake after they thought about it.  I also think approaching umps between innings to get clarifications of their interpretations or conveying your view goes a long way to keeping things civil.

Now fans commenting has gone too far however the officials shouldn't be listening or paying attention to anything coming from the stands.  They have enough to think about with what is going on in the game.  Unless the fans are using profanity there is no reason to even address them in the heat of the moment.  Another way I have found to diffuse the situations is to talk to the fans between innings and joke around about the game etc to bring the tensions down.  You can even joke around and agree you missed a particular call or what you saw.  It helps if you are self deprecating.  You can also quietly address things if they are starting to get out of hand to try and diffuse things.  I strongly feel that the tensions go up quickly when the officials have no patience.  There is a way to diffuse things in most cases before they get escalated.  Officials with chips already on their shoulders tend to make things worse rather than better.
To each their own opinion.  I have about 35 years experience coaching in several sports.   So I have my own opinion on what has worked to curb parental problems.

Due to the no talking rule, my soccer players the past 10 years have had a better game experience than did my players in other sports or before the rule went into effect for that league.   They've had a great time with each other and with the other team's players.  It's been more about being a teammate rather than doing what Dad is saying on the sidelines.  It's only travel level.  But many have gone on to play in college.

Basketball was fine either way.  I don't think basketball players hear much of what goes on off the court.  There's a lot of noise from the players on the court, and often from nearby courts at tournaments.  Sometimes I think it's interesting at tournament, where parents from different places have a way different attitude about expectations.  I've seen Moms pull kids off the court in low income areas yelling at them for not trying, whipping their butt the whole way out the door.   I've seen coaches make kids do 100 pushups for missing a free throw.  Meanwhile I coach a bunch of suburban kids where their parents know it's pretty much over after HS.  I've seen the good too from some rough areas.  One AAU coach lets two of his players coach his games, and rotates those players.  He literally sits there.  Says his job is to coach practice.  At first I was like, huh?  But I've seen how it turned those kids into real leaders on and off the court.  He has kids begging to play for him.

Baseball is so quiet.  That's why the parents really need to shut up there.  It seems to be where parents can really be heard.  I've had 16 year old kids crying on the mound as their Mom told them they sucked from the stands.  I've had a Dad that made his kid run around the field 30 times after a loss, even if that kid played great.  I've had a kids' uncle throw a full pizza over the fence at an umpire.  So many other weird things.  That's why  I quit coaching baseball a few years ago.  No matter how many talks you have to correct these parents, some are always wired to make it about themselves.

Fact is the practices are 100x more important than the games.  That's where skill development happens if practice has a purpose.  I'm not even sure the games are meaningful except for the kids and parents to claim themselves winners.  We've really cut back the last few years on tournaments, and the parents know that when they play for me now.  More about skills.  Less about wins/losses.

Oh god yea.

It's embarrassing when the ladies are just screaming stuff and don't know the rules. 

He was safe! He never tagged him!!!

Mam...it's a force play.
I generally hate all parents in the stands.  The moms I hate the most (irrationally I know) are those that love everything that happen on the field.  "Great hit!" they will yell at a routine ground ball to the short stop resulting in their kid getting thrown out first by ten feet.  Sorry ma'am, they aren't 9 anymore.  We don't celebrate just making contact anymore.

Who I hate most overall are the dads that try to cheer via verbal remote control to their kid on the field, yelling instructions constantly for 2 hours.  I have a dad on my youngest son's team this year that coaches every play in the past.  No matter what happens, he has corrections for everything that just happened.  And it is not just his kid, it is the entire team.  My favorite is when a kid gets a fastball blown past him and this numbskull yells "swing sooner!"  I am not exagerating.  This guy talks the entire game and that is the level of instruction he gives constantly.

Usually I bring my lawnchair and sit in the outfield, but our varsity field has a small bleacher section behind home plate and not much open space to watch from elsewhere.

Oh god yea.

It's embarrassing when the ladies are just screaming stuff and don't know the rules. 

He was safe! He never tagged him!!!

Mam...it's a force play.
lol. On rink I work at, the stands are higher then the glass. On game, I was lineman—not wearing the orange bands— standing at the blue line, and this mother is literally leaning over the railing raining F-bombs on me for NOT calling a penalty when some kid hit her kid. I mean stuff you wouldn't even hear at a truck stop. 

Finally I got so fed up I turned to her and said, "Lady, do you see any orange on this sleeve? No you don't, because I'm the GD Linesman and I can't call F'ing penalties. Now shut up, take your kid and go back to the GD soccer fields!" 

To each their own opinion.  I have about 35 years experience coaching in several sports.   So I have my own opinion on what has worked to curb parental problems.

Due to the no talking rule, my soccer players the past 10 years have had a better game experience than did my players in other sports or before the rule went into effect for that league.   They've had a great time with each other and with the other team's players.  It's been more about being a teammate rather than doing what Dad is saying on the sidelines.  It's only travel level.  But many have gone on to play in college.

Basketball was fine either way.  I don't think basketball players hear much of what goes on off the court.  There's a lot of noise from the players on the court, and often from nearby courts at tournaments.  Sometimes I think it's interesting at tournament, where parents from different places have a way different attitude about expectations.  I've seen Moms pull kids off the court in low income areas yelling at them for not trying, whipping their butt the whole way out the door.   I've seen coaches make kids do 100 pushups for missing a free throw.  Meanwhile I coach a bunch of suburban kids where their parents know it's pretty much over after HS.  I've seen the good too from some rough areas.  One AAU coach lets two of his players coach his games, and rotates those players.  He literally sits there.  Says his job is to coach practice.  At first I was like, huh?  But I've seen how it turned those kids into real leaders on and off the court.  He has kids begging to play for him.

Baseball is so quiet.  That's why the parents really need to shut up there.  It seems to be where parents can really be heard.  I've had 16 year old kids crying on the mound as their Mom told them they sucked from the stands.  I've had a Dad that made his kid run around the field 30 times after a loss, even if that kid played great.  I've had a kids' uncle throw a full pizza over the fence at an umpire.  So many other weird things.  That's why  I quit coaching baseball a few years ago.  No matter how many talks you have to correct these parents, some are always wired to make it about themselves.

Fact is the practices are 100x more important than the games.  That's where skill development happens if practice has a purpose.  I'm not even sure the games are meaningful except for the kids and parents to claim themselves winners.  We've really cut back the last few years on tournaments, and the parents know that when they play for me now.  More about skills.  Less about wins/losses.
The problem is the bad apple parents - whose quantity is definitely increasing.  I hate the idea of punishing the supportive parents by limiting their praise because of people that don't know how to control themselves.   To me this is masking the problem instead of solving the root cause (bad parents).  Get rid of the problems so the non-problems can enjoy...........I know that is impossible for the most part.  It's just frustrating. 

Practice is to get ready for games.  If there weren't games there wouldn't be reason to practice.  As a coach your job is develop skills and maximize individuals ability.  The winning is a byproduct of skill development.  The goal of the youth coach should never be winning.....it is develop each kid to their potential.  The winning will happen if you do that. 

Next Monday/Tuesday I will be officiating a girls' HS basketball camp.  School ball with their team's coaches.

It is the most laid back, enjoyable experience.  The coaches are (for the most part) there to develop their players.  Maybe 10-20 parents in the stands and they are there to support their kids, not win games.

In 5 years of doing this same camp, I've warned two coaches to tone it down, which they both did promptly.  I wish it were always like this, but it takes a few years for the bad seeds to get weeded out.

Users who are viewing this thread