What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patrick Mahomes vs. Jalen Hurts is the best QB matchup in the Super Bowl since... (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
Due to the fact that both of them had MVP-caliber seasons, I haven't been this excited about a QB matchup in the Super Bowl since Drew Brees vs. Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLIV. What about everyone else?

Last edited:
Due to the fact that both Super Bowl QBs had MVP-caliber seasons, I haven't been this excited about a Super Bowl QB matchup since Drew Brees vs. Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLIV. What about everyone else?
that is a good point. ton of homerism here, but still love the ultimate underdog story with Nick Foles taking on the big bad empire in Tom Brady in the '17 Super Bowl. looking at the list, i would have to say the 2020 match-up of Mahones vs Brady gives that great impression of an old guy not looking to let go just yet for one last run, with the new sexy toy on the block looking to dethrone him.

but yeah, the 2 leading MVP candidates is a great story too. would think the over should be the play....

best part might be that both of these guys are so young, and in 2 of the top organizations in the NFL. could see these 2 matchup again in future Super Bowls. funny how a few years ago the NFL talked about how there weren't any good NFL QBs after Manning and Brady, then a few years later 'poof'

Due to the fact that both Super Bowl QBs had MVP-caliber seasons, I haven't been this excited about a Super Bowl QB matchup since Drew Brees vs. Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLIV. What about everyone else?
Brady vs Mahomes was only 2 years ago.

Ryan vs Brady was the MVP vs the guy who would have been MVP if he hadn't been suspended for the first 4 games.

I don't see Hurts as on that level yet. He's good, but he's not a truly elite QB in my opinion. This is closer to Brady/Eli or maybe Rodgers/Roethlisberger.

Ryan vs Brady was the MVP vs the guy who would have been MVP if he hadn't been suspended for the first 4 games.

I don't see Hurts as on that level yet. He's good, but he's not a truly elite QB in my opinion. This is closer to Brady/Eli or maybe Rodgers/Roethlisberger.

I get what you’re saying, but hurts is so much more exciting than Ben or Eli. Quality might be similar when they’re on their A game.

I get what you’re saying, but hurts is so much more exciting than Ben or Eli. Quality might be similar when they’re on their A game.
I get what you're saying but Ben nor Eli never had the all around level of talent that surrounds Hurts this year. This Eagles team has no weaknesses at all. You think the turnaround from an average QB last year to elite QB this year is a coincidence? Howie Roseman is the true architect here.

With that said, Hurts has certainly improved in year 3. He also has the intangibles that we probably didn't see in Ben/Eli. But at the end of the day, those 2 guys are multiple super bowl winners. Time will tell with Hurts.

Huh, here I thought I was kind of being generous comparing Hurts to Eli or especially Big Ben.

I almost said Goff from 2018, as he was an MVP candidate on a loaded team that year and hadn't really shown his warts yet.

I guess count me in the camp that thinks Hurts is slightly overrated, which isn't me saying he isn't very good (I'm not a Hurts hater by any means) but I just don't see him as an elite QB yet. He was a top-5 QB this year, but a lot closer to 5th than 1st.

You should watch rugby. You’ll love it. There’s so much less passing.

Huh, here I thought I was kind of being generous comparing Hurts to Eli or especially Big Ben.

I almost said Goff from 2018, as he was an MVP candidate on a loaded team that year and hadn't really shown his warts yet.

I guess count me in the camp that thinks Hurts is slightly overrated, which isn't me saying he isn't very good (I'm not a Hurts hater by any means) but I just don't see him as an elite QB yet. He was a top-5 QB this year, but a lot closer to 5th than 1st.

:popcorn:

Tampa's defense squished Mahomes

KC had at least three starting offensive linemen missing that game, IIRC. They were what Cincinnati would have been this year, which is cannon fodder for that pass rush of Philly.
Yea ngl, was hoping for Cinci. Feel like Mahomes has that magic in him, even though the Eagles have the advantage in the trenches to do magic Mahomes things. Burrow would have been sacked 14 times.

The thing is Hurts is nothing like any of those QB's. His game is simply different. Is he just a runner? No, not at all - Eagles have TWO thousand yard receivers, something MANY teams in the league don't have. He's been excellent on deep passes (not this past game, but this season). But they absolutely use his legs and the run game as a weapon and a key component of this offense, to the extent we really haven't seen before.

If you like pure passers, then yea, this offense won't look good to you. But its absolutely effective. I do wonder how effective it'll be if they have to pay Hurts 40 mil and cant stock the team, but thats a question for another day.

The thing is Hurts is nothing like any of those QB's. His game is simply different. Is he just a runner? No, not at all - Eagles have TWO thousand yard receivers, something MANY teams in the league don't have. He's been excellent on deep passes (not this past game, but this season). But they absolutely use his legs and the run game as a weapon and a key component of this offense, to the extent we really haven't seen before.

If you like pure passers, then yea, this offense won't look good to you. But its absolutely effective. I do wonder how effective it'll be if they have to pay Hurts 40 mil and cant stock the team, but thats a question for another day.
I'm not saying Hurts is like those guys. I'm saying when ranking QBs across the league, he's more in the caliber of those guys. Guys who were good but weren't top-3 guys at really any point of their careers. I also think Hurts isn't a top-3 guy, at least not yet, as he's obviously improved this season, and could certainly continue to improve.

Eagles weapons are certainly among the best in the NFL. DeVonta Smith would be the #1 WR on probably 2/3rds of the teams in the NFL, he's just on a team with a top-5 WR and a top-5 TE.

All I was saying was that the premise of the thread was something I disagreed with, because Hurts hasn't proven he's an elite QB or an all-time great.

Brady/Mahomes 2 years ago should have been, but Tampa's defense squished Mahomes, so it was quite a let down.
The 2 most compelling QB matchups pre-game were Brady/Mahomes 2 years ago and Marino/Montana in 1985. A prime Montana vs a record setting Marino. Neither game lived up to expectations.

I'm not saying Hurts is like those guys. I'm saying when ranking QBs across the league, he's more in the caliber of those guys. Guys who were good but weren't top-3 guys at really any point of their careers. I also think Hurts isn't a top-3 guy, at least not yet, as he's obviously improved this season, and could certainly continue to improve.

Eagles weapons are certainly among the best in the NFL. DeVonta Smith would be the #1 WR on probably 2/3rds of the teams in the NFL, he's just on a team with a top-5 WR and a top-5 TE.

All I was saying was that the premise of the thread was something I disagreed with, because Hurts hasn't proven he's an elite QB or an all-time great.
All time great, no.
Elite QB? The 2nd team All-Pro and MVP finalist would seem to indicate he played like it this year. No clue if he can sustain it of course, but thats a different question. This year he was an elite QB.

🤔 no idea what you’re talking about here. Hurts had the 10th most passing yards on the season. Eagles scored the 3rd most points.

Generous? Not for a year. If you compared careers I guess but by year 3 Ben was leading the league in interceptions. Eli got there in year 4. Hurts at this point is better than either were at the same point in their careers.

🤔 no idea what you’re talking about here. Hurts had the 10th most passing yards on the season. Eagles scored the 3rd most points.
And had two 1000 yard receivers, one of the best QB ratings in the league, and (I think) the highest QB rating on deep passes.

10th most? He also missed two games. Add 450-500 yards where does he land? How about on total TD's (add 4 or 5 to that too)

10th most? He also missed two games. Add 450-500 yards where does he land? How about on total TD's (add 4 or 5 to that too)

Yes. He’s Joe Montana. I’m just a hater I’m told.

To be fair here, he’s 11th per game. Tua and Matt Ryan jump ahead. But most of the guys ahead of him aren’t running for almost 50 yards per game too.

Generous? Not for a year. If you compared careers I guess but by year 3 Ben was leading the league in interceptions. Eli got there in year 4. Hurts at this point is better than either were at the same point in their careers.
The question was about best Super Bowl QB matchups. I'm only comparing Hurts to Eli in 2011 (his best season, where he was elite in the playoffs) when he faced Brady, or Ben in 2010 (where he would have been the runner-up MVP to Brady if he hadn't missed 4 games) when he faced Rodgers.

just a few that come to mind.....some never lived up to the hype
Montana/Marino
Montana/Elway
Elway/Favre
Aikman/Kelly
Bradshaw/Staubach
Brady/Mahomes

It is hard to evaluate players that took such a big leap like Hurts did this year. Story is still being written

just a few that come to mind.....some never lived up to the hype
Montana/Marino
Montana/Elway
Elway/Favre
Aikman/Kelly
Bradshaw/Staubach
Brady/Mahomes
Going all the way back to Super Bowl I, we had Starr v. Dawson, 2 HOF QB's.

The first 10 Super Bowls also had HOF v. HOF matchups such as:
Staubach v. Griese
Griese v. Tarkenton
Bradshaw v. Tarkenton
and the aforementioned Bradshaw v. Staubach

Super Bowls 11-20 featured:
Stabler v. Tarkenton
and another Bradshaw v. Staubach
and the aforementioned Montana v. Marino but was otherwise pretty lean on QB matchups.

Super Bowls 21-30 featured:
the awful Montana v. Elway
2 Aikman v. Kelly matchups, but otherwise meh

Super Bowls 31-40 featured:
the excellent Elway v. Favre
Brady v. Warner, and otherwise meh

Super Bowls 41-50 featured:
2 very good Eli v. Brady games
Roethlisberger v. Warner
Brees v. Manning
Rodgers v. Roethlisberger
Wilson v. Manning
Brady v. Wilson
the ghost of Manning v. Newton

Super Bowls 51-57 featured:
Brady v. Ryan
Brady v. Mahomes
and now Mahomes v. Hurts

So, of the 57 Super Bowls, 23 had pretty good QB matchups, so roughly 40%. Interestingly enough, it was the 1996-2005 timeframe that had the worst QB matchups. With the best being the 2006-2015 timeframe.

Going back 15 Super Bowls . . . most combined TD between QBs (regular and post season up to the SB):

2020 Brady (47) + Mahomes (45) = 92
2021 Stafford (49) + Burrow (40) = 89
2022 Mahomes (49) + Hurts (39) = 88
2013 Peyton (60) + Wilson (28) = 88
2011 Brady (49) + Eli (38) = 87
2007 Brady (57) + Eli (28) = 85
2009 Brees (42) + Peyton (38) = 80
2016 Ryan (46) + Brady (33) = 79
2014 Brady (40) + Wilson (31) = 71
2018 Goff (35) + Brady (33) = 68
2010 Rodgers (40) + Roethlisberger (22) = 62
2015 Newton (50) + Peyton (11) = 61
2019 Mahomes (31) + Garoppolo (29) = 60
2008 Warner (38) + Roethlisberger (21) = 59
2012 Flacco (33) + Kaepernick (20) = 53
2017 Brady (39) + Foles (8) = 47

I'd say he played top 3 this year, but it's absolutely a fair critique to want to see him do it for more years and without such a stellar cast before putting him in 'elite' category.

Right. Those receivers are among the best in the league as is his O line. Ultimately It’s a team game and hurts is playing really well.

And had two 1000 yard receivers, one of the best QB ratings in the league, and (I think) the highest QB rating on deep passes.

The question was about best Super Bowl QB matchups. I'm only comparing Hurts to Eli in 2011 (his best season, where he was elite in the playoffs) when he faced Brady, or Ben in 2010 (where he would have been the runner-up MVP to Brady if he hadn't missed 4 games) when he faced Rodgers.

The only thing I disagreed with was whether you were being generous in the comparison for the year. They’re probably comparable quality, but Hurts is just more electric / fun to watch.

Dilfer - Collins is a standard that will never be passed.

Lousy auto correct.

Last edited:
Interesting topic. didnt Elway beat Favre in the SB? Big Ben v. Kurt Warner, Aikman vs. Jim Kelly, Marino vs Montana

Going back 15 Super Bowls . . . most combined TD between QBs (regular and post season up to the SB):

How is that even imaginable?
The stem cells and HGH wore off.

Honestly, I feel like Peyton and Ray Lewis both got away with shenanigans their last couple years. Like they got a free medical exemption just to keep playing.

ETA- I’m more shocked Cam threw that many TDs.

The stem cells and HGH wore off.

Honestly, I feel like Peyton and Ray Lewis both got away with shenanigans their last couple years. Like they got a free medical exemption just to keep playing.

ETA- I’m more shocked Cam threw that many TDs.
That includes his rushing TDs.

I believe he was benched that season for Brock Osweiler for part of the season.
Thanks. So strange to see someone fall off from 60 to 11 in two years.

He was actually quite terrible that year they won the SuperBowl (the neck injury caught up to him)- although he was still smart enough to be able to read defense that even throwing ducks he moved the offense better than Osweiler could.

Users who are viewing this thread