What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots the Greatest Dynasty in NFL History? (1 Viewer)

The Patriots have played 17 mobile QBs since 2012.  In those 17 games, their defense has allowed 417 points.  The Patriots have a 9-8 record.   The teams that should match up well with the Patriots are currently the Panthers, Chiefs and Packers.  This year, they were lucky in dodging both the Chiefs and Packers.

Teams with mobile QBs vs the patriots:

2016:

bills 16 loss
bills 25 win
seahawks 31 loss
49ers 17 win

2015:

bills 32 win
bills 13 win
chiefs 20 win

2014:

chiefs 41 loss
jets 25 win
packers 26 loss
jets 16 win
seahawks 24 win

2013:

jets 10 win
jets 30 loss
panthers 24 loss

2012:

seahawks 24 loss
49ers 41 loss
Not sure what your criteria is for a mobile quarterback but I think Ryan Tannehill is in the same class as Smith and Rodgers in running ability. 

Sabertooth said:
So what?  Doesn't mean they didn't happen?  I didn't watch the Cubs at all this year, doesn't mean they didn't make history.  
I assume you're a Packers fan.  Do you really feel as much appreciation for a championship in the 30s as you do for the one with Rodgers a few years ago or the one with Favre in 96?  I'm assuming you're not old enough to have watched the 30s championships.  If so, that's weird to me.  Having watched championships and heard/read/even watched replays of older championships the ones that I actually got to witness in real time felt much more fun to me.  I'd assume that's the case with most of the forum but maybe I'm wrong.

I assume you're a Packers fan.  Do you really feel as much appreciation for a championship in the 30s as you do for the one with Rodgers a few years ago or the one with Favre in 96?  I'm assuming you're not old enough to have watched the 30s championships.  If so, that's weird to me.  Having watched championships and heard/read/even watched replays of older championships the ones that I actually got to witness in real time felt much more fun to me.  I'd assume that's the case with most of the forum but maybe I'm wrong.
I appreciate the history of the game.  I'm into history.  Love watching WW2 documentaries, stuff about Charlemagne, you name it.  It's fascinating.  These teams are all a part of history.  You want to read a cool book.  Read When Pride Still Mattered.   It's a bio on Vince Lombardi.  So interesting.  

To be honest when the Packers have won the Super Bowl, it was cool for a couple days and then it was more like "now lets see if we can keep it rolling."  

The glory of the game is fleeting.  The afterglow fades.  But the history books are always there.  

I was telling my sons the story of going to Foxborough back in 1993 after the Pats hired Bill Parcells and drafted Bledsoe - I went to see them play the Oilers and Scott Secules was the starting QB. He threw 3 picks that day and the Pats dropped to 1-5 -- I remember walking back to my car that afternoon, realizing that my team had only won 14 or 15 games in the past FIVE seasons. 

If you had told that 21 year old that the Patriots would end up one of the greatest dynasties in professional sports, I would have laughed in your face.

What a run.
I'm pretty sure I was at that game.  Ha.

I also recall for many years not being able to watch them on tv due the blackout rules.  The kids in New England under the age of 25 have been spoiled with all of the championships between the Pats, Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics.  Crazy.

Disagree.  But that's ok,   That's the beauty of sports.  We can all have different opinions.  You say NE was an expansion team in 1960 (I read 58 but whatever).  But there weren't many teams back then either so it wasn't like when Houston or Jacksonville came into the league.  

I think the reason New England has an easier time now is they have the Best QB ever and the Best Coach ever.  Those combined with a watered down league that favors offense make it easier for them to compete.  It isn't easy.  It has never been easy to be the best in professional football.  

If New England wins one more championship, they will have almost half what the Packers have.  That's awesome.  
Almost half of the Packers' "championships" were prior to the NFL color barrier being broken.  Think about that.  And you think this league is "watered down"?

That was an era when the virtually no one outside the Bears, Packers, Giants and Redskins won a championship for 20 years (17 of 20).  What an era of parity!

The Patriots scored as many Touch Downs in OT of SB51 as the 1929 Dayton Triangles scored all season (and they only played road games).  Read it twice but its true.  All of three teams in the league were above .500 that season

The AFL was launched in 1960 and didn't merge with the NFL until 1970, although they started SBs in 1966.  The Colts (68) and Vikings are considered NFL Champions but not WORLD CHAMPIONS since they lost the SB.

So, NE and GB have been in competition for a World Championship since 1966 with the Patriots holding a 5-4 edge.

No one every said it was EASY to win.. Just a lot easier than it is today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost half of the Packers' "championships" were prior to the NFL color barrier being broken.  Think about that.  And you think this league is "watered down"?

That was an era when the virtually no one outside the Bears, Packers, Giants and Redskins won a championship for 20 years (17 of 20).  What an era of parity!

The Patriots scored as many Touch Downs in OT of SB51 as the 1929 Dayton Triangles scored all season (and they only played road games).  Read it twice but its true.  All of three teams in the league were above .500 that season

The AFL was launched in 1960 and didn't merge with the NFL until 1970, although they started SBs in 1966.  The Colts (68) and Vikings are considered NFL Champions but not WORLD CHAMPIONS since they lost the SB.

So, NE and GB have been in competition for a World Championship since 1966 with the Patriots holding a 5-4 edge.

So what?  Look you are going to frame the argument so your team comes out on top.  I am going to do the same for mine.  It's all good.  There is no logical argument either way unless the Pats win 8 more to the Packers winning zero more.  Then we can talk logic.  

Like DW said, they are at least in the discussion.  Personally, IDGAF.  I can't believe this franchise that I watched (when they weren't blacked out) in the late Raymond Berry-, then Rod Rust/**** MacPherson years has brought home the title 5 times and started every game in the Tom Brady era in contention for a title.

Tale of the Tape in the Salary Cap Era . . .

Wins, Losses, Win%, Points For, Points Against, Point Differential, Playoff Appearances. SB Wins, SB Losses. Conference Finals Appearances 

Code:
Team	W	L	%	PF	PA	PD	Post	SB W	SB L	Conf
NEP	255	113	0.693	9477	7003	2474	18	5	3	12
GBP	236.5	131.5	0.643	9434	7457	1977	18	2	1	7
PIT	232.5	135.5	0.632	8277	6684	1593	15	2	2	9
DEN	224	144	0.609	9032	7827	1205	12	3	1	5
IND	221	147	0.601	8898	8144	754	16	1	1	5
PHI	201	167	0.546	8272	7635	637	12	0	1	5
DAL	199	169	0.541	8180	7592	588	11	1	0	2
BAL	181.5	154.5	0.54	7152	6376	776	10	2	0	4
SEA	198.5	169.5	0.539	8178	7539	639	12	1	2	3
MIN	195.5	172.5	0.531	8483	8159	324	11	0	0	3
KCC	192	176	0.522	8086	7732	354	9	0	0	0
NYG	191.5	176.5	0.52	7792	7802	-10	9	2	1	3
SFO	190.5	177.5	0.518	8082	7894	188	10	1	1	5
MIA	186	182	0.505	7561	7528	33	9	0	0	0
ATL	185.5	182.5	0.504	8123	8369	-246	9	0	2	4
SDC	181	187	0.492	8367	8102	265	8	0	1	2
CAR	172.5	179.5	0.491	7369	7389	-20	7	0	2	4
TEN	179	189	0.486	7762	8116	-354	6	0	1	2
NOS	178	190	0.484	8589	8647	-58	6	1	0	2
NYJ	171	197	0.465	7289	7682	-393	7	0	0	3
CHI	171	197	0.465	7269	7866	-597	5	0	1	2
TBB	169	199	0.459	6981	7496	-515	7	1	0	2
BUF	166	202	0.451	7457	8024	-567	4	0	0	0
CIN	163.5	204.5	0.444	7592	8348	-756	7	0	0	0
HOU	106	134	0.442	4890	5395	-505	4	0	0	0
JAX	155	197	0.44	7084	7646	-562	6	0	0	2
ARI	159.5	208.5	0.433	7217	8565	-1348	5	0	1	2
WAS	158	210	0.429	7446	8165	-719	5	0	0	0
OAK	152	216	0.413	7521	8623	-1102	4	0	1	2
LAR	150.5	217.5	0.409	7490	8678	-1188	5	1	1	2
DET	142	226	0.386	7614	8771	-1157	7	0	0	0
CLE	104	216	0.325	5455	7165	-1710	2	0	0	0

DropKick said:

Not a Pats fan, but this IS the BOTTOM line.

Enjoy these days, as you will probably never see sustained greatness on the level of Belichick and Brady ever again.

So what?  Look you are going to frame the argument so your team comes out on top.  I am going to do the same for mine.  It's all good.  There is no logical argument either way unless the Pats win 8 more to the Packers winning zero more.  Then we can talk logic.  
There are tons of logical arguments which would go over your head.  I told you I was a Dolphins fan.... do you actually read the posts? 

DropKick said:

Yeah my buddy who is a Giants fan is always yammering on about the Giants pre Super Bowl championships.

everytime I tell him: We don't count rings when the brothers weren't allowed to play. 

There are tons of logical arguments which would go over your head.  I told you I was a Dolphins fan.... do you actually read the posts? 
They don't go over my head.  I choose not to value them.  Just like you choose not to value my logical arguments which paint the Packers as far superior.  

Like DW said, they are at least in the discussion.  Personally, IDGAF.  I can't believe this franchise that I watched (when they weren't blacked out) in the late Raymond Berry-, then Rod Rust/**** MacPherson years has brought home the title 5 times and started every game in the Tom Brady era in contention for a title.
I don't think the youngsters can truly appreciate how bad/what a comedy of errors this franchise was pre-Kraft/Parcells...by the way...**** McPherson always seemed like the nicest guy...was like having Father Flanagan as a Coach...actually, I believe his Brother was a Priest...I think that was a story they wrote about once a week...it's what you do when you're losing games 40-14 on a weekly basis...

I don't think the youngsters can truly appreciate how bad/what a comedy of errors this franchise was pre-Kraft/Parcells...by the way...**** McPherson always seemed like the nicest guy...was like having Father Flanagan as a Coach...actually, I believe his Brother was a Priest...I think that was a story they wrote about once a week...it's what you do when you're losing games 40-14 on a weekly basis...
I remember those seasons.

It was so bad, that I remember somebody on ESPN predicting that the Patriots would reach the super bowl at the beginning of the season. To me, that was as big as actually winning the super bowl.

People also forget that this same fanbase or a good chunk of us that have been around a bit longer also suffered through the ball going through Buckner's legs in the '86 World Series.

Fan base for the most part is super spoiled now. They've experienced no pain.

I'm going to say no.  Yes what they've done is amazing and I respect the hell out of them.  I think the salary cap argument hurts them.  Before the cap there was multiple great teams to go up against.  In the 70's the Steelers had the Dolphins and Raiders to go up against then the Cowboys to deal with...all great teams.  In the 80's the 49ers had the Giants, Redskins and the Bears to a lesser extent to contend with.  The 90's it was the Cowboys, 49ers and Packers ...Broncos had a nice run there as well.

I think not having a great rival hurts the Patriots argument just a little.  There is so much parity and the league is watered down now.  That doesn't mean they aren't a great team...they are...maybe the best ever.   I just think the Patriots could use another great team to battle year in and year out to help make that claim. 

I'm going to say no.  Yes what they've done is amazing and I respect the hell out of them.  I think the salary cap argument hurts them.  Before the cap there was multiple great teams to go up against.  In the 70's the Steelers had the Dolphins and Raiders to go up against then the Cowboys to deal with...all great teams.  In the 80's the 49ers had the Giants, Redskins and the Bears to a lesser extent to contend with.  The 90's it was the Cowboys, 49ers and Packers ...Broncos had a nice run there as well.

I think not having a great rival hurts the Patriots argument just a little.  There is so much parity and the league is watered down now.  That doesn't mean they aren't a great team...they are...maybe the best ever.   I just think the Patriots could use another great team to battle year in and year out to help make that claim. 
I think you are almost making an argument for them. The fact that pre-salary cap there were always multiple great teams and now under the salary cap there isn't underscores how impressive their run has been.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are almost making an argument for them. The fact that pre-salary cap there were always multiple great teams and now under the salary cap there isn't underscores how impressive their run has been.
My point is it's difficult to measure their true greatest in a watered down NFL.  I think the salary cap argument is a little overstated when you have the best QB ever with his longevity to boot.  Credit to the Patriots for making it happen and I'm not taking anything away from them.  The Patriots are near or at the top of the list I just wish they had some great teams to consistently compete against to give us some memorable epic battles like the 49ers/Cowboys of the 90s or Raiders/Steelers of the 70's.

They have a great rivalry. The Giants beat them twice.

kyoun1e said:
I remember those seasons.

It was so bad, that I remember somebody on ESPN predicting that the Patriots would reach the super bowl at the beginning of the season. To me, that was as big as actually winning the super bowl.

People also forget that this same fanbase or a good chunk of us that have been around a bit longer also suffered through the ball going through Buckner's legs in the '86 World Series.

Fan base for the most part is super spoiled now. They've experienced no pain.
I had this conversation with my 18 & 14 year old sons.  They truly don't understand what it was to be a fan of Boston sports from the mid 70s on ( Celtics aside ) - that's as far back as I can remember experiencing.  I still have a tiny bit of the "when is the crushing blow coming?" mentality, and never feel fully comfortable before any big game regarding Boston sports, but the past 15 years has certainly softened those edges quite a bit.

Yeah, most cities can't have 10 duck boat parades in a 15 year period covering 4 teams (Pats x 5, Sox x 3, Bruins x 1, Celts x 1). Spoiled is an understatement.

Most places wouldn't even get that many lost championships (4) in that time (Pats x 2, Celts x 1, Bruins x 1).

They don't go over my head.  I choose not to value them.  Just like you choose not to value my logical arguments which paint the Packers as far superior.  
I understand the pride you take in their past success.  I still boast about winning 9 of the first 10 Championships in my family fantasy league.  It's been tougher sledding since we expanded beyond two teams but no one is going to match that mark anytime soon!

My point is it's difficult to measure their true greatest in a watered down NFL.  I think the salary cap argument is a little overstated when you have the best QB ever with his longevity to boot.  Credit to the Patriots for making it happen and I'm not taking anything away from them.  The Patriots are near or at the top of the list I just wish they had some great teams to consistently compete against to give us some memorable epic battles like the 49ers/Cowboys of the 90s or Raiders/Steelers of the 70's.
Really? Manning vs Brady?  The Colts/Patriots were a huge rivalry that morphed into Broncos/Patriots.  They also have a healthy rivalry against the Ravens and Steelers.  Throw in the Giants and the fact that Eli is Peyton's brother.  Controversy with the Jets has gone on for decades with players and coaches moving both ways.   Give them credit for staying on top while other teams come and go. 

I don't think the cap is overrated.  Teams have success and guys want to get paid.  Leads to tough personnel decisions.  Coaches want to get paid or take jobs with more responsibility.  A couple years of success and teams usually get cherry picked.

Really? Manning vs Brady?  The Colts/Patriots were a huge rivalry that morphed into Broncos/Patriots.  They also have a healthy rivalry against the Ravens and Steelers.  Throw in the Giants and the fact that Eli is Peyton's brother.  Controversy with the Jets has gone on for decades with players and coaches moving both ways.   Give them credit for staying on top while other teams come and go. 

I don't think the cap is overrated.  Teams have success and guys want to get paid.  Leads to tough personnel decisions.  Coaches want to get paid or take jobs with more responsibility.  A couple years of success and teams usually get cherry picked.
Colts had Manning and little else.  None of these other teams you describe equal the rivalries of the 70s, 80s and 90s.  It's not the Patriots fault there's a lot of mediocrity in today's NFL.  I am giving the Patriots credit they are a great franchise and maybe the best ever but I just don't agree with those are saying the Patriots are the best without a doubt.  I'm just taking a slight contrarian view as this thread appears to be a Patriots circle jerk.

Colts had Manning and little else.  None of these other teams you describe equal the rivalries of the 70s, 80s and 90s.  It's not the Patriots fault there's a lot of mediocrity in today's NFL.  I am giving the Patriots credit they are a great franchise and maybe the best ever but I just don't agree with those are saying the Patriots are the best without a doubt.  I'm just taking a slight contrarian view as this thread appears to be a Patriots circle jerk.
Manning and little else? Pretty sure the Colts will induct more players from that era into the HoF than the Pats will.

I tend to think of dynasties as dominance over 4-5 years like the Steelers or Cowboys.  Using that definition, I'll give a NO to the Pats.  For as good as they've been, other than the 18-1 year, they weren't a destructive force.  Just look at their Superbowl win margins.

If you define it as sustained success over long periods like the Spurs or Red Wings (which also don't fit into the aforementioned definition ), then YES, Pats are easily #1.

The only minor things against the Pats these 15 years (and let me stress minor, because I don't want any sensitive NE homers crying for 6 pages) is their division has be absolute trash a majority of their run.  Playoff berths, home field, etc. Are a lot easier when you are spotted 5-6 wins each year.  That's about the only negative.  Yep.  Can't think of anything else untoward...

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, there is a "growing sense" the Patriots could see a "significant exodus of coaching and front-office talent" this offseason.

The Patriots have had a subpar year, at least by their usual standards, and seem to be nearing the end of their decades-long dynasty. With concerns over the team's future including owner Robert Kraft's diminishing role in day-to-day operations, coaches and execs could be eager to move on before the Patriots begin their inevitable rebuild. One league executive who spoke to La Canfora remarked, "This is the time to get out, and those guys know it." OC Josh McDaniels, who has been reluctant to leave the safety net of Foxboro in years past, could be more amenable to outside opportunities this year while LBs coach/de-facto DC Brian Flores may also entertain offers to go elsewhere. With Tom Brady finally showing signs of decline and Rob Gronkowski looking like a shell of his former, pre-injury self, New England's days of being an AFC powerhouse could be coming to an abrupt end.

Users who are viewing this thread