What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Petition to keep the horns on the Vikings helmets (1 Viewer)

Viking helmuts without horns would be like female Bears fans without the beer belly, kielbasa smell, and mustasch.

If it was good enough for Eller, Page, Marshall, Larson, Grant Brown, Krause, Tarkenton, Browner, Nelson, Millard, Foreman, Thomas, and Studwell its good enough for the current group. I can see the former players wanting to disassociate from the present, but the present has no right to reject that proud past.

Viking helmuts without horns would be like female Bears fans without the beer belly, kielbasa smell, and mustasch.

If it was good enough for Eller, Page, Marshall, Larson, Grant Brown, Krause, Tarkenton, Browner, Nelson, Millard, Foreman, Thomas, and Studwell its good enough for the current group. I can see the former players wanting to disassociate from the present, but the present has no right to reject that proud past.
:goodposting:

I always thought they looked like wings.
:thumbup: I think they should get a makeover. Not the helmet, but the uni's. I think all of the league uni's should get makeovers like the Bengals, Cardinals, Bucs, Ravens, Rams look. Those all look slick.

The Norsemen still look like they are in techni-color.

Purple pants would be funny.

Viking helmuts without horns would be like Brett Favruh pouting like the little beaotch that he is at the end of the season after throwing three or more picks.

Damn straight, Andy. I'll sign the petition.

I don't know if it's kosher to re-post comments, but to save some time, here's what I wrote on

Gridiron Asassins' Viking Uni related topic, which links to a site purporting to show a possible sketch of new Viking helmets:

What a horrifically bad idea.

First of all, the geniuses in the Vikings organization who think it might be kinda fun and exciting to remove the horn from the helmet should be flayed in the public square. Seriously. Just drag 'em out to the Mall of America, put 'em in the stocks and pelt them with rotten vegetables.

That said, even the ones on that website that retain the horn are a step backward and border on classless. Looks like something a NASCAR driver would wear. Sure, it might look real "snazzy" on an NFL Europe expansion team, but it would barely pass muster in a Junior College conference in Montana, much less the NFL. Here's a little advice to the Vikings management: DON'T MESS WITH THE HELMETS. They're perfectly awesome just the way they are.

I gotta tell ya, I grew up in California, but when I was a kid I became a Minnesota Vikings fan because they played in ten below zero conditions at Metropolitan Stadium, had tough, no-nonsense dudes on the field like Joe Kapp, Bill Brown and Alan Page, and had that stark, purple gear with the horns on the helmet. I grew out of it when they moved indoors to the Metrodome, but it still makes my heart sink when I see some nitwit mess with their great tradition. I mean, they've only had the same uni for 45 years! Those uniforms are classic. Jeez, does every freekin thing have to be about $$$$ and aiming your marketing at a typical 12 year old boy?

What's next? Change the Green Bay Packers colors to chartruese and black?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wednesday on KFAN 1130 The Fan (local all sports radio station) on the P.A. and Dubay show, Paul Allen talked about Zygi mentioning there may be a subtle change to the horn, but it will not be removed. Here's the quote from the Pioneer Press: '

Wilf didn't want to get into specifics regarding the uniform changes, but he said the helmet has been subtly altered. "Same helmet, same horn," he said. "The horn is just accentuated a little to give it a three-dimensional look."

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/s...ll/14212906.htm

http://rubechat.kfan.com/forums/thread/283701.aspx

This is an April fool's joke, right??? How can the Vikes mismanage a franchise so badly down to the uniforms? Chaning the horns would be even worse than trading the two best players on the team for a bunch of draft picks.

The Vikings without the horns would be like the nazis without their swastikas... and who wants to watch a WWII movie with no swastikas?!

FWIW, real Vikings didn't have horns on their helmets. Vikings with helmets on their horns are mythical, much like the myth of the Vikings ever reaching the Super Bowl.

FWIW, real Vikings didn't have horns on their helmets.  Vikings with helmets on their horns are mythical, much like the myth of the Vikings ever reaching the Super Bowl.
Well, actually we don't really know. There is a lack of archeological evidence, but just as an overwhelming amount of evidence doesn't make something true(OJ Simpson anyone?), a lack of evidence doesn't make something false. Since the norsemen of old didn't have the technology of writing, their history was passed down word of mouth. So, it's possible it was embellished. However, Roman and Greek writers described the inhabitants of northern Europe as having wore all kinds of headdresses as if they were wild beasts. Some of these may have included horns. Also, there is much documentation that ancient Germanic and Norse religious leaders wore horned headresses during their religious ceremonies. So, while highly unlikely that Norse warriors wore them to battle, there were times in their culture that a horned helmet was used.

Sorry for the ramble, but have to back up my heritage.

FWIW, real Vikings didn't have horns on their helmets. Vikings with helmets on their horns are mythical, much like the myth of the Vikings ever reaching the Super Bowl.
We have reached the super bowl 4 times, look it up, it's a fact.....BUT WE CAN'T WIN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously. If this comes to pass, Zygi will find that he loses a HUGE part of his fan base. Minnesotan's DO NOT LIKE CHANGE. Especially to our hallowed traditions, of which the Vikings near the top of the list.

This would be chaos if true.

BTW - I have NEVER heard of the horn resembling a sperm. Ever. Where do people come up with this stuff.

Edit: I see it was all an April Fools joke. What a moronic "holiday" that is. Still, Childress seems hell bent on making a fool of himself with the Culpepper comments.

Thank god it was a false alarm. The only thing worse would have been attempts to wax the back of Crazy George who, I have it on good authority, is actually a confused female Bears fan.

:bag:

I think I really like the new helmets. Not saying I would prefer them, but I think they look pretty sharp.

Now itf they can just do something to get rid of the Baruuup Baruuup horn. I left the Twin Cities 19 years ago. Being a Packer fan in Viking land was tough, particularly since the Packers sucked in the 80's, but what always made it worse was the damn Baruuup Baruuup after Viking's scores. I still to this day have a buddy from there who calls after any Viking score against the Packers to play the damn thing into my ear if I pick up the phone or into my machine if I don't.

He gets points for total dedication as he has never yet missed a score in 19 years.

Now itf they can just do something to get rid of the Baruuup Baruuup horn. I left the Twin Cities 19 years ago. Being a Packer fan in Viking land was tough, particularly since the Packers sucked in the 80's, but what always made it worse was the damn Baruuup Baruuup after Viking's scores. I still to this day have a buddy from there who calls after any Viking score against the Packers to play the damn thing into my ear if I pick up the phone or into my machine if I don't.

He gets points for total dedication as he has never yet missed a score in 19 years.
Caller ID down?You don't HAVE to answer the phone.

BTW - I have NEVER heard of the horn resembling a sperm.  Ever.  Where do people come up with this stuff.
I've definitely never seen it that way, but when my girlfriend first saw the helmet she asked me why they had sperms as their logo. This was even after I told her they were the Vikings. I don't know, maybe a 3-D move is for the better?

BTW - I have NEVER heard of the horn resembling a sperm.  Ever.  Where do people come up with this stuff.
I've definitely never seen it that way, but when my girlfriend first saw the helmet she asked me why they had sperms as their logo. This was even after I told her they were the Vikings. I don't know, maybe a 3-D move is for the better?
Sounds like you've got a good girlfriend though. Her mind's in the right place anyway ;) .

Now itf they can just do something to get rid of the Baruuup Baruuup horn.   I left the Twin Cities 19 years ago.  Being a Packer fan in Viking land was tough, particularly since the Packers sucked in the 80's, but what always made it worse was the damn Baruuup Baruuup after Viking's scores.  I still to this day have a buddy from there who calls after any Viking score against the Packers to play the damn thing into my ear if I pick up the phone or into my machine if I don't. 

Yes I do have to answer it if I'm home. One is morally obligated to take one's friends ####, particularly if one likes to serve it as well. I answer out of respect for his insane dedication.

Now itf they can just do something to get rid of the Baruuup Baruuup horn.   I left the Twin Cities 19 years ago.  Being a Packer fan in Viking land was tough, particularly since the Packers sucked in the 80's, but what always made it worse was the damn Baruuup Baruuup after Viking's scores.  I still to this day have a buddy from there who calls after any Viking score against the Packers to play the damn thing into my ear if I pick up the phone or into my machine if I don't. 

Yes I do have to answer it if I'm home. One is morally obligated to take one's friends ####, particularly if one likes to serve it as well. I answer out of respect for his insane dedication.
Well that's true. Fortunately for you, the Vikings look to be scoring a lot less this year than in years past.

I think I really like the new helmets. Not saying I would prefer them, but I think they look pretty sharp.
The 3-D ones? I agree, I think they look pretty cool.Too bad Mr Noodle (Derek Jeter) isn't still around. He could be the team's new mascot instead of Ragnar. He's a Brad Childress clone.
Don't get everyone-but-insufferable-Yankees-fans' hopes up like that. Much to our chagrin, Derek Jeter is still alive and kicking, unlike Michael Jeter.

I think I really like the new helmets.  Not saying I would prefer them, but I think they look pretty sharp.
The 3-D ones? I agree, I think they look pretty cool.Too bad Mr Noodle (Derek Jeter) isn't still around. He could be the team's new mascot instead of Ragnar. He's a Brad Childress clone.
Don't get everyone-but-insufferable-Yankees-fans' hopes up like that. Much to our chagrin, Derek Jeter is still alive and kicking, unlike Michael Jeter.
Somehow, I knew I was going to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread