What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Manning neck injury (1 Viewer)

Chalk this up to Wishful Thinking if you will, but a question about Colts' players' value.

When it was going to be Collins for just a week or two, I was worried about the value of Austin Collie. Surely they'd shy away from 3 WR sets, and go with an extra TE or back for protection, since Collins' release isn't near as fast as Manning, and he's a ####### statue back there, etc.

However, with the news the Manning will be out indefinitely (likely all year) do you think one could make the assumption that they will at least ATTEMPT to run the Offense as intended, with a ton of 3 WR sets (I think they were the highest in the NFL last year, with 75% of their snaps from 3 WR) and at least give Collie a chance to keep his value?

And would you expect to see a lot of Collie this week? The consensus seems to be that they'll be trailing the Texans, thus throwing the ball a lot, which again I would think would lead to more 3 WR sets and Collie being in the game.

I guess the other question is, if they do stick to more 2 WR sets, could Collie supplant Garcon in those sets? It seems to be widely agreed upon that Collie is more talented, but that he just thrives in the slot. Of course, that was with Manning. Do they now put their 2 best talents on the field regardless of X/Y/Slot?

If this is out of place, I apologize -- just didn't think we needed another Manning/Colts Value thread.

Chalk this up to Wishful Thinking if you will, but a question about Colts' players' value. When it was going to be Collins for just a week or two, I was worried about the value of Austin Collie. Surely they'd shy away from 3 WR sets, and go with an extra TE or back for protection, since Collins' release isn't near as fast as Manning, and he's a ####### statue back there, etc.However, with the news the Manning will be out indefinitely (likely all year) do you think one could make the assumption that they will at least ATTEMPT to run the Offense as intended, with a ton of 3 WR sets (I think they were the highest in the NFL last year, with 75% of their snaps from 3 WR) and at least give Collie a chance to keep his value? And would you expect to see a lot of Collie this week? The consensus seems to be that they'll be trailing the Texans, thus throwing the ball a lot, which again I would think would lead to more 3 WR sets and Collie being in the game. I guess the other question is, if they do stick to more 2 WR sets, could Collie supplant Garcon in those sets? It seems to be widely agreed upon that Collie is more talented, but that he just thrives in the slot. Of course, that was with Manning. Do they now put their 2 best talents on the field regardless of X/Y/Slot? If this is out of place, I apologize -- just didn't think we needed another Manning/Colts Value thread.
I don't think they'll let a player like Austin Collie disappear from the offense. I imagine every part of offense is going to take a hit, but expect Collie to have approximately the same percentage of the pie as he did before.

I don't think they'll let a player like Austin Collie disappear from the offense. I imagine every part of offense is going to take a hit, but expect Collie to have approximately the same percentage of the pie as he did before.
They try that and Collie doesn't last 6 games. Manning put Collie on a stretcher. Imagine what Collins would do to him if he feeds him the ball like Manning did.

The Colts honestly have a legit shot in the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes now. Their defense can't stop anyone, their O-line is atrocious and they don't have a RB on the roster that can shoulder a bell cow load. If the Colts manage to go from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck, I swear I'm giving up football!
:banned:

Caldwell will be exposed for the god-awful coach he is as the colts will go 4-12 and have the number 1 overall pick.

I have a question and I'm hoping somoeone knows the answer (apologies if this should be its own thread). Didn't Manning just sign a huge contract with the Colts? I'm curious how this affects the team in regards to the salary cap. If he ends up having to retire, could this put them in a "cap fiasco" as I'm assuming any signing bonus he got would no longer be able to be prorated over the length of the contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
'FavreCo said:
'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
They try that and Collie doesn't last 6 games. Manning put Collie on a stretcher. Imagine what Collins would do to him if he feeds him the ball like Manning did.
I was high on Collie this year but it doesn't bode well for his health.

I have a question and I'm hoping somoeone knows the answer (apologies if this should be its own thread). Didn't Manning just sign a huge contract with the Colts? I'm curious how this affects the team in regards to the salary cap. If he ends up having to retire, could this put them in a "cap fiasco" as I'm assuming any signing bonus he got would no longer be able to be prorated over the length of the contract.
NFL.com explanation

Dropping Manning yesterday felt similar to putting down my old dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody is saying that Collins is a significant upgrade over Curtis Painter but I doubt that he actually is.
What a statement that is about Collins. There is a good chance Painter is the worst QB I've ever seen. And I watched JaMarcus Russell.
:hophead: Kerry "Butterfingers" Collins couldn't play much worse.
Not sure what the hop head is all about. I was with you all along.
I read that statement as "Collins couldn't possible be worse than Painter" but it could also read it as "Collins is worse than the worst" (if that is possible). Obviously, I took it wrong. :bag: Is Painter in yet? I hoping he proves he is not the worst or even the 2nd worst QB you have ever seen.

Chalk this up to Wishful Thinking if you will, but a question about Colts' players' value. When it was going to be Collins for just a week or two, I was worried about the value of Austin Collie. Surely they'd shy away from 3 WR sets, and go with an extra TE or back for protection, since Collins' release isn't near as fast as Manning, and he's a ####### statue back there, etc.However, with the news the Manning will be out indefinitely (likely all year) do you think one could make the assumption that they will at least ATTEMPT to run the Offense as intended, with a ton of 3 WR sets (I think they were the highest in the NFL last year, with 75% of their snaps from 3 WR) and at least give Collie a chance to keep his value? And would you expect to see a lot of Collie this week? The consensus seems to be that they'll be trailing the Texans, thus throwing the ball a lot, which again I would think would lead to more 3 WR sets and Collie being in the game. I guess the other question is, if they do stick to more 2 WR sets, could Collie supplant Garcon in those sets? It seems to be widely agreed upon that Collie is more talented, but that he just thrives in the slot. Of course, that was with Manning. Do they now put their 2 best talents on the field regardless of X/Y/Slot? If this is out of place, I apologize -- just didn't think we needed another Manning/Colts Value thread.
I don't think I've seen Collie's name all year.

Update:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...eyton-manning-still-dealing-with-nerve-issues

Denver Broncos Peyton Manning: Still dealing with nerve issues

By Kareem Copeland

Around the League Writer

Peyton Manning had multiple neck surgeries and missed all of 2011 before returning to the field with the Denver Broncos in 2012. He promptly earned a 12th Pro Bowl after throwing for 4,659 yards and the second most touchdowns of his career (37).

Manning accomplished all that without being 100 percent recovered from those surgeries.

"You know, I still have certain challenges," said Manning, WATE-TV aired. "When you're dealing with nerves I've learned it's a patience deal. They kind of say it could be a year or two, or it may never come back, so I'm kind of hopeful. I kind of wish certain things would come back a little bit more, but I have learned to adjust and compensate in the state that I am. I still would like to make some more improvement. I still work at it.

"Obviously, I still can perform kind of status quo, but I still have hopes and (am) determined to try to seek some more improvement. But, yeah, I'm certainly better than I was last year. But I'm still not quite where I was before I was injured."

Notice Manning didn't detail exactly what things aren't back. Pretty slick. Either way, we all saw that "status quo" Manning is still better than just about everyone else out there. Even at 37 years old. Oh, and now he has Wes Welker running routes.

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...n-manning-broncos-excited-about-increased-zip

Peyton Manning, Broncos excited about increased 'zip'
By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning is still getting used to the idea that his arm will never be as strong as it was before four neck surgeries, but he's already throwing better this offseason than he did in the playoff loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

"We worked out at Duke in March or April and I definitely felt like he had more zip on the ball," wide receiver Eric Decker said Wednesday via the Denver Post. "I think he's come back stronger." Decker's observation from the Duke workout jibes with that of Demaryius Thomas.

More importantly, Manning feels the difference himself. "I feel much more comfortable than I was last year. I am stronger than I was last year," Manning recently told Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com. "I am throwing the ball better now in May of 2013 than I did in May of 2012 -- significantly better. I got better throughout the season."

Now the oldest starting quarterback in the league with a unique injury history among NFL players, Manning realizes he can't outrun the barrage of questions about his health. Armed with Thomas, Decker and now Wes Welker, Manning will have to answer by shattering John Elway's single-season franchise passing records for a second consecutive year.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

unknown: [opening narration] Peyton Manning, Quarterback. A man barely alive.Oscar Goldman: Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Peyton Manning will be that man. Better than he was before. Better... stronger... faster.

Users who are viewing this thread