What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Physics and astronomy thread (1 Viewer)

Is that just a simulation or did both telescopes look at the exact same part of space?
Exact same, can’t find the website I looked at yesterday that had the comparison but the new one was unbelievably more detailed and took 7.5 hours to collect the light. The Hubble took something like 14 days to take its picture.

No. Two different telescopes.

Hubble is in orbit around the earth.

Webb has a much larger mirror and is a million miles away. It left a note on the fridge saying it "needed some space". Ba-dum-bum. :excited:
Yes, different telescopes.  I will add that the Hubble scope was designed to primarily observe in the visible and ultraviolet range of the EM spectrum.  The James Webb is primarily designed for infrared wavelengths.  

Exact same, can’t find the website I looked at yesterday that had the comparison but the new one was unbelievably more detailed and took 7.5 hours to collect the light. The Hubble took something like 14 days to take its picture.
I thought I read 12.5 hours compared to 23 days.  We might be referring to different images though.  The point is still the same.

Yes, different telescopes.  I will add that the Hubble scope was designed to primarily observe in the visible and ultraviolet range of the EM spectrum.  The James Webb is primarily designed for infrared wavelengths.  
For Webb to be able to do the visible spectrum it needs to be about an order of magnitude more precise than the current design.  I hope they try that next.

My father does too. What's yours do?
He's an electrical engineer that's got a civilian contract. I think he designed integrated circuits for the telecommunication aspect of the camera. 

It's sad to say but I didn't inherit my dad's intellect as to mechanic/physics/science so we really never connected about his work.

Article states 13% of people who were asked about the JWT feel it was/is money ill-spent.

I'm trying to not be too judgy....but geez this is some big time small mindedness going on.
Only 13%?  Hmm, I would have thought that number would be higher.  For the record, I disagree, but still thought the number would be higher.

Article states 13% of people who were asked about the JWT feel it was/is money ill-spent.

I'm trying to not be too judgy....but geez this is some big time small mindedness going on.
That's the same % of people that have an unfavorable view of NASA overall (elsewhere in the article). 

That means that vast majority of people think it's money well-spent.

Despite claims
JWST doesn't disprove big bang

"Even if we take these rare, large initial fluctuations and let them grow at the maximum allowable rate, it’s very difficult to get enough galaxies that will be massive enough, evolved enough, and that will form early enough to be consistent with JWST’s observations.

This new set of observations presents an exciting challenge for our modern cosmological theories, and an exciting challenge for cosmologists to try and puzzle out. Why do these galaxies have the properties that they do? Can our standard model of cosmology be reconciled with these observations? And if not, what sort of implications does that have for what else we might learn about dark matter, the expanding Universe, or other aspects of our cosmic history? These are all legitimate research questions that people are actively working on right now, at this very moment."

Traffic on the Space Coast in Brevard County is terrible. And I'm assuming that if you came here for a launch today, then you are most likely staying for the rescheduled one on Friday. The hospitality industry in the area is just loving the $ influx. Sucks for us locals though

Discussion of Jenny's demise was premature.

With the dust storm season over, 2 flights- 30 & 31- in the books. 1st was a shorty to shake the dust off (literally). 2nd was to move closer towards Percy.

Users who are viewing this thread