What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Pierre Strong CLE (1 Viewer)

BobbyLayne

Footballguy
Leading FCS rusher of 2021. Strong showing at the Shrine Bowl.

couple draft profiles:

PFN

Bleacher Report

Consensus ranking seems to be around RB6-10 in this draft class. Not great size (5’11-1/2”, 202), obvs concerns about level of competition & pass pro. But I’ve been impressed in the couple of playoff games I’ve watched.

1st round highlights

He’s got an uphill climb but one to look for at the Combine this week.

Last edited:
Best Jackrabbit RB since Lion Legend Dr. Zach Zenner?

Thanks for the heads up on a deep dive prospect. I will keep any eye out for his measurables. 

@BobbyLayne way to call this year's Elijah Mitchell before the combine!

5'11 207, 4.39u 40, 36" vert, 10'4 broad. Very nice profile. Would love to see him in Miami with one of their 4ths. 

Last edited by a moderator:
South Dakota State RB Pierre Strong posted an official time of 4.37 in the 40-yard dash at the Combine.

Strong had the fastest forty time for running backs. The FCS star led the nation with 1,686 yards last year while averaging 7.0 YPC. Strong is one of the most explosive backs in this year's class, posting 10 rushing touchdowns of 50-plus yards as a four-year starter. The recent success of Jaguars RB James Robinson, who played in the same conference, gives Strong a chance to reach his draft ceiling of a Day 2 pick.

Mar 4, 2022, 11:59 PM ET

HOLY MOLY! Looks like we got a guy that is screaming up draft boards. Maybe he'll even go in the fourth! 

I kid, of course, about how the NFL is treating backs. That is a mighty impressive RAS score. Love it for the young man. Will be drafting him wherever I can a little later. 

HOLY MOLY! Looks like we got a guy that is screaming up draft boards. Maybe he'll even go in the fourth! 

I kid, of course, about how the NFL is treating backs. That is a mighty impressive RAS score. Love it for the young man. Will be drafting him wherever I can a little later. 
He’s an interesting RB. This RB is pretty tough to project right now because after Hall and Walker, it’s a giant tier of maybe 6-8 guys who can’t be sorted without draft capital and landing spot.

According to The Draft Network's Justin Melo, the Cardinals are hosting South Dakota State RB Pierre Strong Jr on a top-30 visit on Monday.

After an excellent combine workout where Strong Jr (5'11/205) ran a 4.37 40-yard dash, it should be no surprise that he is drawing interest from a lot of teams. He is in Arizona for a top-30 visit today after meeting virtually with the Jets, Buccanneers, and Ravens last week. He also has a private workout scheduled towards the end of the month with the Giants. Strong Jr has a bevy of traits that will help him excel in the NFL, with his best fit being a wide zone scheme.

SOURCE: Justin Melo

Apr 11, 2022, 4:00 PM ET

According to NFL.com's Charles Davis, South Dakota State RB Pierre Strong Jr. should be on a team's favorite prospect list.

Strong Jr (5'11/205) playing for the Jackrabbits was perfect fit as he is as quick as dynamic as anyone in this draft. Finishing his career with 7.1 yards per carry last year is going to get any team's attention. Do not discredit him playing at the FCS, we've seen guys like James Robinson and David Johnson have success in the NFL. He has incredible speed and big-play ability and that should have a team bringing him a part of a backfield tandom.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 13, 2022, 8:42 PM ET

According to Doug Farrar on the Richard Sherman podcast, he compared South Dakota State RB Pierre Strong Jr. to LeSean McCoy.

At the height of his career, McCoy was one of the premier running backs in the NFL with quick cuts and blazing speed. The six-time pro bowler had six seasons with over 1,000 rushing yards and five seasons with over 4.5 yards per carry. McCoy ran an impressive 4.45 40-yard dash, which is great but looks like a snail compared to Strong's 4.37 this year. Strong had an astonishing 7.1 yards per carry for South Dakota State and has the same abilities as McCoy to make the big plays and blaze past the secondary. 

SOURCE: PFF College

Apr 13, 2022, 9:25 PM ET

Patriots selected South Dakota State RB Pierre Strong with the No. 127 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.  

Strong (5'11/207) had an extremely productive four-year career at South Dakota State. He totaled 4,527 rushing yards and 40 touchdowns in 48 career games and was highly efficient with a 7.2 career yards per carry average. Strong was also a capable receiver with 581 receiving yards, three touchdowns, and 0.92 yards per route run. Strong had elite breakaway rushing production, but it's unclear if that will translate from the FCS to the NFL. After Strong blazed a 4.37 40 at the Combine, it seems more likely that he can deliver big plays against tougher competition. Strong projects as a classic one-cut-and-go runner. He'll have a long way to go to achieve fantasy relevance in the crowded New England backfield. 

RELATED: 

Rhamondre Stevenson

, Damien Harris

Apr 30, 2022, 1:13 PM ET

Pierre Strong Jr. RB, SDST

Height: 5-11, Weight: 207

Super-explosive ZBS type with some juking skill but not overly elusive. Multiple years of high-level productivity at the FCS level. Not exactly a scheme fit but naturally skilled runner. (Chris Trapasso)

Needs a thread title update. Pierre Strong, Jr., New England Patriots

Just drafted this guy at 3.02 of a rookie draft due to massive brainlock on a slow clock. I was dead set on getting another RB and just bulled ahead, choosing his athletic profile over situations like Allgeier and company. 

This will probably be a redshirt year, and I'm not sure what the #### I was thinking. I actually know what I was thinking. I was reading articles about the Patriots draft and Relative Athletic Score and how they placed so much emphasis on it this year.

2023 away we go! 

NFL Draft results 2022: Who is Patriots fourth-round pick Pierre Strong?

Insider Compares Patriots Draft Pick To Ex-New England Fan Favorite

@DougKyed

Danny Woodhead:

5-8 197 lbs
4.38s 40
1.44s 10-yd split
20 bench reps
38" vert
10-1 broad jump
4.20s shuttle
7.03s 3-cone

Pierre Strong Jr.:

5-11 207 lbs
4.37s 40
1.44s 10-yd split
16 bench reps
38" vert
10-4 broad jump
4.25s shuttle
6.95s 3-cone

6:15 PM · May 3, 2022

Aside - way different body types, this strikes me as a weird comparison
I saw the same comparison.  If all you are looking at is workout numbers, they are similar, but Pierre Strong is a considerably larger back than Woodhead.

NFL Draft results 2022: Who is Patriots fourth-round pick Pierre Strong?

Insider Compares Patriots Draft Pick To Ex-New England Fan Favorite

@DougKyed

Danny Woodhead:

5-8 197 lbs
4.38s 40
1.44s 10-yd split
20 bench reps
38" vert
10-1 broad jump
4.20s shuttle
7.03s 3-cone

Pierre Strong Jr.:

5-11 207 lbs
4.37s 40
1.44s 10-yd split
16 bench reps
38" vert
10-4 broad jump
4.25s shuttle
6.95s 3-cone

6:15 PM · May 3, 2022

Aside - way different body types, this strikes me as a weird comparison

Agree but I think the comparison may be more about the role he may fall into (potentially that Faulk-Vereen-Woodhead-White role)...as Anarchy often points out it is not unusual for a Patriot rookie RB to get somewhat of a redshirt year and if you look at their depth chart Harris is a FA after this year and I can't picture White being there next year (and he might not even be there this year).

Agree but I think the comparison may be more about the role he may fall into (potentially that Faulk-Vereen-Woodhead-White role)...as Anarchy often points out it is not unusual for a Patriot rookie RB to get somewhat of a redshirt year and if you look at their depth chart Harris is a FA after this year and I can't picture White being there next year (and he might not even be there this year).
This year might be different. I have heard whispers . . . which might just be people connecting some dots . . . that NE might trade Harris before the season starts (last year of his contract). I have also seen that James White is a long way from getting cleared to play and he could start the regular season on the PUP list. That could change the climate for Strong if either or both of those happened. At this point, who knows how Strong will look in practice, if he can pick up the blitz, and how well he can adapt to much better competition. I'm guessing it would be a big ask of him to step in at the beginning of the season and play meaningful, significant snaps.

This year might be different. I have heard whispers . . . which might just be people connecting some dots . . . that NE might trade Harris before the season starts (last year of his contract). I have also seen that James White is a long way from getting cleared to play and he could start the regular season on the PUP list. That could change the climate for Strong if either or both of those happened. At this point, who knows how Strong will look in practice, if he can pick up the blitz, and how well he can adapt to much better competition. I'm guessing it would be a big ask of him to step in at the beginning of the season and play meaningful, significant snaps.

I just don't see the need to trade Harris, I would not like that move at all...he is a quality RB and if they dealt him and Stevenson got hurt it could create a huge hole in what should be a strength...also, how much are you gonna get for him...he is a good, reliable RB but he is never going to be an All Pro and he will be a FA after this year so what is the return gonna be...a #4 at best?...I would much rather keep him this year as Mac needs every weapon he can get and then let him walk or see if he would sign a team-friendly deal since the market for RBs is nothing special...I see zero benefit to letting him go.

I just don't see the need to trade Harris, I would not like that move at all...he is a quality RB and if they dealt him and Stevenson got hurt it could create a huge hole in what should be a strength...also, how much are you gonna get for him...he is a good, reliable RB but he is never going to be an All Pro and he will be a FA after this year so what is the return gonna be...a #4 at best?...I would much rather keep him this year as Mac needs every weapon he can get and then let him walk or see if he would sign a team-friendly deal since the market for RBs is nothing special...I see zero benefit to letting him go.
Like many other situations we have hashed out, I agree with you, but BB has been known to trade people in the final year of a contract that they don't envision bringing back. Not sure getting a 6th round pick or a pick swap for Harris helps all that much . . . but that type of trade is always in play.

As far as the team goes, I think the offense is in decent shape. But they are weak (or unproven) at CB and LB. I still think the biggest issue is the four big contracts they took on last year (Henry, Smith, Agholor, and Godchaux) that are tying up $54M in cap space that has NE over a barrel this year. Bill still thinks he can get the guys on the roster coached up and beat a lot of good teams. We'll see if that is realistic.

Like many other situations we have hashed out, I agree with you, but BB has been known to trade people in the final year of a contract that they don't envision bringing back. Not sure getting a 6th round pick or a pick swap for Harris helps all that much . . . but that type of trade is always in play.

As far as the team goes, I think the offense is in decent shape. But they are weak (or unproven) at CB and LB. I still think the biggest issue is the four big contracts they took on last year (Henry, Smith, Agholor, and Godchaux) that are tying up $54M in cap space that has NE over a barrel this year. Bill still thinks he can get the guys on the roster coached up and beat a lot of good teams. We'll see if that is realistic.

Offensively they are OK...Parker should be solid and Thornton adds needed speed but the history of BB developing this type of WR in the past 20 years is zero so I need to see it to believe it on that one...it is not an O that wants to get into too many shootouts but they should be better than last year...the CBs and LB are the key...if they play well we can go back to "in Bill we Trust" but if not I think we will really have to question whether BB the GM is still up to the job of rebuilding in the post-Brady era.

NESN's Zack Cox believes rookie RB Pierre Strong was drafted as James White's "long-term replacement." 

An explosive ball carrier and excellent pass catcher in four years at South Dakota State, Strong -- taken with the 127th pick of the 2022 NFL Draft -- could be a natural fit to eventually supplant White, entering his age-30 season and coming off a catastrophic hip injury in 2021. Shrine Bowl director of operations and player personnel Eric Galko told NESN that Strong's pass-blocking ability will secure at least some playing time as a rookie. “I would say from a Patriots perspective, yeah, I think he starts working a lot more on those third-down roles, maybe as more of a pass-blocking option to James White’s pass-catching option, and then slowly eats into that," Galko said. "But don’t be surprised if they also work him heavily in the rotation.” Strong, who totaled 4,527 rushing yards and 40 touchdowns in 48 career games at South Dakota State, is an intriguing end-of-bench stash in deeper formats. Breaking out in a crowded Patriots backfield will prove exceedingly difficult, however. 

RELATED: 

James White

, Rhamondre Stevenson

, Damien Harris

SOURCE: NESN.com 

May 17, 2022, 8:31 AM ET

Damien Harris 4.57

Rhamondre Stevenson 4.64

Pierre Strong 4.37

The Patriots lacked explosion last year. Guys like Bourne and Jakobi aren't keeping defenses honest. Henry and Jonnu are good for chunk plays but aren't breaking 40 yard plays too often.  Harris and Rhamondre are good backs with size and power. So teams naturally went big against them, and when they got into a deep hole in the playoffs the game was over. 

Now they add Parker, a speedy rookie receiver and a speedy running back.  And they'll change their offensive approach every week based on their opponent's personnel as well as game situation. Sucks for fantasy but should be good for mac's continued development. 

I hate drafting NE RBs in general, but if a gun is held to my head I'd rather take a chance on Kevin Harris a round later or as a waiver wire pick up.
I agree that it is usually a bad investment to chase RB numbers in the New England backfield.  Kevin Harris is an under-the-radar RB I was a bit excited about going into the draft, but I don't really like his fit with the Patriots.  Kevin Harris is a powerful back with limited explosiveness, but, with Damien Harris and Rhamondre Stevenson already in place, it is difficult to imagine much of an early role for Kevin Harris.  Pierre Strong, Jr., however, brings an element that is lacking in New England:  Speed.  James White is trying to work his way back from hip surgery, and he is now on the wrong side of 30.  There is hope that Strong may emerge as the Patriots' receiving back, a role which has historically produced solid PPR fantasy numbers, and Strong's speed and big-play ability could keep him on the field for an expanded role.  I believe Strong could be a decent investment in PPR rookie drafts.

I agree that it is usually a bad investment to chase RB numbers in the New England backfield.  Kevin Harris is an under-the-radar RB I was a bit excited about going into the draft, but I don't really like his fit with the Patriots.  Kevin Harris is a powerful back with limited explosiveness, but, with Damien Harris and Rhamondre Stevenson already in place, it is difficult to imagine much of an early role for Kevin Harris.  Pierre Strong, Jr., however, brings an element that is lacking in New England:  Speed.  James White is trying to work his way back from hip surgery, and he is now on the wrong side of 30.  There is hope that Strong may emerge as the Patriots' receiving back, a role which has historically produced solid PPR fantasy numbers, and Strong's speed and big-play ability could keep him on the field for an expanded role.  I believe Strong could be a decent investment in PPR rookie drafts.
If White can overcome his injury I still think he will be a headache for NE RB owners.

If White can overcome his injury I still think he will be a headache for NE RB owners.
You're not wrong but James White is 31 years old, costs $2.5m, and nothing to cut. Overcoming hip surgery is just one hurdle. Even if he does I think Strong still has an opportunity to push him off the roster at the 53 man cut. There's the standard New England RB cap on his upside and the week-to-week variable being washed out of the game plan, but he has the skillset for the more secure role for our game's purposes. Given his rookie draft price tag he's been my most common acquisition since I wasn't in a position to get either of the top 2. I don't think his potential hit rate is meaningfully different than anyone but Hall, Walker, and Cook...and if he does hit I think he's likely to deliver a return akin to Cook.

You're not wrong but James White is 31 years old, costs $2.5m, and nothing to cut. Overcoming hip surgery is just one hurdle. Even if he does I think Strong still has an opportunity to push him off the roster at the 53 man cut. There's the standard New England RB cap on his upside and the week-to-week variable being washed out of the game plan, but he has the skillset for the more secure role for our game's purposes. Given his rookie draft price tag he's been my most common acquisition since I wasn't in a position to get either of the top 2. I don't think his potential hit rate is meaningfully different than anyone but Hall, Walker, and Cook...and if he does hit I think he's likely to deliver a return akin to Cook.
I have a feeling the NE coaches love James White.

The Sports Hub's Alex Barth believes fourth-round RB Pierre Strong "looks like the best fit" to replace James White (hip surgery) as the Patriots' pass down back.

With White limited at OTAs, the Patriots got an extended look at Strong and sixth-round RB Kevin Harris. Strong was known for his blocking at South Dakota State, where he was used as a lead blocker on quarterback runs, and had 22 catches his senior year. The Patriots drafted Strong two rounds higher than Harris, giving Strong the edge for snaps if White misses time. White landing on reserve/PUP would improve third-year RB J.J. Taylor's roster chances.

RELATED: 

Kevin Harris

, J.J. Taylor

SOURCE: CBS Sports Boston

Jun 18, 2022, 11:20 AM ET

No way of knowing until after they're on the field, but betting against a 31 year old RB coming off a hip surgery strikes me as a sensible gamble.
With no cap hit, it’s a no-brainer.   I like James White also, but NE needs younger playmakers.   I’m sure White could latch on with a good team (chiefs?) for a season.  

NFL Fantasy: Pierre Strong Jr. and sleeper rookie RBs to target

Pierre Strong Jr. - New England Patriots 

The New England Patriots just placed James White on the PUP list, and you know Bill Belichick won't hesitate to pull the plug and just trust the next man up. That happens to be Pierre Strong Jr., who's one of the best pass-catching backs in his class.

While primarily used as a pure runner, Strong Jr. impressed as a receiver when the Jackrabbits needed his reliable hands. He's physical, won't shy away from contact, and is tailor-made to be the Pats' signature goal-line pass-catching back.

NFL Fantasy: Pierre Strong Jr. and sleeper rookie RBs to target

Pierre Strong Jr. - New England Patriots 

The New England Patriots just placed James White on the PUP list, and you know Bill Belichick won't hesitate to pull the plug and just trust the next man up. That happens to be Pierre Strong Jr., who's one of the best pass-catching backs in his class.

While primarily used as a pure runner, Strong Jr. impressed as a receiver when the Jackrabbits needed his reliable hands. He's physical, won't shy away from contact, and is tailor-made to be the Pats' signature goal-line pass-catching back.
Already dropped in one of my leagues.  I hesitate to put in a bid simply because it is a NE RB.  I know that is narrow minded thinking, but I just can't help myself.

Already dropped in one of my leagues.  I hesitate to put in a bid simply because it is a NE RB.  I know that is narrow minded thinking, but I just can't help myself.

I fully understand that thinking but I also believe if you go into it being realistic (i.e. it is absolutely going to be RBBC) that backfield can give you quality depth...if you go in with high expectations (and anyone who does at this point is fooling themselves) you will probably be disappointed...if Strong can play he has a great opportunity to replace White because right now it looks like White is all done and that would give him a pretty specific role and you would have a better handle on what he is instead of chasing last week's points which can be the case with Patriot RBs...on the flip-side (as Anarchy will tell you) rookie RBs often get a red shirt year in New England but there really does seem like a clear path to playing time for Strong unless they feel Stevenson can handle that role as well, but the fact the Pats used a #4 on Strong says to me they want him to seize that role...right now if you have roster space he is worth a spot to see what he is all about because if he can turn into Mac's binky like White was to Brady he can be a useful part of your RB corps.

Agree that 2022 fantasy relevance might be a long shot, but I view this as a free 3rd rounder.   One of the advantages of drafting mid-round RBs is that you can give them the quick hook if there's no momentum in their rookie year.   But you have to at least give them August / early September at the minimum, right?   Even if you ultimately throw him back for a waiver pickup, it was worth it just to see if anything pops, or if the backfield takes any injuries.

Ideally, I think he's worth stashing for the year to see if he does run away with the James White 2.0 role.   Seems to be a guy that a lot of the analysts I typically lean on like but don't love.   However, some of these guys were completely out on Rhamondre as a draft prospect, so anything could happen.   I'm also comfortable moving on fairly early in the season if there's no buzz. 

Agree that 2022 fantasy relevance might be a long shot, but I view this as a free 3rd rounder.   One of the advantages of drafting mid-round RBs is that you can give them the quick hook if there's no momentum in their rookie year.   But you have to at least give them August / early September at the minimum, right?   Even if you ultimately throw him back for a waiver pickup, it was worth it just to see if anything pops, or if the backfield takes any injuries.

Ideally, I think he's worth stashing for the year to see if he does run away with the James White 2.0 role.   Seems to be a guy that a lot of the analysts I typically lean on like but don't love.   However, some of these guys were completely out on Rhamondre as a draft prospect, so anything could happen.   I'm also comfortable moving on fairly early in the season if there's no buzz. 

Yup...it is a philosophy I live by...there's going to be a lot of misses but when you hit it can change the complexion of your team...last year I had a big miss...for my final roster spot I was choosing between Elijah Mitchell and Larry Rountree...Mitchell was hurt at that time, so I used that as the tie-breaker and kept Rountree and felt the pain of the decision all year long.

Boston said:
Yup...it is a philosophy I live by...there's going to be a lot of misses but when you hit it can change the complexion of your team...last year I had a big miss...for my final roster spot I was choosing between Elijah Mitchell and Larry Rountree...Mitchell was hurt at that time, so I used that as the tie-breaker and kept Rountree and felt the pain of the decision all year long.

I was also high on Rountree last year (and Kelly the year before that, and Spiller this year).   Not sure where I had him stacked up against Mitchell on draft day, but I could see doing that.  I had both guys a notch below Stevenson/Kylin Hill when I was picking the middle of the 4th.   I considered myself high on Mitchell as a late sleeper going into the draft, but obviously wasn't high enough (even though I'm not projecting an 8-year reign of stardom in SF).   I also got the Stevenson/Hill "coinflip" wrong in the 4th.   Hit on K. Herbert late in the 3rd, so I still had a decent showing swallowing up RBs in the back half of the draft and seeing what would stick.   It could have worked out a lot better though.     

Users who are viewing this thread