What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pizza Bagels, Genius! (2 Viewers)

I watched a LOT of this guy. Really impressed me two years ago, but not as much as last year- they say he gets all the 50/50 balls, but he didn't last year. Seemed less motivated.

From my dad's alma mater, Long Beach Poly, high school with the most NFL players ever.  

This means Hunter and Ayers are almost certainly cut and either Heyward-Bey, Coates, or Eli Rogers too. They'll only carry 5 receivers. 

Meh.  Already have guys that do what JuJu can do.  Not a bad player, just a redundancy.  Must have blown them away in interviews.

Think I had 15-20 guys I would have preferred there, but Bryant is not trustworthy yet and very little weaponry in the passing game aside from Brown that is reliable. Kid is VERY young and should still have lots of growing to do. 

I watched a LOT of this guy. Really impressed me two years ago, but not as much as last year- they say he gets all the 50/50 balls, but he didn't last year. Seemed less motivated.

From my dad's alma mater, Long Beach Poly, high school with the most NFL players ever.  
He wasn't less motivated, he was hurt. Sources in USC said that he played hurt all year. Also, you watch his games with Darnold and he's a top 3 WR, his QB before that held him back a lot.

This means Hunter and Ayers are almost certainly cut and either Heyward-Bey, Coates, or Eli Rogers too. They'll only carry 5 receivers. 
Well, Hunter was a goner the moment Bryant got reinstated.  This is probably the end of one of Coates or Rogers, since DHB plays teams and makes nothing.

JuJu basically does what Rogers does, sooo....Eli should probably have a good camp.  Coates better put some popsicle sticks on his twigs too.

I don't think JuJu is a bad player for them to have.  I just hoped they'd go a different way.  Plenty of WRs in this class I'd have been just as happy to have later.  Oh well, onward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to act like I have seen him play to judge his talent but given how much of a ####### Bryant is and how guys like Heyward-Bey can barely catch a cold I don't mind the pick.  

I'm with everyone that doesn't fully embrace it. Seems like a luxury pick. I understand things aren't sorted out but you have Rogers, AB and then an assortment of highly talented guys who haven't quite put it all together why do this this early?

Well, Hunter was a goner the moment Bryant got reinstated.  This is probably the end of one of Coates or Rogers, since DHB plays teams and makes nothing.

JuJu basically does what Rogers does, sooo....Eli should probably have a good camp.  Coates better put some popsicle sticks on his twigs too.
Yeah, I think it's Rogers who gets cut. I guess I just don't like the cost of Rogers and a 2nd rounder for Juju. I actually like him as a player but wasn't an advocate of a WR here. I worry about his ability to separate in the NFL. 

I hope he becomes Anquan Boldin. 

Yeah, I think it's Rogers who gets cut. I guess I just don't like the cost of Rogers and a 2nd rounder for Juju. I actually like him as a player but wasn't an advocate of a WR here. I worry about his ability to separate in the NFL. 

you think so? I would be shocked. He made some nice catches last year

They must have really wanted a guy other than Brown that they could rely on to make clutch catches and work the middle of the field. I thought (and thought THEY thought) that Rogers could be that guy, but I guess not. 

I'm less worried about him finding separation.  If there's one thing JuJu is great at it's YAC.  He's not Marshall or T.O., but he's really freaking good at getting yards after the catch.  Get him clean on those middle ins/quick slants/scrapes and he'll get you first downs.  Not much separation needed on those sorts of routes, just get that big bod in front of the DB and shield the throw, and they should be his bread and butter.

They must have really wanted a guy other than Brown that they could rely on to make clutch catches and work the middle of the field. I thought (and thought THEY thought) that Rogers could be that guy, but I guess not. 
Rogers gets free/open. JuJu battles and wins even if he isnt open.  They arent much alike after the snap.

It's either him or Sammie. I don't think they'll cut Heyward-Bey. Bryant, Schuster, Brown, and DHB are going to use 4 roster spots and they only carry 5. Ayers and Hunter are as good as gone too unless they can be added to the PS. 

OVERVIEW

John "JuJu" Smith-Schuster (he officially changed his last name to honor his stepfather) took the mantle of the next great Trojan receiver immediately upon arriving on campus. A 12-game starter and second-team All-Pac-12 all-purpose selection, Smith-Schuster caught 54 passes for 724 yards and five scores, and also returned kicks for USC as a true freshman. He and quarterback Cody Kessler (2016 third-round pick of the Cleveland Browns) continued their partnership in his sophomore year, helping him attain first-team all-conference and second-team Associated Press All-American honors (89-1,454-10). Smith-Schuster has fought through injuries throughout the past few years, missing time in his senior year of high school, breaking his hand in 2015 (though he didn't miss action), and injuring his back during his junior year. That injury lowered his numbers (70-914, 10 scores), though he still received second-team all-conference recognition from league coaches.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Outstanding size and a very available target. Shows no concern working over the middle. Known for his competitive spirit and alpha demeanor. Hyper-aware of defenders around him in space. Works back to the ball as aggressively as he needs to when defenders are attempting to ball-hawk. Searches and sinks into the optimal openings against zone coverage. Plays to his size and has plus route strength. Shows effective uses of frame to shield cornerbacks from contested catches. Plucks it way out front of his body with strong, confident hands. Tremendous ball tracker with ability to search, find and follow the pass in over his shoulder. Has body control to twist and contort in mid-air to pull the throw in. Plays with sideline awareness and consistently drops feet in-bounds on boundary catches. Rugged, aggressive runner after the catch with a stiff-arm to hurt feelings.. Has field vision after catch for maximum YAC yardage. Reliable blocker who can help spring a big run. Able to sustain blocks with power.

WEAKNESSES

Needs to get better at freeing himself at the break point of his routes. Doesn't seem to get cornerbacks tilting with his routes. Missing the sudden acceleration out of his cuts to generate separation and an easy throwing window. Contested catches will have to be a big part of his future. Rarely shows a second gear to run under the deep throws. Will coast when turning to find deep ball rather than maintaining play speed. Off-man corners may squat on underneath routes if they don't fear his vertical speed. Can be slow to release against press coverage. Plays with a delayed open to the quarterback on his comeback routes. Will need to pay better attention to his angles as a blocker. Eight of his ten touchdowns this season came in three games.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 2

SOURCES TELL US

"He has a mom and stepdad who keep him grounded. His passion and enthusiasm are second to none and he absolutely loves football. He came in as a safety and probably could have gone pro as a safety as well if he had stayed there." - Former USC assistant coach

NFL COMPARISON

Anquan Boldin

BOTTOM LINE

Smith-Schuster will get dinged for his lack of speed and separation but he reminds me of Anquan Boldin with his strong hands, physical approach and ability to win the combat catches. JuJu is missing some of the speed traits teams want from their WR1, but he could become a high-volume, possession target with the size tto win some 50/50 throws down the field. Teams who have a speed merchant at one spot would be wise to take a look at Smith-Schuster as a physical counterpart.

I can't remember where I saw it, but last year the coaching staff didn't seem to like Rogers and Coates midseason last year.  Wouldn't be surprised if either was gone, maybe for a trade?

I think this pick holds more value than Watt in the 1st.  Basically see them as Watt worth #40, Juju worth #50 and we got them at 30 and 62.

Hope we go secondary with one of our 3rd rounders, maybe trade up for Jourdan Lewis?

No way they cut Rogers. They love him in the slot. DHB will be gone and maybe Cobi Hamilton. 

I think it's an open contest between Eli and Coates, prolly.  Coates (if healthy) provides something that, right now, only Bryant does among their current crop of other WRs.  Rogers made some plays last year, but he's a little slot guy who didn't look that comfortable on plays on the outside.  Probably the most fungible of the current top 3/4 guys in the pecking order.

DHB is pretty much just a body, and Rogers is a better option on O, but he's a major plus on teams.  Can't see them getting rid of him.

I can't remember where I saw it, but last year the coaching staff didn't seem to like Rogers and Coates midseason last year.  Wouldn't be surprised if either was gone, maybe for a trade?

I think this pick holds more value than Watt in the 1st.  Basically see them as Watt worth #40, Juju worth #50 and we got them at 30 and 62.

Hope we go secondary with one of our 3rd rounders, maybe trade up for Jourdan Lewis?
I wonder if they would touch Lewis with his domestic violence charge. Bengals will probably take him in the 3rd.

I think that's the whole point. Ben wanted another security blanket and Rogers wasn't it. 
Juju is a red zone target, I think. He's going to be the guy who's always open for a 1st down, especially if Bryant and Brown are out taking double coverage, my goodness.

Users who are viewing this thread