What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pizza Bagels, Genius! (1 Viewer)

Glad we signed him, even if he's 60% of what he once was, that's better than what we had starting across from Burns...

Just hope he can get up to speed before Week 1! It'd be so sweet if he could pick off Kizer a couple times. Should have some inside scoops from seeing him in practice.

Haden isn't half of what made him one of the few super stars of the Browns a couple years ago but he is definitely an upgrade over the current corners we have.  

Turned down larger offers to come to Pittsburgh. Clearly they weren't the only team to believe he had something left to give. Hope this turns out like when Revis went to the Pats after dying in Tampa Bay.

Turned down larger offers to come to Pittsburgh. Clearly they weren't the only team to believe he had something left to give. Hope this turns out like when Revis went to the Pats after dying in Tampa Bay.
I had this thought when I heard the rumors earlier too.  Wouldn't be the first time a former stud was left for dead, went somewhere else and turned it back on for a few years.

Either way, a one-legged Haden is probably better than most of what they've seen opposite Burns this PS.  All this is costing them is money?  You make this move 100 times out or 100.  If it blows up completely, you're out from under the money in '18.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone think that the Steelers' uncharacteristic trading for McDonald and pouncing on Haden is a clue that Ben may actually BE serious about retiring after this season, and the Steelers are loading up for a final shot before the window closes?  I'm just not used to them making these sorts of moves, even when it seems like it would make sense.

Anyone think that the Steelers' uncharacteristic trading for McDonald and pouncing on Haden is a clue that Ben may actually BE serious about retiring after this season, and the Steelers are loading up for a final shot before the window closes?  I'm just not used to them making these sorts of moves, even when it seems like it would make sense.
There is definitely the idea of a closing window of opportunity. However, I am in the camp that says Ben returns for one more year if the Steelers win the title this year. It would give him one shot to tie Bradshaw with four. So my best guess (pure speculation) is that the window is open for two more seasons.

When he started publicly musing about retirement, I assumed that meant he was probably going to be gone within 3 seasons.  I absolutely think the front office will be attempting to do what they can to maximize their SB shots while he is still on the team. 

Now, one can certainly argue exactly how much McDonald/Haden level players may actually help, but it is sort of nice to see the team at least attempting to use the free cap space they've got (which has been a rare a$$ occurrence for them for a while) to improve areas where they are undeniably thin.

I'm sure it's a combination of knowing that the window is closing and also putting the best possible team on the field to try and entice him to return.

I don't think either of these moves are uncharacteristic for the Steelers, instead they're right in line with what they usually do.  They gave up very little for McDonald and signed Haden to a contract below his market value from which they can get away if it doesn't pan out.  Both of these are value moves that I think they'd have done in Ben's 3rd year as much as they would now.

I don't think either of these moves are uncharacteristic for the Steelers, instead they're right in line with what they usually do.  They gave up very little for McDonald and signed Haden to a contract below his market value from which they can get away if it doesn't pan out.  Both of these are value moves that I think they'd have done in Ben's 3rd year as much as they would now.
Good point. Similar moves haven't paid off recently (Boykin) but hopefully these two do.

I'm not sure how to read the tea leaves about Ben's retirement. On one hand I do think he was legitimately considering walking away if that's what his family wanted, but he's also a fierce competitor so I think he'd miss it and regret leaving before he had to. He also has been prone to drama in recent seasons so I think it's possible it was just his way of telling the team, I know you don't usually do anything splashy, but my time is almost over, let's make some moves.

If they come close to the SB but don't win it, I think he comes back. If they win the SB I think he could walk away like Bettis, leave on top. But hopefully he'd recognize that this team is poised to make SB runs for the next couple years. The base is strong and his O-line is locked up. If he stays for this year plus 2 more seasons, there's no reason why the Steelers can't be superbowl contenders every time. Also, if Brady goes down with a huge injury or leaves New England, I think Big Ben stays because he'll realize that his odds for more superbowls has just skyrocketed.

If by some chance the Steelers are fortunate to win the Superbowl this year, it would seem not unlikely that Ben would come back for an opportunity to try and win the 4th of his career. And if he does that then I suspecte he would come back and try and win a fifth. The odds of the Steelers 3-peating in the next three seasons are slim to none. Guess that means Ben's future  in terms of playing out this contract is about as clear as mud.

I agree this isn't outside their "normal" paradigm, necessarily.  It's just been so long since they've actually had a decent amount of cap space available we've all sort of forgotten about it.

2nd best team in the AFC and should be playing the Pats in the AFC champ game. They need to watch how horrible they were vs Brady in their zone D and scrap it or the result will be the same in 2017. He pick their bones clean last year.

Contract details : $5.5M signing bonus, 1.5M salary year one. He'll count about 3.2M against the cap this year, which means they still have space to extend Tuitt.

$1M roster bonus due 3/18 and $9M salary in 2018 and 10M in 2019. Basically team options at $10M each of the next two years. If he returns to Pro Bowl level play, they'll pay that. If not, they can cut him in the off-season and only face a manageable 3.8M dead money hit to next year's cap. 1.9M if he's with the team next year and they cut him before the 2019 season. 

Not much downside to it the way it's structured.

Fitz Toussaint and Knile Davis both cut.

Conner clear #2 and I'm wondering now if Watson makes the 53 or they try stashing him on the practice squad

from Joe Rutter...

Friday's reported release of Knile Davis likely clinched a roster spot for Watson, who rushed for 89 yards on 19 carries Thursday. Davis, despite providing a veteran presence, didn't impress with his kickoff returns.

Browns acquired WR Sammie Coates and a 2019 seventh-round pick from the Steelers in exchange for a 2018 sixth-round pick.

Coates struggled throughout his time in Pittsburgh as a 2015 third-rounder, whether it was rookie-year mistakes or the injury bug. Injuries have particularly held him back recently. Coates broke his fingers in 2016 then needed groin and knee surgeries after the season. He's extremely gifted physically at 6'1/212 with long arms and good speed but has yet to put it all together. Coates has two years left on his rookie deal and is another downfield threat for DeShone Kizer.

Coates, Ayers and Hamilton gone.  Looks like DHB makes it again thanks to special teams.  So, who does that leave as our most likely return man?  

Coates, Ayers and Hamilton gone.  Looks like DHB makes it again thanks to special teams.  So, who does that leave as our most likely return man?  

Lets cut another bubble player and go sign Isaac Redman ! 

And, I agree something more going than meets the eye with Sammie Coates.    I hope he becomes a quality starter somewhere, just not in the AFCN.

And the 6th they got is apparently the one they traded for Justin Gilbert.  So they traded Coates and a 7th for Gilbert.

You've been Sashi'd

Users who are viewing this thread