What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pizza Bagels, Genius! (2 Viewers)

Gotta love our F.O taking a serious look into the TE position for this draft. 

Hope we do a visit with Shaheen and that they already have a complete grasp of Howard and Njoku.

With Derek Barnett trending so far up -- its nice to see us looking at Reddick!
Well look at that...

• Ashland TE Adam Shaheen  :headbang:
and also...

• Miami (FL) QB Brad Kaaya
  • Penn State WR Chris Godwin
  • West Virginia WR Shelton Gibson
  • Oregon TE Pharoh Brown
  • Tennessee QB Joshua Dobbs
  • Iowa QB CJ Beathard

BigSteelThrill said:
I want no part of him at all.

Watched way too much "blah" on the game videos. He would get sacks, but they seemed very lackluster.
Style points get the team extra points now? :) I'm more concerned about the "getting sacks" part.  I'd take 8-15 "lackluster" sacks a season for the better part of a decade from someone on the edge and be juuuust fine with it.

McKinley certainly needs refinement.  He is raw as hell, but many of the plays he does make(and there were a lot of them) are, by and large, from effort.  He flashes the speed-to-power you like to see too, but a lot of what he achieved was just from always going after the ball.  You can't teach the athleticism he's got for his size, and with the willingness he's shown to stick his nose in I think he's going to wind up be extremely productive.  May take a year, perhaps two, but it'll probably happen.  Having him be able to watch a guy like Harrison closely sure wouldn't hurt him.  Or Dupree, for that matter.  A lot of the same negatives being said about Tak are the same things that were said about Bud("more athlete than football player, raw, flashes speed to power but isn't consistent, gets by on athleticism and effort, etc, etc").

Probably irrelevant.  I seriously doubt he makes it to there pick.

Style points get the team extra points now? :) I'm more concerned about the "getting sacks" part.  I'd take 8-15 "lackluster" sacks a season for the better part of a decade from someone on the edge and be juuuust fine with it.

McKinley certainly needs refinement.  He is raw as hell, but many of the plays he does make(and there were a lot of them) are, by and large, from effort.  He flashes the speed-to-power you like to see too, but a lot of what he achieved was just from always going after the ball.  You can't teach the athleticism he's got for his size, and with the willingness he's shown to stick his nose in I think he's going to wind up be extremely productive.  May take a year, perhaps two, but it'll probably happen.  Having him be able to watch a guy like Harrison closely sure wouldn't hurt him.  Or Dupree, for that matter.  A lot of the same negatives being said about Tak are the same things that were said about Bud("more athlete than football player, raw, flashes speed to power but isn't consistent, gets by on athleticism and effort, etc, etc").

Probably irrelevant.  I seriously doubt he makes it to there pick.
No but his style and such look like Jarvis Jones in college. Much rather have TJ Watt.

He was a "late in the play" coverage-sack type of guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jones was a poor athlete, but a good football player in college.  Pretty much the opposite of McKinley/Dupree types to me.
I agree with that. Jones was horrible in that regard but considered a much more refined pass rusher. I didnt like that pick either.

Takarist is the opposite in some repsects, but even then he isn't a "flash" player with 1st round quickness. And his lack of pass rush technique is disturbing to me when I watch him.

Dre Kirkpatrick - DB - Bengals

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the Bengals are "focused" on re-signing free agent CB Dre Kirkpatrick, and have "strong" money on the table.
The No. 17 overall pick of the 2012 draft, Kirkpatrick has been slow developing, but is coming off his best season. He turns 28 in October. NFL.com reported last week that the Steelers and Titans have interest.

Steelers might sign Logan Ryan.  Not sure that would be a great deal for the money, I'm always skeptical of any players the Pats let leave, that they just benefited from the system.  

We could use a backup OT if a cheap one is available.

Steelers might sign Logan Ryan.  Not sure that would be a great deal for the money, I'm always skeptical of any players the Pats let leave, that they just benefited from the system.  

We could use a backup OT if a cheap one is available.
I don't see Ryan signing.  I don't think the Steelers would be willing to pay him more than 6-7M a season and apparently, he and his agents are looking for a deal in the $12M per range.  That's a huge gulf and I can't imagine it happens unless they come way down on that $ figure.  I'd be very surprised if the Steelers dropped that kind of cash on a FA, even with cap room.

I had heard the Steelers really like Jerald Hawkins. And consider the position in fine hands with Hubbard playing anywhere he is needed on the line.
That was my hope, but since he missed most of last year I didn't know about his reliability.  

Wheaton signs with the Bears.  I thought he had a ton of potential when he came out, and he'd flash it every once in a while, but he just never turned that corner and became the great WR he seemed to be.  Wish him well though in Chicago.

I don't see Ryan signing.  I don't think the Steelers would be willing to pay him more than 6-7M a season and apparently, he and his agents are looking for a deal in the $12M per range.  That's a huge gulf and I can't imagine it happens unless they come way down on that $ figure.  I'd be very surprised if the Steelers dropped that kind of cash on a FA, even with cap room.
Logan Ryan signs with  the Titans 3yrs/$30M

Details on Landry's deal - $600,000 signing bonus and 2 years at $1.9M salary each year.  Nothing guaranteed beyond the signing bonus, so he's cuttable at any time.  Very reasonable deal for a backup QB.

JoeSteeler said:
Logan Ryan signs with  the Titans 3yrs/$30M
With the increased cap # and the amount of room some of these teams have, the Steelers just realistically aren't going to be in the mix for any of the higher-priced free agents.  I think Timmons is likely gone too - I'd love to see him re-signed at a 2-year lower cost deal, but all it will take is one team to throw a 3 year or $20+ million offer his way and he's a ghost.

With the increased cap # and the amount of room some of these teams have, the Steelers just realistically aren't going to be in the mix for any of the higher-priced free agents.  I think Timmons is likely gone too - I'd love to see him re-signed at a 2-year lower cost deal, but all it will take is one team to throw a 3 year or $20+ million offer his way and he's a ghost.
agree 100%, I am resigned to the fact that Timmons is gone. 

What if Reuben Foster somehow falls to 30?

Will it happen?  Probably not. Ok, definitely not. But it would be nice if it did happen.

agree 100%, I am resigned to the fact that Timmons is gone. 
I wonder what the Titans cap figure is after the moves they've made.  I know they were working hard to upgrade the WR group, but if that completes and/or the available talent is depleted and they opt to go to the draft looking to stock up on wideouts, they could easily offer Timmons a contract we can't/shouldn't match.  I know LeBeau loves him.

What if Reuben Foster somehow falls to 30?

Will it happen?  Probably not. Ok, definitely not. But it would be nice if it did happen.
I might even be OK with not going after a pass rusher in round 1 if it did.  He and Shazier inside could be devastating if both guys stayed healthy - the sideline to sideline range of these guys would make it so difficult for opponents to spring big plays to the perimeters.

Timmons signs with Miami, 2-years $12 million.

Too rich for me. He had a good 2016, and a rotten 2015.  He'll probably have a good 2017, and a bad 2018, is my guess.  I'd be surprised if he maintains for 2 more years.  That said, Thank you LT for your many years of faithful service.

2 years, $12 million is significantly less than I thought Timmons would sign for with another franchise.  I figured the Steelers would offer him something along those lines and would get outbid, but I guess they really think Vince Williams is a better (or at least a better "bang for the buck") option for the next couple of years.  Probably the smart move team-wise but still sad to see #94 move on.  He was a really good player for a lot of years and a stalwart of the defense.  Best of luck, LT.

Bet the Steelers go EDGE, Secondary, and ILB in the first 4 picks.  Could throw a WR, TE, RB, or QB in there, but those 3 positions seem to be top needs.

Timmons signs with Miami, 2-years $12 million.

Too rich for me. He had a good 2016, and a rotten 2015.  He'll probably have a good 2017, and a bad 2018, is my guess.  I'd be surprised if he maintains for 2 more years.  That said, Thank you LT for your many years of faithful service.

2 years, $12 million is significantly less than I thought Timmons would sign for with another franchise.  I figured the Steelers would offer him something along those lines and would get outbid, but I guess they really think Vince Williams is a better (or at least a better "bang for the buck") option for the next couple of years.  Probably the smart move team-wise but still sad to see #94 move on.  He was a really good player for a lot of years and a stalwart of the defense.  Best of luck, LT.
:goodposting:

I feel like they committed to VW being the starting ILB for the foreseeable future a year ago. Timmons' solid 2016 was a pleasant surprise but I suspect a good chunk of their remaining cap space is earmarked for extensions for Shazier and Tuitt. I believe that those deals are going to get done quickly once the few remaining guys they seem to be interested in and are hoping to get on bargain deals get signed. I just think $6M wasn't in the budget for Timmons when I stop and look at the big picture. 

I think the Steelers wanted Timmons back but were never going guarantee $11 million.  

I wish him the best,  he was a good player for the Steelers.

Bet the Steelers go EDGE, Secondary, and ILB in the first 4 picks.  Could throw a WR, TE, RB, or QB in there, but those 3 positions seem to be top needs.
The Steelers desperately need a backup RB. Whether they do that in the draft or FA (maybe both) it needs to be addressed.  I'm not a big fan of Toussaint.

JoeSteeler said:
Is everyone pretty much assuming deangelo is gone? 
Not until he is signed by someone else.  Just needs to prove to himself that he isn't going to get $5M/yr.  I just hope to God he isn't signed by the Pats.

Is everyone pretty much assuming deangelo is gone? 
I would assume as much unless he'll take the vet minimum.  He gets injured too often to be a reliable backup for our other RB who gets injured too often.

And I'd wager we take a RB with one of our first 5 picks.  They seem to like Gallman and Perine, one would be like Bell-lite and the other would be a bruising back who could be our short yardage battering ram.  Not sure Perine has the burst for it but I'd like any RB we get to try and learn from Bell's style.  That way, if he gets hurt we can just roll one back in and not change our blocking scheme.  One issue that Williams had when Bell went down against NE was that he was dashing in before blocks were established.

Hightower coming in for a visit. can't see the Steelers having the $$$ for him.

Leveon Bell underwent surgery. Presumably for his groin issue.  It seems like this is for the best, a lot of players that try to put off surgery end up needing it in the end and missing game time.

Agreed, unless they put off Tuitt's extension for a year.

Also, if they sign Bell long-term they could afford it by moving $$$ into future years.

I'd be fine with the Steelers going back into cap-hell if they can make the most of Ben's remaining years.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent LB Dont'a Hightower will visit the Steelers.
Hightower has already visited the Titans and Jets, but both teams reportedly left the meeting assuming he would re-sign with the Patriots. The Steelers do have a need at linebacker after letting Lawrence Timmons walk, but this entire adventure seems like an effort to drive up the Pats' offer.

Seems like the Steelers have done this to a couple key teams/players.

Hope we can sign him.  He should have been a Steeler long ago.  Thought for sure they were going to draft him.  Can't be too disappointed I guess, seeing how we drafted DeCastro instead.

Im really big on giving Vince Williams his shot. 

I also think getting out of the 4LB set and into more nickel-dime is the way we want to go. Provided our NT (3rd DL) can generate some pass rush. And Javon Hargrave can obviously penetrate. With Williams as a big stuffer who isn't a total liability vs the pass, he fits well in getting extra DBs on the field at times in todays NFL.

Yet if they think Hightower is that damn good, then so be it.

Also think that Zach Brown could be a damn fine addition and should have a much more reasonable cost.

.... yet... I do want Vince to get his shot. Which would come from signing nobody.  :shrug:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent LB Dont'a Hightower will visit the Steelers.
Hightower has already visited the Titans and Jets, but both teams reportedly left the meeting assuming he would re-sign with the Patriots. The Steelers do have a need at linebacker after letting Lawrence Timmons walk, but this entire adventure seems like an effort to drive up the Pats' offer.

Seems like the Steelers have done this to a couple key teams/players.
Maybe on Hightower's part, but I doubt the Steelers would have any interest in bringing a guy in with the sole purpose of driving up his value to eat up another team's cap space.  I don't think he's anywhere near Pittsburgh unless they legitimately want to kick the tires and see what the guy's asking for.

Martavis Bryant is now eligible to return from his one-year suspension, but the league office has yet to reinstate him.
Bryant applied for reinstatement on January 28, and the league has 60 days from that point to render a decision, meaning Bryant should know his future by the end of March at the latest. Bryant still has not met with Roger Goodell -- a requirement prior to reinstatement -- however, so it is likely the NFL plans to use most if not all of those 60 days. All accounts suggest Bryant has done what he needs to do to get back in the league, but his availability cannot be taken for granted until he is officially reinstated.

Maybe on Hightower's part, but I doubt the Steelers would have any interest in bringing a guy in with the sole purpose of driving up his value to eat up another team's cap space.  I don't think he's anywhere near Pittsburgh unless they legitimately want to kick the tires and see what the guy's asking for.
Like the Steelers, the Pats aren't likely to get into a bidding war.  If you're willing to overpay a bit then you might have a shot.   My guess is the Steelers are not and this is an effort in futility.  Still, it doesn't hurt to bring him in.

I would assume as much unless he'll take the vet minimum.  He gets injured too often to be a reliable backup for our other RB who gets injured too often.

And I'd wager we take a RB with one of our first 5 picks.  They seem to like Gallman and Perine, one would be like Bell-lite and the other would be a bruising back who could be our short yardage battering ram.  Not sure Perine has the burst for it but I'd like any RB we get to try and learn from Bell's style.  That way, if he gets hurt we can just roll one back in and not change our blocking scheme.  One issue that Williams had when Bell went down against NE was that he was dashing in before blocks were established.
I dunno, Williams was pretty reliable in 2015 until the playoffs.   I think the problem is the way Tomlin uses his backs.  He runs them into the ground even when unnecessary.

Like the Steelers, the Pats aren't likely to get into a bidding war.  If you're willing to overpay a bit then you might have a shot.   My guess is the Steelers are not and this is an effort in futility.  Still, it doesn't hurt to bring him in.
Exactly.  I'm sure they're legitimately interested, but they're not going to pay him what he wants.  I read he's looking for "Jamie Collins money" - which is north of $12M per.  No chance that's happening in Pittsburgh, IMO.

With the cap space some teams have and the propensity of other teams to treat any cap space as if it's syphillis, there aren't going to be any real free agent "bargains" to be had this year.  They're going to have to wait until all the top-tier (and middle-tier) talent has dried up and then try to scavenge the scrap heap to see if anyone is willing to sign for low base salaries to play for a team that has a window to win a Super Bowl.  Otherwise, it's to the draft, as per the usual.

It sounds like Jarvis Jones is getting an offer from Arizona.    I had heard rumors the Steelers were still considering bringing him back so looks like we dodged a bullet.

Shocking that it's AZ that signed Jarvis. :lol:

Reports are that we offered Hightower a contract but he didn't sign. Speculation that he's leveraging it to get a better offer from NE. Steelers told him that if he leaves town, the offer is rescinded.

DKPittsburghSports.com reports Steelers restricted free agent CB Ross Cockrell is drawing "plenty" of interest.
Reporter Mark Kaboly doesn't name any teams. Cockrell was somewhat surprisingly tendered at the original-round level, which is the fourth round in this instance.

So stupid. To place a 4th round tender (his original round) instead of the 2nd round tender was a cost difference of $700k. 2.023m vs 1.323m.
Instead if teams bid on him (and a 2nd would have scared most away) and only have to part with a 4th they will likely offer him 5-9 million per year.

DKPittsburghSports.com reports Steelers restricted free agent CB Ross Cockrell is drawing "plenty" of interest.
Reporter Mark Kaboly doesn't name any teams. Cockrell was somewhat surprisingly tendered at the original-round level, which is the fourth round in this instance.

So stupid. To place a 4th round tender (his original round) instead of the 2nd round tender was a cost difference of $700k. 2.023m vs 1.323m.
Instead if teams bid on him (and a 2nd would have scared most away) and only have to part with a 4th they will likely offer him 5-9 million per year.
Maybe the Steelers would rather have the 4th rounder.  I think they believe he's easily replaceable, possibly evidenced by the number of FA corners they've brought in over the last couple of weeks.  The fact that none of them signed might have them re-thinking this decision, but I think it's clear that they feel an upgrade is needed at that spot.

Hightower left Pittsburgh, so presumably our offer is rescinded.  

It would suck if we lost Cockrell, but wouldn't be the end of the world.  They should have tendered him with a 2nd rounder.  Same mistake as the Broncos last year who had to pay more than they'd like to keep Anderson.

Maybe the Steelers would rather have the 4th rounder.  I think they believe he's easily replaceable, possibly evidenced by the number of FA corners they've brought in over the last couple of weeks.  The fact that none of them signed might have them re-thinking this decision, but I think it's clear that they feel an upgrade is needed at that spot.
Honestly, if the team making an offer picks in the top 10 of the 4th round, we might end up getting a better CB... This draft class is very, very deep.

Users who are viewing this thread