What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: C.J. Spiller, RB, Buffalo Bills (1 Viewer)

Now that CJ is fully healthy, is he a must start this week over Freddy?

Yeah I doubt CJ will get any goal line carries but he might break a long one for a TD no?
I own both and was gonna start both but changed my mind and am gonna start Mike James over Fred.

With both Spiller and Fred your hoping for one or the other, TD for Fred or Long-### run for Spiller.

I'm just rolling the dice with Spiller because I know if I didnt play him and he went off I'd be more upset than if I hadn't played Fred and he went off......

Start your studs....

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta ask the Bills fans here... was Spiller a liability on passing downs as a blocker during the Chan Gailey years? It feels like Marrone and company are frightened to have him in there on passing downs (like he's so bad that his open field running skills don't even matter)

The coaches there talk about him like he's some superstar, but their usage of him resembles how you'd treat a rookie RB.
He is definitely not a blocking liability on passing downs, but Fred Jackson is very, very good at picking up blitzes. Spiller is fine at it; Fred excels at it, IMO.

Coach Doug Marrone said he's excited to get C.J. Spiller more touches after he was removed from the injury report Wednesday.
Spiller's ankle injury is "behind him," and the Bills appear ready to unleash him. Marrone says Spiller's usage is still a "matter of game plan," but look for him to improve on his 11.6 touches-per-game average from the past three games. Spiller averaged 18.75 touches per game the first four weeks before going down in Week 5. He's squarely back on the high-end RB2 radar. Nov 6 - 2:03 PM
Source: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter
He's been firmly on my bench for several weeks now. Could be time to add him in this week.
im leavin him on the bench until i see 2 weeks in a row of solid production
Same. Sure, he played well against the Chiefs, but I still saw things that concern me, namely Spiller hobbling to the sideline far too often for my taste. Playing Terrance Williams in my flex this week over Spiller.

ahartig said:
LargeMouthBass said:

Yeah I doubt CJ will get any goal line carries but he might break a long one for a TD no?
I own both and was gonna start both but changed my mind and am gonna start Mike James over Fred.

With both Spiller and Fred your hoping for one or the other, TD for Fred or Long-### run for Spiller.

I'm just rolling the dice with Spiller because I know if I didnt play him and he went off I'd be more upset than if I hadn't played Fred and he went off......

Start your studs....
FJax is the #8 RB in my league.. who is the stud here?

ahartig said:
LargeMouthBass said:

Start your studs....
:fishing:

How is that fishing? Spiller has been anything but a stud this year, so he doesn't deserve the "never bench your studs" treatment, especially since he is a) 50/50 to get dinged up and leave hurt again, and b) going against a proud Steelers defense that is gonna wanna bounce back after last week's debacle at NE.

ahartig said:
LargeMouthBass said:

Start your studs....
So you are sitting a top 10 RB for Spiller? You asked the question, then accuse the responses of fishing. :lmao:

How is that fishing? Spiller has been anything but a stud this year, so he doesn't deserve the "never bench your studs" treatment, especially since he is a) 50/50 to get dinged up and leave hurt again, and b) going against a proud over the hill Steelers defense that is gonna wanna bounce back after last week's debacle at NE.
fyp

You Jackson guys go ahead and start him with confidence. It will be hard for him to score from the sideline though.

How is that fishing? Spiller has been anything but a stud this year, so he doesn't deserve the "never bench your studs" treatment, especially since he is a) 50/50 to get dinged up and leave hurt again, and b) going against a proud Steelers defense that is gonna wanna bounce back after last week's debacle at NE.
I agree that he isn't a stud, but it is hard to bench top talent against a weak defense when they are healthy.

All depends on your team though. If you have a strong lineup otherwise,you roll the dice on his upside.

Deciding between Spiller or Antonio Brown at my flex position. With high winds expected in Pittsburgh I'm tempted to go Spiller.

It's too bad people are still hanging onto the idea that success in the Buffalo backfield has to be mutually exclusive, both backs are capable of having good games simultaneously since Buffalo plans on running the ball at least 30 times a game.

ahartig said:
LargeMouthBass said:

Start your studs....
:grad:

This guy is close to being in Trent category. How can you trust starting him?
Not even close to comparable IMO. Trent hasn't been hurt like Spiller has, and Spiller has at least shown the ability to have higher than 3.0YPC this year. Spiler has had bright spots this season--Trent has not. Although I agree that he either is hard to trust in general.

This guy is close to being in Trent category. How can you trust starting him?
Not even close to comparable IMO. Trent hasn't been hurt like Spiller has, and Spiller has at least shown the ability to have higher than 3.0YPC this year. Spiler has had bright spots this season--Trent has not. Although I agree that he either is hard to trust in general.
At least with Richardson you know 100% that he needs to sit on the bench.

I'm done with him. I'm going to see about packaging him up in a trade, but really, I'm about ready to kick him to the wires right now. I don't care that he's capable of so much more, the fact is that after 10 weeks, he's not producing. I don't care what the excuses are anymore, I don't care if it's his injury or the coaching or the play calling or the offensive line or anything else. I hung on for over two months, and I'm ####### done.

I'm done with him. I'm going to see about packaging him up in a trade, but really, I'm about ready to kick him to the wires right now. I don't care that he's capable of so much more, the fact is that after 10 weeks, he's not producing. I don't care what the excuses are anymore, I don't care if it's his injury or the coaching or the play calling or the offensive line or anything else. I hung on for over two months, and I'm ####### done.
This. It's a fantasy lineup. Doesn't matter what his "talent" is, his situation sucks for every reason danielmclark pointed out.

Thank god Ridley is playing better and Brown is back from injury. Ill sit spiller until Jackson gets hurt or he proves he can be consistent.

I traded him away 2 weeks ago in my dyno. He had a bad contract for a guy producing like a low end rb3. Felt great to cut bait.

Really surprised at the defensive effort by the Steelers yesterday. They have been putrid against the run and I was expecting a big day from Spiller and Jackson. It really helped that EJ Manuel was so bad -- the Steelers could focus on shutting down the run cause the QB was awful.

I picked a bad week to start Spiller over Sproles. :wall:

By far the biggest headache I've had in my FF career ( 12 yrs). This guy is absolutly unstartable

I don't know if he's afraid of contact up the middle or his vision has just regressed a ton, but if you want to know why he sucks this year and why he got benched this past week, go check the Twitter feed of @JoeBuscaglia

Spiller is missing wide open holes in the middle of the line and trying to bounce everything outside. It's ridiculous.

HC Moron says that Spiller wasn't limited because of injury....implying that it's just cuz he's not good.

Source: The Buffalo News - Jay Skurski

Buffalo Bills RB C.J. Spiller (ankle) was on the field for only 22 of the team's 67 offensive snaps during the team's Week 10 game, but head coach Doug Marrone said Spiller was not limited because of his ankle injury. Marrone said the team planned to use RB Fred Jackson more during the game and that Spiller's playing time will vary from week to week.

With all the injured WRs, they should give Spiller some snaps at WR just to have him in the game. His hands can't possibly be worse than TJ Graham's... Or put him in to return some kickoffs... ANything is better than just let him sit on the sidelines. Highly doubt it though, Marrone seems intent on making Spiller conform to his offense instead of drawing up plays that cater to his strengths.

HC Moron says that Spiller wasn't limited because of injury....implying that it's just cuz he's not good.

Buffalo Bills RB C.J. Spiller (ankle) was on the field for only 22 of the team's 67 offensive snaps during the team's Week 10 game, but head coach Doug Marrone said Spiller was not limited because of his ankle injury. Marrone said the team planned to use RB Fred Jackson more during the game and that Spiller's playing time will vary from week to week.
He's 100% right. If you're calling Marrone a moron, you'd better back it up. www.twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia has an excellent breakdown of Spiller's early carries all showing HUGE holes the O-line opened up in the middle and every single time Spiller tried to take it outside instead and got tackled for losses or no gains. That's totally unacceptable and absolute grounds for benching.

He's 100% right. If you're calling Marrone a moron, you'd better back it up. www.twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia has an excellent breakdown of Spiller's early carries all showing HUGE holes the O-line opened up in the middle and every single time Spiller tried to take it outside instead and got tackled for losses or no gains. That's totally unacceptable and absolute grounds for benching.
I don't think that absolves Marrone of responsibility. The job of a coach is to determine what his players excel at, and putting them in the best position to succeed. If he knows spiller has a tendency to bounce runs outside all the time, then why repeatedly slam him into the middle of the line? Why wasn't he aware of this in training camp and why haven't necessary adjustments been made? Would I be a moron if I insisted on throwing fades to Welker in the end zone or deep bombs to Boldin asking that he outrun the defense?

Spiller isn't good at running between the tackles. He's good in space. How many screen passes have they thrown him this year? I'm not an NFL coach but I stayed at a Holiday Inn and I knew that.

I looked at Buscaglia's screen shots and while I see the holes that Spiller didn't take, you also have to realize that these are stills are Spiller is already moving in another direction when those other holes are opening. And based on those stills, it does look like there is potential for plays on the outside... the same types of plays that we've seen him make for huge gains the last couple years. The bottom line is that the coaching staff needs to be patient with a homerun back like Spiller.

Start your studs....
Neither, too ambiguous to trust anything that comes out of that head coaches mouth. I wouldn't start Jackson or Spiller this game unless I really had no other options.

Users who are viewing this thread