What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Playoff Scenario Calculator (1 Viewer)

THIS.IS.AWESOME!

My version -

AFC:

1. TEN

2. NYJ

3. PIT vs 6. BAL

4. DEN vs 5. IND

NFC:

1. NYG

2. CAR

3. ARI vs 6. ATL

4. GB vs 5. TB

Those wildcard games would be pretty great matchups IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much as I don't like suggesting we lose a game, the 6th seed would get us Arizona in the first round. Not that they're cupcakes (esp in Ari), but I would consider them the weakest team in the playoffs.

My interesting revelation - I can't come up with a realistic scenario where DAL gets into the playoffs. If they can beat NYG I think they'll make it, but lets face it that's not realistic.

The Man with the Plan said:
It's good. I just wish there were some way for it to take upsets into account. Things never happen the way people think they will in the NFL.
All you have to do is select the teams you think will win each week. Link your own "upset" version for us....

PatrickT said:
Much as I don't like suggesting we lose a game, the 6th seed would get us Arizona in the first round. Not that they're cupcakes (esp in Ari), but I would consider them the weakest team in the playoffs.
Looks like it verified that the Falcs win the Tie over the Panthers... :rolleyes:

puckalicious said:
My interesting revelation - I can't come up with a realistic scenario where DAL gets into the playoffs. If they can beat NYG I think they'll make it, but lets face it that's not realistic.
Why is that?

puckalicious said:
I noticed that too...looks like the Skins would win a 10-6 tiebreaker over Dallas and Atl/Car.Big D needs 11 wins, then some help...although it does look like they win the tiebreaker over Car.

puckalicious said:
I noticed that too...looks like the Skins would win a 10-6 tiebreaker over Dallas and Atl/Car.Big D needs 11 wins, then some help...although it does look like they win the tiebreaker over Car.
...and Tampa Bay.

puckalicious said:
...and Tampa Bay.
Right...but in a 3-way tie, CAR gets left out.

i have CAR as the odd man out in the NFC (and NE in AFC)

and that is after winning Mon against TB

Also, don't give up on ARZ getting a bye

At 5-8 and three games out of first, you'd think GB would be dead in the water. And while it's a longshot, they can still win the division:

Minnesota must lose all three games -- @Ari, Atl, NYG. Those three games are all tough, and after last year, I sort of doubt the Giants rest their starters in week 17.

Green Bay must win all its games -- but two of them are easy (Jax, Det) and the other is against the Bears. If GB beats Chicago, the Packers are in if the Bears then lose to either NO or to HOU.

At 5-8 and three games out of first, you'd think GB would be dead in the water. And while it's a longshot, they can still win the division:Minnesota must lose all three games -- @Ari, Atl, NYG. Those three games are all tough, and after last year, I sort of doubt the Giants rest their starters in week 17.Green Bay must win all its games -- but two of them are easy (Jax, Det) and the other is against the Bears. If GB beats Chicago, the Packers are in if the Bears then lose to either NO or to HOU.
I think the Vikes are in really tough shape in the suspension for the Williams boys starts this week. If they miss time then I could easily see them lose all 3 games.. Although the Giants may not have anything to play for in Week 17..

My updated calculator. I'm not good at picking games, but this thing is too fun.

link

AFC

1 titans 13-3

2 steelers 12-4

6 11-5 Ravens at 3 11-5 Dolphins

5 12-4 Colts at 4 10-6 Broncos

NFC

1 giants 13-3

2 panthers 12-4

6 10-5-1 eagles at 3 10-6 cardinals

5 11-5 buccaneers at 4 10-6 vikings

jets, patriots, cowboys all miss.

week 15

saints at bears - bears

buccaneers at falcons - falcons

titans at texans - titans

redskins at bengals - redskins

seahawks at rams - rams

packers at jaguars - jaguars

niners at dolphins - dolphins

lions at colts - colts

chargers at chiefs - chargers

bills at jets - jets

vikings at cardinals - cardinals

broncos at panthers - panthers

patriots at raiders - patriots

steelers at ravens - ravens

giants at cowboys - giants

browns at eagles - eagles

Looking dim for the Pats. Even if they win out they need the following to happen:

The Pats lose a 3-way die with NYJ and MIA. MIA or NYJ to both lose a game. They play each other in Week 17. The Jets play BUF and @SEA. The Phins play SF and @KC. Pats would win the AFC East in this scenario. Depending upon who the losses are to, NE could win a 2 team tiebreaker against either the Jets or Dolphins, but if neither of those teams loses a game other than the NJY/MIA game the Pats would lose a tie break situation. For example, if NE lost to ARI, MIA lost to SF, NYJ lost to BUF, MIA beat NYJ Pats would be AFC East champs.

IND or BAL to lose 2 games. The Colts face DET, @JAC, TEN. The Ravens face PIT, @DAL, JAC. Pats would win a WC if this happened.

Also, if PIT lost their last 3 that would give NE a WC.

None of these look exceedingly likely to happy, and given their injuries the Pats winning out also is starting to look iffy.

I'm loving this tool, and everybody's projections. I'll list mine. After it, if you care, I'll post my playoff scenarios too. *** updated from pre-week 14

NFC Champ = Giants -- AFC Champ = Steelers

NFC

1. Giants (13-3)

2. Bucs (12-4)

3. Cards (10-6)

4. Pack (8-8)

5. Panthers (11-5)

6. Eagles (10-5-1)

AFC

1. Titans (13-3)

2. Steelers (12-4)

3. Jets (11-5)

4. Donkeys (8-8)

5. Colts (12-4)

6. Ravens (12-4)

AFC Scenario

The Jets are able to sling it around the field on Baltimore, knocking them out of the playoffs only to have Favre go down in flames to Woodley & Harrison. I see the Sleeping Giant that is the Colts offense coming alive down the stretch & into the playoffs, rolling the Donkeys in Denver, then winning in Tennessee before the kicker that broke every teams' hearts lets the Colts down in Heinz Field.

NFC Scenario

In the NFC, ARIZONA HAS A HOME PLAYOFF GAME!!!... to no avail as the Eagles keep Warner off the field for most of the game. Sorry Donovan, you're no match for the Giants the following week. Carolina easily does in the Pack with over 230 rushing yards, and handles the Bucs the following week. Carolina at the New York Giants is a matchup I want to see.

Super Bowl

Roethlisberger is tormented all game long, giving the Giants offense some short-field opportunities. Ben manages a meaningless 4th quarter TD to bring the final score to 30-17. Repeat Super Bowl Champs.

I can't find a scenario where the Buccaneers beat the Falcons this week and miss the playoffs.

It would mean at best the Falcons could tie the Buccaneers in the standings at 10-6, and the Bucs would have swept them. I used the yahoo scenario calculator to make the bucs, vikings, bears, redskins, and cowboys all 10-6 and the bucs still would get a wild card. I tried the bucs, vikings, bears, cowboys all at 10-6 and the eagles at 10-5-1 and the bucs are still a wild card. I then tried the ultimate logjam of bucs, falcons, vikings, bears and cowboys at 10-6, with the eagles at 10-5-1, and the bucs still get the wild card. I could make the Cowboys finish 11-5 to finish ahead of the bucs outright, but that means the Eagles finish 9-6-1 and the bucs still are a wild card.

Only the Cowboys, Eagles and Vikings can finish better than 10-6. If the Vikings get 11 wins, they are division champs so they don't matter to the Bucs playoff chances. The Cowboys or Eagles can finish better than 10-6, but not both. And the Bucs seem to hold every single tiebreaker with any team that finishes at 10-6.

Looking dim for the Pats. Even if they win out they need the following to happen:The Pats lose a 3-way die with NYJ and MIA. MIA or NYJ to both lose a game. They play each other in Week 17. The Jets play BUF and @SEA. The Phins play SF and @KC. Pats would win the AFC East in this scenario. Depending upon who the losses are to, NE could win a 2 team tiebreaker against either the Jets or Dolphins, but if neither of those teams loses a game other than the NJY/MIA game the Pats would lose a tie break situation. For example, if NE lost to ARI, MIA lost to SF, NYJ lost to BUF, MIA beat NYJ Pats would be AFC East champs.IND or BAL to lose 2 games. The Colts face DET, @JAC, TEN. The Ravens face PIT, @DAL, JAC. Pats would win a WC if this happened.Also, if PIT lost their last 3 that would give NE a WC.None of these look exceedingly likely to happy, and given their injuries the Pats winning out also is starting to look iffy.
It probably depends on how consistent the Dolphins, Jets, and Patriots can be. The Jets and Dolphins could both finish 9-7, meaning the Patriots only need to win any 2 of their final 3 to win the East. The Jets just lost to the 49ers so who really knows where their heads are at right now.

Looking dim for the Pats. Even if they win out they need the following to happen:The Pats lose a 3-way die with NYJ and MIA. MIA or NYJ to both lose a game. They play each other in Week 17. The Jets play BUF and @SEA. The Phins play SF and @KC. Pats would win the AFC East in this scenario. Depending upon who the losses are to, NE could win a 2 team tiebreaker against either the Jets or Dolphins, but if neither of those teams loses a game other than the NJY/MIA game the Pats would lose a tie break situation. For example, if NE lost to ARI, MIA lost to SF, NYJ lost to BUF, MIA beat NYJ Pats would be AFC East champs.IND or BAL to lose 2 games. The Colts face DET, @JAC, TEN. The Ravens face PIT, @DAL, JAC. Pats would win a WC if this happened.Also, if PIT lost their last 3 that would give NE a WC.None of these look exceedingly likely to happy, and given their injuries the Pats winning out also is starting to look iffy.
It probably depends on how consistent the Dolphins, Jets, and Patriots can be. The Jets and Dolphins could both finish 9-7, meaning the Patriots only need to win any 2 of their final 3 to win the East. The Jets just lost to the 49ers so who really knows where their heads are at right now.
After yesterday, the updated playoff scenarios for the Pats (assuming the Pats win out):To win the AFC East: MIA or NYJ would have to lose next week. NYJ at SEA. MIA @ KC. The team that LOST in Week 16 would need to WIN in Week 17 (MIA @ NYJ). If both teams lost next week (unlikely), then Pats would win.To win a wildcard slot: BAL would need to lose @DAL or vs JAX. Or IND would have to lose both their remaining games @JAX and vs TEN.Although not 100% sure, if the Pats end up 10-6 they could only make the playoffs if the Ravens lost their last 2 games. NE would hold the tiebreaker in a 2-way tiebreaker for the wildcard with the Dolphins at 10-6.In Week 16, if MIA, NYJ, and BAL win and NE loses, I believe the Pats would be out of playoff consideration.If all 3 teams (NYJ, MIA, NE) lose in Week 16 and NE beats BUF and MIA beats NYJ in Week 17, Pats would win AFC East.

In Week 16, if MIA, NYJ, and BAL win and NE loses, I believe the Pats would be out of playoff consideration.
In practice, probably, but they can still get in with a win if:(a) Baltimore loses to Jax in week 17or, less likely,(b) Miami-Jets finish in a tie

After yesterday, the updated playoff scenarios for the Pats (assuming the Pats win out):To win the AFC East: MIA or NYJ would have to lose next week. NYJ at SEA. MIA @ KC. The team that LOST in Week 16 would need to WIN in Week 17 (MIA @ NYJ). If both teams lost next week (unlikely), then Pats would win.To win a wildcard slot: BAL would need to lose @DAL or vs JAX. Or IND would have to lose both their remaining games @JAX and vs TEN.Although not 100% sure, if the Pats end up 10-6 they could only make the playoffs if the Ravens lost their last 2 games. NE would hold the tiebreaker in a 2-way tiebreaker for the wildcard with the Dolphins at 10-6.In Week 16, if MIA, NYJ, and BAL win and NE loses, I believe the Pats would be out of playoff consideration.If all 3 teams (NYJ, MIA, NE) lose in Week 16 and NE beats BUF and MIA beats NYJ in Week 17, Pats would win AFC East.
The Steelers helped out the Patriots tremendously by beating the Ravens. Right now I have the Ravens losing to the Cowboys and the Patriots winning their last 2, which gets them in. These days it seems that all that matters is who is hottest at the end, and the Patriots could be very dangerous if they got in because they are starting to play very impressively. I wouldn't want to draw them.

The Steelers helped out the Patriots tremendously by beating the Ravens. Right now I have the Ravens losing to the Cowboys and the Patriots winning their last 2, which gets them in. These days it seems that all that matters is who is hottest at the end, and the Patriots could be very dangerous if they got in because they are starting to play very impressively. I wouldn't want to draw them.
Certainly anything can happen, but the Pats are so banged up that I would be surprised if they could win more than 1 playoff game. If NE does make the playoffs, it's starting to look like they would play NYJ or MIA (both winnable games). But I think they would struggle to beat TEN, PIT, or IND on the road at this point.

Certainly anything can happen, but the Pats are so banged up that I would be surprised if they could win more than 1 playoff game. If NE does make the playoffs, it's starting to look like they would play NYJ or MIA (both winnable games). But I think they would struggle to beat TEN, PIT, or IND on the road at this point.
Except the Patriots have overcome injuries a few times before. I think everyone counted them out in 2001 when Bledsoe went down. I think a lot of people counted them out when they had to play Troy Brown on defense in 04 because they had to put Law and Pool on IR. Just saying. They are simply playing their best ball now and getting hot at the end seems so important. Look at the Giants of last year, or the Colts in 06, or the Steelers in 05.

I still think 10-6 won't be good enough in the NFC for a wild card. I'm rooting for Minnesota and SD next week.

Wow, I'm shocked to see that the Vikings can still get the #2 seed in the NFC. Wow. Hell, for that matter, the way I see the next 2 weeks breaking down, the Panthers grad the #1 seed and Vikings #2. Man, that'd be a topsy turvy switcharoo.

Do you have any other "realistic" thoughts???
Well in my defense I said that BEFORE all the burress fallout happened. This seems to be a significant team distraction as they have looked really bad the last 2 weeks.So with 2 weeks of fresh data before my eyes it still looks difficult for DAL to make the playoffs. They probably won't make it unless they win out. And they have BAL and PHI remaining. If DAL loses a game, they need TB or ATL to lose a game also. TB has SD and OAK remaining, ATL has MIN and STL remaining.

Dallas' season could come down to week 17 at PHI - win and they're in, lose and PHI gets in instead.

Link

ETA: corrected TB's schedule.

Do you have any other "realistic" thoughts???
Well in my defense I said that BEFORE all the burress fallout happened. This seems to be a significant team distraction as they have looked really bad the last 2 weeks.So with 2 weeks of fresh data before my eyes it still looks difficult for DAL to make the playoffs. They probably won't make it unless they win out. And they have BAL and PHI remaining. If DAL loses a game, they need TB or ATL to lose a game also. TB has KC and OAK remaining, ATL has MIN and STL remaining.

Dallas' season could come down to week 17 at PHI - win and they're in, lose and PHI gets in instead.

Link
That should be SD in week 16 for TB (not KC).I have been following this closely (as an Eagles fan) and was not happy to see ATL beat TB yesterday. The Eagles need to win out and have TB or ATL lose one of the 4 games those teams still has to play. It would appear that this week's ATL@MIN is the best chance for that happening since the other 3 games to be played all have ATL/TB at home with more than winnable games. That would be great if ATL loses this week (making the DAL/BAL game this week essentially meaningless for DAL) and then the DAL/PHI game in week 17 would be for the last remaining playoff spot (assuming PHI gets by CLE/WSH).

Users who are viewing this thread