What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please Help Joe Pick An MLS Team (1 Viewer)

The flops have always been a deal breaker for me. Are there any teams sort of known for not doing any of that? Serious question.

:shrug:

Are there any sports known for not flopping?
In the NFL some teams are known for more elaborate end zone celebrations, some are know for various shtick  :shrug:  I know zero about MLS so I'm guessing players on all the teams flop.  :kicksrock:

ETA: Google ads is now convinced I've become the biggest MLS fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Joe, you have to wait a year.

Although we have UT sports, Austin is currently the 11th biggest city by population, and the largest without a professional sports team. That changes next year with Austin FC. They will play about 15 minutes from my house, and plan to make our household fans. Although it’s hard to imagine especially here and now with our particularly bad COVID situation, will contemplate season tickets.
If you’re interested in staying up with the latest on the team, check our the Capital Soccer Show, Austin’s highest rated soccer podcast. It’s hosted by Landon Cotham and some guy named Bentley.

This was the last MLS national TV match before everything shut down.

Anyone who watched this game live, and then were told that MLS is only ever going to be “AA” would just shake their heads.  They are (were?) clearly on the right trajectory as a league.  This was as exciting as any match I’ve ever watched.

if you watch nothing else in this video, make sure you see the Jacob Glesnes rocket from 35 yards at the 2:30 mark.  As good as any free kick goal you’ll ever see by anyone in any league.  And it was hit by a center back.
:goodposting:

Dont let the nerds suck you into the MLS vs Europe garbage, Joe. 

Also the “no FC” thing is a weird qualifier.
I mean... the "S" in MLS is for "Soccer", not football.  I think it is a great line in the sand for a potential fan... who do these FC clubs think they are fooling?

I mean... the "S" in MLS is for "Soccer", not football.  I think it is a great line in the sand for a potential fan... who do these FC clubs think they are fooling?
And the website is mlssoccer.com. Major League Soccer Soccer? Come on now.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
If you’re interested in staying up with the latest on the team, check our the Capital Soccer Show, Austin’s highest rated soccer podcast. It’s hosted by Landon Cotham and some guy named Bentley.
I’ve never seen a MLS game, but being new to Austin and no other professional sports, count me in as an Austin FC fan. 

I may be biased, but I would root for Sporting Kansas City.

1. They play a fun and attacking style. They should be one of the better teams in this tournament, so the odds of advancement are high.

2. Their coach and technical director, Peter Vermes, has been one of the leaders in helping MLS get this thing off the ground with a lot of behind the scenes work. 

3. They are based in Kansas City, which is home to arguably the best BBQ in the world.

4. The fan base has sold out their new stadium for years.

5. They are a great community asset in that they are very visible at charity functions and giving a lot of their time and money to organizations in town.

6. Boulevard Beer is a sponsor and has plenty available at the stadium.

7. They are very supporting of the local teams. Patrick Mahomes has been known to come to the games and be right in the crowd with the other crazy fans.

Their logo.
Dis-qualifier, IMO.  Even couching it with arguably.😀

Anyone who watched this game live, and then were told that MLS is only ever going to be “AA” would just shake their heads.  They are (were?) clearly on the right trajectory as a league.  This was as exciting as any match I’ve ever watched.

if you watch nothing else in this video, make sure you see the Jacob Glesnes rocket from 35 yards at the 2:30 mark.  As good as any free kick goal you’ll ever see by anyone in any league.  And it was hit by a center back.
Man, I forgot what a good game that was.  Union has a solid team this year.  

Well, there’s a lot of people that still love college football despite it being a much inferior product to the NFL. :shrug:
Pretty poor example. College offenses are more varied/exciting and the atmosphere is generally better than NFL which in some cases makes for a more entertaining product even if the talent is far inferior. MLS doesn’t have either of those going for them compared to the EPL. And MLS are professionals where college is (allegedly) amateur. 

That said, not really trying to compare mls to EPL. It doesn’t make sense to bother. 

There hasn't been a single Euro game since the restart as entertaining as this.  So much quality on both sides.  But damn, it seems like a lifetime ago GB :(

And I miss crowds :(

Crowds like we see in LA and Portland have so much better atmosphere than your average EPL game.  Although as we know, nothing can touch the Bundesliga for atmosphere outside of maybe a derby game in Argentina.

Dis-qualifier, IMO.  Even couching it with arguably.😀
I wasn't going to go there. I'm a peace maker, after all.

Plus, I had my Nashville buddies saying that since I wasn't choosing the Nashville MLS team, that it must mean I was disavowing BBQ.

As if Nashville has anything to do with BBQ. Then I felt bad and apologized as I know lots of hard working people work in the BBQ restaurants in Nashville...

But yes, let's say that even though I love Arthur Bryants on Brooklyn Ave, the BBQ for KC won't be a factor. We're talking about a city where some people go gaga over a BBQ sandwich that's brisket and cheese on a kaiser roll. 

We're talking about a city where some people go gaga over a BBQ sandwich that's brisket and cheese on a kaiser roll. 
Don't forget the onion ring.  :headbang:

We got tired of doing all the other stuff awesome so we created another BBQ thing that was awesome. 

Pretty poor example. College offenses are more varied/exciting and the atmosphere is generally better than NFL which in some cases makes for a more entertaining product even if the talent is far inferior. MLS doesn’t have either of those going for them compared to the EPL. And MLS are professionals where college is (allegedly) amateur. 

That said, not really trying to compare mls to EPL. It doesn’t make sense to bother. 
I won't argue the atmopshere (I don't totally understand why people get so fired up but sure) but the bold is crazy town. 

NewlyRetired said:
There hasn't been a single Euro game since the restart as entertaining as this.  So much quality on both sides.  But damn, it seems like a lifetime ago GB :(

And I miss crowds :(

Crowds like we see in LA and Portland have so much better atmosphere than your average EPL game.  Although as we know, nothing can touch the Bundesliga for atmosphere outside of maybe a derby game in Argentina.
I'm missing my season tickets with free food and booze!

:kicksrock:

Zow said:
I won't argue the atmopshere (I don't totally understand why people get so fired up but sure) but the bold is crazy town. 
Can you elaborate on why you think that's crazy?

Zow said:
You are going to be in the vast minority on the "more varied/exciting" opinion.  In college you could go from playing an Air Raid offense one week to an option attack the next week to a more pro-style offense the next week.  It is unquestionably more varied.  You could argue the exciting offense is due more to defenses not being able to handle the variety, leading to higher scoring games, but there is a reason that the pros are now taking more collegiate concepts and incorporating them in the NFL (see KC).

Zow said:
Absolutely not. The spread offenses that are taking over the nfl are based off of college principles. I do think the college game lost something significant with nobody running the option now, but nfl is just 32 teams doing largely the same thing. I love the nfl but the style of play is inferior. Obviously talent and execution way better. 

Capella said:
Zow said:
Well, there’s a lot of people that still love college football despite it being a much inferior product to the NFL. :shrug:

At the same time, I had a blast watching the women's world cup last summer, where I think (nearly) everyone would agree the talent/level of play is far inferior to MLS or even college-level soccer in the US. Its really a subjective matter imo - to each his own.  I love going to the games for our local NPSL team, and they are probably not much better than the top high school teams in the soccer hotspots on the coasts.  The main problem I have with MLS is that there just aren't enough hours in the week for me to take the time to watch games with all the other things we normally have going on.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I’ll add that I went to an LAFC match last year and it was the best sports environment I’ve been a part of as a neutral, regardless of sport. It was insane and so much fun.

Absolutely not. The spread offenses that are taking over the nfl are based off of college principles. I do think the college game lost something significant with nobody running the option now, but nfl is just 32 teams doing largely the same thing. I love the nfl but the style of play is inferior. Obviously talent and execution way better. 
No.

Because the NFL is a far superior product. 
You’re either not understanding the point or you’re just being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. Nobody is claiming that college is a superior product on the field. 

Third option: I had copious amounts of wine. 

I see the point now. 
Makes sense. I think the NFL is a superior product but absolutely think college offenses can be more varied and sometimes exciting. It's been fun to watch how so much of the innovation in the NFL seems to have come from college. And how now it seems every year colleges are consistently delivering NFL offensive players, especially QBs and WRs who are ready to contribute. I remember when it seemed shocking that a Peyton Manning would start his rookie year. Now it seems like a given. Colleges have never been more fun for offense. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I may be biased, but I would root for Sporting Kansas City.

1. They play a fun and attacking style. They should be one of the better teams in this tournament, so the odds of advancement are high.

2. Their coach and technical director, Peter Vermes, has been one of the leaders in helping MLS get this thing off the ground with a lot of behind the scenes work. 

3. They are based in Kansas City, which is home to arguably the best BBQ in the world.

4. The fan base has sold out their new stadium for years.

5. They are a great community asset in that they are very visible at charity functions and giving a lot of their time and money to organizations in town.

6. Boulevard Beer is a sponsor and has plenty available at the stadium.

7. They are very supporting of the local teams. Patrick Mahomes has been known to come to the games and be right in the crowd with the other crazy fans.

Their logo.
I'm a Philly area guy so Union for me but I've also kinda adopted Sporting KC because the coach, Peter Vermes, grew up in my hometown and I played a little for his dad, Michael Vermes, who played pro for Budapest Honvéd FC.  It's an interesting family soccer history.

Vermes was born in Willingboro, New Jersey. He grew up in Delran Township, New Jersey and played high school soccer at Delran High School. He graduated in 1984, having scored 109 goals. In 1999, he was named by The Star-Ledger as one of the top ten New Jersey high school soccer players of the 1980s.

Users who are viewing this thread