What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Poll: Kevin Kolb - Probability he is the starter in 2009 (1 Viewer)

% chance

• 5%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10%

• 20%

• 30%

• 40%

• 50%

• 60%

• 70%

• 80%

• 90%

• 100%

• Total voters
Now jaws wasn't a future HOF'er like mcnabb is
Is McNabb really a future HOF'er? I'm not quite convinced.
He's not.
Got a 2025 sports almanac to share?Is he HOF bound right NOW? No.

Could he make the HOF? Most certainly YES. He has pretty good career stats to this point, and conceiveably has 5-6 more good years left in him. Elway wasn't a certain HOFer either until later in his career, AFTER winning a bowl.
Sorry, I can't let this go.After 9 seasons (1983 - 1991), Elway had 4 pro-bowl seasons, two all-pro seasons, one MVP, and three SB appearances, all while playing for an extremely conservative coach who stressed the running game and a stout D. (in 1993, the first year post-Reeves but before the Shanahan era, Elway's #'s exploded as he led the league in attempts, completions, and yards, and was second in TD's. I cite these numbers as evidence of what could have happened with a less conservative coach).

McNabb, by comparison, has been a pro-bowler 5x, never all-pro, one SB appearance, all while playing for a coach known for running the west coast offense and one of the most lop-sided run-pass ratios in the NFL.

McNabb is no Elway.
:thumbup: IMO Elway is one of the top 5 or so QBs to ever play, while McNabb is not on a HOF pace. They are not comparable IMO.

As far as the HOF discussion goes, one thing you have to look at is how players at the marquee skill positions get in at a much better clip than do other positions. I've read several articles on this topic. More QB's are looked at and considered than corners or outisde linebackers. This is actually kind of sad because you figure there are more premiere players at non-skill positions than QB (or RB or WR; but certainly QB) as there just aren't that many great QB's. I'd at least say if Donovan's career continued on its current course and he continues to rack up Pro Bowls and maybe makes a big game (and manages not to get injured too much) he'd at least be on a ballot. I'm less familiar with Football HOF voting than say baseball but in baseball you have some guys that never manage 20% of the vote the whole time they are on the ballot. I'd say a guy who could play into his late 30's and manage to be a Pro Bowler most of those years would get nominated; especially if he played QB. We love QB's. I don't think Donovan should be in but at this point his career is at least on par with a guy like Bert Byleven in baseball who's basically never going to garner enough votes but who's been on the ballot. But make no mistake, if the HOF is going to make a mistake, they're going to make their mistake putting a guy who doesn't belong in on a guy WHO IS A QB.

Kolb is this year's version of last year's Aaron Rodgers in the sense that he's a future starting QB available pretty cheap. Of course, he could also turn out to be this year's version of last year's Kellen Clemens or Brodie Croyle. I've read some positive notes about him though and I'm intrigued by his athletic skills and arm strength. He's a good guy to stash. He might not start in 2009, but he will eventually get a shot somewhere.

Forced to bet, I would say Kolb won't see the field until 2010, at the earliest, barring significant injury to McNabb.

McNabb has had an injury label, but he hasn't dealt with the nagging, repitive types of injuries. The label may be wrong.
:thumbup:
I disagree, he IS an injury risk. Only 3 times in his 9 year career has McNabb played a full 16-game schedule. he hasn't played a full 16-game schedule for 4 straight years now, and 5 out of the last 6 seasons..if ever there was a guy to be the poster boy for injuries , this side of Robert Smith, its D. McNabb..when he plays, he's good, his TD/int ratio is nearly 2:1..I'm not knocking his on the field performance, but he needs to stay on the field more . I would think one more significant injury by McNabb in 2008, one that forces him to miss 4+ games, will be his death sentence in Philly..

In 2009 it's entirely dependent upon McNabb's performance (and of course health). I'd say Kolb has a 5-10% chance of unseating McNabb as the starter this year barring injury to McNabb.

Kevin Kolb is a bust, Id go with the 0% option of unseating McNabb, guy stares down 1 WR and immediately forces into him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin Kolb is a bust, Id go with the 0% option of unseating McNabb, guy stares down 1 WR and immediately forces into him.
So, every great QB has come right into the NFL and lit it up?:fishing:Nice logic. I'll wait until he throws more than 10 passes before I write him off.

So, every great QB has come right into the NFL and lit it up?:thumbup:Nice logic. I'll wait until he throws more than 10 passes before I write him off.
The guy couldnt of looked any worse. Sure he could turn it around but so could Kellen Clemens, Drew Henson etc... You got to evaluate talent quickly and I just dont see it with Kolb think theres better options out there if you need help at QB.

In 2009 it's entirely dependent upon McNabb's performance (and of course health). I'd say Kolb has a 5-10% chance of unseating McNabb as the starter this year barring injury to McNabb.
5-10% is about 5-10% too high. Barring injury its zero

NorrisB said:
SproutDaddy said:
So, every great QB has come right into the NFL and lit it up?;)Nice logic. I'll wait until he throws more than 10 passes before I write him off.
The guy couldnt of looked any worse. Sure he could turn it around but so could Kellen Clemens, Drew Henson etc... You got to evaluate talent quickly and I just dont see it with Kolb think theres better options out there if you need help at QB.
:tfp: @ the snap judgments based upon a relief appearance (without, of course, the benefit of starting reps with the game plan) on the road against a ferocious Baltimore defense that already had the lead. I have no idea what Kolb will become as a player, but the people believing that they have enough of a basis to conclude one way or the other about Kolb's future at this point have lost their minds. I seem to recall (as a 'Skins fan) a disastrous relief appearance by a young Falcons QB in 1991 - his first pass was a horrific INT that may have been returned for a TD IIRC. The guy's name was Favre.

NorrisB said:
SproutDaddy said:
So, every great QB has come right into the NFL and lit it up?:)Nice logic. I'll wait until he throws more than 10 passes before I write him off.
:lmao: @ the snap judgments based upon a relief appearance (without, of course, the benefit of starting reps with the game plan) on the road against a ferocious Baltimore defense that already had the lead. I have no idea what Kolb will become as a player, but the people believing that they have enough of a basis to conclude one way or the other about Kolb's future at this point have lost their minds. I seem to recall (as a 'Skins fan) a disastrous relief appearance by a young Falcons QB in 1991 - his first pass was a horrific INT that may have been returned for a TD IIRC. The guy's name was Favre.
Not to mention that the rest of the offense gave up. Its not like McNabb got hurt and Kolb went in... the team just plain stuck that day and Reid hoped that a QB change would spark some life into them.I hope people start dropping him in my leagues this off-season.

NorrisB said:
SproutDaddy said:
So, every great QB has come right into the NFL and lit it up?:confused:Nice logic. I'll wait until he throws more than 10 passes before I write him off.
What are you talking about? Against Baltimore he did drive them down the field as good or better than McNabb could. He then threw a pick to the best S in the game. If he didn't throw the pick he probably starts the rest of last year. He did as much against Baltimore as Mcnabb could.

So, every great QB has come right into the NFL and lit it up?:shrug:Nice logic. I'll wait until he throws more than 10 passes before I write him off.
:lmao: @ the snap judgments based upon a relief appearance (without, of course, the benefit of starting reps with the game plan) on the road against a ferocious Baltimore defense that already had the lead. I have no idea what Kolb will become as a player, but the people believing that they have enough of a basis to conclude one way or the other about Kolb's future at this point have lost their minds. I seem to recall (as a 'Skins fan) a disastrous relief appearance by a young Falcons QB in 1991 - his first pass was a horrific INT that may have been returned for a TD IIRC. The guy's name was Favre.
:bag:

Users who are viewing this thread