What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pre-Diabetes. Just got diagnosed. (2 Viewers)

A 6.7 A1C is approx 140.

As others have mentioned, this is an average of the past 2-3 months, so it'll take time to move.

The American Diabetes Association suggests an A1C of 7%, which is an average glucose level of 154, so you are doing just fine.

Based on your numbers, it looks like you are making progress and the fact that you are so committed and the doctors not prescribing anything are positive indicators.

I was diagnosed with type 1 over 5 years ago. My A1C at diagnosis was 12+. One year later I was at 7.3 and have been in the 6.3-6.8 range and my doctor is totally fine. Last spring I spiked to 8.1 and got the stern talking to. It was a long, lazy winter in WI and I admit, I wasn't watching it as closely as I should.

There is benefits to being type 1 - I can still eat the breads & pasta, you just adjust and take more insulin.

Good luck with this.

Maurile Tremblay said:
More on honey from a paleo perspective.
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I've always enjoyed local honey, and it's nice to know that if I consume it, not only am I not cheating in my paleo diet, I may actually be getting a benefit.

But I have other, more psychological reasons to shun the honey. I believe the mind over matter aspect of training your taste buds is reason enough to avoid honey. You see, every time I have a cup of coffee with honey or even stevia, I get those sugar cravings. People walk around the office waving around maple bars and raised donuts in my face and the urge to get my sugar fix feels like what I imagine a crack addict would feel getting his next fix. But I drink dark, bitter, black coffee and my taste buds are fooled into not really missing the taste of sugar. If I were to have something as sweet as honey, I think my teeth would hurt. It's definitely a trade off giving up all sweets, but for me I have to give it up all the way or I won't be able to keep it up very long.

Alpha lipoic acid. 300mg, twice a day. And diet. I went from a 10.4 AIC to a 5.5 AIC in 3 months. Doctor said he'd never seen anything like that. I think it was the ALA. It does other good stuff for you too.

Alpha lipoic acid. 300mg, twice a day. And diet. I went from a 10.4 AIC to a 5.5 AIC in 3 months. Doctor said he'd never seen anything like that. I think it was the ALA. It does other good stuff for you too.
Wow - what else did you do? Also what brand of lipoic acid and how much was it? Thanks - can't wait to try it!

Wow - what else did you do? Also what brand of lipoic acid and how much was it? Thanks - can't wait to try it!
Avoided carbohydrates, went on a variety of diets, including a very low calorie diet. Lost about 20 pounds. The brand I usually use is by Source Naturals, you can get it on Amazon. It's not only good for diabetes, it is a powerful anti-oxidant, and it does some other things. It's produced by your body, but in very low amounts.

I told my aunt about it, since she was borderline diabetic. She said it not only brought her A1C down rapidly, it helped more than anything ever had with her chronic fatigue syndrome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avoided carbohydrates, went on a variety of diets, including a very low calorie diet. Lost about 20 pounds. The brand I usually use is by Source Naturals, you can get it on Amazon. It's not only good for diabetes, it is a powerful anti-oxidant, and it does some other things. It's produced by your body, but in very low amounts.
Thanks! Going to order some - are you on metformin? Any other problems - high blood pressure, high cholesterol or trigylcerides, etc and associated meds?

Thanks! Going to order some - are you on metformin? Any other problems - high blood pressure, high cholesterol or trigylcerides, etc and associated meds?
I was on metformin, and I did have high cholesterol. Now I'm not and I don't. I am completely cured of diabetes. I just don't have it anymore. And it's not the: I lost a ton of weight, but if I gain it back I might get it again kind of cured. The cholesterol is fine too. I'm not going to say that was all the ALA, because it didn't happen right away. I had about a year of normal A1C results, but I was still diabetic, ie if I ate a piece of chocolate cake my blood sugar would spike huge. But eventually, I returned to a normal insulin response, and now I don't even worry about it anymore. How this happened could be a combination of things, I'll list them below:

1. The ALA. I think it's a miracle drug.

2. I read a study done in England where they had put 11 people with type 2 diabetes on a very low calorie diet for 2 months. Their theory was that much like the liver, the pancreas can pick up excess fat. A VLCD diet causes the body to go into ketosis, and some of that fat burns away. They thought maybe the pancreas would start working properly again, and for like 7 of the people it did. I tried this diet off and on, it's hard to stick to.

3. I was a heavy drinker. My doctor theorized that my liver was probably inflamed. The pancreas is right next to the liver, it might have been inflamed too. The only problem with his theory is that I really hadn't quit drinking when it went away, although I had cut down.

I may just be a special case, maybe not. I do know that just by ruthlessly eliminating most carbs for a year gave me perfectly normal A1C results. Primal, Paleo or Atkins should all be fine, but watch out for carbs in any form. some diets will tell you a potato is ok, I don't think for diabetics it is.

If anyone wants to know anymore about the VLCD thing pm me, there are some tricks to it.

Regarding the post above, I'm skeptical but hopeful that I can "cure" my diabetes. As suggested in this thread I've been on the ALA as well as various other digestive cleaning aids. Added in liver cod oil capsules, milk thistle (occasionally), probiotics (20 billion count that must be refrigerated), vinegar capsules, and a multi-vitamin daily always in the mornings.

Going paleo's a lifestyle change and once you commit to it, the switch goes on and you really can't imagine going back to what it was like before. I had really let myself go. I can feel my flexibility and youth come back now that I've lost some of that weight.

I'm down 24 lbs now inside of 3 months since I was diagnosed. Doc asks me how I did it, and I just tell them go full paleo and workout like a beast every morning. Sounds easy, but it if it was truly easy, everyone would be doing it. I got a ways to go. I've plateaued on my weight the last 2 weeks, so it's going to be a steeper curve to lose the extra 20 lbs I want to lose.

Now I see people scarf down junk food and potato chips and it sickens me. I have to turn away. I was once like that. I can't believe I used to be that way. Never again...never again. In a way, I thank God I got diagnosed with diabetes. I needed the wake-up call.

I was diagnosed diabetic in the mid 00s. I was put on Metformin. I was pushing 300 lbs at 6'3". I was in the midst of a divorce, eating and drinking like a pig, not exercising but smoking a pack a day. I lost 100 pounds in 8 months and was also told my diabetes was cured, perfectly normal insulin sensitivity and pancreas function. I have remained that way for almost ten years. I shared this information in 09 or 10 in another thread here and was mocked and called a liar by some endocrine expert who guaranteed me I'd be back on meds and die on insulin. Wth? I never mentioned it again, but type 2 diabetes, caught early, has been seeing cures for over a decade. Most of the cures have been seen post weight loss surgery, lapbands, etc. That's not to say there is a cure, just that in some cases there can be. No ALA for me, but I did go all in on low carb paleo and have thanked Maurile more than once for his very earliest information about ancestral dieting.

What was your blood sugar? Did you fast appropriately before the test?

Also, did they check your thyroid levels and how did those look?
These are important questions.

It sounds like your doctor called for a blood test and you weren't expecting one so it's possible you hadn't fasted for 12 hours which can skew the results.

Also if a Thyroid work up wasn't part of the test that can be one possible root cause for elevated blood sugar levels.
I would like to know this too.
I am wondering about this now, too. I did mine in the afternoon, as I did not recall anyone saying anything about fasting. I was getting a comprehensive metabolic screening and glucose was on there. I got 125, which is high for fasting but apparently could be normal if non-fasting. My triglycerides were high though, which is the other thing that she was saying was an indicator. :shrug:
Glad that I had read this. My doc assumed that I had fasted appropriately. Regardless, I've been exercising just about every day and reduced carbs and meat greatly, while increasing fish, nuts, fruits and vegetables. I've lost about 23 pounds over the past 4 months. BP is lower. Blood glucose was 75 after fasting and A1C was 4.9. Glad to know that the diabetes is not actually an issue.

Based on your posting, I tried the same regimen. No noticeable change for me at all. Type 1 though.

Based on your posting, I tried the same regimen. No noticeable change for me at all. Type 1 though.
How long have you had it? What's your treatment plan and control like?

How long have you had it? What's your treatment plan and control like?
Diagnosed at age 40, which is abnormal for type 1. One of the reasons it's named as Juvenile Diabetes is that it's onset is usually much earlier in life @ age 20 or younger. I've had it for almost 6 years now.

I'll be honest, my doctor is a realist and as long as your control is good, he doesn't push for an aggressive treatment plan. I honestly changed very little to my day to day life-style. If I eat more carbs/sugars, I take more insulin. The first year was the most challenging in determining how much insulin to take with each meal. I was taking a blood sugar reading 8-10 times/day. You eyeball what you are eating and then determine how much insulin you need. Spaghetti with garlic bread is the worst.

A simple breakfast like eggs & bacon - you may not take any insulin as long as your blood sugars looked good prior to the meal. There is 0 carbs/sugar in the eggs or bacon. Add in a couple slices of toast and I may take 8 or so units. A heaping pile of spaghetti and garlic bread and I'll take around 30 units.

So, it was the learning curve and trial and error of how much insulin to take with every type of food. 6 years later and I check my blood sugars 2x/day. Once when I get up and again before dinner. I've overshot a few times and totally bottomed out on the blood sugar, but a quick glass of orange juice or a few cookies usually pull you out of that pretty quick. Those episodes freak me out a bit, but you can feel them coming. My legs start to tingle and I instantly go into a cold sweat and just feel totally drunk/stoned. Check the sugar level and yep, in the 30's or 40's.

Thankfully, my control has been good/consistent. It took a lot of work and homework that first year, but my levels are stable and A1C in the 6.5-7.2 range, which is still a bit high, but my doctor would rather be a touch high than low.

Just got my 3 1/2 month report card from my doc. Tells me I no longer am diabetic. I'm doing a double take, shaking my head. "say what?" Doc tells me that the numbers came back really good, much better than he'd hoped. My a1C came down from 6.7 to 5.7 and I lost 25 lbs. He told me that my liver damage is gone, and my body has essentially cured itself. I don't know how he knows this from reading some numbers on a report, but that's what he said. Even with the good news, I'm torn. I asked if a 5.7 a1C was considered high, and he said it was, but the 2 bad cholesterol numbers had come down drastically while the good cholesterol level got close to normal. Told me whatever I've been doing, to keep it up.

I feel like this diabetes scare is akin to being diagnosed an alcoholic. Once you are....you are. There's no running away from it. I have no plans to jump back on sweets and junk food. I don't miss it.

And just to encourage anyone out there, if I can do it...heck I think anyone can. And I eat bacon every morning and drink beer every night. So there...take that diabetes! ha!

I've posted a lot in the weight loss thread and others about losing weight - been "bad" for a few weeks - I know, I know, stupid. But nothing too over the top as I was still exercising some and I'm somewhat back at it with my diet. Thing is though - by chance I had two different blood sugar tests during this time - one had me at a 101 (borderline) and then a 111. I did fast for both but was in the midst of eating poorly. So, my question is - how much can a couple weeks impact those numbers? Because I ate everything on my vacation and then came back and started eating moderately but poorly (not watching carbs, more alcohol intake).

I've posted a lot in the weight loss thread and others about losing weight - been "bad" for a few weeks - I know, I know, stupid. But nothing too over the top as I was still exercising some and I'm somewhat back at it with my diet. Thing is though - by chance I had two different blood sugar tests during this time - one had me at a 101 (borderline) and then a 111. I did fast for both but was in the midst of eating poorly. So, my question is - how much can a couple weeks impact those numbers? Because I ate everything on my vacation and then came back and started eating moderately but poorly (not watching carbs, more alcohol intake).
If you are concerned, ask for an a1c test. That's the real measure that matters.

If you are concerned, ask for an a1c test. That's the real measure that matters.
When my doctor called me with the 2nd test result he had me come back in and do this test. Should know later today. I wasn't overly concerned because I had eaten pretty bad for a while but it did concern me that he had me come back for this. He said my testosterone and thyroid were fine. Total cholesterol was ok, triglycerides were good, HDL 53, LDL was like 131.

Got diagnosed this week - A1C: 12.1    Quite the wakeup call.  I am 40, 6'0 and my weight fluctuates between 200-220.  Was 208 at time of bloodwork.

I now have prescriptions for Metformin, Glipizide, and Simvistatin.  Think the first two are for the diabetes - the statin for cholesterol.  

Picked up a copy of Joel Fuhrman's "The End of Diabetes" - appears to be a basic diet and exercise plan - no fads or short cuts.

Hope to follow this pretty hardcore for 6 months and see where I am at Christmas.

Got diagnosed this week - A1C: 12.1    Quite the wakeup call.  I am 40, 6'0 and my weight fluctuates between 200-220.  Was 208 at time of bloodwork.

I now have prescriptions for Metformin, Glipizide, and Simvistatin.  Think the first two are for the diabetes - the statin for cholesterol.  

Picked up a copy of Joel Fuhrman's "The End of Diabetes" - appears to be a basic diet and exercise plan - no fads or short cuts.

Hope to follow this pretty hardcore for 6 months and see where I am at Christmas.
Good luck! You aren't really that much overweight, so hopefully if you lose some and get in better shape you will be fine. 12.1 is pretty darn high for A1C.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread but I'll say it again. My wife has(d) diabetes. She was similar to you in that she wasn't super overweight, but carried it all in her midsection. She used to take Metformin, but lost 20 lbs and now her blood sugar is perfect (never over 90 and usually about 75). Her AIC is totally normal now too. So it is very possible to kick this - avoid carbs and lose weight and exercise and hopefully you can get things under control.

Keep us posted.

How certain were they that you were type 2?  12.1 is really high. Like chop legs off in a few years high. 

Metformin won't do #### for you. The second doesn't seem to be in the range where you are.  

I would seek another doctor. Immediately. I would ask to be on Lantus and simulin. Tomorrow. 

I am seeing an endroconolgist. We are waiting on more test results and Type 1 is still a possibility.   He wanted me on something immediately.   Blood sugar testing is in the 220-300 range over the last 4 days. 

I am seeing an endroconolgist. We are waiting on more test results and Type 1 is still a possibility.   He wanted me on something immediately.   Blood sugar testing is in the 220-300 range over the last 4 days. 
Do you exercise regularly?

Nugget said:
This is concerning.  Have you ever seen anything in the realm of normal in that time frame.  What is your am sugar? 

How did you know something was wrong?  Did you lose a bunch of weight all of a sudden?

Rohn Jambo said:
Do you exercise regularly?
I haven't exercised much. Started playing adult soccer this year. Ran around with the kids while coaching . Will be exercising much more. 

This is concerning.  Have you ever seen anything in the realm of normal in that time frame.  What is your am sugar? 

How did you know something was wrong?  Did you lose a bunch of weight all of a sudden?
Nothing under 200 since I picked up the monitor on Tuesday.   

My weight has fluctuated between 200-220 over the past 15 years. Currently at 206. 

I had a physical in early April and the blood results led to the endocrinologist. It took me 2.5 months to get an appointment. Hope to get more info from them this coming week. 

Doc basically said:

What would you like to do:

_die sooner

_die later

how much do you like cake? 

What is an optimal A1C level?
5.7 or below seems to be good.  5.8-6.4 is defined as pre-diabetic.  6.5 signifies diabetes. 

So 12+ seems to be a bit off the scale :bag:   It would be cooler if this was the Offdee scale.

Good point. This could be Type 1. I agree with getting a second opinion ASAP.
Endocronologist called today.  Test results were a "gray area" regarding Type 1.  The main test they use came up negative but the results from a different test were much lower than expected.  They asked me to send them my blood sugar test results for the next week on July 5th.  I have dropped quite a bit over the last week based on diet, exercise, and the medicine - hard to know which is most effective.

Date

Time

Result

22-Jun

8:59

22-Jun

18:23

23-Jun

7:31

23-Jun

18:07

24-Jun

7:10

24-Jun

18:29

25-Jun

7:51

25-Jun

23:41

26-Jun

8:55

26-Jun

22:05

27-Jun

8:42

27-Jun

19:05

28-Jun

4:38

28-Jun

18:09

Endocronologist called today.  Test results were a "gray area" regarding Type 1.  The main test they use came up negative but the results from a different test were much lower than expected.  They asked me to send them my blood sugar test results for the next week on July 5th.  I have dropped quite a bit over the last week based on diet, exercise, and the medicine - hard to know which is most effective.
It's probably all helping but I'd be surprised if diet and exercise has that big of an effect after only a week. It's probably mostly the medication at this point. But those numbers below look awesome! Thus the trend you want to see no matter what the cause.

Diagnosed with pre-diabetes last week.  Got put on Metformin and it has been the worst week of my life.  Cold chills, The worst body aches from head to toe Ive ever had, overall weakness and dizziness. Doc recommended I start out with only one 500mg with meals and then go to 2 during week 2.  If its this bad the first week not sure I can stick with this.  From what Ive read on the net about this medication, lactic acidosis is fairly common, which seems like what Im experiencing.

Anyone else have bad experiences with Metforin? I try to walk more during the day at work on breaks than I did previously to try to eliminate the effects, but doesn't seem to help.  

Diagnosed with pre-diabetes last week.  Got put on Metformin and it has been the worst week of my life.  Cold chills, The worst body aches from head to toe Ive ever had, overall weakness and dizziness. Doc recommended I start out with only one 500mg with meals and then go to 2 during week 2.  If its this bad the first week not sure I can stick with this.  From what Ive read on the net about this medication, lactic acidosis is fairly common, which seems like what Im experiencing.

Anyone else have bad experiences with Metforin? I try to walk more during the day at work on breaks than I did previously to try to eliminate the effects, but doesn't seem to help.  
Very common.  It's best starting out to eat a diet high in mostly lean protein and non-starchy vegetables.  

You need to understand what it's doing to your body and why it's confused.  It works by slowing the ability of your liver to turn dietary protein into blood sugar.  Once your blood sugar starts to lower because you are now restricting this pathway it will fight it by trying alternative methods, including keto-acidosis like effects.  What you have is basically a mini keto-flu.

Stay hydrated and eat right.  Should take a couple weeks to push through.  If not there are more expensive versions that are better tolerated.

I didn't have any bad effects and ended up going off it a few years ago.   Seems like I might have to get back on it, if my a1c results are bad again in October.  :sadbanana:

Very common.  It's best starting out to eat a diet high in mostly lean protein and non-starchy vegetables.  

You need to understand what it's doing to your body and why it's confused.  It works by slowing the ability of your liver to turn dietary protein into blood sugar.  Once your blood sugar starts to lower because you are now restricting this pathway it will fight it by trying alternative methods, including keto-acidosis like effects.  What you have is basically a mini keto-flu.

Stay hydrated and eat right.  Should take a couple weeks to push through.  If not there are more expensive versions that are better tolerated.
Yea, makes sense. 

I had to take a couple ibuprofren tonight to get over the hump.  It helped subside the excruciating pain I was in all day.

A1C was 5.7 today.  More blood work tomorrow just to check on cholesterol, thyroid function, and a couple other things.  

A lot of walking with a weekly soccer game and some tennis sprinkled in.  Keto thread has been the basis of my diet - basically all carbs are coming from vegetables and nuts.  65-75% calories coming from fat.  Nothing but coffee and cream until lunch - usually between 12:30 and 2:30. 

If cholesterol is in decent shape I would like to kick the statin and stick with just metformin.  Hope to have more info next week. 

Mrs. Rannous said:
What medical school did you attend?
You think you need a M.D. to know a 12 A1c is really high?  Thats for all intents 3x the diagnosable level and represents a average glucose level up to 350.  

You think you need a M.D. to know a 12 A1c is really high?  Thats for all intents 3x the diagnosable level and represents a average glucose level up to 350.  
Nope.  It's more for this lovely stuff:  And I question the diagnosis and/or the treatment path.

And this:

Metformin won't do #### for you. The second doesn't seem to be in the range where you are.  

I would seek another doctor. Immediately. I would ask to be on Lantus and simulin. Tomorrow. 
If you want to be a doctor, actually go to med school.

Nope.  It's more for this lovely stuff:  And I question the diagnosis and/or the treatment path.

And this:

If you want to be a doctor, actually go to med school.
Culdeus bed-side manner (pun intended) may be poor but I think he's pretty educated on this stuff.  I think his wife has taken or does take metformin - not to mention he does say seek another opinion/doctor.

Culdeus bed-side manner (pun intended) may be poor but I think he's pretty educated on this stuff.  I think his wife has taken or does take metformin - not to mention he does say seek another opinion/doctor.
My wife is a life long Type 1 diabetic.  I'm extremely familiar with the treatment paths of both Type 1 and Type 2 as it also hit my maternal side of the family quite hard.  I keep up with every bit of research on the topic which is more than I can say for your average endo, whom as a general rule seem to be the bottom feeders of the medical profession.  

Users who are viewing this thread