What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pre-Diabetes. Just got diagnosed. (2 Viewers)

Down to 93 Fasting BS this morning.  this seems too crazy for just 2 weeks time.  Next 3 days if my average stays the same, I start dropping the insulin already.  

I've been on Metformin for a year or so
The 1000mg, is it two 500mg pills?  Maybe you could spread them out to make it easier.  I take a total of 4 500mg pills a day - two in the morning and two near dinner - I am not the best at remembering pills.

The 1000mg, is it two 500mg pills?  Maybe you could spread them out to make it easier.  I take a total of 4 500mg pills a day - two in the morning and two near dinner - I am not the best at remembering pills.
Yep 500mg pills. I may try splitting them up. Good idea.

Down to 93 Fasting BS this morning.  this seems too crazy for just 2 weeks time.  Next 3 days if my average stays the same, I start dropping the insulin already.  
Why? Insulin is fast acting.  That's sort of the point.  93 fasting is normal and fasting means your insulin has nearly certainly left your system (What kind is it BTW?).  

Why? Insulin is fast acting.  That's sort of the point.  93 fasting is normal and fasting means your insulin has nearly certainly left your system (What kind is it BTW?).  
Will check when I get home. I'm not sure it's crazy. I just have zero experience w this and was asking more or less. I didn't expect a drop so quickly is all. 

Will check when I get home. I'm not sure it's crazy. I just have zero experience w this and was asking more or less. I didn't expect a drop so quickly is all. 
No worries.  Blood sugar can swing very wildly.  For your situation the main thing to avoid is ensuring you do not overdose the insulin, and that you understand what dose of insulin to take with what meals.  It is important because an OD of Insulin is a very serious situation.  I'm still not clear on exactly what drug they put you on, which for a T2 can be just about anything.

No worries.  Blood sugar can swing very wildly.  For your situation the main thing to avoid is ensuring you do not overdose the insulin, and that you understand what dose of insulin to take with what meals.  It is important because an OD of Insulin is a very serious situation.  I'm still not clear on exactly what drug they put you on, which for a T2 can be just about anything.
I know it begins with an L and I'm doing 20 mg a day.  I'll be down to 17 mg a day if this level holds for the next 2 days

It's Lantus @culdeus

Oddly enough, in spite of the diet, my weight loss as slowed a bit which is a relief.  If you remember my first post here, I initially went to the Dr due to the rapid weight loss symptom.  In a normal week, eating as lightly as I have, I'd drop 8-10 lbs.  This week just 1.5 lbs.  So I'm very relieved at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Bender said:
I know it begins with an L and I'm doing 20 mg a day.  I'll be down to 17 mg a day if this level holds for the next 2 days

It's Lantus @culdeus

Oddly enough, in spite of the diet, my weight loss as slowed a bit which is a relief.  If you remember my first post here, I initially went to the Dr due to the rapid weight loss symptom.  In a normal week, eating as lightly as I have, I'd drop 8-10 lbs.  This week just 1.5 lbs.  So I'm very relieved at that.
What time do you take lantus?  They say lantus doesnt peak but it does. Need to be religious about when you take it. 

I'm encouraged you are on lantus. Ill be back with more in a bit. 

What time do you take lantus?  They say lantus doesnt peak but it does. Need to be religious about when you take it. 

I'm encouraged you are on lantus. Ill be back with more in a bit. 
No prob man.  I appreciate it. I take it with evening meal, which is usually my biggest meal as well.  Started on 20 mg a day and was asked to increase it by 3 ml if my 3 day average was over 120 (3 day average of fasting BS), if below 100 I can decrease it by 3 mg.  The goal is to have me off of insulin completely in 3-6 months and I seem to be well on my way if I keep it up.

Nugget said:
I use medisafe reminder on my phone to remind me to take blood pressure meds.

No prob man.  I appreciate it. I take it with evening meal, which is usually my biggest meal as well.  Started on 20 mg a day and was asked to increase it by 3 ml if my 3 day average was over 120 (3 day average of fasting BS), if below 100 I can decrease it by 3 mg.  The goal is to have me off of insulin completely in 3-6 months and I seem to be well on my way if I keep it up.
Ok, Lantus is insulin, but not in the same manner you would get from something like humalog.  It is long acting and meant to simulate the action you get in an insulin pump between 20-24 hours.  The main consideration as far as taking it is ensuring that you have coverage overnight as that is typically when blood sugars can fluctuate the most outside of the post meal time.

It's supposed to be a peak-less background insulin.  In fact, since the typical range of action of this is 20-24 hours you could be theoretically out of range if you are taking it before your biggest meal, though this is a smaller concern.  

In general Lantus is typically dosed two ways, right before bed, or split 50/50 every 12 hours at 9am/9pm.  The way you do it before a large meal in the evening might be the single only way you ever hear people say to not do it, which is sort of funny you chose to start like that, but still not anything to freak out about since you aren't a diagnosed Type 1 and probably make some insulin on your own.

https://www.lantus.com/hcp/about-lantus/action-profiles

There are some 48-72 hour long acting that are going to hit the market in the next few years to treat Type 2, primarily.  Some might be patch worn.  Not totally clear.  I wouldn't freak out about being on lantus, it's pretty benign all things considered.

Before raising/lowering your dose, contact your dr. and test 2hrs after each meal for a few days if not more frequently.  

Quick update:

Kicking this things ### so far.  Fasting BS readings are now in the 70s almost every morning.  They spiked back up to 100+ for a few days there but I found adding a walk after dinner helped a lot, so now I walk 35 minutes after dinner.

I've lost a ton of weight as well in a healthy manner going low carb.  I'm going to 17 units of insulin per day, and hoping when I see the Dr in 2 weeks we can drop the Metformin way down because the diarrhea has not stopped. 

I don't drive myself crazy with food logs and counting every single carbohydrate, I prep my own food so I know it's low carb/no sugar and eat it.  Keeping a log will make me get crazy about the dieting and I need a lifestyle change, not a diet.  My dietician agreed with this for me. If I'm starving and I want to eat an entire cucumber as a snack, I just do it instead of going nuts calculating the carbs and weight of it - because, it's a ####### cucumber, not a chocolate bar.  Nothing bad is going to come of crushing cucumbers as a snack.

Soups have been a god send.  I love soup, I'm simply just making them without pasta or rice or any non-veg carbs at all.  Yesterday I made italian wedding with Zoodles.  Also, low carb wraps have helped the transition - I put a little pizza sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni on one and then warm it like a Quesadilla when I'm really feening for "bad" food.  Other "cheating" foods I've found that help in moderation: Atkins Granola Bars, CarbSmart Fudgesicles (3 grams of net carbs per serving), and the flavored Blue Diamond Almonds (Salt and Vinegar/Habanero BBQ are great).  I try to limit these types of snacks to only a few times a week since they contain a lot of unnatural ingredients, but they help in a pinch.

I guess that's it.  thanks to all the help early on.  I get my A1C retested in 10 days so I'm hoping for the best.

Quick update:

Kicking this things ### so far.  Fasting BS readings are now in the 70s almost every morning.  They spiked back up to 100+ for a few days there but I found adding a walk after dinner helped a lot, so now I walk 35 minutes after dinner.

I've lost a ton of weight as well in a healthy manner going low carb.  I'm going to 17 units of insulin per day, and hoping when I see the Dr in 2 weeks we can drop the Metformin way down because the diarrhea has not stopped. 

I don't drive myself crazy with food logs and counting every single carbohydrate, I prep my own food so I know it's low carb/no sugar and eat it now.  Keeping a log will make me get crazy about the dieting and I need a lifestyle change, not a diet.  My dietician agreed with this for me. If I'm starving and I want to eat an entire cucumber as a snack, I just do it instead of going nuts calculating the carbs and weight of it.

Soups have been a god send.  I love soup, I'm simply just making them without pasta or rice or any non-veg carbs at all.  Yesterday I made italian wedding with Zoodles.  Also, low carb wraps have helped the transition - I put a little pizza sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni on one and then warm it like a Quesadilla when I'm really feening for "bad" food.  Other "cheating" foods I've found that help in moderation: Atkins Granola Bars, CarbSmart Fudgesicles (3 grams of net carbs per serving), and the flavored Blue Diamond Almonds (Salt and Vinegar/Habanero BBQ are great).  I try to limit these types of snacks to only a few times a week since they contain a lot of unnatural ingredients, but they help in a pinch.

I guess that's it.  thanks to all the help early on.  I get my A1C retested in 10 days so I'm hoping for the best.
Glad to hear you are doing so well!  Keep it up!

Quick update:

I don't drive myself crazy with food logs and counting every single carbohydrate, I prep my own food so I know it's low carb/no sugar and eat it now.  Keeping a log will make me get crazy about the dieting and I need a lifestyle change, not a diet.  My dietician agreed with this for me. If I'm starving and I want to eat an entire cucumber as a snack, I just do it instead of going nuts calculating the carbs and weight of it.

Awesome work. I think your A1C is going to be much improved. For me, the 45 minute walk will drop my blood sugar 20 points over just good eating. Keep on it - you are doing great!

bradyfan said:
Pumpkins are not only good for Halloween.  It is a fine vegetable for diabetics.  :thumbup:
Pumpkin seeds are a great snack as well. I eat them with the shell for a ton of fiber. 

Brief update: I'm officially off of insulin.  :pickle:  Meeting with Dr to get my new a1C and come up with a medication plan going forward.  I've lost 50ish lbs or so and haven't had sugar or more than 20 carbs in a day in 6 months now.  :thumbup:  . Hoping the A1C will reflect that.  My fasting BS, hasn't spiked over 110 in months and averages in the 90s. (as a matter of fact, I've had 2 low blood sugar incidents - dizziness - that were my fault trying to workout hard without food for over 12 hours like an idiot) Hopefully getting off of the insulin won't have any big effects but I'm pretty excited.  I'm especially excited to reduce my dosage of metformin because that stuff destroys my digestive system

I plan to continue to see a nutritionist/dietician twice per month but really since I've stuck to the Keto plan, she hasn't really provided me with much other than encouragement to keep going and body fat/weight updates (and it's a free service provided by my Drs office - so there's no reason not to)

So I didn't post my A1C last August because frankly, it was embarrassing.

But I did just get my results back from my follow up test.

In 8 months, I went from 11.7 and today I just came in at 5.1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very excited and no one to share with but I've shared a lot of my story here and wanted to update. I had previously been asked to stop taking my insulin when my fasting BS readings averaged so low, but the Dr just called me and told me to stop the metformin as well.  I meet with him tomorrow to discuss a plan going forward.

God bless the Keto diet.  

(ETA: lost 60 lbs to boot) 

So I didn't post my A1C last August because frankly, it was embarrassing.

But I did just get my results back from my follow up test.

In 6 months, I went from 11.7 and today I just came in at 5.1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very excited and no one to share with but I've shared a lot of my story here and wanted to update. I had previously been asked to stop taking my insulin when my fasting BS readings averaged so low, but the Dr just called me and told me to stop the metformin as well.

God bless the Keto diet.  
#### yeah!!!!!

Good job man! That is quite an accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourself. It's not easy to do, and you did it.

I think doctors should bring people like you in to speak to all their overweight and diabetic patients. It would be so inspirational and would change a lot of lives.

Great job, and keep it up!

To add: for those with Drs. skeptical of a High fat/low carb diet, my overall cholesterol went WAY down, my bad cholesterol went down quite significantly and my LDL (good cholesterol) went up in a healthy fashion.

25mg of Lantus every night before bed, 500mg Metformin. My BS runs around 180.

I feel prettyy good tho

Users who are viewing this thread