What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pre-Diabetes. Just got diagnosed. (1 Viewer)

I have a 13 yr old daughter with Type 1 diabetes. A different disease, but similar in many ways. I have learned a lot about diabetes after she was diagnosed.

1. Learn to count your carbs.

2. Buy a food scale.

3. Look at nutrition facts on boxes. You can not believe the amount of carbs in some foods.

4. Download the app Calorie King. This is a big help when eating out.

5. Buy the book Diabetes Solution by Bernstein

Good luck
Good stuff here.

I got Type 1 when I was 7--now here I am 37 years later, 4 shots, 5 blood finger sticks a day equals no fun.

I have great control, but I had no choice in getting this disease. You do and you don't want to go down this road.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife was diagnosed with Type 2 about 10 years ago. She was on Metformin for quite a few years. She finally got serious and lost 50 lbs (she's now 115). Her diabetes is gone, and her doctor recently officially declared here "diabetes free." Her blood sugar is now about 75 (it was 300 when she first got diagnosed).

My advice is change your diet and lose weight. Now. My wife's mom died from complications from diabetes, and it is a slow, horrible way to go. Don't screw around with this. You can reverse it and live a totally healthy, normal life. You just have to lose the weight.

Blood pressure a blip above normal. Get some exercise you sloth... a very controllable condition with a little common sense. Stop whining like a school girl.
:hifive:
What did the doc say about the */91? I thought that was pretty high for the bottom number. In fact i thought that put you right in the high blood pressure moving on to stage 2.
He mentioned that it was the first blip that caught his attention. I go back in 2 weeks for a follow up. I don't know how accurate those blood pressure machines you sit down in at your local pharmacy are, but I tried one on Tuesday and it read 147/98. I walked out of there, white as a ghost.

That being said, since the original post I am down 9 lbs. and eating healthier and exercising daily.

I have a 13 yr old daughter with Type 1 diabetes. A different disease, but similar in many ways. I have learned a lot about diabetes after she was diagnosed.

2. Buy a food scale.

3. Look at nutrition facts on boxes. You can not believe the amount of carbs in some foods.

Good luck
My brother was diagnosed at age 10. First time I ever saw my father cry. Its rough but he lives a pretty normal life. The times he gets low are scary though

Blood pressure a blip above normal. Get some exercise you sloth... a very controllable condition with a little common sense. Stop whining like a school girl.
What did the doc say about the */91? I thought that was pretty high for the bottom number. In fact i thought that put you right in the high blood pressure moving on to stage 2.
He mentioned that it was the first blip that caught his attention. I go back in 2 weeks for a follow up. I don't know how accurate those blood pressure machines you sit down in at your local pharmacy are, but I tried one on Tuesday and it read 147/98. I walked out of there, white as a ghost.

That being said, since the original post I am down 9 lbs. and eating healthier and exercising daily.
Good. I was about to chime in and say lose weight and stop being a ##### you fatty but it sounds like youre doing awesome. Good work!

Usual21 said:
zDragon said:

If you walk up and take your blood pressure right away, it probably will be high.

Went back to the pharmacy to pick up a Rx for my kid. Asked the phamacist how accurate the machine is.. He said it's fairly new and fairly accurate. Took my BP again. 142/98. I know I'm doing what I have to do to get it down, but should I go back to the doc for this?

What was your blood sugar? Did you fast appropriately before the test?

Also, did they check your thyroid levels and how did those look?
These are important questions.

It sounds like your doctor called for a blood test and you weren't expecting one so it's possible you hadn't fasted for 12 hours which can skew the results.

Also if a Thyroid work up wasn't part of the test that can be one possible root cause for elevated blood sugar levels.
I would like to know this too.

Went back to the pharmacy to pick up a Rx for my kid. Asked the phamacist how accurate the machine is.. He said it's fairly new and fairly accurate. Took my BP again. 142/98. I know I'm doing what I have to do to get it down, but should I go back to the doc for this?
The auto BP machines read high. This is for liability reasons, primarily. So if you go and drop dead of a heart attack someone can say that the machine read you wrong and it should have told you of the issue.

When you use an auto BP machine make sure your palm is up and hand is relaxed. Breathe slowly for a minute then start the test. Give yourself a 10 point +/- window to the "good" even if it reads a little high.

Also don't take BP after having caffine within the last hour. It can affect the readings.

A cardiologist told me a few weeks ago:

Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I told him my fathers doctor said the book "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman is a good source of diet information, and my cardiologist agreed.

I bought the 'Eat to Live' book, a ninja blender system(the Vitamix is just too expensive), and a jump rope.

This morning I jumped rope for 5 minutes(5 minutes doesn't sound like a long time, but it gets your heart going) and went inside to have a kale/kiwi/apple/blueberry/almond milk smoothie.

edit to add: Dr. Fuhrman just put a book out this past December: "The End of Diabetes"

2. Buy a food scale.

Good luck
Good stuff here.I got Type 1 when I was 7--now here I am 37 years later, 4 shots, 5 blood finger sticks a day equals no fun.

I have great control, but I had no choice in getting this disease. You do and you don't want to go down this road.
I feel for you and all of those with Type 1. They should be called two different diseases.

Have you tried an insulin pump? My daughter has done well with the Medtronic pump.

Keep your spirits up and stay on track. Stay positive on a cure!

Good Luck. Someone posted the link to marks daily apple. I went "Primal" a while back and feel as good if not better than I did in college.

Knowing you numbers across day/night would be good. Might want to pick up a home cuff to track it.

Any updates on this? Just went through a similar appointment and the doc wants me to start BP medication due the interactive complications with diabetes. I am not a big fan of medication and only 35, so I wonder if I can reverse it. She advocated strongly for the medication and suggested further medications will be necessary over time for the diabetes.

It sounds like your doctor called for a blood test and you weren't expecting one so it's possible you hadn't fasted for 12 hours which can skew the results.

Also if a Thyroid work up wasn't part of the test that can be one possible root cause for elevated blood sugar levels.
I am wondering about this now, too. I did mine in the afternoon, as I did not recall anyone saying anything about fasting. I was getting a comprehensive metabolic screening and glucose was on there. I got 125, which is high for fasting but apparently could be normal if non-fasting. My triglycerides were high though, which is the other thing that she was saying was an indicator. :shrug:

Any updates on this? Just went through a similar appointment and the doc wants me to start BP medication due the interactive complications with diabetes. I am not a big fan of medication and only 35, so I wonder if I can reverse it. She advocated strongly for the medication and suggested further medications will be necessary over time for the diabetes.
What's your current height and weight? Do you know your body fat %?

Assuming you have weight to lose, I would get started on this ASAP and use the medication as a last resort. Don't look at the medication as the easy way to fix this problem.

I am wondering about this now, too. I did mine in the afternoon, as I did not recall anyone saying anything about fasting. I was getting a comprehensive metabolic screening and glucose was on there. I got 125, which is high for fasting but apparently could be normal if non-fasting. My triglycerides were high though, which is the other thing that she was saying was an indicator. :shrug:
I think most blood sugar tests require fasting. Mine have always required 12 hour fastings. I would usually have my appointment at 8 AM or so and not have food since dinner the night before.

Don't know body fat, but I definitely need/want to lose weight. She set the goal at 5-10% of body weight within 6 months, so a minimum of 10 pounds. I need to lose about 40 pounds total.

I think I needed to ask my question about the medication more specifically to her. I am very fearful of any drug that I could never stop taking because the body stops doing the function. I need to figure that out.

Definitely not a doctor, but based on experience it would seem really strange to make a diagnosis and prescription based on a single, non-fasting blood sugar reading taken in the afternoon. Really any form of metabolic or lipid profile blood test requires fasting as far as I know. People who are concerned about blood sugar often start by taking several readings per day over the course of a few weeks to learn about how their body reacts to certain foods.

Don't know body fat, but I definitely need/want to lose weight. She set the goal at 5-10% of body weight within 6 months, so a minimum of 10 pounds. I need to lose about 40 pounds total.

I think I needed to ask my question about the medication more specifically to her. I am very fearful of any drug that I could never stop taking because the body stops doing the function. I need to figure that out.
40lbs doesn't seem like enough to bring on diabetes. Family history?

40lbs doesn't seem like enough to bring on diabetes. Family history?
don't know much about my mom's side (she died at 54 of cancer and was adopted). Nothing that I am aware of on my dad's side, but I will be talking to him tomorrow.

Not trying to be a jerk, but work out more if you're not working out regularly and really focus on eating better. Someone in my immediate family has had Type 1 juvenile diabetes since I was a child, and it's a terrible disease. It's managed well, but is still a complication and something you will manage daily for the rest of your life. Can lead to complications including diabetic ketoacidosis, blindness, loss of limbs, and even death - even if managed with precision.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone, and am very proud of those who really try hard and do well to manage this disease every day. Always give to the ADA, it definitely touches the life of those I love.

I put on weight during/after college, and having Type 1 in my family I'm pre-disposed. Family doc read me the riot act to shape up, and I've been in good shape since. I cheat here and there, but always try to keep my workout routine and diet in check to hedge off as much as is within my power. It's something you want to do everything within your power to avoid if you can.

Work hard and best of luck with everything :thumbup:

Not trying to be a jerk, but work out more if you're not working out regularly and really focus on eating better. Someone in my immediate family has had Type 1 juvenile diabetes since I was a child, and it's a terrible disease. It's managed well, but is still a complication and something you will manage daily for the rest of your life. Can lead to complications including diabetic ketoacidosis, blindness, loss of limbs, and even death - even if managed with precision.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone, and am very proud of those who really try hard and do well to manage this disease every day. Always give to the ADA, it definitely touches the life of those I love.

I put on weight during/after college, and having Type 1 in my family I'm pre-disposed. Family doc read me the riot act to shape up, and I've been in good shape since. I cheat here and there, but always try to keep my workout routine and diet in check to hedge off as much as is within my power. It's something you want to do everything within your power to avoid if you can.

Jerk!

Just kidding, I definitely want to address this. I work out 2-3 times a week, but I need to up this to a minimum of 30 minutes a day. I want to deal with it, just want to make sure I'm doing it the right way and have all the info. I am immediately cutting carbs and will likely re-visit the South Beach Diet. I will be asking a few clarifying questions to the doc before taking the BP medication. Just really not excited about taking an irreversible medication (if it is) unless absolutely necessary (which it may be).

What was your BP? Taking an anti-hypertensive to prevent complications from diabetes when you don't have diabetes doesn't make much sense.

mquinnjr said:

I don't think you are predisposed to type 2 because type 1 runs in your family. They are separate and different diseases. At least that's my understanding.

My wife is battling with high blood pressure, mostly stress related as I said it would be right away :)

She was at one point in the 150/110 range. She's a gym rat and in great shape and eats well. Her BP starts high on Monday and gradually goes down as the week progresses. She's added stretch and yoga classes, started taking flaxseed meal and CoQ10 and is now down around the 135/85 range.

mquinnjr said:

I don't think you are predisposed to type 2 because type 1 runs in your family. They are separate and different diseases. At least that's my understanding.
Yes, 2 totally different things.

Type 1 is the body not having the pancreas not producing any insulin. The only way to control is to take insulin injections to lower the blood sugars.

Type 2 the body still produces insulin. Just not enough of it which leads to high blood sugar levels in the blood. Usually common in overweight people and can usually be controlled by diet and exercise.

Similar in that both result in high blood sugar, why the share the general diabetes tag.

Type 1 myself. Diagnosed at 40. 5+ years later and all is still OK. Fairly normal life style as long as you count carbs and adjust the amount of insulin injections accordingly.

Father is also type 1 for 50+ years now. His is very uncontrolled and has led to a ton of other health conditions.

Any other questions, post them or PM and I'll try to answer. Still alot of unknowns about this disease. But the way I look at it is I had to choose between heart attack, stroke, cancer or diabetes, I'll take diabetes.

Just got A call from the doc's office yesterday. Bad news. A month ago, doc told me my blood sugar and cholesterol were a little high and I should "work on it". I didn't take the warning seriously. Shame on me.

My heboglobins are 6.9 and aren't supposed to be anywhere over 5.1 over a three month period. I still don't know what type of diabetes that means, but the elevated cholesterol adds to my worry. I never really cared to learn much about this disease, only that it killed my grandfather shortly after blinding him.

I'll be able to give up sweets no problem, but it's the processed flour, pasta, stuff that converts to complex sugars I most worry about. They are actually worse than simple sugars, and lead to a false sense of safety. This is a whole new ball game. This is scary stuff. Your pancreas doesn't just heal itself. Kidneys can shut down if the heboglobins climb to 10 or more. I am watching all kinds of pizza, soda pop, Reese's peanut butter cup commercials on the Sugar Bowl game tonight (irony?)

Just got A call from the doc's office yesterday. Bad news. A month ago, doc told me my blood sugar and cholesterol were a little high and I should "work on it". I didn't take the warning seriously. Shame on me.

My heboglobins are 6.9 and aren't supposed to be anywhere over 5.1 over a three month period. I still don't know what type of diabetes that means, but the elevated cholesterol adds to my worry. I never really cared to learn much about this disease, only that it killed my grandfather shortly after blinding him.

I'll be able to give up sweets no problem, but it's the processed flour, pasta, stuff that converts to complex sugars I most worry about. They are actually worse than simple sugars, and lead to a false sense of safety. This is a whole new ball game. This is scary stuff. Your pancreas doesn't just heal itself. Kidneys can shut down if the heboglobins climb to 10 or more. I am watching all kinds of pizza, soda pop, Reese's peanut butter cup commercials on the Sugar Bowl game tonight (irony?)
Serious stuff. Lose weight. You can reverse this - assuming it's type 2 which it sounds like.

Best way to fight diabetes (or avoid it in the first place) is to adopt the paleo/primal lifestyle.

Check out http://MarksDailyApple.com and http://RobbWolf.com.
Yeah, not going to agree with that. My mom and best friend both have diabetes and both of their drs recommended diets different than a paleo. Ada has a recommended diet which should be used over paleo.
Doctors used to recommend cigarettes as well. The days of blindly following doctor's advice are long gone. Do some research and make sure that whatever your doctor suggests makes sense. Paleo is a very good option.

6.9 is way high. Are they not putting you on meds? Not even metformin?

Best way to fight diabetes (or avoid it in the first place) is to adopt the paleo/primal lifestyle.

Yeah, not going to agree with that. My mom and best friend both have diabetes and both of their drs recommended diets different than a paleo. Ada has a recommended diet which should be used over paleo.
Doctors used to recommend cigarettes as well. The days of blindly following doctor's advice are long gone. Do some research and make sure that whatever your doctor suggests makes sense. Paleo is a very good option.
Going to take the Ada and doctors over marks daily apple.

Like I said, I just found out on December 31. The nurse calling me told me their computers were down. They are going to call me today to schedule an appt. I fully expect to go on meds, if not insulin therapy soon. I called my sister who is an RN, and she agrees it's high, but it also could be a short term spike. But the fact that the sugar levels were sustained over a 3 month period is the true red flag. She told me that sugar in the blood is really bad. Microscopically, those molecules are enormous compared to salt molecules, say. The pancreas and kidneys are supposed to work to get those huge sugar molecules out of the blood stream, or at least at low levels. High sugar levels in the blood especially impact the smallest blood vessels, such as the tinyest ones in the eyes for example. This all has me suddenly very interested in learning more and needless to say very nervous.

It's not just sweets, it's things like Ketchup and BBQ type sauces (loaded with sugar) that you need to remove from your diet (use fresh Salsa instead of Ketchup and BBQ sauces).

I know you're not a big drinker but there's a ton of sugar in alcohol drinks/beer.
It's everything. If you didn't cook it more than likely sugar is added.

If you want to beat this cook your meals.

Like I said, I just found out on December 31. The nurse calling me told me their computers were down. They are going to call me today to schedule an appt. I fully expect to go on meds, if not insulin therapy soon. I called my sister who is an RN, and she agrees it's high, but it also could be a short term spike. But the fact that the sugar levels were sustained over a 3 month period is the true red flag. She told me that sugar in the blood is really bad. Microscopically, those molecules are enormous compared to salt molecules, say. The pancreas and kidneys are supposed to work to get those huge sugar molecules out of the blood stream, or at least at low levels. High sugar levels in the blood especially impact the smallest blood vessels, such as the tinyest ones in the eyes for example. This all has me suddenly very interested in learning more and needless to say very nervous.
I doubt they give you insulin. Are you doing finger sticks yet. They won't even dream of insulin till you get a strip of sticks done over s month or two.

Paleo diet may not be perfect for type1 but type2 it's pretty close. At the end of the day you eat a ton more veg and clean protein. Some diabetics have issue with high protien diet and can end up worse off. So don't go hammering like 2x your body weight in bacon and ground beef, but for sure get more veg and try to use oatmeal instead of refined flours as a start.

The ADA-recommended diet and a paleo diet are perfectly compatible with each other. Follow the ADA-recommended diet. If you want to do it paleo-style, eat starchy vegetables and legumes for your carbs instead of bread or pasta.

The ADA-recommended diet and a paleo diet are perfectly compatible with each other. Follow the ADA-recommended diet. If you want to do it paleo-style, eat starchy vegetables and legumes for your carbs instead of bread or pasta.
This. Add in potatoes and beans.

Regarding a paleo-style diet, I just came across this statement in The Wahls Protocol:

In another randomized crossover trial, subjects were given a standard diabetic diet or a ­hunter-gatherer diet for three months and then switched to the other diet. Again scientists found that the hunter-gatherer diet was associated with better blood sugar control, better blood pressure, better cholesterol values, and more weight loss than the standard diabetic diet. [Jonsson T, Granfeldt Y, Ahren B, et al. Beneficial effects of a Paleolithic diet on cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes: a randomized cross-over pilot study. Cardiovasc Diabetol 8 (2009): 35.]

More important than just your raw weight is you BMI. Scroll down this page to see the chart. Some people can look fat and really aren't and vice versa. The BMI is used to determine if you are of an acceptable weight for your height or overweight or obese. This is what's used by surgeons to determine if a pt is too obese or not for the given surgery.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/riskfortype2/#13

In our practice you won't be able to have hip/knee replacement surgery if you are at 7.0 or above. You get used to the diet, just like you do with exercise. Best way to do it is to not buy such stuff in the first place so it won't be in your house. Don't go down those isles to even see it. Good luck.

More important than just your raw weight is you BMI. Scroll down this page to see the chart. Some people can look fat and really aren't and vice versa. The BMI is used to determine if you are of an acceptable weight for your height or overweight or obese. This is what's used by surgeons to determine if a pt is too obese or not for the given surgery.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/riskfortype2/#13
So Adrian Peterson is 6'1" 220 pounds and is obese?

BMI is simply a baseline, muscle mass and body type have to be considered. Most doctors use BMI as a scare tactic, which can actually be counterproductive. Surgeons are using the scale to the extreme condition, please don't make it seem like they think it is some sort of standard. That's not true at all.

Atkins would be fine as well. Carbs are a killer with diabetes, if you can eliminate the carbs, you won't have any problems with your blood sugar. Most people can't, so just cut down as much as you can. Alpa Lipoic Acid is good for it too, will lower your blood sugar.

Update:

Two weeks since being told I am diabetic, and I can tell you the new shocked me and scared me to make some major changes. I have adopted a strict paleo diet, excerised every day 30 minutes in the morning, and already have lost 9 lbs since New Year's Eve. Down from 246 to 237. Losing weight is nice and while I'd still like to drop another 20 lbs or so, the thing I'm concerned most with is getting that sugar index down (or whatever they call it). It was at 6.7 on December 31, and it's only gone down to 6.5 despite the weight loss. I asked my doc about should I be concerned and he is encouraged by the weight loss and my new hard core paleo attitude. He was going to put me on meds, but decided against it thinking I could control this with diet and exercise. Well I guess we'll see in 4 months for my next checkup.

Giving up sweets was easy. It's the extreme limitations on what food I can eat when eating out that I am still dealing with. I go to grocery store and shop for items on the paleo diet and find a lot of items that are no fat, no sugar to cost a premium. No fat, no sugar Greek yogurt for instance costs about double what the sugary flavored yogurts costs. But now that I found out that dairy is a no no, that is no longer a concern. I brown bag to work, so a daily sandwich is standard, or it was. Now my doc tells me no more than 3 servings of bread a week with the goal of zero eventually. The bread is going to be a tough one to give up. I'm going a little crazy over raw nuts, almonds, pecans, walnuts.. It's my new vice. And I can eat a pound of baby carrots in a sitting. It's going to hard to give up the hummus though (no beans on the paleo diet).

Sleep patterns are all over the map. One day I have a ton of energy in the morning, and need a nap at noon, the next I'm staying up at night bouncing off walls and can't get it going the next morning. Usually it's more of an afternoon energy dip, and my doc tells me that it's normal. That I'm going through a kind of sugar detox, and my body wil adjust.

Don't know if anybody cares, I know this reads like a diary. But if it helps anyone, I copied off my paleo diet from a website my wife did some research on (I should add she's been terrific moral support). Anyway, my physician endorsed it 100% except for the part about the double bacon. He's worried about my elevated cholesterol which is mostly genetics. If anyone wants to see this diet, I'm posting it here:

http://paleoguide.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2012/05/Paleo-Diet-Food-List-PDF.pdf

^^ ^^ ^^

Nice job. The sugar index is called A1C. They measure this every 3 months. Since you just started this not long ago I wouldn't worry about how much it's gone down. It takes awhile for your body to adjust and you are 2 weeks in. Keep doing what you are doing. BTW drs have their own line as to when to give meds. Over 7 and you should be on meds. Under 7 and depending on if you have other issues as well and how bad those are, they always try diet and exercise first.

Good luck to you and great job in sticking with paleo. I tried it------------------------------------for 5 days----------------------------and failed.

A1C is for all intents a test of your prior 3 months, but the reality is 50% of the weight of the test is 3 weeks prior +/- 1 week. It's not meant to be taken weekly. Monthly, maybe.

Takes a long time to really move the needle so to speak.

^^ ^^ ^^

Nice job. The sugar index is called A1C. They measure this every 3 months. Since you just started this not long ago I wouldn't worry about how much it's gone down. It takes awhile for your body to adjust and you are 2 weeks in. Keep doing what you are doing. BTW drs have their own line as to when to give meds. Over 7 and you should be on meds. Under 7 and depending on if you have other issues as well and how bad those are, they always try diet and exercise first.

Good luck to you and great job in sticking with paleo. I tried it------------------------------------for 5 days----------------------------and failed.
I knew I read about A1C somewhere. Thanks for the info. My doc told me it would take months to see a significant dip in that sugar index. As for getting used to the diet, it's not that hard. I remind myself that sugar is poison from the black death plague. I've got 4 kids aged 3 to 13 and I can't bear the thought of being a burden to them. Not yet.

It's going to hard to give up the hummus though (no beans on the paleo diet).
This is one of the more unfortunate things Loren Cordain came up with, and a lot of the other paleo gurus repeated without independently verifying.

Legumes are as paleo as anything is. See the attached PDF file, and also see this article.

166-468-1-PB.pdf

Attachments

• 166-468-1-PB.pdf
    599.2 KB · Views: 3
I've been reading a lot lately about how raw, unfiltered honey is great for regulating blood sugar.

Normally, you don't want to eat a lot of sugar as a diabetic or prediabetic, because sugar consumption increases insulin production, and you bounce between high and low blood glucose levels.

But honey is different. Honey has a ratio of glucose to fructose, as well as a bunch of other stuff in it, that prevents the glucose from being absorbed into your bloodstream. Instead, it is taken into the liver, where it is stored as glycogen and released into the blood stream slowly, over a long period of time, as needed. It keeps your blood glucose stable, and improves insulin sensitivity.

Honestly, the proposed mechanism (see, for example, here) doesn't entirely make sense to me. But it does seem empirically well supported that raw, unfiltered honey can be helpful in preventing or reversing type 2 diabetes. This overview is the first thing that came up in PubMed, and there's a lot more like it.

Users who are viewing this thread