What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prime Rib Christmas Supper (1 Viewer)

My father works for a textile company so they have several mills in the AL, GA area where he lives.

My niece was getting married in Dec. (wedding called off) and he wanted me to cook for the rehersal and reception so he commisioned some of the guys to build me a trailer smoker as a way of saying thanks.

I did know about any of it when I got there for Thanksgiving so it was a bit of a suprise. We deciede to break it in over the holiday with some butts, wings, hams turkeys and the rib roast ( he wanted something different for the Saturday football games)

The trailer is @ 15 feet long, all the lighting is already wired and ready for pulling. The cooking chamber is @ 7 ft with three cooking grates. There are two smoke stacks, heat sheilding plates in the chamber (pics to come at Christmas) below the bottom grate. All the grates pull out so it could easily do a whole hog up to 150 lbs. The chamber is stainles steel, not sure about the thinkness. The door has clambs to prevent heat loss and there are thermoeters at the center of the chamber and the far left (away from fire box). There is a cage for wood at the from of the chamber currently filled with White Oak and Pecan logs. There is storage under the cooking chamber. The fire box is 2 ft by 2 ft by 2 ft of cast iron, very thick. The top of the fire box is a grill, with a removeable heat sheild that can also be lowered if you want to put coals in it. There is a thermometer there as well. There is a baffle between the firebox and chamber that can be adjusted up or down 6 levels from all the way open to completlely closed.

I will get many more pictures of it at Christmas, I was very limited in what I could at Thanksgving because of the weather (rain) and that is when I will bring it home.

Saturday the 20th we will be doing 6 hams and 6 turkeys for some local needy families so that should really give me a good idea of how it will handle large loads.

It prefeormed very well at Thanskgiving, once I was able play with it a bit I had no problems getting it to stabalize at the desired temp and to my suprise it recovered very quickly after the chamber or fire box was opened.

Best of all this rig cost less than 600 bucks because all the materials san the trailer where at the shop as scrap.

Link to the few pictures I have

http://public.fotki.com/Meglamaniac/new-smoker/
That looks pretty epic!The current plan we are working on prime rib-wise this year is to sear it over very very high heat on the grill (perhaps leave the coals in the chimney and put the grill on top of the chimney), then let it rest an hour, then finish in a very low (190 degree) oven. I've used this method for super thick steaks and tri tips after reading about it on the FFA and it works like a charm.

To up the ante a bit we are going to slowly poach some lobsters in butter. Surf and turf for xmas!!

Megla said:
My father works for a textile company so they have several mills in the AL, GA area where he lives.

My niece was getting married in Dec. (wedding called off) and he wanted me to cook for the rehersal and reception so he commisioned some of the guys to build me a trailer smoker as a way of saying thanks.

I did know about any of it when I got there for Thanksgiving so it was a bit of a suprise. We deciede to break it in over the holiday with some butts, wings, hams turkeys and the rib roast ( he wanted something different for the Saturday football games)

The trailer is @ 15 feet long, all the lighting is already wired and ready for pulling. The cooking chamber is @ 7 ft with three cooking grates. There are two smoke stacks, heat sheilding plates in the chamber (pics to come at Christmas) below the bottom grate. All the grates pull out so it could easily do a whole hog up to 150 lbs. The chamber is stainles steel, not sure about the thinkness. The door has clambs to prevent heat loss and there are thermoeters at the center of the chamber and the far left (away from fire box). There is a cage for wood at the from of the chamber currently filled with White Oak and Pecan logs. There is storage under the cooking chamber. The fire box is 2 ft by 2 ft by 2 ft of cast iron, very thick. The top of the fire box is a grill, with a removeable heat sheild that can also be lowered if you want to put coals in it. There is a thermometer there as well. There is a baffle between the firebox and chamber that can be adjusted up or down 6 levels from all the way open to completlely closed.

I will get many more pictures of it at Christmas, I was very limited in what I could at Thanksgving because of the weather (rain) and that is when I will bring it home.

Saturday the 20th we will be doing 6 hams and 6 turkeys for some local needy families so that should really give me a good idea of how it will handle large loads.

It prefeormed very well at Thanskgiving, once I was able play with it a bit I had no problems getting it to stabalize at the desired temp and to my suprise it recovered very quickly after the chamber or fire box was opened.

Best of all this rig cost less than 600 bucks because all the materials san the trailer where at the shop as scrap.

Link to the few pictures I have

http://public.fotki.com/Meglamaniac/new-smoker/
Very cool.Can you explain the two chimneys to me? How does the air flow from the firebox to outside?

J

The plates lay under the lowest grill level and have small gaps in them for smoke and heat to rise, the smoke/heat leaves the fire box under these plates into the chamber, the two smoke stacks allow for more even temps through the cooking chamber as the draw from both pulls the smoke/heat straigh up. The far end of the cooking chamber is actually warmer than the middle by @ 10 degrees because of this draw and the end closest to the firebox is only about 5 degrees warmer than the far end because of the thickness of the baffle (when lowered to the lowest non-closed level)

The plates lay under the lowest grill level and have small gaps in them for smoke and heat to rise, the smoke/heat leaves the fire box under these plates into the chamber, the two smoke stacks allow for more even temps through the cooking chamber as the draw from both pulls the smoke/heat straigh up. The far end of the cooking chamber is actually warmer than the middle by @ 10 degrees because of this draw and the end closest to the firebox is only about 5 degrees warmer than the far end because of the thickness of the baffle (when lowered to the lowest non-closed level)
Interesting. I don't know that I've seen many with two chimneys like that.Getting the temps even on a horizontal is one of the biggest challenges. You're probably familiar with the newer designs that they call a "reverse flow" where the smoke / heat travels below the grate and then up and then back across the cooking chamber to exit at a chimney that is closest to the firebox. info here http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...GLG:en%26sa%3DN

Lang MFG in Georgia is doing a ton of these.

I'm interested in this as design / build the catering rig. Think I've settled on more of a vertical chamber thing. But we'll see. Cool smoker.

J

Joe Bryant said:
Megla said:
Interesting. I don't know that I've seen many with two chimneys like that.Getting the temps even on a horizontal is one of the biggest challenges. You're probably familiar with the newer designs that they call a "reverse flow" where the smoke / heat travels below the grate and then up and then back across the cooking chamber to exit at a chimney that is closest to the firebox. info here http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...GLG:en%26sa%3DN

I'm interested in this as design / build the catering rig. Think I've settled on more of a vertical chamber thing. But we'll see. Cool smoker.

J
Many of the commercial smokers by Lang, Klose and others have dual stack designs, it is of the same line of thinking, reverse flow and the ones you describe. Any good design will have plates in the chamber to help distribute heat and smoke, from there I doubt that there is much difference in units with one stack or two, regardless of where the stack may be, the important thing is to have a good adjustable baffle leading into the chamber from the fire box and the plates that force the heat/smoke through the bottom of the chamber with small seperations allowing for the heat/smoke to escape to the stacks.Are you looking at getting a verticle chamber for a trailer smoker?? If so I would suggerst looking at units that have both the horizontal and verticle like this

http://www.bbquepits.com/images/PORTABLE_T...er/croped/a.JPG

http://www.southwestsmoker.com/images/cropped_images/c32.jpg

http://www.bbqpits.com/

What's the estimated time for cooking? I will go with the Alton Brown method, it's 11lb bone in prime rib boned with the ribs tied back on. I am shooting for done around 4pm so I am thinking it will have to go in around 12pm. Is this about right?

What's the estimated time for cooking? I will go with the Alton Brown method, it's 11lb bone in prime rib boned with the ribs tied back on. I am shooting for done around 4pm so I am thinking it will have to go in around 12pm. Is this about right?
What temp are you planning on cooking it at?

After looking over this thread, I picked up a 9 lb rib roast this AM after working out and will be making prime rib tomorrow night. :goodposting:

If I find out where you live, me and my 8 year-old boy are coming over for dinner.
Should be an interesting year this year, 4 kids under 6 will be here, 2 of them are mine 20 adults, small house and I have a broken foot and will be trying to cook. This smells like a trainwreck in waiting.

J
Many of the commercial smokers by Lang, Klose and others have dual stack designs, it is of the same line of thinking, reverse flow and the ones you describe. Any good design will have plates in the chamber to help distribute heat and smoke, from there I doubt that there is much difference in units with one stack or two, regardless of where the stack may be, the important thing is to have a good adjustable baffle leading into the chamber from the fire box and the plates that force the heat/smoke through the bottom of the chamber with small seperations allowing for the heat/smoke to escape to the stacks.Are you looking at getting a verticle chamber for a trailer smoker?? If so I would suggerst looking at units that have both the horizontal and verticle like this

http://www.bbquepits.com/images/PORTABLE_T...er/croped/a.JPG

http://www.southwestsmoker.com/images/cropped_images/c32.jpg

http://www.bbqpits.com/
I'm going to go with just vertical chambers. For the set up I'm doing, it'll be the most efficient use of the space and the easiest to cook on.J

Hi ttiger,Only advice I'd offer is to allow yourself more time than you think. Nothing bumps the stress level like the food not done yet and everyone hungry. Easier to let it rest and err on the side of having it done too early. Something like prime rib can stay warm pretty easily.J

OK my first try at this just went into the oven.

It's only me and my wife, so I picked up a small 4.5 pounder Bone removed and retied.

Rubbed it with a little oil Sea Salt, Garlic Salt, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, Sweet Basil, and a little Parsley flakes.

My plan is a 250 oven untill it hits 118. then take it out and crank the oven to 500.

Put back in for 4-5 minutes or, then take it out and let it sit covered in foil till I hit 130

BTW

I had tough time finding a remote thermometer. Last night I tried Home Depot, and Target and came away empty. This Morning I tried Lowes with the same results. Whhie at the mall buying my wifes gift I checked Sears and they had nothing, but I picked up an electric knfe for $18.00

I finaly found one at Burdines by accident for $20.00

Hi ttiger,Only advice I'd offer is to allow yourself more time than you think. Nothing bumps the stress level like the food not done yet and everyone hungry. Easier to let it rest and err on the side of having it done too early. Something like prime rib can stay warm pretty easily.J
I guess my question is more to the tune of is ~4 hours enough time to give myself?

I guess my question is more to the tune of is ~4 hours enough time to give myself?
Not sure ttiger. I'd follow what alton brown says in his recipe and give yourself an extra hour to be safe.Good luck - I bet it'll be great. Just watch the temp. The only real way to mess this up is to get it too done.J

In the oven now with my Polder probe inserted. Rubbed with the garlic cloves, kosher salt and 1/4 cup for pepper I ground up. Looking forward to this in about 3-4 hrs.

As a Practicioner of The Culinary Arts, I will offer some general thoughts.........................

Doneness by temp is subjective - you will find that different people and places give different temps as the standard. Find something that works recipe wise, then stick to it - but always be prepared to adjust on the fly. Crazy as it sounds, some cuts of the same meat will just plain cook faster or slower than the average.

I use an old stand-by recipe that has served me well many times. I preheat the oven to 550, place the roast fat side up on a baking rack over a pan, then place it in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 350. I go 16 minutes per pound, then remove and let rest for 30 minutes before carving.

Many people experience less than stellar results due to one simple failure - they do not set the cut out 2 hours before cooking

I usually always prepare an herb crust, and add a little beef or chicken stock to the pan before cooking, as I feel this creates a more moist cooking environ

While the roast rests after cooking, deglaze the baking pan with some red wine, then add some fresh pepper, demi-glace, mushrooms, and fresh rosemary to create your own au jus. Scrape up with your spatula the charred bits stuck to the pan for more flavor

Too lazy to look but am I the only one who loves some nice Yorkshire Pudding with a Rib Roast?

I didn't look through all the posts on here so I am guilty if it was already talked about on here.

There is no better cut of red meat than a ribeye roast, in my opinion.

I am BBQing a 10 pound ribeye roast as I type this. Just salt, pepper, garlic powder, and fresh chopped garlic for the rub. I cook it for about three hours on the Weber with a healthy dose of hickory smoke.

Too lazy to look but am I the only one who loves some nice Yorkshire Pudding with a Rib Roast?I didn't look through all the posts on here so I am guilty if it was already talked about on here.
Nope, it was included in my Christmas feast today.Prime Rib (seared with Lindberg and Snider's Porterhouse seasoning and fresh cracked pepper, 250 degrees for about 3 hours)Au Jus (based made with roasted onions and oxtails rubbed with tomato paste + beef stock, chicken stock, red wine)Yorkshire Pudding (1st time - came out great)Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Red PotatoesSavannah Chop House creamed cornGreen Beans AlmondineRosemary bread wreathMixed greens with candied walnuts, pears, gorgonzola, raspberry vinaigrette

Too lazy to look but am I the only one who loves some nice Yorkshire Pudding with a Rib Roast?

I didn't look through all the posts on here so I am guilty if it was already talked about on here.
Nope, it was included in my Christmas feast today.Prime Rib (seared with Lindberg and Snider's Porterhouse seasoning and fresh cracked pepper, 250 degrees for about 3 hours)

Au Jus (based made with roasted onions and oxtails rubbed with tomato paste + beef stock, chicken stock, red wine)

Yorkshire Pudding (1st time - came out great)

Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Red Potatoes

Savannah Chop House creamed corn

Green Beans Almondine

Rosemary bread wreath

Mixed greens with candied walnuts, pears, gorgonzola, raspberry vinaigrette
Not to be an ##### but you had Jus with the mealAu Jus means with its own juice (or broth...)

Overall turned out great! Went a little higher in temp than I had anticipated. Pulled it from the oven at 118* and rose to 136* out of the oven. Still was great, had lots of pink in the middle. Served with drippings from the pan as well as a horseradish sauce. Gonna add this to the holiday rotation, without question.

:( Am sticking to my plan to do Lamb Shanks on Christmas Day, but reading this has caused me to think about adding Prime Rib to the Christmas Weekend Menu. There is still Sunday to plan for!

Make a paste of minced garlic (five cloves), horseradish (1/2 cup), kosher salt (1/4 cup) and cracked pepper (1/4 cup).Rub the paste really well into the roast.
I did something similar last year. I used garlic paste, horseradish, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and fresh rosemary then drizzled the mix with olive oil then rubbed it into the roast. It was delicious. IMHO 1/4 cup salt seems like an aweful lot.

Based on this thread I fired up a boneless prime rib tonight, dry rubbed with coarse sea salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, and Italian herbs. Slow roasted it at 225 with some wine in the bottom of the pan, then when it hit 118 internal blasted it at 500 until it hit 125, then let it rest.

Just amazing with a good Merlot. :shrug:

After reading this thread last year I did a roast on the weber and thought it came out great. Only problem was that most of the guests (and myself included) prefered a more steakish taste and wanted more of the exterior "char" taste. I'm thinking of doing ribeyes this year instead, same cut and I figure its about 7 minutes of grilling instead of a half day thinking about it on the grill. Any tips for this?

One tip to keep in mind is that a smaller roast will not rise as much in temperature once you pull it from the oven whereas a very large one will rise very dramatically for quite a while.

Good info in here. Thanks. already have my 4 bone pre ordered. Any tips on carving?
I've done rib roasts before where the butcher removed (or mostly removed) the meat from the bone, then tied it together so it can still cook together in one piece. Then carving is a snap.I like the slices thin, but not too thin. A ham slicer knife is awesome for carving a roast.

I'm considering making the below this Xmas -- it's not a rib roast, but a NY strip roast. The veal butter (beurre colbert) could definitely be used for a rib roast however, and would be an excellent match:

Thomas Keller's Herb-Roasted Sirloin of Beef with Beurre Colbert

Serves 6

Beurre Colbert is an herb butter blended with veal stock. It has the texture of whipped butter and is dolloped on sliced meat to mingle with the meat juices. Keller uses well-marbled USDA Prime beef.

* 3 pound piece of boneless New York strip loin cut from the rib end, preferably USDA Prime

* The beurre Colbert:

* 6 ounces ( 3/4 cup) rich, concentrated veal stock (see Note)

* 1/4 pound unsalted butter, in 1/2-inch cubes, softened

* 1 tablespoon finely minced shallots

* 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh tarragon

* 1 tablespoon finely minced Italian parsley

* -- Juice from 1/2 large lemon, or to taste

* -- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

* The beef:

* 1/4 cup canola oil

* 1/4 pound unsalted butter

* 1 whole head of garlic, halved crosswise

* 1 small bunch fresh thyme

* -- Sel gris (gray salt) for finishing

Instructions: Trim the beef of any superfluous fat and silverskin, leaving about 1/4 to 1/3 inch of fat on top. Pat the meat dry with a paper towel. Let it come to room temperature uncovered. The meat will form a better crust when seared if all surfaces are thoroughly dry.

Prepare the beurre Colbert: In a small saucepan, reduce the veal stock over moderate heat to 1/4 cup. It should be syrupy. Allow the stock to cool to about 100° (just above body temperature). Put the softened butter in a bowl and add the reduced stock, using a rubber spatula to get every drop of the stock. Whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in the shallots and herbs. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Leave the seasoned butter at room temperature while you cook the beef.

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Season the beef liberally all over with salt and pepper. Heat a 12-inch skillet over high heat. Add the canola oil to the hot skillet. When the oil just begins to smoke, add the beef, fat side down. To avoid splattering yourself with hot oil, place the meat in the pan gradually, starting at the edge of the skillet closest to you and ending at the far edge. Sear the fat side until well browned, about 4 minutes, then turn and sear both ends of the meat and, lastly, the bottom. Transfer the meat to a plate and discard all the fat in the skillet. Let the skillet cool slightly, then wipe it out with paper towels. Return it to moderate heat and add the butter, garlic and thyme. When the butter melts and begins to foam, return the meat to the skillet and spoon some of the seasoned butter over it.

Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast the beef to the desired doneness, basting it every 7 minutes or so with the buttery pan juices. Use a meat thermometer or probe to check doneness at the thickest part of the roast, and remember that the internal temperature will climb 10 to 15 degrees as the meat rests. Final internal temperature after resting is 125° for rare meat, 132° to 135° for medium rare, 142° for medium, 150° for medium well and 160° for well done.

Let the roast rest in a warm area for 15-20 minutes before carving. Slice into six uniformly thick medallions. Season the sliced surfaces with freshly ground pepper and a few grains of sel gris before transferring to the serving plate. Dollop each serving with some of the beurre Colbert, or shape the butter with two spoons into attractive quenelles and serve on the side.

Note: Look for rich veal stock in the freezer case of better markets.

Per serving: 540 calories, 54 g protein, 4 g carbohydrate, 33 g fat (18 g saturated), 205 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 0 fiber.

Good info in here. Thanks. already have my 4 bone pre ordered. Any tips on carving?
I've done rib roasts before where the butcher removed (or mostly removed) the meat from the bone, then tied it together so it can still cook together in one piece. Then carving is a snap.I like the slices thin, but not too thin. A ham slicer knife is awesome for carving a roast.

I'm considering making the below this Xmas -- it's not a rib roast, but a NY strip roast. The veal butter (beurre colbert) could definitely be used for a rib roast however, and would be an excellent match:

Serves 6

Beurre Colbert is an herb butter blended with veal stock. It has the texture of whipped butter and is dolloped on sliced meat to mingle with the meat juices. Keller uses well-marbled USDA Prime beef.

* 3 pound piece of boneless New York strip loin cut from the rib end, preferably USDA Prime

* The beurre Colbert:

* The beef:

* 1/4 cup canola oil

Instructions: Trim the beef of any superfluous fat and silverskin, leaving about 1/4 to 1/3 inch of fat on top. Pat the meat dry with a paper towel. Let it come to room temperature uncovered. The meat will form a better crust when seared if all surfaces are thoroughly dry.

Prepare the beurre Colbert: In a small saucepan, reduce the veal stock over moderate heat to 1/4 cup. It should be syrupy. Allow the stock to cool to about 100° (just above body temperature). Put the softened butter in a bowl and add the reduced stock, using a rubber spatula to get every drop of the stock. Whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in the shallots and herbs. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Leave the seasoned butter at room temperature while you cook the beef.

Season the beef liberally all over with salt and pepper. Heat a 12-inch skillet over high heat. Add the canola oil to the hot skillet. When the oil just begins to smoke, add the beef, fat side down. To avoid splattering yourself with hot oil, place the meat in the pan gradually, starting at the edge of the skillet closest to you and ending at the far edge. Sear the fat side until well browned, about 4 minutes, then turn and sear both ends of the meat and, lastly, the bottom. Transfer the meat to a plate and discard all the fat in the skillet. Let the skillet cool slightly, then wipe it out with paper towels. Return it to moderate heat and add the butter, garlic and thyme. When the butter melts and begins to foam, return the meat to the skillet and spoon some of the seasoned butter over it.

Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast the beef to the desired doneness, basting it every 7 minutes or so with the buttery pan juices. Use a meat thermometer or probe to check doneness at the thickest part of the roast, and remember that the internal temperature will climb 10 to 15 degrees as the meat rests. Final internal temperature after resting is 125° for rare meat, 132° to 135° for medium rare, 142° for medium, 150° for medium well and 160° for well done.

Let the roast rest in a warm area for 15-20 minutes before carving. Slice into six uniformly thick medallions. Season the sliced surfaces with freshly ground pepper and a few grains of sel gris before transferring to the serving plate. Dollop each serving with some of the beurre Colbert, or shape the butter with two spoons into attractive quenelles and serve on the side.

Per serving: 540 calories, 54 g protein, 4 g carbohydrate, 33 g fat (18 g saturated), 205 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 0 fiber.
Silly question...why does the recipe have you do a "whole head of garlic, halved crosswise?" Are you just supposed to put large pieces of garlic in the pan when you are roasting the meat? Seems odd.Otherwise it looks delicious, might have to do that over the weekend after xmas!

Thanks!

I have a friend whose opinion I really, really respect. Former chef. I've tried many dishes he's made, all of them terrific. He's doing a prime rib for Christmas (as am I) and we were talking about it today. He said it's a must to get it cooked to 135 and then let it sit. Ideally serve at the 150 range. After reading this thread, I thought he was nuts. Said not many people like a rare steak, even prime rib.

Isn't 150 terrible for this? Is he just off here? I was planning to take it out at 120.

I have a friend whose opinion I really, really respect. Former chef. I've tried many dishes he's made, all of them terrific. He's doing a prime rib for Christmas (as am I) and we were talking about it today. He said it's a must to get it cooked to 135 and then let it sit. Ideally serve at the 150 range. After reading this thread, I thought he was nuts. Said not many people like a rare steak, even prime rib. Isn't 150 terrible for this? Is he just off here? I was planning to take it out at 120.
Cooking temps have come way down in recent years. People used to think pork had to go to some insane 160 or something even though there have been no cases of trichnosis since the 1920s. Bad stuff lives on the outside of meat. There's absolutely no way something survives inside the meat unless it's some spiral cut ham or something niche like that. 120 is fine. let the sucker rest long enough.
True enough. His point was that people will not like to cut through a really red piece of meat. He thinks I should get it to at least medium rare, and pulling it at 118 fails to do that. I do have one picky eater, but I just figured I would throw hers back in until it gets to the temp she likes. Everybody else there likes a nice red cut of prime rib.

I have a friend whose opinion I really, really respect. Former chef. I've tried many dishes he's made, all of them terrific. He's doing a prime rib for Christmas (as am I) and we were talking about it today. He said it's a must to get it cooked to 135 and then let it sit. Ideally serve at the 150 range. After reading this thread, I thought he was nuts. Said not many people like a rare steak, even prime rib. Isn't 150 terrible for this? Is he just off here? I was planning to take it out at 120.
Cooking temps have come way down in recent years. People used to think pork had to go to some insane 160 or something even though there have been no cases of trichnosis since the 1920s. Bad stuff lives on the outside of meat. There's absolutely no way something survives inside the meat unless it's some spiral cut ham or something niche like that. 120 is fine. let the sucker rest long enough.
True enough. His point was that people will not like to cut through a really red piece of meat. He thinks I should get it to at least medium rare, and pulling it at 118 fails to do that. I do have one picky eater, but I just figured I would throw hers back in until it gets to the temp she likes. Everybody else there likes a nice red cut of prime rib.
I have always preferred steaks that would qualify as "under done," rare in a steak restaurant (cool center). But Prime Rib can be done a bit more towards medium rare, just the nature of the cut of meat, so Capella's friend is in a way correct, Prime Rib is not necessarily rare, but steaks can be. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
you know what you do with that is just sear it in a hot pan for 2 minutes on each side. Horrible, but sometimes you just have to do it.
I told her today that she can cook that #### herself. I want nothing to do with it.

Dont pull it out over 120 even with picky eater. I let my mother in law leave one in until 130 once because her husband likes medium well and the roast was basically ruined.Picky eaters can eat the ends, which will be medium if you take it out at 120

Serves 6

* The beurre Colbert:

* The beef:

* 1/4 cup canola oil

Silly question...why does the recipe have you do a "whole head of garlic, halved crosswise?" Are you just supposed to put large pieces of garlic in the pan when you are roasting the meat? Seems odd.Otherwise it looks delicious, might have to do that over the weekend after xmas!

Thanks!
Looks like he's just using the whole head to flavor the basting liquid maybe???

So I have two 15lb roasts, I would cook based on the time for just one roast since they won't be touching correct?

Hawks64 said:
So I have two 15lb roasts, I would cook based on the time for just one roast since they won't be touching correct?
I'd expect it to take a bit longer, bot not twice as long. I'd also ensure I rotated the meat, switching positions and orientations (i.e. left-right and front-back) a few times during cooking, so they cook evenly.

Hawks64 said:
I'd expect it to take a bit longer, bot not twice as long. I'd also ensure I rotated the meat, switching positions and orientations (i.e. left-right and front-back) a few times during cooking, so they cook evenly.
Plan on throwing it in around 1:00 for a 5pm serving time. That's about an hour longer than normal cooking time for a 15lb rib. Think that would be enough time?

Users who are viewing this thread