What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

push the tush play - horrible (Philly Fans Cling Desperately to Rugby Play In It's Final Year) (1 Viewer)

my issue is I find it to be a totally unentertaining play that adds absolutely nothing to the game...I hope it gets banned so I don't have to watch it anymore.
How is it any less entertaining than a RB running into the pile? Should that be banned too? Wouldn't a RB with an 8 yard head of steam be more dangerous?

Did I mention anything about injuries or dangerousness? I did not...if you like the play than hopefully they keep it so you can watch it...maybe they can bring back leather helmets without facemasks next...I just have no use for this play as a fan, but others do so that's just how it is.
OK, I only mentioned injury because that seems to be today's issue with the play - people are worried its dangerous even though no QB has been injured. You did not, so fair enough.

But you did say it should be banned because its boring. Is it more boring than if a RB ran into the pile? I feel like people are just looking for reasons to ban it but don't really have a good one other than "I don't like it".

my issue is I find it to be a totally unentertaining play that adds absolutely nothing to the game...I hope it gets banned so I don't have to watch it anymore.
How is it any less entertaining than a RB running into the pile? Should that be banned too? Wouldn't a RB with an 8 yard head of steam be more dangerous?

Did I mention anything about injuries or dangerousness? I did not...if you like the play than hopefully they keep it so you can watch it...maybe they can bring back leather helmets without facemasks next...I just have no use for this play as a fan, but others do so that's just how it is.
OK, I only mentioned injury because that seems to be today's issue with the play - people are worried its dangerous even though no QB has been injured. You did not, so fair enough.

But you did say it should be banned because its boring. Is it more boring than if a RB ran into the pile? I feel like people are just looking for reasons to ban it but don't really have a good one other than "I don't like it".

My point is definitely that I don't like it...I am not pretending otherwise...I don't even consider it a football play...it is way more boring than a RB running into the pile because with good blocking the outcome is not running into the pile...when I start seeing this play produce 30, 40 or 50 yard gains I will change my mind...if you want to compare it to a play the correct one is a QB sneak but that play seems to have a lot more room for failure due to good D or a legit fear of the franchise QB getting hurt.

My point is definitely that I don't like it...I am not pretending otherwise...I don't even consider it a football play...it is way more boring than a RB running into the pile because with good blocking the outcome is not running into the pile...when I start seeing this play produce 30, 40 or 50 yard gains I will change my mind...if you want to compare it to a play the correct one is a QB sneak but that play seems to have a lot more room for failure due to good D or a legit fear of the franchise QB getting hurt.
You know what I find boring? Punts. Punts are boring. Just my opinion.

You know what I find boring? Punts. Punts are boring. Just my opinion.

I find punt returns to be exciting but everyone has their own opinions.

Peter King is still complaining:
Here’s what he wrote about it in his latest Football Monday in America column:

My problem, aside from the fact that it’s not a football play, is that it’s only a matter of time before a quarterback gets hurt on the play. In the Super Bowl, on one Hurts sneak, Kansas City sent a defensive lineman, missile-like, over the scrum at the line of scrimmage. How dangerous is a 290-pound projectile hurtling toward a quarterback? How fortunate is it that he, or Hurts, was not concussed on that play?

“There are people within the committee and people within the survey that weren’t big fans of the play and were concerned about the safety aspect of it,” McKay said.

So the NFL will wait until a quarterback gets hurt. Then it will take action, presumably—after the position the league has sworn to protect is diminished by an injury to, perhaps, a marquee player.

How about the NFL bans players from launching themselves "missle-like over the scrum" helmet first? That seems like a bigger safety issue for any play imo. If it was just an RB running up into the pile and a defender launched themselves "missle-like", wouldn't that be just as dangerous? How dangerous is a 290-pound player hurtling towards any player?

Exactly this. I don't think "Oh everyone is just going to do this now" as much as people think. Why hadn't any other team done it much in the past, it's not like Philly discovered this brilliant innovative play. Everyone could do it if they wanted and chose not to. Not many/any QB's have the leg strength that Hurts has. I guarantee you Payton won't be calling this play often for Russel.
I think the Eagles mastered the technique. It was something they spend the off season figuring out the nuances and how to maximize the effectiveness. It could be that they have a unique set of players that allows this to work every time and other teams won't have that ability. If that is the case then carry on. Congrats to the Eagles. Great Job!

However, this is a copycat league and when something works other teams will implement it. Now teams have a full year of tape and time to incorporate what was done and I think every team will have some form of this and be very successful. I believe it is a huge advantage for the offense and is only stopped if the offense doesn't execute. I don't think the defense will be able to stop it if executed properly. This is why I would outlaw it. It has nothing to do with the Eagles specifically. I think the league will over use an unstoppable play and I don't care for that type of play. It is boring and not football. If I wanted to watch a scrum based game I would watch rugby.

I could be wrong (and I hope I am) and other teams won't perfect it. If that is the case then good on the Eagles and keep rolling. I will have no issue.

My problem, aside from the fact that it’s not a football play, is that it’s only a matter of time before a quarterback gets hurt on the play. In the Super Bowl, on one Hurts sneak, Kansas City sent a defensive lineman, missile-like, over the scrum at the line of scrimmage. How dangerous is a 290-pound projectile hurtling toward a quarterback? How fortunate is it that he, or Hurts, was not concussed on that play?

“There are people within the committee and people within the survey that weren’t big fans of the play and were concerned about the safety aspect of it,” McKay said.

So the NFL will wait until a quarterback gets hurt. Then it will take action, presumably—after the position the league has sworn to protect is diminished by an injury to, perhaps, a marquee player.

How about the NFL bans players from launching themselves "missle-like over the scrum" helmet first? That seems like a bigger safety issue for any play imo. If it was just an RB running up into the pile and a defender launched themselves "missle-like", wouldn't that be just as dangerous? How dangerous is a 290-pound player hurtling towards any player?
Know what my problem is? ITS NOT NEW. Its been here for 17 frigging hears since they changed it back in like 2005. So let me ask why now ban it, assuming you are of the umbrella "well its not bc the Eagles do it so much"

Every argument is a lame hypothetical or just lame on its own merit:

"Its not eye appealing" sure. There are 10 other rules at minimum that don't excite me or make my eyes twitch.

"Its more like rugby" - Do you know ANYTHING about football? The roots are running the ball, trench warfare.

"Players might get injured" - Well well well, people get injured in football all the time b/c ya know, its bodies colliding all the time.

"Players will be hurtling toward the QB" - you obviously don't understand physics or momentum.

Long list, quit the crying already. Go ahead, plot all your data points for this season and then lets come back to it next year I guess.

My argument is that I think it gives the offense and unfair advantage if executed (not fumbling the snap). I don't think the defense can prevent this play from getting 1 to 5 yards every time (ok in reality 95+%). I think this will be the case for all NFL teams (not just the Eagles). It's a copy cat league and teams will copy the Eagles after having tape and seeing it's effectiveness.

Of course this is hypothetical and I could be wrong. If I am wrong and the Eagles are the only team that can do it at this rate then more power to them. Keep it going. If I am correct, then ban it because it is boring because you know the outcome and it will skew the game into an 8 yd game. Get 8 yds on the first two down and scrum it up on 3rd and 4th down. I could also see the better O=lines getting 4 or 5 yards each time with a 260 lb TE at QB. Then they can just do this every down and not be stopped. It's extreme but I could see it in the realm of possibilities. I see it similar to the specialization in baseball. The game becomes a 6 inning game with 3 relievers going innings 7-8-9 and game over.

It's just not a football game I want.

Know what my problem is? ITS NOT NEW. Its been here for 17 frigging hears since they changed it back in like 2005. So let me ask why now ban it, assuming you are of the umbrella "well its not bc the Eagles do it so much"

"Its not eye appealing" sure. There are 10 other rules at minimum that don't excite me or make my eyes twitch.

"Its more like rugby" - Do you know ANYTHING about football? The roots are running the ball, trench warfare.

"Players might get injured" - Well well well, people get injured in football all the time b/c ya know, its bodies colliding all the time.

"Players will be hurtling toward the QB" - you obviously don't understand physics or momentum.

Long list, quit the crying already. Go ahead, plot all your data points for this season and then lets come back to it next year I guess.
From the same article I linked:
  • Despite some opposition to the play, I’m told the league and the Competition Committee knew there were at least nine teams solidly against changing the rule that allows runners to be assisted from behind. Committee chair Rich McKay said Friday there are “certainly not” 24 teams that think the rule should be changed. Since at least 24 teams would have had to vote to change the rule, it was fruitless to bring it to a vote here.
  • The Competition Committee was not unanimously for changing the rule. Under committee rules, that’s necessary to bring a rule out of committee for a vote by the 32 teams.
  • There’s also pro-Eagles sentiment I’ve heard, sentiment that goes like this: The Eagles did nothing wrong. They played by the rules that were on the books, succeeded, and we’re not going to punish them for that.
Also, apparently the NFL wants to reduce punts, what better way than to have teams go for it (and convert) on short yardage situations.

5. I remember when punting mattered. Interesting that when Troy Vincent discussed punting on an NFL conference call Friday, his first comment was about how it is “the most penalized play, the most injurious play in the game.” Catch his drift? The NFL wants to significantly cut down on punts in the game. There’s a proposal here to have touchbacks on punts returned to the 25-yard line, not the 20-, in part to encourage teams with a fourth down near midfield to go for it instead of punting it away. But also because the returners parked around the 10-yard line might let more punts go in hopes that they bounce into the end zone.

Seems the punt causes the most injuries. So yes, let's try to minimize punts by having teams execute a play where, so far, absolutely no one has been injured. Allowing the "push the pile" play seems like a good idea in this light. If the NFL wants to cut down on the number of punts, banning the PtP play would seem counterintuitive.

My argument is that I think it gives the offense and unfair advantage if executed
I would 100% agree with this if the discussion was to ban ALL pushing from behind. If its unfair to help a QB under center, then it should be unfair to push a RB across the goal line or to get a WR that last yard for a first down. Let that be the discussion.

I would 100% agree with this if the discussion was to ban ALL pushing from behind. If its unfair to help a QB under center, then it should be unfair to push a RB across the goal line or to get a WR that last yard for a first down. Let that be the discussion.
I don't think downfield pushing and the QB scrum play have the same offensive advantage. The advantage I am seeing for the QB scrum play is that the offense knows when to fire off the ball so they are delivering the blow to the defense which will move back until they can get their "footing". This push is the difference (along with a lot more from behind) since the defense has to respect a fake. So the offense has more mass to push while also getting the "firing" off the ball of delivering that blow.

Downfield should be more even as there isn't a "start" like a snap. And the ball is already there so there is no fake to respect which allows the potential for even mass on both sides of the push. I don't really like the downfield pushing and would be fine with it going away but I don't see it as the same as the QB scrum because of the reasons above.

The Eagles actually started running different plays from the formation.

My argument is that I think it gives the offense and unfair advantage if executed

Or something like, once a defender is engaged with an offensive player, no other player is allowed to come in and assist that defender to impede the offensive players forward progress. No pushing in the back for offense AND defense.

How many times did they do that?

Injury risk is the absolute worst reason to ban it. There IS NO MOMENTUM on these plays. The risk is not higher then the typical off tackle RB rush, it's much lower.

There's a reason there havn't been any real injuries on the play. And the point about punts is right....the riskiest plays have always been the ones in the open field where players have been sprinting to get to a spot.....MOMENTUM matters

2 plays I believe. Off of the 39 total times they used this play all season.

There appears to be a large percentage of people that feel the push the pile play is awesome to watch, not an increased injury risk, etc and those that believe Joel Embiid is clearly the NBA MVP. Odd.

Glad the NFL owners will vote to open sports books in stadiums and flex Thursday night games but won't vote out Daniel Snyder or get rid of this stupid play. Football is Family.

There appears to be a large percentage of people that feel the push the pile play is awesome to watch, not an increased injury risk, etc and those that believe Joel Embiid is clearly the NBA MVP. Odd.

Glad the NFL owners will vote to open sports books in stadiums and flex Thursday night games but won't vote out Daniel Snyder or get rid of this stupid play. Football is Family.
Do you want to eliminate all QB sneaks or just the ones where the QB is pushed? If your answer is no, then why is a normal QB sneak awesome to watch but not when the QB is being pushed?

All football plays are an injury risk. QBs are most often injured while standing in the pocket. Just ask SF how safe the pocket is.

Off hand don't remember, probably 5 or 6 times toward the end of the season. They started faking the dive and pitching to a runner coming across the formation. Worked really well because teams would sell out on the dive.

The NFL probably did the right thing in not banning it this year, and see how other teams do trying to replicate it. If only one or two others are able to do it consistently (and there's no serious injuries arising out of the play), then there's no need to ban it. If 20+ teams are converting 90%+ of their 4th and shorts running it, then the play is too much of an advantage to the offense, and they should do something to ban it, because it's just not interesting to watch.

What "large percentage" think it's "awesome to watch"? Don't think some high percentage of people are saying that?

It's not an injury risk as much as a punt or open field play is. No momentum. Do you have any proof that this is an injury risk?

What does Embiid have to do with anything? I see where you're trying to draw the comparison "because Philly". He's the vegas favourite by a decent amount, so even non biased people think that he should be.

Weird take all over.

The NFL probably did the right thing in not banning it this year, and see how other teams do trying to replicate it. If only one or two others are able to do it consistently (and there's no serious injuries arising out of the play), then there's no need to ban it. If 20+ teams are converting 90%+ of their 4th and shorts running it, then the play is too much of an advantage to the offense, and they should do something to ban it, because it's just not interesting to watch.
How long did it take the NFL to change the tuck rule after the Raiders were clearly robbed? THAT should have been a rule to change immediately, but I believe it took the NFL over a decade to do so. I wonder why.

Sounds like the Eagles opponents didn't enjoy the prospect of the push play either. Neither should the competition committee.

When many teams are converting 1st downs with this play in 2023 (not just the team with the good offensive line and QB that can squat a lot) hopefully we'll see a rule change.

Sounds like the Eagles opponents didn't enjoy the prospect of the push play either. Neither should the competition committee.

When many teams are converting 1st downs with this play in 2023 (not just the team with the good offensive line and QB that can squat a lot) hopefully we'll see a rule change.
Yeah. Most times defenses don't like offensive plays that their team cannot stop. I like how its assumed that more teams/any teams can convert this just as easily as the Hurts-led Eagles did all last year.

This is such a weird discussion. It's a football play that's been around since 1920. It works. Get over it.
Not true. It was once an illegal play that was made legal again.
That doesn't change the fact the play has been around since the 1920's. And its been legal for the past 17 years and not until this past season was it brought up as some sort of "cheat" play.

This is such a weird discussion. It's a football play that's been around since 1920. It works. Get over it.
That doesn't change the fact the play has been around since the 1920's. And its been legal for the past 17 years and not until this past season was it brought up as some sort of "cheat" play.
"But some people are better at this play than others! That's not fair!"

I am not against it because it works. And if it turns out the Eagles are the only team that is successful with it then I say keep it in and let them do it. My fear (and at this point that is all it is) is that once other teams see film and master the play (this is a copycat league) it will lessen the excitement of the game. It will make the game a 2 down league. Get to 3rd and 4 or less and you get this play twice. It's just not fun to watch - especially if every team starts doing it.

Now, if this is a unique situation that the Eagles somehow have mastered that other teams can't. Continue on. Great job Eagles. Enjoy your spoils.

I am not against it because it works. And if it turns out the Eagles are the only team that is successful with it then I say keep it in and let them do it. My fear (and at this point that is all it is) is that once other teams see film and master the play (this is a copycat league) it will lessen the excitement of the game. It will make the game a 2 down league. Get to 3rd and 4 or less and you get this play twice. It's just not fun to watch - especially if every team starts doing it.

Now, if this is a unique situation that the Eagles somehow have mastered that other teams can't. Continue on. Great job Eagles. Enjoy your spoils.
Never been a fan of being able to push the pile forward but wondered why all teams weren't doing on 4th and short. Almost impossible to stop if you put a couple players behind the QB and push him forward. I always thought it was illegal to aid the runner, but guess that's only if you pull him forward. Can't believe teams haven't been doing this forever.

So wait, which one is it? Has it been consistently legal since the 1920s, or legal for the past 17 years? (Note: I have zero idea what the answer is)

So wait, which one is it? Has it been consistently legal since the 1920s, or legal for the past 17 years? (Note: I have zero idea what the answer is)
Its both. You are trying to take a post of "its been a football play that's been around since 1920" and translating it to something like "Its been a legal play since 1920"

Has the play been around since the 1920s? Sure it has.
Was it make illegal at some point? Sure it was, but that doesn't change the fact that the play itself has been around 100+ years.
Is it legal now? Sure is!

Its both. You are trying to take a post of "its been a football play that's been around since 1920" and translating it to something like "Its been a legal play since 1920"

Was it make illegal at some point? Sure it was, but that doesn't change the fact that the play itself has been around 100+ years.
I was just asking a question that I didn’t know the answer to, and the 1920s comment made me wonder what the deal was.

Now, why is it relevant to mention that the play has been around since the 1920s in context of this discussion? Zero idea, but if I dwelled on that in every debate on FBGs, it would be a never ending time suck on my life.

I was just asking a question that I didn’t know the answer to, and the 1920s comment made me wonder what the deal was.

Now, why is it relevant to mention that the play has been around since the 1920s in context of this discussion? Zero idea, but if I dwelled on that in every debate on FBGs, it would be a never ending time suck on my life.
I think the reason the play is being discussed for being around 100 years is basically "This isn't new. There are ways to stop it other than just trying to outlaw it"
Game started as a running/ground attack style of game that only until very recently has it switched to a pass pass pass type of game. Just my take on the takes.

I think the reason the play is being discussed for being around 100 years is basically "This isn't new. There are ways to stop it other than just trying to outlaw it"
Game started as a running/ground attack style of game that only until very recently has it switched to a pass pass pass type of game. Just my take on the takes.
Yeah, fair enough. But it sounds like it was outlawed at some point — and has really actually only been around for 17 years. The 1920s comment is a red herring (just like communism - shout out to Tim Curry and Clue)

There really is a simple answer to this. Outlaw the pushing the QB from behind right after a snap.

If the QB turns up field 5 yards and the people start pushing the pile, cool. If a running breaks a 12 yard run and both safeties hold him up trying to strip the ball and a few teammates come in and push him forward, great, if a QB takes a snap lowers his head and gets pushed then flag it 5 yards and replay the down.

Yeah. Most times defenses don't like offensive plays that their team cannot stop. I like how its assumed that more teams/any teams can convert this just as easily as the Hurts-led Eagles did all last year.
Right?!?!

NOONE IS AS GOOD AS THE EAGLES!!! NOONE!!!!!!!!11111!!!

Right?!?!

NOONE IS AS GOOD AS THE EAGLES!!! NOONE!!!!!!!!11111!!!
Correct. At this play, the stats bear that out, that the Eagles are definitely the best in the NFL at this play.

With that said, its more Jalen + this offensive line (and it might not be the same effectiveness exactly without Isaac Seumalo in all honesty) on this play than simply the team and the offensive line alone. The Eagles tried a few times with Gardner Minshew and I don't think he converted a single attempt. We will see how well they do with it this year, but I expect there to definitely be more checks to "trick" plays like reverses or pitchouts when everyone is expecting it to be the same thing over and over.

There really is a simple answer to this. Outlaw the pushing the QB from behind right after a snap.

If the QB turns up field 5 yards and the people start pushing the pile, cool. If a running breaks a 12 yard run and both safeties hold him up trying to strip the ball and a few teammates come in and push him forward, great, if a QB takes a snap lowers his head and gets pushed then flag it 5 yards and replay the down.
How about we just don’t allow anyone to push the ball carrier forward?

Users who are viewing this thread