What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (2 Viewers)

Interesting theory I heard about the alleged prearrangement the Packers and Jets had on compensation. Did the Jets betray that agreement, by going around the Packers and signing Lazard? I have no idea if the Packers had the desire to resign Lazard or not, but if the Jets were negotiating with the Packers and then pillaging their roster at the same time, they may have irritated the front office to dig in for more

I think he came across well. He also basically admitted the Packers don’t want him anymore.
Well…thats definitely his side. And while Im sure there is some of that. There has also seemed to have been him wanting to move on some too. And some of their wanting to move on with Love is a tiring of having their moves and offfseason so dictated by one player. Cant blame either the team or him on this. A good time to move on for both.
Seems that he is still butt hurt that the current administration drafted Love in 2020. For as much as he professes to be "it is what it is" kinda guy, he didn't come across that way in respect to the GB's decision to find his replacement. It's just so ironic that Rodgers was on the other side of it when the club had deal with Favre's successor.
Im pretty sure he was mad they drafted Love because they had an excellent team and wasted a 1st on a player who couldnt help. 12 years now since they drafted an offensive player in the first round other than Love??

I'm just going to throw this out there, and it's something a lot of Packer fans said at the time they drafted Love. Drafting Love lit a fire under Rodgers. Rodgers is a chip on the shoulder makes him better kind of guy. The way he improved from 2019 to 2020 and 2021 was probably well worth a first. If people want to argue Rodgers was going to be that good without having that insult happen to him, fine. Have no way to prove it one way or another.

I think it's at least possible that if the Pack drafts Patrick Queen instead of Love, the defense is better, Rodgers is happier but doesn't perform like an MVP, loses interest and retires after 2021 or something. Maybe the Jets will get a highly motivated Rodgers who will perform like an MVP just to stick it to the Pack. He is one weird dude.

Interesting theory I heard about the alleged prearrangement the Packers and Jets had on compensation. Did the Jets betray that agreement, by going around the Packers and signing Lazard? I have no idea if the Packers had the desire to resign Lazard or not, but if the Jets were negotiating with the Packers and then pillaging their roster at the same time, they may have irritated the front office to dig in for more

FWIW - Reported yesterday on Get Up that it was one of Nate Hackett's suggestions to target Lazard as a veteran presence that could set an example for the young WR corps there (familiarity, professional attitude, beast of a blocker, etc.). More/less saying that Lazard was on the radar prior to the latest Aaron Rogers drama.

Also FWIW - If I were GB, I would hold up this Rogers deal as long as possible... a little taste for Rogers of what it must be like to deal with Rogers.

I don't understand the Jets unwillingness to give the Packers what they want. They are essentially signing Rodgers to a 1 year deal, with the belief he will win them a Super Bowl. Is there #13 not worth that?

I don't think the Rams regret the Stafford trade

I don't understand the Jets unwillingness to give the Packers what they want.
:lmao:
I guess just isolating a sentence of what I wrote aligns with today's world of cherry picking for your own narrative. My point is, they seem to think they are merely a qb away. I understand each side wants to "win" the trade. However, if the Packers are truly "dug in" and the only thing sitting between the Jets and their fans winning a Super Bowl is trading the #13 pick instead of #43, that seems like a small price.

I would assume every Jets fan out there would be fine with that trade, if you truly think it gives you that chance. Yes, they can both play chicken but only one team is sacrificing a potential Lombardi trophy.

Rodgers ability to trust and gel with new and young pass catchers is well documented. He communicates a ton at the line of scrimmage with hand signals. He also doesn't like to attend OTA's or practice. Yes, he knows the offensive system. The rest of the, very young, Jets skill players do not. Nothing like letting them spend all offseason and training camp learning from Zach Wilson and than having Rodgers scream and stare them down week one

Last edited:
I think he came across well. He also basically admitted the Packers don’t want him anymore.
Well…thats definitely his side. And while Im sure there is some of that. There has also seemed to have been him wanting to move on some too. And some of their wanting to move on with Love is a tiring of having their moves and offfseason so dictated by one player. Cant blame either the team or him on this. A good time to move on for both.
Seems that he is still butt hurt that the current administration drafted Love in 2020. For as much as he professes to be "it is what it is" kinda guy, he didn't come across that way in respect to the GB's decision to find his replacement. It's just so ironic that Rodgers was on the other side of it when the club had deal with Favre's successor.
I'm pretty sure he was mad they drafted Love because they had an excellent team and wasted a 1st on a player who couldnt help. 12 years now since they drafted an offensive player in the first round other than Love??
That is a media driven narrative. Packers drafted very good offensive weapons (Jordy, Davante, AJ Dillon as 2nd rounders, Aaron Jones in the 5th, brought back Cobb, they signed Jimmy Graham at Rodgers behest. What likely sticks in Rodgers craw is not only did GB draft Love (instead of Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman Jr.), they gave up draft capital to move UP for Love. I don't know the guy and I shouldn't profess to know what he thinks but his words regarding the current administration on the McAfee show yesterday seemed to me to be the wedge that has driven them apart.

I'm pretty sure he was mad they drafted Love because they had an excellent team and wasted a 1st on a player who couldnt help. 12 years now since they drafted an offensive player in the first round other than Love??
That is a media driven narrative. Packers drafted very good offensive weapons (Jordy, Davante, AJ Dillon as 2nd rounders, Aaron Jones in the 5th, brought back Cobb, they signed Jimmy Graham at Rodgers behest. What likely sticks in Rodgers craw is not only did GB draft Love (instead of Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman Jr.), they gave up draft capital to move UP for Love. I don't know the guy and I shouldn't profess to know what he thinks but his words regarding the current administration on the McAfee show yesterday seemed to me to be the wedge that has driven them apart.
Media driven? It was my first though when watching the draft

He should have been annoyed by it. Fans should have been too. Gutey blew a shot at another trophy. Should have gotten the guy another weapon at WR.

Rodgers on McAfee show:

“I'm debatably the best player in franchise history,” Rodgers said. “I'm in the conversation for sure. What's not debatable is I'm the longest-tenured Packer in history. You can debate the first part, obviously Bart (Starr), Brett (Favre), a number of names have been incredible. But you can't debate that anybody has been there longer than I have. And nobody has bled green and gold like me.”

Rodgers on McAfee show:

“I'm debatably the best player in franchise history,” Rodgers said. “I'm in the conversation for sure. What's not debatable is I'm the longest-tenured Packer in history. You can debate the first part, obviously Bart (Starr), Brett (Favre), a number of names have been incredible. But you can't debate that anybody has been there longer than I have. And nobody has bled green and gold like me.”

What an ego on this guy. Can't wait for him to leave the division so I can ignore him.

So the Jets starting receivers will be Lazard, Cobb, and OBJ, with Wilson, Moore and Davis on the bench. Good plan coach Rodgers.
Wow. Just saw some highlights of last year's highliGarrett Wilson
Rodgers on McAfee show:

What an ego on this guy. Can't wait for him to leave the division so I can ignore him.
Lol Wonder how Lombardi would react to that if he was still coaching?

I couldn't care less about Rodgers and his diva feelings, but Green Bay totally mishandled that IMO. Then they doubled down and made it worse by giving him that contract last year. It has been front office malpractice.

Rodgers on McAfee show:

None of this is controversial in any way but it is a bit odd that a player of his stature - truly one of the best ever - feels a need to say it out loud. I guess maybe context matters and since I didn't watch the interview I can't speak to that.

You mentioned that GB hasn't drafted an offensive player in the 1st round other than Love in 12 years. The media driven narrative is that that has been a bad thing for Rodgers and GB. GB has found some pretty good offensive players outside the first round in that span. I and most Packer fans I know where pissed that they picked Love but they did and you move on. Seems that Rodgers hasn't...but he's an "is what it is kinda guy."

Rodgers on McAfee show:

None of this is controversial in any way but it is a bit odd that a player of his stature - truly one of the best ever - feels a need to say it out loud. I guess maybe context matters and since I didn't watch the interview I can't speak to that.
It seemed as though after all he did for them, he'd like them to grant his request to move them now rather than spend months negotiating and extracting max value. Will they? Who knows.

couldn't care less about Rodgers and his diva feelings, but Green Bay totally mishandled that IMO. Then they doubled down and made it worse by giving him that contract last year. It has been front office malpractice.
Some want to blame one specific person or team, but this whole event has been a dumpster fire from all 3 sides. You madea valid point about GB, NYJ put themselves here by drafting Zach, and everyone knows what an *** AR is.

I guess just isolating a sentence of what I wrote aligns with today's world of cherry picking for your own narrative.
I was just trying to make it easier on the readers by cropping (plus the joke worked better). I honestly don't agree with anything that followed - so I went with the light hearted approach.

But generally, I don't see why it would be puzzling to you that one side wouldn't just willing give in, when the Packers have little, if any, leverage in the negotiations. Like I said both sides want the same thing - but the Jets don't want to just over-pay - why would they want to weaken their team unnecessarily?. It may take time, but reasonable minds will work it out.

Last edited:
What wasn't true? - and he left room for debate. I don't want to defend the guy either but sometimes if we looked from the outside, we'd be the ones with the giant egos for judging everything a very successful person has done.

Rodgers on McAfee show:

It seemed as though after all he did for them, he'd like them to grant his request to move them now rather than spend months negotiating and extracting max value. Will they? Who knows.

I don't understand what this means. The team is obviously trying to trade him. No one outside the room knows what's holding it up. Both teams have leverage and neither has an easy way out of it, so they have to find some common ground.

Rodgers on McAfee show:

I don't understand what this means. The team is obviously trying to trade him. No one outside the room knows what's holding it up. Both teams have leverage and neither has an easy way out of it, so they have to find some common ground.
Right, and it sounds like he's asking the Packers to be the ones to give in a tad to get it done.

Rodgers on McAfee show:

Right, and it sounds like he's asking the Packers to be the ones to give in a tad to get it done.

If his goal was to encourage the Packers to cave and get a deal done on less than ideal terms, he really should have stayed home and contacted them privately. I think the leverage issue is complicated and probably doesn't strongly favor either team, but his interview yesterday seems to have put the Jets in a no-way-back situation.

Rodgers on McAfee show:

If his goal was to encourage the Packers to cave and get a deal done on less than ideal terms, he really should have stayed home and contacted them privately. I think the leverage issue is complicated and probably doesn't strongly favor either team, but his interview yesterday seems to have put the Jets in a no-way-back situation.
Ummm, everyone watched that interview to see him say he is gonna be a Jet. The interview didn't exactly break any news.
Also, isn't Rodgers cap hit affecting what the Pack can do in free agency?

Rodgers on McAfee show:

Ummm, everyone watched that interview to see him say he is gonna be a Jet. The interview didn't exactly break any news.

I thought he said "my intention is to play for the Jets"... which would be correct since the decision is not 100% his to make.

Rodgers on McAfee show:

The Packers will eat a big cap hit this year if/when a trade is made. Its not really affecting anything now. But I'm sure everyone wants to get something done soon.

Rodgers on McAfee show:

The Packers will eat a big cap hit this year if/when a trade is made. Its not really affecting anything now. But I'm sure everyone wants to get something done soon.
Yes, he’s on their cap either way so it’s true they have no impetus to make the trade quick, but why wouldn’t they?
Another thing people miss is these owners are all dealing with a limited market and they all also have a common interest. They’re not looking to screw each other.

Rodgers on McAfee show:

Why would they?

Rodgers on McAfee show:

I think he was saying it in a way to praise the Packer organization- or what an honor it was to play for it, but of course he did make it more about him, as if it wasn’t enough already. He clearly has a big ego, but most greats do. Some just display it in a more classy manner.

Rodgers on McAfee show:

Why would they?
Because he asked nicely??

I guess the trade details between the two teams may not be entirely worked out? Seems really an odd situation if that is the case. There’s pretty much no way back for either team at this point so would expect whatever the sticking points are to be worked out very soon.
I wish more of the discussion was about trade compensation and not other fluff that media keeps throwing out there. I think it could be an interesting contract structure with the initial value being 2 2nd round picks (24 and 25) that could each become a 1st round pick if NYJ make the playoffs each of the next 2 seasons. Something like that would be fascinating.
The rumor a short while back was a 2023 second and a 2024 third that could escalate to a first if the Jets go deep in the playoffs. I think GB maybe now thinks they have some leverage and are pushing for more - but I think it ends up somewhere in that range.

If they are truly still at the point where there is no agreement on the picks being traded, that’s just really strange. I think it’s unlikely, but if that is the case, the relative leverage between the two teams is an interesting question. The Packers can’t possibly keep him, nor can they cut him, and there’s only one destination he can be traded to. At the same time, the Jets bed is made - there doesn’t seem to be a plan B available for them at this point.
The Packers and Jets are in a staring contest right now, and they don't actually have to agree on a trade for a long time.

The NFL, like many businesses, is driven by deadlines. The challenge becomes determining a deadline for this trade. As previously mentioned, the Packers are willing to wait until the draft. The ultimate deadline, if we take it to the extreme, is Week One, at which point his $58.3 million option bonus becomes guaranteed base salary if not exercised.

For the Jets, what’s the deadline? There’s a desire to get it done now. But do they need Rodgers now? Do they need him for the start of the offseason program? He knows the system, given his connection to offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett. Given Rodgers’s recent habit of skipping OTAs, maybe the Jets should take the position that the real deadline is the opening of training camp.

Regardless, unless someone blinks, the deal isn’t happening now.

A good QB can add something like 6 wins to a team.
What's this based on?
I'm interested in what was considered a good QB, what QB's/teams were used for the study, and what QB/teams might have been left out.
Cousins cost the Vikings games his first season there vs. their previous season; that's the reason I'm asking.
If you've got a link or something to share, thank you.

A good QB can add something like 6 wins to a team.
What's this based on?
I'm interested in what was considered a good QB, what QB's/teams were used for the study, and what QB/teams might have been left out.
Cousins cost the Vikings games his first season there vs. their previous season; that's the reason I'm asking.
If you've got a link or something to share, thank you.
PFF is pretty secretive about their WAR numbers, but I have this as a general number for a toov5ish QB. Cousins would have gad a pretty high WAR. I expect he added wins even if the team went backwards

PFF is pretty secretive about their WAR numbers, but I have this as a general number for a toov5ish QB. Cousins would have gad a pretty high WAR. I expect he added wins even if the team went backwards
In the case of Cousins, how can this be?
I'm just asking, not attacking your view, if that's not clear. Vikings lost wins after acquiring Cousins. A metric where the reverse is shown seems odd to me.

Cynthia Frelund projects he's worth 5.8 wins
Historically, he holds onto the ball and takes alot of sacks and hits. This is not Brady. His injury risk at age 39-40 needs to be taken into account. GB had a great run game too.

The big question for Rodgers is what effect his broken thumb had last season, as well as other reasons for his drop-off in production, as opposed to the notion that he's just getting older and less effective. It seems pretty clear a broken thumb and losing #17 is going to have a big effect on a quarterback's play, but at the same time he didn't seem to be himself. He was still good for one or two jaw-dropping plays or throws each game, but also never hit 300 yards in a game, had way more bad throws, interceptions and missed plays than we're used to seeing. If he goes to NY, I think the team is going to want him to participate in OTA and pre-season, something he hasn't done for several years now in Green Bay. He's got a big chip on his shoulder right now, which is great news for his new team, but I still don't see him ever doing extra off-season work with his receivers like Mahomes did last summer.
Rodgers has always been at his best when he plays with a chip on his shoulder. He rode the drop in the draft for motivation for a few years and then after he had a couple of down years the Packers drafted Love. That motivated Rodgers to two MVP seasons. This will be a BIG chip on his shoulder.

On the other hand, he says he was 90% sure he was going to retire. That's gotta be bothersome.

Have to be impressed with this GB QB run:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
An incredible run. That's an MVP nearly every fourth season.
Mike Tannenbaum
@RealTannenbaum
Favre and Rodgers Combined for the Packers:

30 Seasons 23f3.png(1992-2022)
307 Wins 1f396.png
2 Championships 1f947.png
917 TDs 36-20e3.png
290 Interceptions 274c.png

7 MVPs 1f3c6.png

Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
Mike Tannenbaum
@RealTannenbaum

30 Seasons View attachment 3544(1992-2022)
307 Wins View attachment 3545
2 Championships View attachment 3546
917 TDs View attachment 3547
290 Interceptions View attachment 3548

7 MVPs View attachment 3549
And all we ever hear is complaints.
Try being a Browns fan. You get whinier QBs who lose 90% of the time.

Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
Mike Tannenbaum
@RealTannenbaum

30 Seasons View attachment 3544(1992-2022)
307 Wins View attachment 3545
2 Championships View attachment 3546
917 TDs View attachment 3547
290 Interceptions View attachment 3548

7 MVPs View attachment 3549
And yet I loved Majik the most

How did the Jets not have trade framework set already? Very weird
It sounds like they did have a framework agreement worked out, but now the Pack are now looking at what they think is some leverage and deciding to squeeze a little more. Every report has contradicted the other ones though - so at this point I think it's just prudent to wait it out.

Users who are viewing this thread