What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (2 Viewers)

Immature dude in a town like Miami? That should end well. 
Aren’t most of these guys pretty immature coming right out of college? This guy looks like a competitor and a winner to me. I’m not sure how I’d feel about giving up a ransom and trading up to get him, but if he’s there at 11, I’d be thrilled if they took him :shrug:  

How mature was anyone at 22?
You have a point overall, but there is a world of difference between a guy like Luck and a guy like Manziel.  I get the talent, but I want the dude that locks himself in the film room, not the guy that is grabbing his junk and hitting the strip clubs.  

You have a point overall, but there is a world of difference between a guy like Luck and a guy like Manziel.  I get the talent, but I want the dude that locks himself in the film room, not the guy that is grabbing his junk and hitting the strip clubs.  
And this is a big part of the problem with this guy. Too many Manziel comparisons. I hope he slips because some owners think this way...

Mayfield is WAY closer to Luck than Manziel.

The last step down to Manziel is a doozy.  BM isn't even in shouting distance of Manziel.

How mature was anyone at 22?
Go back and re-read some of those Tom Brady interviews during the first Super Bowl he was in, ugh.  Awkward to the point of painfully awkward.

Good take.

We should strive to give young kids a break without being too quick to judge. Some people are close minded and think people don't mature after age 21 but most mature quickly and turn into decent people.    

I am not sure if this has been said.

As an OU fan I have watched a lot of Baker Mayfield.  While he is a big competitor, I am not sure how well his game will transfer to the NFL.  I feel that part of his success is a product of the system.  How many OU QBs have we seen succeed in the NFL?  I hope I am wrong, but I would feel very nervous drafting him in the first round, personality aside.

As an OU fan I have watched a lot of Baker Mayfield.  While he is a big competitor, I am not sure how well his game will transfer to the NFL.  I feel that part of his success is a product of the system.  How many OU QBs have we seen succeed in the NFL?  I hope I am wrong, but I would feel very nervous drafting him in the first round, personality aside.
I wonder if any QB’s game from that conference will transfer. Outside of the Kansas schools and one other school, each team’s best QB completed 60% or better of their passes.

I know Mayfield completed a league best 71% but I think I read that about 23% of that were completed behind the line of scrimmage.

Well bradford has been injury prone but hes a good qb from OU

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if any QB’s game from that conference will transfer. Outside of the Kansas schools and one other school, each team’s best QB completed 60% or better of their passes.

I know Mayfield completed a league best 71% but I think I read that about 23% of that were completed behind the line of scrimmage.
23% of passes behind the line of scrimmage doesn't sound unusual. This old Greg Peshek article says that the average college QB throws 22% of his passes 0 or negative yards downfield.

Anyone who knows Mayfield thinks any comparison is dumb.   Manzel cares about the glamour and the fallout that comes from football, Mayfield is a gym rat who cares about football and gets drunk sometimes.  Compare him to Rivers more than to Manziel, he needs to work on his footwork but whoever drafts him gets a guy that probably starts on day one in any situation where there isn't a proven guy.  He's a maniac, his energy is on the field not in the dance club.   

Id love to see this kid succeed, the NFL needs this type of guy......but if I'm a GM with my job tied to his success..........ugh, I'm puckering a little

I haven't made a final decision yet on the order I'll have the QBs as far as FF is concerned. I pretty much know which way I'm leaning, but I want to get more data & see where these guys end up.

The only thing I'll say right now about Mayfield is if an NFL team takes Allen ahead of him, their GM deserves to be fired on the spot.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't made a final decision yet on the order I'll have the QBs as far as FF is concerned. I pretty much know which way I'm leaning, but I want to get more data & see where these guys end up.

The only thing I'll say right now about Mayfield is if an NFL team takes Allen ahead of him, their GM deserves to be fired on the spot.

Absolutely ridiculous.
When taking qbs nfl gms go for upside. Also for better or worse the like em big. Thats why brees fell to round 2 and russell wilson to round3. Mayfield is excellent but i feel his landing spot needs to be perfect

This is so overblown. His teammates love him, the coaches love him, the fan base loves him, and his work ethic has never been questioned. He's confident as hell, no question, but if he doesn't work out in the NFL it won't be because of personality issues. 

Also think his draft stock is going to rise significantly after teams get to interview him. I've watched him in press conferences at OU for 3 years, and he is the most articulate / charismatic QB we've ever had. Such a breath of fresh air after wet blanket personalities of Jason White / Sam Bradford / Landry Jones.

Absolutely ridiculous.
Well somebody is probably gonna get fired then.

Marcus Mosher‏Verified account @Marcus_Mosher

FollowFollow @Marcus_Mosher

NFL Network's Charlie Casserly on QB Baker Mayfield: "He's a better QB coming out of college than Jared Goff."

Not that it's a huge deal, but did I see he measured in at barely over 6' and under 210 lbs? 
Rotoworld:

Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield checked in at 6-feet and 3/8ths tall, 216-pounds and 9 1/2 inch hands at the Senior Bowl.

The rumors and fears can end. We know Mayfield is not tall, but any height that does not begin with a "5" is a positive. Also, Mayfield is over the hand size threshold for the position. Mayfield's family is still dealing with an emergency issue, and Mayfield stated he could return home before the actual game on Saturday.

Source: Senior Bowl on Twitter 

Jan 24 - 10:11 AM

There's absolutely no way Josh Allen is a better prospect than this guy. I think the Senior Bowl might get them moving in opposite directions, with Mayfield's stock on the rise. 

Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield is undecided on playing in Saturday's Senior Bowl.

Mayfield might draw a little flak if he ultimately decides not to play, but the cold hard reality is that the Senior Bowl practice week is infinitely more important than the all-star bowl itself, a game which -- for understandable reasons -- almost completely lacks any kind of cohesion. Especially on offense. The 6-foot, 216-pound Mayfield is also dealing with a family emergency which delayed his initial arrival to Mobile. As for the early practice reviews, they're about what you would expect. He's not a cannon-armed quarterback (his arm's fine), but he's shown a nice accuracy and touch in practice work.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jan 24 - 6:31 PM

Optimum Scouting's Eric Galko wrote that Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield "looks like a computer" in his assessment of reads.

Galko passes along that Mayfield looked "completely comfortable in the pocket with his progressions" during Thursday's practice. The analyst adds that the 6-foot, 216-pound Heisman winner has been crisp in his footwork and deadly accurate when throwing to the right. There have been no surprise skeletons in how he's handled practice work in Mobile. He's currently undecided as to whether he'll play in the Senior Bowl itself, but that matters far less than the way he's been handling his reps. In addition to his on-field success, he's also been a gravitational force in the locker room -- Mayfield has the personality and demeanor to win over teammates and it's shown even in this manufactured setting.

Source: Optimum Scouting 

Jan 25 - 4:57 PM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller relays that multiple evaluators he's spoken with do not care if Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield plays in Saturday's Senior Bowl.

"We've seen him play in 25 games the last two seasons, what's an all-star game going to change?" one NFL head coach asked Miller hypothetically. The analyst passes along that the general vibe he got from his contacts was that they were simply pleased with the fact that Mayfield came to the Senior Bowl at all. We're in complete agreement, here. By all accounts, the 6-foot-2, 216-pounder has performed well on the whole in Mobile, both on the field and in terms of his composure in what's always something of an odd setting. One little Mayfield gem from the week -- he turned down an interview with the Chicago Bears, who drafted Mitch Trubisky last spring, essentially asking the team why they were even bothering.

Source: Bleacher Report 

Jan 26 - 4:47 PM

Baker Mayfield Knows What He Does—and Does Not—Have to Prove at the Senior Bowl

My favorite part:

Baker Mayfield isn’t here for the games. So when a scout for the Chicago Bears approaches him once more in the lobby of the Renaissance Hotel, where players invited to the Senior Bowl lived and worked this week, the Heisman-trophy winning quarterback musters about 30 seconds worth of patience. Then the truth comes out.

“You know I’ve got to get you for 15 minutes, Baker,” the scout tells him.

“Yeah, we’ll see. I’ve got a bunch more meetings tonight,” Mayfield replies.

It goes on like that, with the scout pressing on and Mayfield apologetically leaning away, reluctant to commit to a 15-minute interview with a scout whose team drafted a quarterback second overall just nine months ago. Then something clicks in Mayfield’s brain, like the latch catching on a closing door.

“You guys just drafted Mitchell Trubisky,” Mayfield says, “so what do you want with me?”

A sign of immaturity and lack of respect for others, which was one of the knocks on him along with his size.  Won't affect where he gets drafted but just another bad look
Why waste your time when you're going #1 overall to the Browns tho? The only team he needs to talk to.

Users who are viewing this thread