What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Bryce Young, CAR (1 Viewer)

I haven't been super impressed with Young yet, but he is a good QB who just needs some more time to develop. Probably hurts a bit to see Stroud rocking it right out of the gate, but I think Young can get there.

I think his size may be a bigger issue than first thought, and many thought it was a major issue. He has struggled to hold on to the ball taking hits in the NFL. That has to get better if he wants to stick in this league.

Dalton having such a solid game under center also leads me to believe its not the rest of the offense that isn't functioning and more on Young's development at this stage.

I can understand when a Qb holds the ball too long trying for a longer developing deep route, but this bum holds for underneath junk and doesn’t take the easy 7 yard scramble. Bust of ages.

Theo Ash
Bryce Young vs MIN: The Bad Plays

He feels like a limited NFL athlete. He’s tiny and gets ragdolled when hit. His tackle breaking ability hasn’t seemed to translate. He doesn’t have a power arm and throws from muddy pockets are always contested.

Bryce Young vs MIN: The Good Plays

Overall, I’m impressed with his ability to access the middle of the field. Sometimes it involves holding the ball and sliding around more than the ave. starter has to, but he can still hang tough and find those creases like he did at Bama

NFL insider Jordan Schultz reports the Panthers want to trade for a “No. 1 caliber” wide receiver before the NFL’s trade deadline.

We wish the Panthers good luck in their endeavor. Schultz said Carolina “is all in on Bryce Young — the player and the person. They love him and want to support him. They believe they can push this season by adding another big time playmaker.” It’s hard to say which top-flight wideout would be available via trade, and who would want to go to a terrible Panthers team. Perhaps this means the Panthers will acquire the currently doghoused Chase Claypool and call him a WR1. Schultz said the team attributes Young’s massive struggles to his lack of a dominant No. 1 receiver. Through Week 4, only Zach Wilson has a worse EPA per drop back than Young.

NFL insider Jordan Schultz reports the Panthers want to trade for a “No. 1 caliber” wide receiver before the NFL’s trade deadline.

We wish the Panthers good luck in their endeavor. Schultz said Carolina “is all in on Bryce Young — the player and the person. They love him and want to support him. They believe they can push this season by adding another big time playmaker.” It’s hard to say which top-flight wideout would be available via trade, and who would want to go to a terrible Panthers team. Perhaps this means the Panthers will acquire the currently doghoused Chase Claypool and call him a WR1. Schultz said the team attributes Young’s massive struggles to his lack of a dominant No. 1 receiver. Through Week 4, only Zach Wilson has a worse EPA per drop back than Young.
With Mims’ supposed emerging in DEN, would one of their starting WR’s be a better fit for CAR? And would Payton be more likely to deal one of those starters because they don’t necessarily fit in his system?

With Mims’ supposed emerging in DEN, would one of their starting WR’s be a better fit for CAR? And would Payton be more likely to deal one of those starters because they don’t necessarily fit in his system?
Benjamin Allbright

@AllbrightNFL

Defensive coordinator there had familiarity with Broncis WR corps.Jerry Jeudy still on rookie deal.

Is Mingo just bad at football?

Young is too small. He can throw the slants and dump offs fairly decent, but the other throws are often hindered by his inability to see over the offensive line (You can tell when you watch his deep ball throws). He has taken a few hits where he looked like he got absolutely clobbered. Everytime he gets hit I wonder if his season is over. He has mediocre arm strength, and is not that fast. If he had elite speed like Murray than I would feel a little better about him. Sure he can read a defense, but it doesn't matter if you don't have the physical tools. There is a reason that Andy Dalton made our offense look competent immediately.

Most of us in Carolina wanted CJ Stroud or even Richardson. Stroud was the easy choice. However, David Tepper's wife wanted Bryce Young, and she makes all the decisions lol.

Since the Tepper's have taken over we have not had one winning season. We have hired Matt Rhule as a coach, let Steve Wilks walk instead of giving him the job as head coach after he motivated our players last year. We have gotten rid of all of our best offensive players including Cam Newton a year before his contract was up, McCaffrey (MVP type year) and DJ Moore (the legitimate #WR they are saying that Bryce Young needs), and even let D'onta Foreman go who provided great tough running for us last year, which fit our style of playing good defense and moving the ball. We have also yet to pay Burns who is our best defensive player. The Tepper's make all the decisions and are ruining the franchise because they think they know what they are doing.

We are about to be the Bears.. probably going to be awful for the next 3 to 4 years or even longer as long as Tepper's keep making decisions.

Last edited:

I was in on him in several rookie and startup drafts with the hope he would appreciate in value this year and I could flip, but really do not like what I saw the first couple weeks and started offloading quickly. Down to one share left. I found some success selling to the Bryce owner in a few leagues.

Think an important skill in this game is reacting to new info quickly. In this case, I saw him like a Deebo type prospect and expected him to get both a lot of easy targets near the line of scrimmage and also intermediate working the middle of the field. Also thought Bryce wouldn’t look as raw as he does, which is alarming once you add in the size concerns. Like he’s not been good at the thing that’s supposed to be his differentiator, which is great anticipation and accuracy, I’m not interested in seeing if he can get better at that AND be an outlier on size.

So back to Mingo, now you have an iffy prospect who is stuck on a bad offense, with a rookie QB who looks like he’s going to be much more of a project than imagined. No thanks.

I was in on him in several rookie and startup drafts with the hope he would appreciate in value this year and I could flip, but really do not like what I saw the first couple weeks and started offloading quickly. Down to one share left. I found some success selling to the Bryce owner in a few leagues.

Think an important skill in this game is reacting to new info quickly. In this case, I saw him like a Deebo type prospect and expected him to get both a lot of easy targets near the line of scrimmage and also intermediate working the middle of the field. Also thought Bryce wouldn’t look as raw as he does, which is alarming once you add in the size concerns. Like he’s not been good at the thing that’s supposed to be his differentiator, which is great anticipation and accuracy, I’m not interested in seeing if he can get better at that AND be an outlier on size.

So back to Mingo, now you have an iffy prospect who is stuck on a bad offense, with a rookie QB who looks like he’s going to be much more of a project than imagined. No thanks.
I appreciate the response, thank you.

I unloaded him as well. I've watched a few Panthers games and didn't like what I saw from Young at all. Mingo looked able to get separation but Young just couldn't get him the ball.

Frustrating for a WR that would likely have success on a different team. But the Panthers have saddled themselves with a potentially historic draft bust considering the capital they gave up to get Bryce and the success of both Stroud and Richardson. Pretty telling that a journeyman QB like Dalton was immediately able to get these recievers fantasy relevant and actually put up points outside of garbage time.

So I'm out on Mingo which is a shame. I don't like giving up on rookies so soon but how can you have any confidence in this offense?

In the couple of Panthers games I've watched he looks completely unprepared to play at the NFL level. The offense isn't doing him any favors, but his size and awareness seem to be huge factors. Playing spooked.

So does he suck or is it the Panthers offense and line holding him back?
The Christensen injury really hurt as Zavala is grading out among the worst linemen in all of football. The play calling shows that there is no confidence in his ability to go down field.

Small, mediocre arm strength, holds the ball too long, not exceedingly athletic.

I guess you can blame the receivers for not getting open (and they were commenting on it during the Seattle game that Dalton played), but I'm not sure Bryce Young is the man to pin one's hopes on.

Too late for that. I personally don't see too much to like right now.

Not panicking, but deeply, deeply concerned. A-Rich has even worse trash for RB and WR.
Looks a lot like Russell Wilson last year.

Way to early to bury him - his slow start just looks bad because he went ahead of Stroud and A-Rich, and both of those guys are balling out. It's often not typical for rookie QBs to start out so well, so some patience is likely needed with Bryce.

It's going to be suck when/if Carolina ends up conveying a top 5 pick to the Bears in a deeper better QB class and they are stuck with Young

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers plan to simplify things for Bryce Young heading into Week 6.

As Rapoport notes in his report, the Panthers are trying to simplify the verbiage for Young and what he is asked to do before a play. Young is a “high-level” processor, as Rapoport also pointed out, but he’s been asked to do far more early in his career than other quarterbacks like C.J. Stroud and Anthony Richardson. Young’s struggles have been well-documented early on. The Panthers are 0-5 and Young has thrown for 750-5-4 through his first four starts. We’ll see if these changes show noticeable improvement in Week 6 against the Dolphins, where he should have plenty of passing opportunities in a game the Panthers will likely be trailing in.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers plan to simplify things for Bryce Young heading into Week 6.

As Rapoport notes in his report, the Panthers are trying to simplify the verbiage for Young and what he is asked to do before a play. Young is a “high-level” processor, as Rapoport also pointed out, but he’s been asked to do far more early in his career than other quarterbacks like C.J. Stroud and Anthony Richardson.
The important thing to remember is that Bryce is a "high-level" processor.

For God's sake, please don't forget this

I watched Bagent in the early game and now Young in the late game and while Bagent's stat line was horrible, he looks much better than Young right now.

That has to be concerning to the fanbase.

I watched Bagent in the early game and now Young in the late game and while Bagent's stat line was horrible, he looks much better than Young right now.

That has to be concerning to the fanbase.
Case can be made young is the 5th best rookie qb behind stroud, Levis, bagent, and Richardson

Heard a note from Underdog fantasy he was bad against zone before yesterday and I rolled him anyway, lost cousins and I had been considering QBs but for him to look this bad against the Colts at home... thats pretty ugly zone or man. At least he ran a little more yesterday but he's going back to my wire

Panthers think tank must be kicking themselves after watching Stroud blow up yesterday. They REALLY blew that 1.1 pick....

They should have listened to me back in February.

I still think it's too early to bury him - not every QB pops right away - and I expect they'll surround him with better talent next year.

All that said, when you see the other rookie QBs (without surrounding top tier talent themselves) really start to show something in year 1 - and that's not even including Richardson - it's a troubling sign.

Last edited:
He don't look comfortable in the pocket and isn't showing any of the "magic" plays that made him the top pick. He looks scared once the pocket collapses and then either takes a sack or makes a poor throw.

The team gave up too much capital to surround him with high end talent. He was supposed to be the difference maker and so far it's not there.

He gets the Bears on a short week, but this should be a winnable game for the Panthers.

Throwing 3 picks including 2 pick 6's on a day where Stroud broke the rookie record for yards in a game and threw for 5TDs including a game winner has got to be incredibly depressing for Panther fans.

Throwing 3 picks including 2 pick 6's on a day where Stroud broke the rookie record for yards in a game and threw for 5TDs including a game winner has got to be incredibly depressing for Panther fans.
here is the question..

Would the Panthers be better with Stroud at QB? I mean he is great, but I just feel what the Texas did in the offseason has helped him too. Not sure the Panthers did anything near what Houston did.

Unfortunately busts happen with highly drafted QBs and there seems to be no way to predict it.

To me, Bryce Young looks lost... like a classic "bust" in the making. Some guys - Zach Wilson for example - just look overwhelmed, confused scared, etc.

Then some - see Will Levis - look really comfortable and in control right out of the gate. They can just flat out play the position at the highest level. Josh Dobbs gets bounced around (for some reason), but he would improve the win chances for CAR, NYJ, others immediately.

Unfortunately busts happen with highly drafted QBs and there seems to be no way to predict it.

To me, Bryce Young looks lost... like a classic "bust" in the making. Some guys - Zach Wilson for example - just look overwhelmed, confused scared, etc.

Then some - see Will Levis - look really comfortable and in control right out of the gate. They can just flat out play the position at the highest level. Josh Dobbs gets bounced around (for some reason), but he would improve the win chances for CAR, NYJ, others immediately.
I don't think Levis looks great on Thursday.. He made some decent throws, but didn't look like a super star or bust tbh.

here is the question..

Would the Panthers be better with Stroud at QB? I mean he is great, but I just feel what the Texas did in the offseason has helped him too. Not sure the Panthers did anything near what Houston did.
I bet Stroud would make Theilen, Mingo, and Chark look serviceable. He just had Tank, Dalton, and Noah Brown go over 100 yards in the game

If he can take barely any sacks behind the hodge podge unit that was the Texans O line with 3rd stringers, he could do pretty well with the Panthers O line

I don't think Levis looks great on Thursday.. He made some decent throws, but didn't look like a super star or bust tbh.

OK, his 2nd (EVER) start, on a short week, in Pittsburgh. I wish he was on the Stillers because it would have been a black & gold blowout!

How do you think Bryce Young would have fared? How did Levis look the previous week? How many games would Young need to throw that many TDs?

The Bears have by far the worst pass rush in the NFL. If Bryce looks bad and takes a bunch of sacks its on him. I think this is a huge game for Young. The Bears D isn't great.

It didn't depress me any. The Panthers beat the Texans the week before, and guess what was said about that in this thread? Nothing. Anyway, Bryce and Stroud are in different environments with different offensive philosophies.

I think it's a bit premature for people to stick a fork in Bryce so early. The Panthers in general are a mess. The owner sucks and has made a mess of the team more than he has helped it. The play-calling has been questionable at times, so maybe that is why they recently switched play-callers. The most reliable player on offense has been Theilen, and he has done very well with Bryce. Miles Sanders has been a disappointment. They should have resigned Foreman. He and Hubbard made a good duo. The OL played better last year vs this year, too. The coaching staff is new, and so is a lot of the offense. They are all learning to play together, and some of it hasn't been pretty. There have been more downs than ups, but hopefully Bryce is learning through it all. I remember when people were calling Josh Allen a bust. He was last in completion percentage his first two years, and people said a lot of negative things about him, but he improved. Bryce can improve. Time will tell.

It didn't depress me any. The Panthers beat the Texans the week before, and guess what was said about that in this thread? Nothing. Anyway, Bryce and Stroud are in different environments with different offensive philosophies.

I think it's a bit premature for people to stick a fork in Bryce so early. The Panthers in general are a mess. The owner sucks and has made a mess of the team more than he has helped it. The play-calling has been questionable at times, so maybe that is why they recently switched play-callers. The most reliable player on offense has been Theilen, and he has done very well with Bryce. Miles Sanders has been a disappointment. They should have resigned Foreman. He and Hubbard made a good duo. The OL played better last year vs this year, too. The coaching staff is new, and so is a lot of the offense. They are all learning to play together, and some of it hasn't been pretty. There have been more downs than ups, but hopefully Bryce is learning through it all. I remember when people were calling Josh Allen a bust. He was last in completion percentage his first two years, and people said a lot of negative things about him, but he improved. Bryce can improve. Time will tell.
I mean the Broncos beat the Chiefs and the Jets beat the Eagles but I don't think the Broncos or the Jets are better than the teams they beat so...

Also the coaching staff in Houston is new too; rookie OC and HC not to mention Woods, Dell, Schultz, and Noah Brown are all new, Pierce is incredibly inefficient in a zone blocking scheme, and the O line for the Texans hasn't been healthy all season. It's not like Bryce is the only one with new changes around

Bringing up Josh Allen is the new "Peyton Manning threw a bunch of INTs his rookie year." Josh Allen also has arm strength, ideal size, built like a tank, and is a legit dual threat. Both of these guys(Peyton, Allen) are anomalies to the bad first year for a QB rthetoric you are trying to pull out here.

OK, his 2nd (EVER) start, on a short week, in Pittsburgh. I wish he was on the Stillers because it would have been a black & gold blowout!

How do you think Bryce Young would have fared? How did Levis look the previous week? How many games would Young need to throw that many TDs?
I just want to see more of him before we put him in the HOF.. The production from Atlanta to Pittsburgh wasn't there, and Pittsburgh pass D is 25th, compared to Atlanta being 10th.

People act like Pittsburgh has this amazing D and they don't at all.

Users who are viewing this thread