What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jarrett Stidham, DEN (1 Viewer)

Was it his unspectacular college career or the one year of tutelage in Pats offense that brings you to such conviction that Stid will have a long and successful career?  Those in the pro Stid crowd who you think Stid compares favorably to?  Cousins? Ryan?
IMO he had a promising 2015. 2017 was fantastic. 2018 was a stinker. I was high on him because I felt 2018 was a liar. Prior to 2018 he was a first round talent, top 10 in several mocks. 

I liked what I saw from him in the preseason. We can go down the rabbit hole of why the counter argument of "it was preseason vs backups" is a bad argument if you want. 

The guy hasn't played a college snap in almost 18 months, so I'm not going to hold college stuff against him or use it to prop him up... hes past that now. Either he has "it" or he doesnt. 

He strikes me as a guy who has a very strong work ethic and has it between the ears. That's step one. IMO he is an accurate QB. 

Much like Anarchy, I value BBs intuition. They have passed up every opportunity to grab a QB. BB has out even more focus on the "was it Brady or Belichick" discussion by not getting a veteran QB. Their offense is pretty good as far as weapons go, I think. IMO the timing and maturity of the offensive weapons is better for Stidham than it was for Brady last year; you just cant expect a newly traded for wr or a rookie to take massive leaps year 1. 

I have high hopes for him. I think he will be a pretty big fantasy football steal. 

I don't know how Stidham will do, but internally NE apparently thinks he is better than Garoppolo. And Jimmy G. just took SFO to the SB. Rest assured, BB could care less where a player was drafted, so the history of Day 3 QB's may best be taken with a grain of salt in this case. For better or for worse, at some point, the narrative will invariably change from "Brady left NE" to "BB chose Stidham over Brady," because that is essentially what happened. What I find odd is no one is reporting it from that angle yet.

I don't know how Stidham will do, but internally NE apparently thinks he is better than Garoppolo. And Jimmy G. just took SFO to the SB. Rest assured, BB could care less where a player was drafted, so the history of Day 3 QB's may best be taken with a grain of salt in this case. For better or for worse, at some point, the narrative will invariably change from "Brady left NE" to "BB chose Stidham over Brady," because that is essentially what happened. What I find odd is no one is reporting it from that angle yet.
I think the reality is that BB and Brady both got what they wanted. BB is notorious for not getting stuck with a big price tag on a fading player. Brady wanted out to prove he can do it without BB/NE (and probably a little bit of "I'm not fading" pride).

It still amazes me that every outlet was blind to what seemed a clear reality. The Pats were, are, and will be trotting out Stidham in 2020 to see what he's got. And it is on purpose because they like what they saw from him in his first year with the team.

Bengals called NE about a trade before they released Dalton. NE said they weren't interested. Dalton got released and NE never even contacted Dalton's agent (that's what came out this morning). I keep hearing / seeing more and more that NE has been talking up Stidham for months to inquiring reporters, long before they officially parted ways with Brady. These reporters don't say who they spoke with, but "all the people" they spoke with from the organization have raved about Stidham's play in practice last season. Again, they didn't name any names or had anyone go on the record, but allegedly they spoke to players and coaches who felt Stidham's mobility, running ability, and accuracy and zip on his passes were eye opening. Sure, some of that is probably propaganda, but these mystery people were saying this long before Brady was out of the picture. Stidham could still turn out to be a moldy, half eaten ham sandwich. But I do find it interesting that the NE side has been answering Stidham to the QB question for months.

Bengals called NE about a trade before they released Dalton. NE said they weren't interested. Dalton got released and NE never even contacted Dalton's agent (that's what came out this morning). I keep hearing / seeing more and more that NE has been talking up Stidham for months to inquiring reporters, long before they officially parted ways with Brady. These reporters don't say who they spoke with, but "all the people" they spoke with from the organization have raved about Stidham's play in practice last season. Again, they didn't name any names or had anyone go on the record, but allegedly they spoke to players and coaches who felt Stidham's mobility, running ability, and accuracy and zip on his passes were eye opening. Sure, some of that is probably propaganda, but these mystery people were saying this long before Brady was out of the picture. Stidham could still turn out to be a moldy, half eaten ham sandwich. But I do find it interesting that the NE side has been answering Stidham to the QB question for months.
Ricky Ledee. Remember what an all-time great Ricky Ledee was when he was in the Yankees farm system? Then they fleeced Cleveland in a trade? I'll believe this bull#### when I see it. Not good in college and miraculously turns it around at the hardest level in the hardest job in sports?

Yeah, man. Yeah. 

Perhaps maybe the angle is that Stidham replaced Brady who ultimately was replaced by Howell or Clovis 

What I think is rich in all of this is that BB replaced 3-time Pro Bowler Drew Bledsoe, who had thrown for 30,000 yards, made the playoffs 3 times, and went to a SB with Tom Brady, a 6th round pick that had thrown 1 NFL pass in his career. Yet some of the same people who thought BB was crazy then, now think he is crazy again for going with a 4th round pick with 4 career passes. I am certainly not saying that Stidham is on the level of Brady. But Bill seemed to make an informed decision back in the day with Brady. 

I don't think it matters who QBs this team.  Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, and even Tony Romo have slightly better career QB ratings than Brady.  Tom Brady has led the NFL QB rating twice.  Steve Yound did it 6 times.  Those guys played for fools like Bill Walsh.  Brady played for God.  God is still in NE.

What I think is rich in all of this is that BB replaced 3-time Pro Bowler Drew Bledsoe, who had thrown for 30,000 yards, made the playoffs 3 times, and went to a SB with Tom Brady, a 6th round pick that had thrown 1 NFL pass in his career. Yet some of the same people who thought BB was crazy then, now think he is crazy again for going with a 4th round pick with 4 career passes. I am certainly not saying that Stidham is on the level of Brady. But Bill seemed to make an informed decision back in the day with Brady. 
Mo  Lewis gave BB nearly a full season of NFL games to evaluate TB.   

Probably a lot of fluff, but . . .

Urban Meyer (who tried recruiting Stidham out of high school) on The Herd: "The common denominator of every great quarterback is he's on a great team. Great quarterbacks that go to bad teams suddenly become bad quarterbacks. You put Jarrett Stidham with Bill Belichick, Josh McDaniels, and that system, get ready, I'm sure he'll have a good year. He did it with Brady, Cassel, and Garoppolo. They're going to make that QB a good player."

Urban Meyer (who tried recruiting Stidham out of high school) on The Herd: "The common denominator of every great quarterback is he's on a great team. Great quarterbacks that go to bad teams suddenly become bad quarterbacks. You put Jarrett Stidham with Bill Belichick, Josh McDaniels, and that system, get ready, I'm sure he'll have a good year. He did it with Brady, Cassel, and Garoppolo. They're going to make that QB a good player."
Urban makes a fantastic point. We forget that as fans.

What would we now think of Brady had he been drafted by the Bengals (for instance)?

Last edited by a moderator:

I have been beating this drum for years...show me a great NFL QB and I will show you a good to great Coach they played with (and vice versa)...it is very tough to have one without the other...think about some of the best Coaches and QBs...below is a list of Hall-of-Fame QBs and who their coaches were (almost all are in the Hall as well):

Brady-BB

Montana-Walsh

Starr-Lombardi

Marino-Shula

Unitas and Namath-Ewbank

Luckman-Halas

Staubach-Landry

Tarkenton-Grant

Manning-Dungy

Kelly-Levy

Aikman-Jimmy Johnson

Elway-Reeves/Shanahan

Stabler-Madden

Bradshaw-Noll

Dawson-Stram

Favre-Holmgren

Otto Graham-Paul Brown

Fouts-Coryell

Griese-Shula

There is definitely a common theme here...that's why when you look at a Coach like Joe Gibbs you really have to be impressed by winning three titles with three different QBs, none of  whom are sniffing the Hall...on the flipside I think you could almost guarantee a QB like Archie Manning would be considered a top 10 all-timer if he had ended up with Dallas and Landry or Madden in Oakland instead of those woeful Saints back then...sorry for the tangent but I love this topic.

It’s fluff but there’s obviously also truth that the Pats system/coaching has helped QBs tremendously. There’s no denying that.

BB is just waiting for MIA to cut Rosen so he can make him the latest reclamation project from a rival.
Wouldnt a great reclamation project be a 4th round pick everyone passed up on and everyone wrote off this offseason, and turn that player into an exceptional QB?

Perhaps, more than blind faith in Stidham, BB wants to see for himself what of his offensive heuristics are indeed Brady-based in order to sort what he does without him. Any other QB would bring a new set of adjustments & expectations but, with a reasonably capable pup with a year's apprenticeship, he can find out what he has to look for in developing a post-Brady offense

Maybe I overpaid, but I traded my 3rd rounder this year and next year for Stidham in one dynasty league.  I’m a bit short handed at QB there — I went into last year with Luck and Winston as my top two, and was now down to Minshew as my only QB currently projected to start.

I missed out on the top three this year, as they all went earlier than I would have liked (and was expecting them to go) in a one QB PPR league.  And the price was better than what the person who owned Brady (as well as Murray, Baker, and Tua) was offering.

At the end of the day, I do think his talent is a bit underrated. The Auburn system was not really built for him, and he was getting first round buzz at one point.  And I do have more faith in the Patriots knowing what they are doing than other organizations.

BB is just waiting for MIA to cut Rosen so he can make him the latest reclamation project from a rival.
This is definitely possible and one reason Miami will be reluctant to cut him.

And not saying he'd be brought in to automatically start but as a see what we have here type thing.

Maybe I overpaid, but I traded my 3rd rounder this year and next year for Stidham in one dynasty league.  I’m a bit short handed at QB there — I went into last year with Luck and Winston as my top two, and was now down to Minshew as my only QB currently projected to start.

I missed out on the top three this year, as they all went earlier than I would have liked (and was expecting them to go) in a one QB PPR league.  And the price was better than what the person who owned Brady (as well as Murray, Baker, and Tua) was offering.

At the end of the day, I do think his talent is a bit underrated. The Auburn system was not really built for him, and he was getting first round buzz at one point.  And I do have more faith in the Patriots knowing what they are doing than other organizations.
That is definitely not an over-pay...with your QB situation it is actually a steal...he has a great opportunity and if he hits he has a chance to be the Pats QB for the next 10 years...worst case you get a year out of him, he is your backup and can you now take an injury...that is still worth that third round pick. 

Saw a round table discussion somewhere and the question was how the Pats handled replacing Brady and what would their record be this year. I think there were 6 people. Three were 7 wins. One was 8 wins. One was 5 or 6 wins. The dissenter looked at it like I did. If BB really liked what he saw, Stidham will be fine. That’s the only one that really gets to have an opinion. 11 wins if Stidham is average. 12 wins if above average. 10 wins worse case without major injuries and bumps I the road for JS. Basically anyone saying the team falling off is nuts. Pointed out they have lost good players all the time and the beat went on. The guy said replacing what Brady gave them last year would not be that difficult.  He also said real football people will understand that and fans of football are the ones hoping they will fall off. Hopefully we will get to find out. 

That is definitely not an over-pay...with your QB situation it is actually a steal...he has a great opportunity and if he hits he has a chance to be the Pats QB for the next 10 years...worst case you get a year out of him, he is your backup and can you now take an injury...that is still worth that third round pick. 
Hope you are right, and my thinking too.  Hoping he at least gets me by this year. If not, I should be in position to get Lawrence or Fields for more of a long-term answer (who I think will be more worthy of the first rounder where Burrow and Tua went).

Great time to roll with a young guy you like.

Loads of cap space next year, lot of old guys that can go bye bye in '21.  Check him out, have a lot more flexibility next year to build around him, or look for a replacement. 

Saw a round table discussion somewhere and the question was how the Pats handled replacing Brady and what would their record be this year. I think there were 6 people. Three were 7 wins. One was 8 wins. One was 5 or 6 wins. The dissenter looked at it like I did. If BB really liked what he saw, Stidham will be fine. That’s the only one that really gets to have an opinion. 11 wins if Stidham is average. 12 wins if above average. 10 wins worse case without major injuries and bumps I the road for JS. Basically anyone saying the team falling off is nuts. Pointed out they have lost good players all the time and the beat went on. The guy said replacing what Brady gave them last year would not be that difficult.  He also said real football people will understand that and fans of football are the ones hoping they will fall off. Hopefully we will get to find out. 
Yes the only opinion that matters is BB but BB has been wrong before and if he's wrong on Stid then it's a few years before the next guy is ready (Sam Howell '22).  The In Bill We Trust crowd will never admit that the drafting of BB the GM the past 5yrs or so has put this team well behind KC and Bal from a talent perspective and think the Pats can lose TB Gronk Gostk and a bunch of key defenders and just plug n play guys that just need to be coached up and they can get double digit wins as a worse case scenario.

All 3 of their AFCE rivals are improving along with a 1st place schedule vs Sea S F KC Bal and a midseason streak that has 6 of 8 on the road if any team is ripe for a sub .500 season this team looks to be the blueprint for it.  IF Stid turns out to be the guy and IF  the youngsters can play and IF  guys like Gilmore Hightower and DMc can stay healthy and IF BB can get some talented FA in next year  then perhaps 2-3yrs from now they will be a 10-12 win team but thinking that this team as its ccurrently constructed won't miss a beat  is rather naively optimistic imo 

I’m not a bettor but I’d wager that you and the dissenter have been spoiled by Brady and have lost touch with the reality of competent QB play in relation to wins and losses.

Yes, quite a bit actually, did u? PFF had him rated 10th overall and i think jetmax had a pretty good point with regard to people being somewhat spoiled watching him over the last 20 yrs.
lol dont get me started on PFFs rankings...

NFL's top backup quarterbacks? Plus, Jarrett Stidham's promise

Excerpt:

JARRETT STIDHAM: Unwise to dismiss Patriots' apparent QB1

It's hard to question a head coach with an NFL-record six Super Bowl rings and 300-plus victories (including the postseason), but that hasn't stopped folks around the league from raising an eyebrow at Bill Belichick's moves (and primarily, inaction) at the quarterback position since Tom Brady moved on to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in March.

At a time when most teams are building around QB1s with first-round pedigrees, Belichick seems to be at least strongly considering rolling with Jarrett Stidham, a former fourth-round pick, as his starter, with veteran Brian Hoyer returning for his third stint with the team as a backup. The only other quarterbacks on the roster are undrafted rookies Brian Lewerke and J'Mar Smith.

Going with an unproven former Day 3 pick to replace the G.O.A.T. for a franchise that's synonymous with winning seems like an awfully big roll of the dice. What is it about Stidham that has led Belichick to bypass proven veterans this offseason and QB prospects in this year's draft?

We might not get a clear answer to that million-dollar question for a while, but I thought that I would take a long, hard look at Stidham's film from his rookie year and revisit my scouting report on him from a year ago to gain a better perspective on the Patriots signal-caller.

Reviewing my pre-draft notes on Stidham, I thought that he was a hard evaluation due to the up-and-down performances that littered his collegiate career. As a freshman at Baylor, the former four-star recruit looked poised for stardom in 10 appearances (three starts) that resulted in 1,200-plus passing yards, a 12:2 touchdown-to-interception ratio, a 68.8 percent completion rate and a ridiculous 11.6 yards per attempt.

After sitting out the following season, per transfer rules, Stidham hit the ground running at Auburn with a strong sophomore campaign that included 3,158 yards passing, an 18:6 TD-to-INT ratio and a win over rival Alabama. He not only exhibited A-plus arm talent while showcasing a mix of drive throws and touch tosses on the perimeter, but he flashed anticipation squeezing the ball into tight windows. Stidham's performance dipped in 2018, partially due to subpar help from his receivers, offensive line and coaching staff. However, he still possessed enough tools to be considered an intriguing developmental prospect heading into last year's draft.

Fast-forward to his rookie year with the Patriots, when Stidham was fairly impressive directing the offense during the preseason. He connected on 67.8 percent of his passes (61 of 90) with a 4:1 TD-INT ratio while averaging 8.1 yards per attempt. Those numbers lined up with an impressive film resume that showed Stidham making an assortment of throws to every area of the field. The rookie tossed darts to receivers on quick-rhythm throws at short and intermediate range while also displaying efficient footwork and deft ball handling on play-action passes.

With Stidham showing the capacity to work the middle of the field while also throwing pinpoint passes to receivers along the boundary on deep-outs and comebacks, the Patriots should be able to continue attacking opponents with many of the same plays that have been staples in the game plan for years with TB12 at the controls.

Now, I'm not ready to proclaim Stidham a worthy successor to the throne in New England, but he certainly has enough talent to function as a capable starter for the team. Sure, he faltered in his first regular-season action with a pick-six in Week 3 against the New York Jets, which prompted Belichick to bench him and re-insert Brady into a lopsided game. The visual of that benching has created a narrative that suggests the second-year pro isn't ready to handle the starting job.

Here's the thing: The backup quarterback doesn't get many reps during practice during the average game week, and it's hard for young quarterbacks to find their rhythm without a lot of preparation. As a starter, however, Stidham would get the bulk of the work during the week, and those practice reps would put him in a better position to succeed. Additionally, the Patriots coaching staff would be able to build a game plan around his talents, which should only help him. Considering how many young players make their biggest developmental improvements from their rookie season to their second year, the NFL could see a new-and-improved Stidham when he takes the field this fall.

"Stid worked really hard last year," Belichick told NFL Network during Thursday night's Schedule Release '20 LIVE show. "He was our backup quarterback the entire season, and I know he's working hard in the offseason. I know he's made a lot of progress in terms of understanding our offense and understanding opponent defenses like all players do from Year 1 to Year 2. I'm sure he will get out there and be ready to go, be prepared, compete hard, and we'll see where it takes us."

If Belichick's confidence in his young passer sounds surprising, it's important to remember his success with unheralded quarterbacks during the Brady era, something he mentioned later in the interview when asked about preparing for life without the legend under center.

"Well, we've played at other times without Tom," the Patriots head coach said. "Whether it was the (2008) season after he was injured -- we played 15 games with (Matt) Cassel and went 11-5 -- or heading into the '16 season with Jimmy (Garoppolo) and then Jacoby (Brissett) and Tom coming back after the four-game suspension. ... We'll do what we always do. Try to prepare the team the best that we can, utilize our players, the skills that they have, put ourselves in the best position we can to be competitive and win."

Given Belichick's reputation and Stidham's natural talents, it would be foolish to dismiss the Patriots' chances of succeeding with an inexperienced young quarterback who wasn't hailed as the next big thing when he entered the league. After all, they started their dominance of the league with a second-year sixth-round pick at the controls in 2001, and they could extend their run into the 2020s with an unheralded passer who might come into his own in Year 2.

Going back to a discussion from a few weeks ago on NE selecting / developing QB's, here is the current snapshot of all QBs currently in the league. It is a sample of the league at a particular moment in time and 5 years from now this would look way different. This is not to suggest that the NE QB room is tops in the league (it's not even close). It's just to show where the current quarterbacks across the league came from. The teams are organized by total Career AV generated from the team that brought the players listed into the league. Some players did their damage on other teams, so it is just listing the teams that drafted them (or signed them as UDFAs). Clearly it is not a ranking of who currently has the best group of QBs (which would be NOS). But in this metric, the Saints scored 0. Just like last season, NE is the only team that will have three QBs they drafted that are starting in the NFL. And as a reminder, compared to other teams, NE never burned a first round pick (or multiple high picks) to get those players. To be clear, this is not a discussion on how well each team drafted (I have that info too, but I will post that a different day). Status is where that QB ranks on his team's depth chart.

Code:
Team	Player		Pick	Status	Team	Starts	AV
NEP	Tom Brady	199	1	TBB	283	280
NEP	Jimmy Garoppolo	62	1	SFO	26	25
NEP	Jarrett Stidham	133	1	NEP	0	0
NEP	Brian Hoyer	UDFA	2	NEP	38	25
NEP	Jacoby Brissett	91	2	IND	32	24
						379	354

LAC	Drew Brees	32	1	NOS	274	267
LAC	Justin Herbert	6	1.5	LAC	0	0
LAC	Easton Stick	166	3	LAC	0	0
						274	267

ATL	Matt Ryan	3	1	ATL	189	179
ATL	Matt Schaub	90	2	ATL	93	81
						282	260

NYG	Philip Rivers	4	1	IND	224	204
NYG	Daniel Jones	6	1	NYG	12	9
NYG	Kyle Lauletta	108	4	PHI	0	0
						236	213

GBP	Aaron Rodgers	24	1	GBP	174	184
GBP	Brett Hundley	147	2	ARI	9	5
GBP	Jordan Love	26	2	GBP	0	0
GBP	Taysom Hill	UDFA	3	NOS	0	6
						183	195

BAL	Lamar Jackson	32	1	BAL	22	33
BAL	Tyrod Taylor	180	1.5	LAC	46	43
BAL	Joe Flacco	18	2	FA	171	118
BAL	Trace McSorley	197	3	BAL	0	0
						239	194

PIT	Roethlisberger	11	1	PIT	216	186
PIT	Mason Rudolph	76	2	PIT	8	3
PIT	Joshua Dobbs	135	2	JAC	0	0
PIT	Devlin Hodges	UDFA	3	PIT	6	0
						230	189

LAR	R Fitzpatrick	250	1.5	MIA	139	96
LAR	Jared Goff	1	1	LAR	54	43
LAR	Sean Mannion	59	2	MIN	2	1
LAR	Garrett Gilbert	214	3	CLE	0	0
						195	140

SFO	Alex Smith	1	2	WAS	161	118
SFO	Nick Mullens	UDFA	2	SFO	8	6
SFO	Jeff Driskel	207	2	DEN	8	5
SFO	C.J. Beathard	104	3	SFO	10	7
						187	136

CAR	Cam Newton	1	2	FA	124	123
CAR	Will Grier	100	2	CAR	2	1
CAR	Kyle Allen	UDFA	3	WAS	13	8
						139	132

SEA	Russell Wilson	75	1	SEA	128	129
SEA	Anthony Gordon	UDFA	2	SEA	0	0
						128	129

DET	Matt Stafford	1	1	DET	149	118
						149	118

WAS	Kirk Cousins	102	1	MIN	88	69
WAS	Dwayne Haskins	15	1	WAS	7	3
WAS	Robert Griffin	2	2	BAL	41	38
WAS	Chase Daniel	UDFA	2	DET	5	5
WAS	Nate Sudfeld	187	3	PHI	0	1
						141	116

CIN	Joe Burrow	1	1	CIN	0	0
CIN	Andy Dalton	35	2	DAL	133	98
CIN	A.J. McCarron	164	2	HOU	4	4
CIN	Ryan Finley	104	2	CIN	3	1
CIN	Logan Woodside	249	2	TEN	0	0
						140	103

MIA	Ryan Tannehill	8	1	TEN	98	72
MIA	Tua Tagovailoa	5	1.5	MIA	0	0
MIA	Chad Henne	57	2	KCC	53	29
						151	101

PHI	Carson Wentz	1	1	PHI	56	45
PHI	Nick Foles	88	1.5	CHI	48	32
PHI	Jalen Hurts	53	2	PHI	0	0
PHI	Matt Barkley	98	3	BUF	7	4
						111	81

Code:
Team	Player		Pick	Status	Team	Starts	AV
HOU	Deshaun Watson	12	1	HOU	37	39
HOU	Case Keenum	UDFA	2	CLE	62	37
						99	76

JAC	G Minshew	178	1	JAC	12	10
JAC	Blaine Gabbert	10	2	TBB	48	17
JAC	Blake Bortles	3	2	FA	73	48
JAC	Jake Luton	189	4	JAC	0	0
						133	75

TBB	Jameis Winston	1	2	NOS	70	59
TBB	Mike Glennon	73	3	JAC	22	13
						92	72

LVR	Derek Carr	36	1	LVR	94	61
						94	61

DAL	Dak Prescott	135	1	DAL	64	60
DAL	Ben DiNucci	231	3	DAL	0	0
DAL	Mike White	171	4	NYJ	0	0
						64	60

TEN	Marcus Mariota	2	2	LVR	61	48
TEN	Cole McDonald	224	3	TEN	0	0
						61	48

KCC	Patrick Mahomes	10	1	KCC	31	40
						31	40

CLE	Baker Mayfield	1	1	CLE	29	21
CLE	Colt McCoy	85	2	NYG	28	14
CLE	David Blough	UDFA	3	DET	5	-1
						62	34

CHI	Mitch Trubisky	2	1.5	CHI	41	28
CHI	David Fales	183	3	NYJ	0	1
						41	29

MIN	T Bridgewater	32	1	CAR	34	28
MIN	Nate Stanley	244	3	MIN	0	0
						34	28

BUF	Josh Allen	7	1	BUF	27	17
BUF	Jake Fromm	167	2	BUF	0	0
BUF	Nathan Peterman	171	3	LVR	4	2
						31	19

ARI	Kyler Murray	1	1	ARI	16	14
ARI	Josh Rosen	10	3	MIA	16	3
						32	17

NYJ	Sam Darnold	3	1	NYJ	26	13
NYJ	James Morgan	125	2	NYJ	0	0
NYJ	John Wolford	UDFA	2	LAR	0	0
						26	13

DEN	Drew Lock	42	1	DEN	5	3
DEN	Paxton Lynch	26	4	PIT	4	2
DEN	Chad Kelly	253	4	IND	1	0
						10	5

IND	Jacob Eason	122	3	IND	0	0
						0	0

NOS	Tommy Stevens	240	4	NOS	0	0
						0	0

I also looked up how teams fared when winning 12 or games in QB A in YEAR X but having QB B in year X + 1. That could be for any number or reasons (retirement, trades, free agency, injured in preseason or Week 1).

2017 MIN Case Keenum 13 2018 Kirk Cousins 8.5
2015 DEN Peyton Manning 12 2016 Trevor Siemian 9
2007 GBP Brett Favre 13 2008 Aaron Rodgers 6
2007 NEP Tom Brady 16 2008 Matt Cassel 11
2000 BAL Trent Dilfer 12 2001 Elvis Grbac 10
1998 DEN John Elway 14 1999 Brian Griese 6
1998 NYJ V Testaverde 12 1993 Ray Lucas 8
1993 HOU Warren Moon 12 1994 B.J. Tolliver 2
1992 NOS Bobby Herbert 12 1993 Wade Wilson 8
1990 SFO Joe Montana 14 1991 Steve Young 10
1988 CHI Jim McMahon 12 2002 Mike Tomczak 6
1969 MIN Joe Kapp 12 1970 Gary Cuozzo 12
1968 DAL Don Meredith 12 1969 Craig Morton 11.5
1968 IND Earl Morrall 13 1968 Johnny Unitas 8.5
1967 IND Johnny Unitas 12 1968 Earl Morrall 13

Only the Oilers fell to pieces when Warren Moon moved on to Minnesota. Three other teams dropped to 6 wins. Every situation is different . . . just thought it would be interesting to see how things played out in the past.

The only one that gets to have an opinion is the dissenter that agrees with you.  Cool.

I'd ask if sportswriters don't have anything better to do . . . but I know the answer. This one theorizes what it would take to get Russell Wilson to NE. The conclusion is: Guard Joe Thuney, 2 first round picks, and 2 second round picks. The Pats would also have to assume Wilson's $31-32 million per year salary and subsequent cap hit (which they couldn't possibly do).

LINK

BB is a defensive genius, considered one of the best if not the best defensive minds in the history of the game, I would imagine having a defensive genius as your head coach is like a cheat code for a QB. BB can tell you where the hole or weakness is in every defense that you are going to see. Sure the QB has to recognize which defense he is looking at and then execute but having the cheat code is a heck of an advantage.

Yenrub said:
BB is a defensive genius, considered one of the best if not the best defensive minds in the history of the game, I would imagine having a defensive genius as your head coach is like a cheat code for a QB. BB can tell you where the hole or weakness is in every defense that you are going to see. Sure the QB has to recognize which defense he is looking at and then execute but having the cheat code is a heck of an advantage.
So you are saying the Patriots are cheaters?

Looking to pull the trigger and move Stidham Or Gorappollo in a 1qb, 16 team dynasty league. Few teams are very QB needy. I think he has a bright future and is younger than Jimmy G, i just don’t know if I want to wait a few years until there is a stable floor for him. Who would you deal if given the choice between Stidham and a middle of the road vet QB like Cousin, Gorappollo, etc in dynasty?

Patriots QB Jarrett Stidham said he's been working out with Julian Edelman regularly in Massachusetts during the offseason.

Stidham, New England's fourth-round pick last year, only played 15 snaps as a rookie but is still expected to beat out veteran Brian Hoyer as the team's Week 1 starter. While a positive rapport with Edelman doesn't guarantee success under center, it's a step in the right direction following words of encouragement from C David Andrews, RB Rex Burkhead, and other teammates throughout the spring. The 23-year-old and Hoyer will compete to be named the team's starter during camp.

RELATED: 

Brian Hoyer

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter

Jun 5, 2020, 9:23 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread