What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Joshua Dobbs, SF (2 Viewers)

As I am reading more about Mullens now he has actually thrown for a lot of yards in the starts he has accumulated so far in his career.

He has also thrown a lot of interceptions as well.

I don't know who Mullens is. What do you think you know about him?
He started 17 games and is 5-12 in those games. He is a competent passer (65-ish Comp%) but has 27 TD's to 23 Int's. QBR isn't great and he doesn't really pass the eye test. He jumped out of the gate quickly with SF when thrust in due to injuries and put up 260 yds, 3 TD, and 0 Int. He had potential based on that but then quickly settled into basically a career backup type of guy.

He might be the same or slightly better/worse than Dobbs but nothing that matters in the grand scheme of things.

"We're going to make sure that whoever is playing quarterback is aware and understands the intent behind plays where either Justin is the primary [target], or based upon coverage, based upon the defensive look, how to quickly and efficiently get to the right place to go with the football. In the end that's what the NFL passing game is about: rhythm, timing, understanding that the defense can and will take some things away, but progressing in rhythm."

O'Connell noted that Mullens has many of those attributes, given his 1½-year tenure in the Vikings' offense, while also pointing out that Hall "showed some real positives" in a short stint against the Atlanta Falcons in Week 9 before suffering his concussion. He said that Dobbs' contributions during that stretch of injuries "can't be discounted." Dobbs, however, has been "trying to make up for a lot of time on task" that he missed while spending training camp with the Cleveland Browns and the first half of the season with the Arizona Cardinals, O'Connell said.

"There are still a lot of things that are new for him," O'Connell said, "and just the margin of error, when you're talking about the NFL pass game, can be razor thin sometimes. The difference between conversions and chances for catch-and-runs versus potential turnover-worthy plays is such a small margin of error. That's what I'm trying to balance throughout the game, throughout our preparation, to make sure we do whatever we can to control what we can to put our players in the best possible situation..

"If that means molding and adapting more than we have, that's what we'll take a look at doing. If that means obviously trying to mix and match and figure out what's best personnel-wise, we'll take a look at that as well."

Vikings players have the rest of the week off and will reconvene next Monday after the bye. O'Connell said Tuesday there was no timetable yet for deciding on a starter, and he did not say whether he prefers to have someone in place for the full week of practice or will evaluate multiple options before deciding closer to the day of the game against the Raiders.

28 years old. 24 games 655 passing attempts 428 completions. 65 3% completion rate. 5085 yards. 7 aypa 211 yards/game 27 TD 23 Interceptions.

Looks like a guy who can complete a good amount of passes and get yards, but also takes a lot of sacks and throws a lot of interceptions.

We haven't seen Mullins much, so hard to say what he can do. I think myself and others may be afraid of him being another Sean Mannion. But we don't really know yet.
Mullens has started 17 NFL games most of which was with the 49ers. I think we know what he is at this point. He was fine but isn't going to be a starter at any point in the future. A back up in a pinch but we do know what he is.

If they are going to go away from Dobbs the only option to me is Hall to see whether he could be a starter down the road. The Vikes aren't doing anything this year. Why not see what the rookie can do.
hall is not a long term answer and theyre a playoff team right now, so this year has a lot of stakes

We haven't seen Mullins much, so hard to say what he can do. I think myself and others may be afraid of him being another Sean Mannion. But we don't really know yet.
Mullens has started 17 NFL games most of which was with the 49ers. I think we know what he is at this point. He was fine but isn't going to be a starter at any point in the future. A back up in a pinch but we do know what he is.

If they are going to go away from Dobbs the only option to me is Hall to see whether he could be a starter down the road. The Vikes aren't doing anything this year. Why not see what the rookie can do.
hall is not a long term answer and theyre a playoff team right now, so this year has a lot of stakes
How do we know Hall isn't a long term answer? We don't know what he is at all. He likely isn't but he should at least get a chance at some point.

Also, who cares that they are a playoff team right now? Being the 6th or 7th seed really doesn't do much for you other than keeping you mediocre.

How do we know Hall isn't a long term answer? We don't know what he is at all. He likely isn't but he should at least get a chance at some point.

Also, who cares that they are a playoff team right now? Being the 6th or 7th seed really doesn't do much for you other than keeping you mediocre.
Who cares? I presume the coach, owners and players do. I'm sure Justin Jefferson cares, he had every chance to shut it down and this team battled back.

Hall was their third stringer to start the year and they acquired Dobbs when they had a chance to run with him. He's a stiff.

Hall was their third stringer to start the year and they acquired Dobbs when they had a chance to run with him. He's a stiff.
Hall is a rookie they are fairly high on. I think Dobbs was brought in because they were down to just Hall with Mullens on IR and Cousins going down. It was a desperation (cheap) move at the time because they needed someone. I think Hall is someone they want to see what he can do. If you are soured on Dobbs, now is the time to see what he can do.

As far as the playoffs goes, sure they would like to make the playoffs. My point was they aren't Super Bowl bound with this team as is. Probably wasn't even there with Cousins and JJ healthy all year. But they are nowhere close without Cousins.

I'm so confused why people were dropping this guy to waivers. What an easy decision to scoop up- worst case he flames out but best case you have some really good rushing stats along with the complete trio of receivers.

I'm so confused why people were dropping this guy to waivers. What an easy decision to scoop up- worst case he flames out but best case you have some really good rushing stats along with the complete trio of receivers.
I have a game this weekend, can get a bye if I win.. but I can't reasonably roll him out knowing that he may be on a short leash, so I'd guess thats why he's hitting the wire. People in wait and see mode. And I love this dude and his story, but if we are to believe KOC, he said his priority is the QB that sets JJ up best

I have him on my bench and definitely not dropping. He had a bad game yes, but a lot of the spiral in that game wasn't just his fault. Dobbs has played really well all year long in the worst of situations. Has proven rushing upside. Just got the best WR in the league back who should be 100% healthy. His playoff schedule is amazing and all dome after next week at Cincy. Dobbs is last in the NFL this year in WR YAC, he's gotten ZERO help.

He could also not even be the starter by this time next week. I am only making the case for a ceiling playoff boom that I can truly see happening if things fall into place.

Could also be super helpful to those with QB's that may rest before playoffs..

Someone just dropped him in my league. As someone who has Howell (bye and TOUGH matchups) and Geno (SF and some easy matchups but hes been bad) I am trying to figure out who to drop for him.

Most likely not, but 4 interceptions in a game is too much. Mullens might at least protect the ball more at the expense of not running the ball as well.
While he had 4 picks there weren't all on him. Addison should have caught the one off his helmet. There was one that was a great (and unlucky for Dobbs) diving deflection that should have just been an incompletion as it wasn't a bad throw. One was a great play by Johnson peeling off his underneath coverage after jumping that route to get back in time for the int. Just a great play. I can't remember the 4th one.

I do know there were a couple that could have been picked and were dropped so some of it is cancelled a bit. But the Vikes played terrible as a team yesterday. O-Line bad, Defense on the last drive was terrible. running game was non-existent. A full team effort.

I don't think Dobbs is the answer but neither is Mullins. They should already know what he can do. I would play Dobbs over him but I could see giving Hall a shot since they really aren't going anywhere this year.
I think a lot of people just overreacting from a bad game from Dobbs and a bad game plan from the coaching staff. Granted, the Bears did a good job with a controlled pass rush but the Vikings didn’t exactly call plays that allowed Dobbs to get outside the box. Plus, he’s still only had 3 games in their system. Think he is their best choice to win games now.

As a 49er fan, I like Mullens, but he is very limited. Decent backup, but wouldn’t want him to start for a long period of time.

Well I am glad they spent some time with the bye week to evaluate their options.

They have decided to continue to start Dobbs.

They haven't seen Dobbs with Jefferson in game action yet. He changes things a lot. The Vikings have been somewhat reinventing their offense without Jefferson in the meantime. They will be able to go back to some of the previous offense now.

I got a sense that while Mullens is healthy enough to practice now, that KOC isnt confident that he is fully recovered to be ready to start yet. That might be a factor here. Obviously they evaluated Mullens recent practices as well as all the other practice reps they have with him on record and ultimately decided Dobbs is their best option.

Last edited:
Most likely not, but 4 interceptions in a game is too much. Mullens might at least protect the ball more at the expense of not running the ball as well.
While he had 4 picks there weren't all on him. Addison should have caught the one off his helmet. There was one that was a great (and unlucky for Dobbs) diving deflection that should have just been an incompletion as it wasn't a bad throw. One was a great play by Johnson peeling off his underneath coverage after jumping that route to get back in time for the int. Just a great play. I can't remember the 4th one.

I do know there were a couple that could have been picked and were dropped so some of it is cancelled a bit. But the Vikes played terrible as a team yesterday. O-Line bad, Defense on the last drive was terrible. running game was non-existent. A full team effort.

I don't think Dobbs is the answer but neither is Mullins. They should already know what he can do. I would play Dobbs over him but I could see giving Hall a shot since they really aren't going anywhere this year.
I think a lot of people just overreacting from a bad game from Dobbs and a bad game plan from the coaching staff.

It wasn't just one bad game. More like 2.5 not very good games.

I hear what you are saying and perhaps I and others were overreacting, but that reaction was to more than just one game.

Granted, the Bears did a good job with a controlled pass rush but the Vikings didn’t exactly call plays that allowed Dobbs to get outside the box. Plus, he’s still only had 3 games in their system. Think he is their best choice to win games now.

This is part of the issue from my perspective. Teams got some game tape of Dobbs with the Vikings and they made adjustments.

Dobbs had a partial game vs Atlanta that he made some great plays escaping the pass rush. Some of this was a bit Houdini like and perhaps not sustainable.

Then the Vikings had an amazing 1st half vs the Saints, but the Saints adjusted and the Vikings chose to mostly just run the ball in the 2nd half, riding the 1st half lead to victory. To me this showed that Dobbs play made them nervous and they wanted to limit that risk because they could.

Then in the Denver game it was many turnovers and Dobbs couldn't do much at all as a passer. The Vikings were winning that game holding Denver to field goals even after turnovers and short fields.

Dobbs really only needed to put one good drive together to either keep the lead or get the Vikings in field goal range to win it after Denver finally did take the lead near the end of the game.

He didn't do that.

So really it's been more bad offensive play than good when you put it all together.

As a 49er fan, I like Mullens, but he is very limited. Decent backup, but wouldn’t want him to start for a long period of time.
I appreciate your opinion. I have not seen Mullens play. So it may be a bit of Monty Hall mystery box here for me.

When you see bad QB play you have to wonder if someone else might be able to do better.

The coaches spent some time considering that as well before deciding to stick with Dobbs.

Last edited:
I would guess he was QB2, 3, or 4 for most teams that had him. He was heading into his bye week and a lot of people needed to drop someone. I had to choose between him and Mingo in a keeper league (actually went with dropping Mingo but it was really close).

I think a lot of people just overreacting from a bad game from Dobbs and a bad game plan from the coaching staff. Granted, the Bears did a good job with a controlled pass rush but the Vikings didn’t exactly call plays that allowed Dobbs to get outside the box. Plus, he’s still only had 3 games in their system. Think he is their best choice to win games now.

Yeah fantasy a different story.

Isn't Dobbs one of the rushing leaders at the QB position?

I recall hearing something like that. I haven't looked it up.

Obviously he has had rushing TDs.

Could be a nice sneaky play this week against Vegas.
Or...he could throw an early pick and get benched.

I have him as a top 12 play this week. JJ is a massive difference maker for the entire passing game. I believe in KOC and his ability to draw up plays that suit Dobbs’ strengths (bootlegs). Get Dobbs out of the pocket and allow JJ to run around for 6 seconds will be a great combo.

I have him as a top 12 play this week. JJ is a massive difference maker for the entire passing game. I believe in KOC and his ability to draw up plays that suit Dobbs’ strengths (bootlegs). Get Dobbs out of the pocket and allow JJ to run around for 6 seconds will be a great combo.
Strongly considering over L. Jackson who looks to be playing in a monsoon. Probably will wait until pre game to see how bad it is.

Depending on what expert you read on Dobbs, he's either getting yanked after a series or is the sleeper of the week with JJ back against a LV pass rush with a banged up Crosby.

Strongly considering over L. Jackson who looks to be playing in a monsoon. Probably will wait until pre game to see how bad it is.

Depending on what expert you read on Dobbs, he's either getting yanked after a series or is the sleeper of the week with JJ back against a LV pass rush with a banged up Crosby.
It would have to be as bad as two weeks ago for him to get yanked.

It would have to be as bad as two weeks ago for him to get yanked.
I don't get the sense that Dobbs is on a short leash based on KOCs comments.

I agree it would need to be very bad for them to bench him.

KOC did say he was thinking about it in the last game to give the team a spark before they had the extra time to think it over with the bye.

I also got the sense that although Mullens is cleared to play now, that he might not be at his best yet. So if something did happen I am not sure if Mullens or Hall would come in right now.

I guess it's not surprising that his big time performances - last year taking over for an injured Tannehill and this year taking over for an injured Cousins - are when the defenses probably didn't have a ton of time to prepare for him. Once they did, it shows why he's been a journeyman. Can fill in at times admirably, but not a QB you want to hitch your wagon to.

Last edited:
Someone just dropped him in my league. As someone who has Howell (bye and TOUGH matchups) and Geno (SF and some easy matchups but hes been bad) I am trying to figure out who to drop for him.
Welp this cost me a win. Shouldve added Ridder or even Lock to replace Geno

Wow. Dodged a bullet here.

I can't imagine the self loathing I'd be doing this morning if I sat Lamar for Dobbs.

Wow. Dodged a bullet here.

I can't imagine the self loathing I'd be doing this morning if I sat Lamar for Dobbs.
I was not so lucky. Most likely cost me a division title, first round bye, and a playoff spot. So bad.

Dobbs is an interesting backup option to Purdy. Darnold seemed to be a better fit to back up Purdy in case of emergency, but I guess the options were limited and Shanahan is enough of a creative mind to make it work if need be.

49ers signed QB Joshua Dobbs to a one-year contract.
The four-year veteran joins his fifth NFL franchise and should immediately become the primary backup behind quarterback Brock Purdy in San Francisco. Another Wonderlic test standout, Dobbs should make any transition at quarterback less involved for the 49ers should Purdy miss any time in 2024. That said, Dobbs displayed issues with ball security with the Vikings and Cardinals last season, something that likely kept him from earning a starting gig with another team this offseason.
- Rotoworld

Users who are viewing this thread