What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (3 Viewers)

Grabbed him last week , i had the 4 WW and nobody took him before me . Thats insane

I picked him up 3 weeks ago. We have free agent bids but since I only had a measly $4, didn't even bother putting in a bid, thinking someone would bid a decent chunk on him. But nobody bid, so was able to grab him. Nice QBBC with Tua rest of season. Went from the QB outhouse to the QB penthouse in a few short weeks.

Grabbed him last week , i had the 4 WW and nobody took him before me . Thats insane

I also grabbed Tua just before he came off IR

Im trying to move Tua for someone decent but honestly i wont be heartbroken if i cant, hes a great back up
Fields rushing TD yesterday when he looked like he was surrounded and sacked , then got away and barreled into 2 defenders to score ....all i can say is WOW.

He does make me a bit nervous , thats a recipe for injury , hence keeping Tua around
Have both also and won’t be actively shopping Tua, but would consider offers if they come to me. Reasoning being the same as yours.

I picked him up 3 weeks ago. We have free agent bids but since I only had a measly $4, didn't even bother putting in a bid, thinking someone would bid a decent chunk on him. But nobody bid, so was able to grab him. Nice QBBC with Tua rest of season. Went from the QB outhouse to the QB penthouse in a few short weeks.
Traded Mahomes early in the season and thought I was doomed to play the QB carousel the entire season. Glad to have moved on up in the world with you gentlemen.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed Fields as much as anyone, but I am going to be the cautious wet blanket here. He faced two poor defenses in weeks 9-10 (Mia and Det). Week 11 will likely continue the party at Atlanta. However, he has these 5 games up in weeks 12-16: @NYJ, GB, Bye, Phi, Buf. I foresee some coming back down to earth, although I acknowledge the ability to defend against QB runs is not always up to par with the rest of a good defense. Don't expect many passing points to supplement the runs though, and running points may be harder to come by.

I have enjoyed Fields as much as anyone, but I am going to be the cautious wet blanket here. He faced two poor defenses in weeks 9-10 (Mia and Det). Week 11 will likely continue the party at Atlanta. However, he has these 5 games up in weeks 12-16: @NYJ, GB, Bye, Phi, Buf. I foresee some coming back down to earth, although I acknowledge the ability to defend against QB runs is not always up to par with the rest of a good defense. Don't expect many passing points to supplement the runs though, and running points may be harder to come by.
He did do well vs NE and Dal and those are considered as top defenses. 24 and 26 points in 4pts per TD pass. If you have been on the JF train, I can't imagine sitting him. Unless you have Mahomes or Allen, of course.

He did do well vs NE and Dal and those are considered as top defenses. 24 and 26 points in 4pts per TD pass. If you have been on the JF train, I can't imagine sitting him. Unless you have Mahomes or Allen, of course.

Does he belong in the Lamar/Hurts/Burrow tier? That's pretty lofty territory!

Its interesting because man defenses tend to struggle against running QBs, because DB's tend to have their backs to the line of scrimmage. NE, Miami, and Detroit are 3 of the 5 most man heavy defenses in the NFL. But Dallas is almost the exact opposite, and they struggled too. I'm not worried about his schedule at all, he seems pretty matchup proof.

Fields has been a top-5 QB in 4 straight games. He's doing more as a runner than any QB in NFL history during that stretch, even 2019 Lamar wasn't at this level. Hell, Fields rushing production has been better than Dalvin Cook's this season and Cook hasn't been bad.

Fields has been like starting a QB2 and an RB1 these last few weeks. He probably isn't going to be scoring 2 TD's or topping 150 rushing yards every week. But 75-1 feels like a pretty reliable rushing total weekly.

Yes

He gets ATL this week.

💯

It's been my greatest joy this year listening to league mates try to explain after every game the last 5 weeks why JF is "not an advanced passer"....COMPLETELY motivated by the fact they didn't pick him up free week 5 :ROFLMAO:

I loathe Nagy and give him a complete bye for year 1. So by my judgement JF passing progression trajectory looks great. Imagine being comfortable in an offense and maybe having some protection next year with a couple quality receivers. I think a Jalen Hurts trajectory is a very fair comparison.
Think his ceiling is higher than Hurts. Give Fieids a top 5 OL and high end talent on the outside.

Just moved him and DPJ -for- Godwin and D Johnson (PIT).

Have Burrow behind him, and injuries have decimated my WR corps. Fringe playoff team.

Of course now I have both Godwin and Evans starting, so if Brady doesn't right the ship, I'm going down with it :lol:

Last edited:
Picked him off waivers in my dynasty week 4 and just turned him into Justin Herbert. Sort of on the fence about it honestly but Herbert was a target of mine last off-season and to get him for a waiver wire pickup feels good but I’m still wondering if it was the right move but leaning to it was

Yeah, I got him off waivers in Footballguys Players Championship a few weeks ago in a couple of spots. Where I didn't already roster him, since I took him late almost everywhere.

I'd be in stronger shape in a couple of leagues if I had started him over Josh Allen or Pat Mahomes the last 2 weeks. Crazy.

I think he is in the untouchable tier in SuperFlex with Josh Allen and Mahomes now. IDK how much this anecdote is worth but last week before Christian Williams' outbreak, I offered Trey Lance, Nico Collins and Watson for Fields and got a counter of Lance, Javonte Williams and Jamaar Chase for Fields. I declined. Not sure if that counter was more of a response to thinking my offer was a lowball or what, but nevertheless Fields would seem to be in the very top tier now. Today anyway.

Am very surprised and glad that the coaches have opened the playbook up over the last several games. They started doing exactly what I had been upset about them not doing previously. I think they must have read my tweets and decided to do the right thing. I feel like I really did my part to help out. Now let's give Claypool 10 targets a game please. *sticks out tongue*

Was just moved in one of my leagues for Walker III

Fields owner has Mahommy
As someone who has both Fields and Walker. I'd rather have the Walker side of that one.

I trust Fields enough that I traded Kyler (pre-injury) in a package deal with some other stuff, that turned into Andrews (when he was out)

Was just moved in one of my leagues for Walker III

Fields owner has Mahommy
As someone who has both Fields and Walker. I'd rather have the Walker side of that one.

I trust Fields enough that I traded Kyler (pre-injury) in a package deal with some other stuff, that turned into Andrews (when he was out)

And, I would rather have Andrews than Walker in a vacuum... and Fields over Kyler right now.

Justin Fields completed 14-of-21 passes for 153 yards, one touchdown and an interception in the Bears' 27-24, Week 11 loss to the Falcons, adding 18 carries for 85 additional yards and a touchdown.​

It was a grueling game for the young dual-threat, who was having issues with his hamstrings before getting his non-throwing shoulder lit up late. He toughed out the issues to finish the game, but was spotted on a cart heading for a shoulder evaluation after the fact. It is his non-throwing arm, but just ask Baker Mayfield how big of an issue that can be. Provided Fields can go for Week 12, he has a tough matchup in the Jets. As for Week 11, Fields was inches away from a much bigger day but just missed Darnell Mooney for a 66-yard touchdown. The passing score Fields did convert was a 16-yard strike to Mooney on third down. We saw some of the limitations of putting the entire offense on Fields' shoulders this afternoon, but his dynamic running is paying off week after week for both Chicago and fantasy managers.
SOURCE: Kevin Fishbain on Twitter
Nov 20, 2022, 4:12 PM ET

I don't think the hamstring is anything serious, looked more like cramps in my opinion. Like, he was more uncomfortable than hurt. The shoulder is the bigger issue, though it didn't look like too serious as he finished the game. I'm guessing he probably isn't in danger of missing next week's game, though he may get his rushing scaled back a little, which is obviously bad for his value.

Post game on Chicago radio thinking some kind of AC joint sprain. Non throwing shoulder. He is going to definitely need to slow down on the running and when he does take off get out of bounds or slide.

You would think NFL Teams would learn that QBs whose first instinct is to call their own number and run only last a couple years at most. They run for a reason - because they can't throw.

Yeah, I get it. For FF purposes he's a gold mine at the moment. I'll say at the moment because running QBs always get hurt sooner rather than later, but if I was a WR or RB on a team with a QB who always calls his own number every other play, I would ask to be traded. They can't even earn their paycheck because the QB is constantly ball-hogging and trying to cover up the fact that he can't pass to save his life.

When will the running QB fad ever end?

You would think NFL Teams would learn that QBs whose first instinct is to call their own number and run only last a couple years at most. They run for a reason - because they can't throw.

Yeah, I get it. For FF purposes he's a gold mine at the moment. I'll say at the moment because running QBs always get hurt sooner rather than later, but if I was a WR or RB on a team with a QB who always calls his own number every other play, I would ask to be traded. They can't even earn their paycheck because the QB is constantly ball-hogging and trying to cover up the fact that he can't pass to save his life.

When it stops being successful, which isn't likely to be any time soon, especially with teams targeting smaller speedier defenders to cover as much ground as possible against those elite passers.

The Bears offense has been the best its been in years over the last month. Also, pretty sure RBs love running QBs, if creates even more space for them, as they have at least 1 fewer defender trying to tackle them, because they have to have contain on the QB.

When it stops being successful, which isn't likely to be any time soon, especially with teams targeting smaller speedier defenders to cover as much ground as possible against those elite passers.

The Bears offense has been the best its been in years over the last month. Also, pretty sure RBs love running QBs, if creates even more space for them, as they have at least 1 fewer defender trying to tackle them, because they have to have contain on the QB.
If the RB is never getting the ball because the QB is consistently calling his own number, how would they even get space? They're not even getting the ball. :shrug:

If the RB is never getting the ball because the QB is consistently calling his own number, how would they even get space? They're not even getting the ball. :shrug:
Montgomery had 21 touches today

I don't think Fields is "calling his own number". The OC finally started molding the offense to his QB's strengths. And Fields' passing has improved immensely in the process. I don't think Mooney or Kmet are complaining about their improved opportunities. Montgomery is getting plenty of opportunities and looks good. The team is more competitive. So, I find it hard to believe anyone is unhappy.

You know who else had 21 touches today?

You know who else had 21 touches today?
My beer koozie
:banned:

Bears coach Matt Eberflus said Justin Fields is "day to day" with a shoulder injury.​

Fields was in noticeable pain on Sunday after the team's loss to the Falcons and underwent evaluation for an injury to his non-throwing shoulder afterward. Eberflus announcing Fields as "day to day" to start the week is an encouraging sign for the second-year quarterback and could be an indication that they expect him to play in Week 12 against the Jets. We'll know more about Fields' status when the team releases its first injury report on Wednesday, but he appears to be in the clear long-term. If he's unable to play next week, the Bears would turn to backup Trevor Siemian.
Nov 21, 2022, 3:15 PM ET

What worries me long-term about Fields when compared to a guy like Hurts, is that Fields has yet to develop a real passing game. You can't go on forever like that or you'll get hurt.

What worries me long-term about Fields when compared to a guy like Hurts, is that Fields has yet to develop a real passing game. You can't go on forever like that or you'll get hurt.
Hello? I've been saying that since...forever. :)

However, there is a reason they run all the time - they can't pass. And if they haven't learned how to pass by the time they get to the NFL, then they never will. Eventually, NFL Defenses and age and injuries catch up with them after a year or two and then they are totally exposed as fraud QBs. From a FF perspective, they're golden, of course, but if you're an NFL team you're wasting your money, IMO.

Shoulder was dislocated they are now saying and head coach calls it day to day but didn't rule out season ending injury WTF :lol:

Trying not to see all this in negative light but I think the 150 yard rushing days may be over. It was a great ride.

Are you all serious?
End of year?
FUDGE!!!

I had to release Watson so i could keep Fields 2 weeks ago as he was rising
Still have a QB1 but man have my rosters taken hit after hit, I can't get thru a week without a major injury right now

Shoulder was dislocated they are now saying and head coach calls it day to day but didn't rule out season ending injury WTF :lol:

Trying not to see all this in negative light but I think the 150 yard rushing days may be over. It was a great ride.
Those were always outliers. I think 75 was a much more realistic number.

Dislocated shoulder is probably good news, that's an injury that can certainly be played through, and if that is the only issue, I'd be surprised if he missed the Jets game.

Dislocated shoulder is probably good news, that's an injury that can certainly be played through, and if that is the only issue, I'd be surprised if he missed the Jets game.
I guess it can be played through, although can’t imagine it would be a smart thing to do for a guy who relies on his legs so much. You know defenses are going to key on that shoulder. Not like the playoffs are in reach and they have a bye in week 14. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they let him rest through the bye.

Really no way of assessing his development as a passer with the lack of WR talent on the Bears. I’d imagine Field’s would look ok passing if he was still throwing to Olave and Wilson.

Users who are viewing this thread