What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (2 Viewers)

Nice to see people coming around. Going back to Ohio St, I've always thought of Fields as a Cam Newton level prospect.

Fields is not going to be a good QB, not even a decent one. Kid does not have it and you can easily see that.

He is never going to be any good passing the ball. Great athlete, crappy QB.

Nice to see people coming around. Going back to Ohio St, I've always thought of Fields as a Cam Newton level prospect.
As a big detractor, he played a great game today. This season is basically how he progresses. This coaching staff has really progressed also, they come to play and don’t commit dumb presnap penalties.

Fields is not going to be a good QB, not even a decent one. Kid does not have it and you can easily see that.

Really? You know this how? The great weapons he has? How about the wonderful line? He never has to run for his life. How about we give him more than a season and a half? How about the Bears commit some resources till we pass judgment? The Bears are in full rebuild and doing it on the fly. He needs some work on his mechanics. He needs to make better decisions and not force the ball. He is a work in progress and so are the Bears. Shout out to DA BEARS. :)

Really? You know this how? The great weapons he has? How about the wonderful line? He never has to run for his life. How about we give him more than a season and a half? How about the Bears commit some resources till we pass judgment? The Bears are in full rebuild and doing it on the fly. He needs some work on his mechanics. He needs to make better decisions and not force the ball. He is a work in progress and so are the Bears. Shout out to DA BEARS.
Fields #2 WR is a cast-off from the Packers. Agree that he needs to work on making faster decisions, and throwing receivers open. His accuracy is good, even in college.

He now has hit 80+ yds rushing in back to back games and it helps so much in fantasy and real life, taking a defender to spy him out of coverage and opening passing lanes. Its what I always hoped for the Bears and I'm going to out myself as a Bears fan. The trends are what I'll point to, he surpassed at least 175 passing yards in the last 4 games(Not bragging), but consider when he was barely getting 100 passing yards its progress.

All I wanted to see was progress and we have that. Plus now we are winning on top of that and it was so good to see him content last night during the game. A lot of people want the payoff immediately and 2023 will be the year of the Bears having a lot of picks and cap space so plenty to look forward to. This was a rebuild year. Eberflus is doing well. I'm content for where we are at and F GB.

As a big detractor, he played a great game today. This season is basically how he progresses. This coaching staff has really progressed also, they come to play and don’t commit dumb presnap penalties.
Fields passed the eye test this game and it is clear that Luke Getsy is figuring out how to work with a mobile QB. The designed QB runs in the first half were incredibly smart. They got Fields in the groove and gave him the confidence he needed to connect on the passing plays he had. I also felt like he wasn't looking for the HR play every single time this game. Fumbles aside, I was pleased by the progression of Fields and the staff.

Drafted fields last year in 1qb dynasty and he helped me down the stretch when I was making a playoff run. This year I'm rebuilding and he's helped with that too. Now it looks like he's making progress towards being an every week qb1 next year, especially if they get him a stud wr1. Would be awesome to pair him with Bijan or Jahmyr.

He'll need excellent coaching to get re-signed as a starter when his rookie contract is up. He doesn't have the anticipation he needs and that's pretty much something you either have or you don't. Maybe the coaches just need to tell him go out and throw as many int's as you want, just keep trying to throw people open and anticipate. Maybe he's throwing scared but after being a QB all his life he should already be more advanced in this.
Agree with you, great athlete and if coached and schemed correctly can have success but he doesn't have "it"

I think its incredibly unfair to give a final judgment on a QB that had a train wreck coaching staff as a rookie and less weapons than any team in the NFL to throw to. IT used to be a 4-5 yr development process - now people are dumping after 1.5 seasons. Heck Im even given Zach Wilson who has looked much worse than Fields with way more weapons a pass until the end of the year as his OL has been lousy. Sometimes it takes a little longer for the light to come on - and having a basically wasted rookie year and a horrific offense around him his 2d yr is completely unfair to judge in my opinion. The immediate success of some of these QBs has put unfair expectations on the rest.

The best aspect moving forward is what we really needed to see and finally saw last night, this was also the easiest readily available quick fix- change the offensive scheme to suit Fields strong suit and give your own team a very intangible advantage. Now we need Fields to learn how to protect himself, protect the ball, continue to improve his processing, and throw the ball away instead of taking some of those bad sacks. The Bears obviously really need to work on getting him better pass targets and keep improving the offensive line.

Trending the right way FF wise, 3 straight productive games.
Love what I am seeing. His completion % is up, yards per attempt is up, throwing TDs and eating teams up on the ground. I would have loved to see them trade for Elijah Moore or Jerry Jeudy. His last 4 games project out to a 3000 yards, 21 TD season with another 1100 and 8 on the ground. Very Jalen Hurts like. Also this could be really good for Mooney. He is a guy to get in leagues where the drafter has given up or is close to.

Wanted to wait and see how he did against Dallas(fantasy points wise) now I’m thinking I may have to spend a little extra to secure him as my Brady replacement. These next few weeks look extremely juicy matchups wise.

Claypool is exactly what this offense needed.
A WR that plays smaller than his size who falls down during jump ball situations instead of dominating the point of the catch against smaller DBs?!?

:lol:

Looks pretty good to me...

A WR that plays smaller than his size who falls down during jump ball situations instead of dominating the point of the catch against smaller DBs?!?

I'm not going to continue bashing him. However, that was by far his best game since his rookie season. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good but I don't know many Steeler fans who are unhappy with the trade. Maybe it works out for both teams.

I'm not going to continue bashing him. However, that was by far his best game since his rookie season. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good but I don't know many Steeler fans who are unhappy with the trade. Maybe it works out for both teams.
I was listening to the all-sports channel from Pitt after the trade yesterday, it was a Chicago bash fest and how Pitt stole that pick. Never once did they mentionBen R’s rag arm or their current qb situation while he was there. If the trade doesn’t work out, it’s a relatively low price to find out. There’s a good chance that it’s win/win.

I was listening to the all-sports channel from Pitt after the trade yesterday, it was a Chicago bash fest and how Pitt stole that pick. Never once did they mentionBen R’s rag arm or their current qb situation while he was there. If the trade doesn’t work out, it’s a relatively low price to find out. There’s a good chance that it’s win/win.

It will definitely be interesting to see what happens. I definitely don't think they were using him correctly there, and Big Ben having a noodle arm at that stage in his career was definitely a factor. What excites me most about Claypool is that his metrics are very similar to Davante Adams, and he just has not had a QB thus far. So the potential is there at least. I think at the very least it helps Fields a lot. I think Fields becomes similar to Jalen Hurts of last year, and next year he could make that "Jump" especially if they find him another weapon.

Last edited:
I think the knock on Claypool has been he’s big and fast but actually not very good down field or in contested situations. I could be wrong but that’s the impression I’ve gathered.

I think the knock on Claypool has been he’s big and fast but actually not very good down field or in contested situations. I could be wrong but that’s the impression I’ve gathered.
He's big but doesn't use his body to box out defenders on contested balls, and is usually bad at high pointing passes. Lacks getting separation from defenders as well, as his route running needs work.

He's shown some flashes at times, and is hard to bring down when he has the ball in hand.

It will definitely be interesting to see what happens. I definitely don't think they were using him correctly there, and Big Ben having a noodle arm at that stage in his career was definitely a factor. What excites me most about Claypool is that his metrics are very similar to Davante Adams, and he just has not had a QB thus far. So the potential is there at least. I think at the very least it helps Fields a lot. I think Fields becomes similar to Jalen Hurts of last year, and next year he could make that "Jump" especially if they find him another weapon.
And you can’t accurately grade Fields without getting him some help. It’s far from a lost year for Chicago as you will know where you stand with Fields. I was so mad when the Bears passed on Claypool for Kmet, thinking GB would take him to replace Adams.

I think Pburgh won the trade since Claypool was going to be phased out anyway. Claypool will help Fields and Chicago too but a second round pick for an average WR feels steep.

I think Pburgh won the trade since Claypool was going to be phased out anyway. Claypool will help Fields and Chicago too but a second round pick for an average WR feels steep.
I guess I’m not buying much of what Pitt is trying to do. Supposedly it isn’t a good FA group of WR’s, so Chicago wanted to be proactive (hard to believe). GB was offering theirn2nd rounder also.

I guess I’m not buying much of what Pitt is trying to do. Supposedly it isn’t a good FA group of WR’s, so Chicago wanted to be proactive (hard to believe). GB was offering theirn2nd rounder also.
Here's a sad list:

Notable #NFL WR Free Agents for 2023
A.J. Green
Jamison Crowder
D.J Chark
Allen Lazard
Randall Cobb
Sammy Watkins
Parris Campbell
JuJu Smith-Schuster
Mecole Hardman
Jakobi Myers
Sterling Shepard
Julio Jones
Cam Sims
Jauan Jennings
Marquez Callaway

Justin Fields completed 17-of-28 passes for 123 yards and three touchdowns in Chicago's 35-32, Week 9 loss to Miami, adding 15 carries for 178 yards and an additional touchdown.

Fields' 61-yard rushing touchdown in the third quarter brought the Bears to within three and even though it's mostly horizontal, Chicago's passing game looks night-and-day different than it did in the first few weeks of the season. Fields is channeling peak Lamar Jackson's powers and playcalls, threw an absolutely filthy touchdown to Mooney, and broke the NFL's quarterback rushing record with 178. (Michael Vick had the record with 173.) A late downfield throw to Chase Claypool was somehow not ruled defensive pass interference despite him being held down by a Dolphins defender, and Fields' fourth-and-10 throw to Equamineous St. Brown was dropped. With the Lions on tap for Week 10, Fields is suddenly looking like a must-start QB1.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Users who are viewing this thread