What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (3 Viewers)

He ran the ball 124 times in 13 games last year and 160 times in 15 games the year before.

That's literally RB usage. He runs as often if not more often than Lamar Jackson. The guy is a total mope. Even if he is any good, he won't be good for long.

And teams let him run all over the place because the team is already down 2 scores and instead of running an NFL style no huddle, 4 minute offense he runs for a bunch of empty yards in losses.

If I was up 14 on the Bears, I'm letting idiot Fields run all over me while the clock continues to burn. Once he has to throw the ball, he'll just turn it over.

Did you know he also had the record for most fumbles a game for a QB? He held it briefly but lost it, now he's just the 3rd most fumble prone QB in NFL history.

He's awesome though. Bears should keep him over a generational talent. He's right behind Ryan Leaf. He's actually on a lot of lists with Ryan Leaf (career win percentage for one).

And teams let him run all over the place because the team is already down 2 scores and instead of running an NFL style no huddle, 4 minute offense he runs for a bunch of empty yards in losses.

If I was up 14 on the Bears, I'm letting idiot Fields run all over me while the clock continues to burn. Once he has to throw the ball, he'll just turn it over.
Take some emotion out of it as a fan
Your Bears have had a dearth of talent on both sides of the ball.
The OL has been atrocious. Too many times Fields has dropped back and not even been able to get to his second read, let alone his first.
Lack of wrs.....your argument for being down late in the game says more about the defense and overall lack of talent

Is Fields the next Manning? Doubtful.....but he can win and flourish with better talent and an ever improving game. He is getting better as his talent around him has gotten better. Gotta find the right system for this kid as well as talent and support. Someone will if not the Bears, especially if they trade him for a nickel

Seeing a lot of reports that the Bears haven’t actually been engaging teams with Fields as they’re unsure about Caleb Williams.

Fields might still be their QB1?
😳
Completely false. Caleb is locked in and has been. Supposedly Fields was never even an option. It was Caleb vs Maye and Daniels, not Caleb vs Fields
I’ve seen several reputable reporters tweeting about it. It’s all speculation at this point, but I’m not talking about twitter randos.

Word from the combine was there were personality quirks with Williams. That can be significant or it can be nothing

We’ll see…

No way the Bears pass on Caleb Williams. If they do, we deserve to remain a poverty franchise.

If you know our history at Quarterback, this is the easiest selection of all time. At this rate, he'll probably get traded at the draft for a 4th Rounder. He's worth at least a 3rd Round comp pick if he walks in FA, would the Bears take a 4th Rounder this year as opposed to a 3rd next?

I'd think so. If the Bears keep Fields as their starting QB, I won't watch any of their games.

Our franchise has been waiting since Sid Luckman for this guy. Worst case scenario keep Fields. Have your cake and eat it too, but under no circumstance is Justin Fields our starter this season.
I think their best move is keeping fields, moving to 2, and drafting MH2.

Far less risk. Caleb could be a bust.

But that’s just me.

What would you say Justin Fields does well? Is there a stat or a key win he's had that makes you believe he is a franchise Quarterback?

Because I have a whole list of stats that I'm sure you're familiar with that says he's a bust.
He’s shown improvement

Not like the OL, OC or overall coaching staff has done Fields any favors.

I’ve watched him play at elite level.

stats may not lie, but they can be used to tell any story.

Justin Fields is 11-29 as a starter. 4 of those wins were against teams over .500.

Normally wins are a Quarterback stat, except when you're discussing Justin Fields. In which case suddenly it's everyone else's fault except him, even though I've watched him constantly fumble and throw interceptions on game winning drives.

What game would you say Fields has looked elite? Because I can give you about 25 to 30 in which he's looked like ****.
Caleb went 7-5 and 0-4 against ranked teams last year and yet is a "generational talent" right?
93-10 TD/INT past two years

120-114 past 3

Including rushing TD's

Not bad
I get it, but he couldn't even win his conference... which is one of the weaker power 5 ones.

You know since wins is a qb stat...

The OL has been atrocious. Too many times Fields has dropped back and not even been able to get to his second read, let alone his first.
Lack of wrs.....your argument for being down late in the game says more about the defense and overall lack of talent

Is Fields the next Manning? Doubtful.....but he can win and flourish with better talent and an ever improving game. He is getting better as his talent around him has gotten better. Gotta find the right system for this kid as well as talent and support. Someone will if not the Bears, especially if they trade him for a nickel

Man, I wish that was the case. But how many running QBs have succeeded in the last 20 years?

Vick and Jackson? I'll leave the thread after this post since people love a guy who doesn't win games, has thrown for 167 yards per game on average, and briefly held the record for most fumbles per game.

He is the caricature of everything people don't like about running Quarterbacks. Either way, come April 25, I never have to deal with this loser again. I hope your favorite team signs him so you can enjoy his 11-29 record and 167 yards a game. Enjoy how much potential he has as he continues to fumble and lose games.

Seacrest out.

I mean, Jesus ****, Mac Jones made the playoffs and has looked miles ahead of Justin Fields and the Patriots just shipped him away for a 6th Round Pick, yet this guy still needs more time? They were drafted in the same year, except Fields needs more time but Mac is a bust.

It's just nonsensical the lengths people bend to defend this guy.
HEY! you said you were leaving

Jokes aside....I don't think Fields had the same support Mac had

I mean, Jesus ****, Mac Jones made the playoffs and has looked miles ahead of Justin Fields and the Patriots just shipped him away for a 6th Round Pick, yet this guy still needs more time? They were drafted in the same year, except Fields needs more time but Mac is a bust.

Perhaps not, but Jones never had a WR as good as DJ Moore. Even with an elite WR last year and a really good TE, Fields still couldn't get to 200 passing yards a game. He's a great YouTube QB (his highlights look great!), but when you watch him play, the eyeball test is not kind to him. He just looks like someone for whom the NFL moves too fast. In other words, his inability to read defenses quickly AND consistently just kills them on offense.

Perhaps not, but Jones never had a WR as good as DJ Moore. Even with an elite WR last year and a really good TE, Fields still couldn't get to 200 passing yards a game. He's a great YouTube QB (his highlights look great!), but when you watch him play, the eyeball test is not kind to him. He just looks like someone for whom the NFL moves too fast. In other words, his inability to read defenses quickly AND consistently just kills them on offense.

I don't think Fields is a great pocket passer. Not going out on a limb there by any means

And he did look robotic last year. They deliberately mandated him staying in the pocket

Get him out on rollout, designed reads similar to Lamars progression at least. That's my opinion

Man, I wish that was the case. But how many running QBs have succeeded in the last 20 years?

Vick and Jackson? I'll leave the thread after this post since people love a guy who doesn't win games, has thrown for 167 yards per game on average, and briefly held the record for most fumbles per game.

He is the caricature of everything people don't like about running Quarterbacks. Either way, come April 25, I never have to deal with this loser again. I hope your favorite team signs him so you can enjoy his 11-29 record and 167 yards a game. Enjoy how much potential he has as he continues to fumble and lose games.

Seacrest out.
Do you know Joe Namath's overall record? You know, the guy who's in the Hall of Fame? Won the Superbowl in 68? 66-70-4. His overall teams were crap after the Superbowl run and the record shows. Point being, football is a team sport and team record doesn't tell the entire story. Of course, most aren't interested in the nuance. It's all about the shiny new toy.

The OL was pretty good this year. Let’s face it, they had a cake schedule and still treated him with kid gloves at the end of the season.

All I know is if Fields has to play for Getsy again, it should be voided by the league as cruel and unusual punishment. I was hoping the Steelers got him, and am obviously a believer he can be better than what we've seen so far. But if he lands on the Raiders with Getsy, he may as well retire now IMO.

Justin Fields is 11-29 as a starter. 4 of those wins were against teams over .500.
Football is a team sport.

So you don't think starting QB has a correlation to team wins?
QB certainly does, but he also doesn't take all the blame. As I mentioned before the reality is somewhere in the middle. Bears coaches and schemes were trash. The didn't give him much to work with until DJM came to town, and they forced Fields into a role that wasn't suited for him.

He's not as bad as some people make him out to be, and he sure didn't get any support or help from the coaches. Are there areas of his game that need to improve - for sure. I hope he goes somewhere that will use him properly. He can still be good for fantasy.

Seeing a lot of reports that the Bears haven’t actually been engaging teams with Fields as they’re unsure about Caleb Williams.

Fields might still be their QB1?
😳
Completely false. Caleb is locked in and has been. Supposedly Fields was never even an option. It was Caleb vs Maye and Daniels, not Caleb vs Fields
I’ve seen several reputable reporters tweeting about it. It’s all speculation at this point, but I’m not talking about twitter randos.

Word from the combine was there were personality quirks with Williams. That can be significant or it can be nothing

We’ll see…

No way the Bears pass on Caleb Williams. If they do, we deserve to remain a poverty franchise.

If you know our history at Quarterback, this is the easiest selection of all time. At this rate, he'll probably get traded at the draft for a 4th Rounder. He's worth at least a 3rd Round comp pick if he walks in FA, would the Bears take a 4th Rounder this year as opposed to a 3rd next?

I'd think so. If the Bears keep Fields as their starting QB, I won't watch any of their games.

Our franchise has been waiting since Sid Luckman for this guy. Worst case scenario keep Fields. Have your cake and eat it too, but under no circumstance is Justin Fields our starter this season.
I think their best move is keeping fields, moving to 2, and drafting MH2.

Far less risk. Caleb could be a bust.

But that’s just me.
Me too. I'd keep Fields, target MHjr. and load up everywhere else with all those picks.
Are you a Bears fan?

You're wrong about the o line. It's far from atrocious.

There may not be a market for this guy. Where could he go now? Everybody left is going to draft a qb.
I would prefer Fields to Darnold in Minnesota
I'd also prefer Fields to JJ McCarthy.
McCarthy is growing on me but I really wanted him to sit behind Cousins for one to two years and learn and then take over. That isn't happening now (at least not with the Vikes).

I've posted in this thread several times that Fields had the most pocket time to throw in the NFL in 2023. He makes his line look bad because he holds the ball too long.

Got to think the price has come down to a 4th now. Maybe a 5th.

The market has spoken.
Reportedly the Bears have not be shopping him, so we have no idea what the market has said. :shrug:
That report defies belief.

Even caught Jaylon Johnson yesterday talking about him being gone like it was a done deal and he's one of his supporters. Here is his comment:

"We know the business that we're in," Johnson said Monday. "So I feel like it wouldn't be mature of us as a locker room not to rally together in spite of having Justin leave.

"I know how we would feel with him here, but we'll all have our opinions, our emotions, but as far as the locker room staying together, I think we have the right guys in the locker room to keep everything together, to keep us together."

This has been said a few times in this topic. They had the 22nd worst pass protecting OL.

Out of 32 teams.

That’s atrocious.
22nd worst would be 11th best, which is really good ... But I know what you mean! But even then I don't know that 22/32 would normally be called "atrocious" ... Just bad.

Seacrest out.
Do you know Joe Namath's overall record? You know, the guy who's in the Hall of Fame? Won the Superbowl in 68? 66-70-4. His overall teams were crap after the Superbowl run and the record shows. Point being, football is a team sport and team record doesn't tell the entire story. Of course, most aren't interested in the nuance. It's all about the shiny new toy.

That's still a 48.5% win percentage. If Fields was anywhere near that, I wouldn't hate him. Fields win percentage is 27.5%.

Fields would need to win his next 16 games to have a 48.5% win percentage. What about the 167 yards passing per game or the fact that he fumbles the ball at the 3rd highest rate of any QB in league history. Is that the teams fault too?

I bet if he fumbled less and threw for more yards, the Bears would have lost less games.

Joe Namath is a HOF. If Fields was anyway resembling a HOF, the Bears wouldn't be replacing him. I still have no clue how a guy can be the 3rd most fumble prone QB in NFL history and throw for 167 passing yards a game and the defense to him is that Joe Namath had a sub .500 record. Joe Namath wouldn't be 11-29 if he played for those Bears teams.

It's not about the shiny new toy, we gave Fields 3 years.

Fields has A LOT to do with that ranking.
No, the fact that they had several players playing out of position & were a rag tag group of injury replacements has everything to do with that ranking.
Tackles played 16 games together. Interior had issues but Fields is an o lines worst nightmare.
Careful not to strain a muscle with that reach. ;)

No, he's right. Fields holds onto the ball more than any other QB in the league, he can't process the Fields and forces the o-line to block longer than it should.

No, the fact that they had several players playing out of position & were a rag tag group of injury replacements has everything to do with that ranking.
Tackles played 16 games together. Interior had issues but Fields is an o lines worst nightmare.

No, he's right. Fields holds onto the ball more than any other QB in the league, he can't process the Fields and forces the o-line to block longer than it should.
He had like .3 seconds to make a read.

Cmon.’

maybe if you read the article I sent you above
That article is from Oct of 2022.

Do you have any data to the contrary? Otherwise this seems like the best we have to work with.

I did my due diligence, if you have stats to prove otherwise let me know otherwise don't pick apart my effort.
I believe that he has improved since Oct 2022 and that his issues this year (which is what HSG was referencing) were more line related. All of the data you are referencing is old data and may not be applicable (or as applicable). I also believe that coaching and play calling can also factor into a QB holding the ball too long. Not utilizing a players strengths and minimizing their weaknesses to help be successul.

Fields has plenty of the blame but he has showed improvement and he has elite NFL skills that can be maximized if an offense is designed to help utilize them. He still has a ways to go if he is ever going to have a long NFL career but he has tools that can get him there and he has improved since Oct 2022 with another year and half of NFL experience.

maybe if you read the article I sent you above
That article is from Oct of 2022.

Do you have any data to the contrary? Otherwise this seems like the best we have to work with.

I did my due diligence, if you have stats to prove otherwise let me know otherwise don't pick apart my effort.
I believe that he has improved since Oct 2022 and that his issues this year (which is what HSG was referencing) were more line related. All of the data you are referencing is old data and may not be applicable (or as applicable). I also believe that coaching and play calling can also factor into a QB holding the ball too long. Not utilizing a players strengths and minimizing their weaknesses to help be successul.

Fields has plenty of the blame but he has showed improvement and he has elite NFL skills that can be maximized if an offense is designed to help utilize them. He still has a ways to go if he is ever going to have a long NFL career but he has tools that can get him there and he has improved since Oct 2022 with another year and half of NFL experience.
Well summed. I said much of the same, but when I said he had elite skills I was mocked. Weird.

He didn't laugh at me and instead treated me with respect. Either way, back to Justin Fields.

Seems like it's the Raiders or he holds the clipboard for a year. I think he's improve if he was backup in Indy, Buffalo, and Philadelphia based on the offense they run and the fact he wouldn't have fans calling for Fields to start.

I have spent more time researching this and watching Bears games than you.
I agree with you on Fields but I would point out this thread has a few other Bears fans who don't see it the same way as you and actually like Fields. No offense, but always hated this line of arguing, the "I watch every game" type of thing. It's not 1978, we all have access.

But again I agree with you on Fields and truly think it's hard for people on a fantasy message board to see him for what he is because he is a really good fantasy QB. This will sound mean spirited but I also believe most Bears fan's are overly high on him because most of them only know what a good QB looks like from afar. I can relate as a Steeler's fan who went almost 25 years without a franchise QB and was legit pumped about Kordell back in the day.

Contrary to the popular spin I failed to see any significant improvement last year, even after they got him DJ Moore. He mainly just fumbled less.When I knew it was over for him with the Bears was when Bagent got in. Bagent is not very good, and I can't quantify this with stats, but I just remember watching his games and thinking Fields was done as a Bear because the offense just looked like it was functioning in timing and rhtym it did not with Fields.

Contrary to the popular spin I failed to see any significant improvement last year, even after they got him DJ Moore. He mainly just fumbled less.When I knew it was over for him with the Bears was when Bagent got in. Bagent is not very good, and I can't quantify this with stats, but I just remember watching his games and thinking Fields was done as a Bear because the offense just looked like it was functioning in timing and rhtym it did not with Fields
He also threw fewer interceptions, and took fewer sacks.

Bagent came in against some pretty weak competition, and the Bears seemed to run the ball more.

I think the narrative that he improved was fair, but I can understand not believing he's a quality NFL QB. I think he has the potential to be one in a competently run team. I do not believe the Bears have been that during Fields tenure.

He had like .3 seconds to make a read.

Cmon.’
Advanced QB Statistics

Here's the link. Adjust the filter for pocket time. Justin Fields had the most (2.8 seconds) pocket time of ANY QB IN THE LEAGUE that played at least 50 snaps! The narrative that the Bears offensive line is somehow "atrocious" is just flat out false.

Contrary to the popular spin I failed to see any significant improvement last year, even after they got him DJ Moore. He mainly just fumbled less.When I knew it was over for him with the Bears was when Bagent got in. Bagent is not very good, and I can't quantify this with stats, but I just remember watching his games and thinking Fields was done as a Bear because the offense just looked like it was functioning in timing and rhtym it did not with Fields
He also threw fewer interceptions, and took fewer sacks.

Bagent came in against some pretty weak competition, and the Bears seemed to run the ball more.

I think the narrative that he improved was fair, but I can understand not believing he's a quality NFL QB. I think he has the potential to be one in a competently run team. I do not believe the Bears have been that during Fields tenure.
I think his only meaningful improvement was getting rid of the ball a little quicker which cut helped cut down on his massive issue with fumbles.

On a per throw basis he was no better IMO. Now to be fair when you are throwing more instead of running when you don't like the looks you are getting your efficiencey should decline but like to me any improvement he had as a passer was very minimal.

I think his only meaningful improvement was getting rid of the ball a little quicker which cut helped cut down on his massive issue with fumbles.
Since one knock on him was that he held the ball too long, that would seem to be a relevant improvement though.
On a per throw basis he was no better IMO. Now to be fair when you are throwing more instead of running when you don't like the looks you are getting your efficiencey should decline but like to me any improvement he had as a passer was very minimal.
It's fair, but there were also quite a few deep shots to Mooney & others that were dropped. Those don't necessarily show up on the stat sheet, but they certainly don't help his numbers.

There were times in the 3-4 games prior to injury that Fields looked very competent out there. Some nice touch throws, making checkdowns rather than taking off running at the 1st sign of pocket breaking down, and throwing the ball away rather than taking sacks.

Those, to me, are the signs of a QB that was improving. Pocket presence is difficult to teach - some QBs never develop it. Fields seemed to be getting it together. Again, it's a mile high observation that perhaps doesn't show in a year over year statistical comparison.

If the Bears do indeed draft Caleb 1.01 and make no significant improvements at WR2 or OL, I expect whatever potential he has to be ruined in Chicago as well.

Since one knock on him was that he held the ball too long, that would seem to be a relevant improvement though.
When you are still the worst in the league it's not enough growth IMO, not for the amount of starts he's had.

With all due respect I won't get into the other bevy of excuses that are being proffered for his performance as I disagree that the Bears did not put him in a good position for success last year.

With all due respect I won't get into the other bevy of excuses that are being proffered for his performance as I disagree that the Bears did not put him in a good position for success last year.
I believe they improved his situation, but the OL was trash.

It's largely his 1st 2 years in the league I believe the Bears set him up for failure.

Users who are viewing this thread