What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (2 Viewers)

Seahawks are probably out now too.

Bears should keep him at this point and let him battle it out during camp.
Anything less than a 2 and they should keep him, that's always been the case in my opinion. Use him as a rich man's Taysom Hill behind Caleb if you have to. There is zero reason to get rid of Fields just to do it.

I think Washington is dumb for giving away a useful QB on a 5th round rookie salary for 2 more years, for a minor pick swap.

Seahawks are probably out now too.

Bears should keep him at this point and let him battle it out during camp.
Anything less than a 2 and they should keep him, that's always been the case in my opinion. Use him as a rich man's Taysom Hill behind Caleb if you have to. There is zero reason to get rid of Fields just to do it.

I think Washington is dumb for giving away a useful QB on a 5th round rookie salary for 2 more years, for a minor pick swap.
I think it would be good to let Caleb sit until the bye. Start JF until then. If he is winning games let him keep starting.

I think it's better to let rookies sit and learn before being handed the keys.

Dallas might soon be in the market for a starter. Fields, Lance or Rush? This Dak sexual assault case starting to grow some legs. It's like the boy scout at camp trying to light a fire with some tinder and flint. He is working hard and there are some whisps of smoke.
Case is from 2017 and Dak has countersued, don't think there is anything to see here.
I hope you are right. More news came out today though. The accuser's attorneys sound confident and state the civil suit is imminent and criminal charges are possible. The police also stated they are investigating both claims. The attorneys can be held liable so knowing that seems a double down should mean at least in their eyes they have something. Maybe you are right, but I also thought there was nothing to the Dalvin Cook and Deshaun Watson cases when it first came out. My point is if you are a Cowboy's fan or Dak fan it is time to at least pay attention.

Dallas might soon be in the market for a starter. Fields, Lance or Rush? This Dak sexual assault case starting to grow some legs. It's like the boy scout at camp trying to light a fire with some tinder and flint. He is working hard and there are some whisps of smoke.
Case is from 2017 and Dak has countersued, don't think there is anything to see here.
I hope you are right. More news came out today though. The accuser's attorneys sound confident and state the civil suit is imminent and criminal charges are possible. The police also stated they are investigating both claims. The attorneys can be held liable so knowing that seems a double down should mean at least in their eyes they have something. Maybe you are right, but I also thought there was nothing to the Dalvin Cook and Deshaun Watson cases when it first came out. My point is if you are a Cowboy's fan or Dak fan it is time to at least pay attention.
Yes and I know all about it, I live in the area and can tell you it's been reported on all the outlets but it's not exactly a buzzy story that's getting much play around here. No one credible is thinking what you are suggesting, that his would take him off the field.

As far I know nothing did come from Dalvin Cooks situation and Watson was a serial sex offender.

ETA-whether something did spring out of this or not I just don't think you can take one isolated accusation from 7 years ago and run with it like it spells trouble for Dak. Nothing has remotely risen to that kind of alarm IMO.

Last edited:
It could be that the rest of the NFL thinks he sucks and unwilling to give anything more than a 3-4th round pick. Supply/Demand hurting his value as well.
Yeah, maybe start believing the rest of the NFL, when the rest of the NFL isn't interested.

If I am the owner, I tell my coaches, Fields and Caleb that Fields is staying, for now. I am not trying to hear that it's some impossible situation. Hey, coaches, work it out. Hey Fields, you wanna play? Beat out Caleb. Come in and compete, and if we can trade you, we will. Otherwise, you'll be free next year.

They might be forced to keep him, and maybe he's helpful down the road.
Don't think they want to keep him and not because they are concerned about Fields psyche or ability to handle it, and fwiw I personally think he'd handle it just fine. Everything they will be doing going forward is to put Caleb in the best possible situation.

We know Fields is popular with a lot of his teammates and segments of the fan base. I don't think they will find a potentially divided locker room and/or fan base the right kind of environment for Caleb to start his career and that's why they'd rather move him.

I'm sure someone will pipe in with "well if Caleb can't handle it then he's not the right man to go 1.1". Ok, maybe so, but even people with that take should understand when if you make an investment in him like they will likely do you want to do everything you can do to put him in the best possible situation and I find it hard to think they think keeping Fields would be that.

Yes and I know all about it, I live in the area and can tell you it's been reported on all the outlets but it's not exactly a buzzy story that's getting much play around here. No one credible is thinking what you are suggesting, that his would take him off the field.

As far I know nothing did come from Dalvin Cooks situation and Watson was a serial sex offender.

ETA-whether something did spring out of this or not I just don't think you can take one isolated accusation from 7 years ago and run with it like it spells trouble for Dak. Nothing has remotely risen to that kind of alarm IMO.
Watson technically is not guilty of anything at this point there were no criminal charges filed and he settled the civil suits. I'm not sure if he settled them all. I thought one woman did not settle but not sure. My suggestion is there is a story that appears to be heading to civil court at the very least unless settled. I for one hope there is nothing to it but in my opinion, it is foolish to think just because the folks in your area are not giving it much credit that people outside of your area won't. I also hope that if she is found to be making a false accusation she is punished accordingly. However, I'm not sure about the statute of limitations for sexual assault in Texas specifically I assume her attorneys do know. What I read on it seems a bit confusing. You could be right maybe there is nothing to see here but to say no one credible is thinking what I'm suggesting about the possibility of him being taken off the field is an odd comment. I'm pretty sure more than a few people who are CREDIBLE have thought about the story and the multiple directions it could go. 100 million seems odd which is why I gave it no credit. The immediate response from the accuser's attorneys to Dak's suit and the language being used by her attorneys suggests they are not shrinking away and that does give me some pause.

In Texas, the criminal statute of limitations for rape and other sexual assault offenses that involve a victim who is 18 or older is 10 years after the day the offense took place. The civil statute of limitations for sex crimes against adults is 5 years after the date the offense occurred.

However, there are exceptions.

For example, Texas doesn’t have a criminal statute of limitations for rape or aggravated rape cases where no suspect has been identified; nor is there a statute of limitations for rape cases that involve a serial rapist.

It could be that the rest of the NFL thinks he sucks and unwilling to give anything more than a 3-4th round pick. Supply/Demand hurting his value as well.
Yeah, maybe start believing the rest of the NFL, when the rest of the NFL isn't interested.

If I am the owner, I tell my coaches, Fields and Caleb that Fields is staying, for now. I am not trying to hear that it's some impossible situation. Hey, coaches, work it out. Hey Fields, you wanna play? Beat out Caleb. Come in and compete, and if we can trade you, we will. Otherwise, you'll be free next year.

They might be forced to keep him, and maybe he's helpful down the road.
Don't think they want to keep him and not because they are concerned about Fields psyche or ability to handle it, and fwiw I personally think he'd handle it just fine. Everything they will be doing going forward is to put Caleb in the best possible situation.

We know Fields is popular with a lot of his teammates and segments of the fan base. I don't think they will find a potentially divided locker room and/or fan base the right kind of environment for Caleb to start his career and that's why they'd rather move him.

I'm sure someone will pipe in with "well if Caleb can't handle it then he's not the right man to go 1.1". Ok, maybe so, but even people with that take should understand when if you make an investment in him like they will likely do you want to do everything you can do to put him in the best possible situation and I find it hard to think they think keeping Fields would be that.
At this point, the Bears are going to hold him till convinced not to or someone is going to get a steal. The Bears could get a 3rd round comp pick (I think) next season so trading him now for less than a third feels like a pretty big loss for the Bears on Fields. I think the market below Cousins and Baker is more the reason for Field's perception of value. I don't think the Bears agree and maybe they are digging in. I agree there is value to letting him go for less than your perceived value to not have the headache of Fields and your franchise QB in the same room but maybe Poles does not see it that way. It is getting interesting.

WAS got nothing in return. Moving up like 20 spots for two mid round picks. Pretty meaningless IMO. GM Peters has been trying to do right by the players. If he isn't going to use them, he's let them know and in this case moved him pretty much ASAP. He's being fair to the guys that were on the roster last year. I may not agree with their assessment of Howell. But it was good for Howell to move on if WAS had no plans for him.

CHI seems to be doing the opposite with Fields. Gonna string him out until Fields options run out. Players and their agent remember those things

WAS got nothing in return. Moving up like 20 spots for two mid round picks. Pretty meaningless IMO. GM Peters has been trying to do right by the players. If he isn't going to use them, he's let them know and in this case moved him pretty much ASAP. He's being fair to the guys that were on the roster last year. I may not agree with their assessment of Howell. But it was good for Howell to move on if WAS had no plans for him.

CHI seems to be doing the opposite with Fields. Gonna string him out until Fields options run out. Players and their agent remember those things
Not sure it's the Bear's fault. We do not have any information on what has been offered and or if the Bears have received offers. Or been offered realistic offers. If teams see him as a backup maybe Fields feels better waiting it out with the Bears. It could be what is best for Justin to wait it out at this point.

The Bears aren't keeping Fields and they aren't getting much for him either. The NFL told Poles clearly this week that Fields blows.

Not sure it's the Bear's fault. We do not have any information on what has been offered and or if the Bears have received offers. Or been offered realistic offers. If teams see him as a backup maybe Fields feels better waiting it out with the Bears. It could be what is best for Justin to wait it out at this point.
Oh it's definitely the Bears fault.

There's also arguably a real next "window" to move Fields which is either draft night or post draft.

Teams like the Vikings, Broncos, Raiders, etc. may miss on getting a QB and might then be willing to pay a premium for Fields.

The Bears aren't keeping Fields and they aren't getting much for him either. The NFL told Poles clearly this week that Fields blows.
I'm not sure that was the message. I think the message was teams were willing to take much cheaper bridge types or fallback players for other moves or till they figure out their QB situation. I can not see a world where Sam Darnold holds more value than Justin Fields. The same with Jacoby Brissett. The list can go on and on. Gardner Mishew is okay but nowhere the ceiling of Fields. I think the message was after Baker and Cousins there are levels of quarterbacks that fit a mold kind of like Baker last year. The Bucs paid him 4 million last year while they figured it out and Baker became their guy. That may or may not still work out. We will see what Baker does without Dave Canales. Joe Flacco came in and outperformed Deshaun Watson.

I think teams are seeing this and saying maybe we can get by till we figure it out before or during the draft and if that does not work out we hold water till next year or till we do. I think some GMs are saying you have to trade him and are buying low feeling the Bears are in a tough spot having to get rid of Fields so the continuity of the QB room in Chicago is in a good place if they draft Williams. I do not think the message is Fields blows. I also do not think this means some of these teams that took said bridge quarterbacks don't circle back after the draft.

Poles should hold and be patient. Fields may not like it but I think it's the right course of action.

Last edited:
As it became more likely that they would draft Williams, I thought for sure that they would move him for someone else's money problem.

He's still got 2 years on his rookie deal. You don't "have" to trade him this year if you feel like you're getting pennies on the dollar.

A terrific backup is a pretty valuable thing to have.
isn't it one year and then like 20 something mill for the 5th yr option?
He is 6 million this year and the 5th year option is around 22 million or in that ball park give or take.
Thanks for the info - I love Justin like a fat kid loves cake, but no way he gets 22M from me based on what he's done so far.

Fields is more valuable to Chicago than any other team right now. I'm happy to keep him if he has no market.
Definitely if the price is a mid round pick.
Look how many QB situations there have been lately where the backups have been luck to score 6 points.

Fields is more valuable to Chicago than any other team right now. I'm happy to keep him if he has no market.
Look how many QB situations there have been lately where the backups have been luck to score 6 points.
Isn’t it less about this and more about team dynamics?

Nothing can divide a team more quickly than a QB controversy. And there will be one if Fields is on the roster. DJ Moore and other players have already publicly stated they want Fields.

You need one leader at the QB position.

If they’re keeping him they should trade the pick. If they don’t and draft a QB they’re going to ruin that player too.

Nothing can divide a team more quickly than a QB controversy. And there will be one if Fields is on the roster. DJ Moore and other players have already publicly stated they want Fields.

If they’re keeping him they should trade the pick. If they don’t and draft a QB they’re going to ruin that player too.
No. It's a business decision. Nothing in Fields' demeanor has shown me that he'll be anything more than a professional if he ends up the #2 in Chicago. I'd also be very surprised if an incoming rookie (Caleb) is salty for not starting immediately. The players all know the reality of the business and the vast, vast majority will do what is asked of them without fuss. The fans/media, however, that's a whole other story...

Good point...regardless of who the personalities are there is always danger in this dynamic...even if Caleb and Field are best buddies there is always potential for factions to develop within the locker-room (never mind the potential for media distractions)...especially if whoever is starting is struggling...I would be very surprised if both of them are on the roster once the Bears make that #1 pick....my guess is Fields would already be traded if his value is what many thought it would be a while back.

Good point...regardless of who the personalities are there is always danger in this dynamic...even if Caleb and Field are best buddies there is always potential for factions to develop within the locker-room (never mind the potential for media distractions)...especially if whoever is starting is struggling...I would be very surprised if both of them are on the roster once the Bears make that #1 pick....my guess is Fields would already be traded if his value is what many thought it would be a while back.
I'm not sure what Field' true value is right now, but if they keep him and draft Williams and Williams is the starter, Fields value can only get worse, if that is possible.

I'm not sure what Field' true value is right now, but if they keep him and draft Williams and Williams is the starter, Fields value can only get worse, if that is possible.

Gotta believe it goes nowhere but down after the draft...their hope right now is a team like the Pats decides to trade down and if they pass on a QB in that scenario they would be interested in a deal for Fields.

Bagent - 5 games, 143 pass attempts. in one of the games he attempted just 14 passes.

Fields - 13 games, 370 pass attempts.

Honestly not sure how someone can have this disparity pointed out and keep arguing what you are arguing.

:coffee: I might be missing the point here.

Bagent 28.6 attempts per game
Fields 28.46 attempts per game.

Is the argument that the bears didn’t adjust their plays to fit the QB?

Right. Name Caleb the starter. Let’s say it doesn’t look great out of the gate. He’s missing throws to an open DJ Moore or Keenan Allen who blatantly shows their disdain on the sideline. It’s in the media. Put Fields in. Caleb isn’t ready.

Crowd is chanting “We Want Fields!”

You want to write a playbook on how to screw up your young franchise QB? Keeping your previous franchise incumbent QB is on page 1.

You want to write a playbook on how to screw up your young franchise QB? Keeping your previous franchise incumbent QB is on page 1.
Jordan Love and Aaron Rodgers disagree.
Hopefully Will Levis will too.
The bigger screw up is to start the rookie immediately, then bench him for mistakes.
Not even remotely close to being the same thing and you know it.
Ok, your earlier stance isn’t the complete picture.
keeping fields wouldn’t be a mistake. Starting Caleb just to bench him after mistakes could be a mistake. There’s nothing wrong with letting the Rookie learn before starting.

Gotta believe it goes nowhere but down after the draft...their hope right now is a team like the Pats decides to trade down and if they pass on a QB in that scenario they would be interested in a deal for Fields.
Can't imagine they can get more than a 4th for him now.

I wonder if CHI would go for NE's high 5th (pick 135) and other thrown in.

The bigger screw up is to start the rookie immediately, then bench him for mistakes.
keeping fields wouldn’t be a mistake. Starting Caleb just to bench him after mistakes could be a mistake. There’s nothing wrong with letting the Rookie learn before starting.
I can’t remember the last time a #1 overall QB didn’t start week 1, but if they’re keeping Fields they should make him the starter for the full season and have a different backup as well.

Caleb would be the third QB.

Hell, part of the argument in here FOR Fields is that they thrust him into the starting job too early.

Would the bears get a comp pick if he left next year?

I can’t remember the last time a #1 overall QB didn’t start week 1, but if they’re keeping Fields they should make him the starter for the full season and have a different backup as well.

Hell, part of the argument in here FOR Fields is that they thrust him into the starting job too early.
I’ll agree with this. Although I wouldn’t be against starting Caleb by Thanksgiving depending how things look.

My point was that Fields played in 13 games compared to 5, and so it’s apples to oranges to compare their stats. They also played against different opponents with varying degrees of defensive competence.

Also one of Bagent’s starts was a 14 pass attempt game. So using that as some sort of barometer of who took more sacks seems unwise, at best.

Simplifying/narrowing it to “attempts per game” is an ideal example of how one can use stats to skew any argument provided one cherry picks enough.

My point was that Fields played in 13 games compared to 5, and so it’s apples to oranges to compare their stats. They also played against different opponents with varying degrees of defensive competence.

Also one of Bagent’s starts was a 14 pass attempt game. So using that as some sort of barometer of who took more sacks seems unwise, at best.

Simplifying/narrowing it to “attempts per game” is an ideal example of how one can use stats to skew any argument provided one cherry picks enough.
Fair enough. From a glance it looks like Bagent played weaker defenses but nobody is arguing for him starting anywhere next year.

The surrounding talent in Chicago looks to be perhaps the biggest change I can recall for any team year to year (not including QB).

Would the bears get a comp pick if he left next year?

I’ll agree with this. Although I wouldn’t be against starting Caleb by Thanksgiving depending how things look.
If they don’t like Fields’ value now they need to let him play and rebuild said value so they can get a quality comp pick if he plays well.

Doubt he’ll sign much of a deal if he’s a backup for 2024 and therefore won’t net much of a pick as the Bears are likely to be big spenders in free agency.

It was Baker Mayfield in 2018. And plenty of others in the 2000 era.

I'd argue that qbs who sit to start their career go on to have better careers.

It just makes sense at this point to keep and start JF. Bring Caleb in when JF plays poorly.

Bears have waited too long to get a competent backup/mentor should they trade JF.

The surrounding talent in Chicago looks to be perhaps the biggest change I can recall for any team year to year (not including QB).
Play calling was maddening, as has been pointed out by many here. The interior of the OL was a sieve, and Mooney dropped way too many deep balls.

I saw a lot of improvement in Fields patience this year - he made more check downs and more touch throws than I’d seen in the past.

Being the scapegoat for a badly run team is his legacy in Chicago though. Hopefully he is able to shake that off starting somewhere else.

It just makes sense at this point to keep and start JF. Bring Caleb in when JF plays poorly.

Bears have waited too long to get a competent backup/mentor should they trade JF.
As a Bears’ fan don’t you want to win? Why would you start an inferior player at the most important position?

They have two top 10 picks and a ready to win roster.

I wouldn’t waste a year screwing around, but that’s just me.

1. Deal with WAS
2. MH2
3. Elite defensive talent at 10
4. Spend the plethora of picks from WAS to improve around Fields
5. Win

IMO this remains their best path. Drafting Caleb is rolling the dice & starting over. And if they miss, it’s gonna be a long, long rebuild.

As a Bears’ fan don’t you want to win? Why would you start an inferior player at the most important position?

They have two top 10 picks and a ready to win roster.

Because I don't think Caleb Williams is ready to start in the NFL week 1 and JF gives the Bears a better chance to win early in the season.

Users who are viewing this thread