What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (2 Viewers)

At the BOS, I was projecting 3400 yds passing, 30 TDs, 900 yds rushing, and 6 rushing TDs.  Funny how his current pace isn't that much lower than what I projected, but it feels like Jackson has been a bust so far.
He has been (a bust), if comparing him to himself from 2019. If last year never happened he's doing fine for a streaming FA option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teddy is QB15 & Lamar is QB11 in the league I own him in as of today. Nothing amazing enough to say he rules
No, but nothing that would make me "feel better" about starting the other guy who isn't even doing better and selling low on one of last year's most valuable dynasty assets.  

No, but nothing that would make me "feel better" about starting the other guy who isn't even doing better and selling low on one of last year's most valuable dynasty assets.  
Bridgewater has outscored Lamar three weeks in a row.  Lamar is not trending up, and the fact that his passing numbers are putrid (last in the league in passing yards among QB's who have started every game this season) as his rushing numbers come down has to be concerning. 

Ghost Rider said:
Bridgewater has outscored Lamar three weeks in a row.  Lamar is not trending up, and the fact that his passing numbers are putrid (last in the league in passing yards among QB's who have started every game this season) as his rushing numbers come down has to be concerning. 
It's a dynasty league.  Who bails on a guy after a few down games? (in what is guaranteed to be a "down season" after last year)

And even if you were DEAD SET on trading him, why would you consider it NOW when he's in the midst of a slump?  To get that studTeddy in there?  Sure he's outscored Lamar the last 3 weeks, 2 and 3 by about a point each and then a lot last week.  So basically last week.  It's a massive overreaction to even be having this conversation (even if the trend continues).  

I'd love to see the deals going down involving him.  

It's a dynasty league.  Who bails on a guy after a few down games? (in what is guaranteed to be a "down season" after last year)

And even if you were DEAD SET on trading him, why would you consider it NOW when he's in the midst of a slump?  To get that studTeddy in there?  Sure he's outscored Lamar the last 3 weeks, 2 and 3 by about a point each and then a lot last week.  So basically last week.  It's a massive overreaction to even be having this conversation (even if the trend continues).  

I'd love to see the deals going down involving him.  
To clarify, I personally would not trade Lamar right now if I owned him in a dynasty league.  I am just saying, the fact that he is not improving as a passer is a bit of a concern.  After last year's incredible season, I think many assumed his rushing would come down to earth a little bit and his passing numbers would rise, but the latter is not happening so far.  Of course, it is just five games so far, and there is a lot of season still to go. 

cockroach said:
He's scoring more than Teddy B to date (in my league) and is coming off two of the worst games of his career.   You can panic sell if you want, but I don't see the logic.  

Let us know what you get, I guess.  
Depends on your scoring system of course, but in our league Jackson is currently QB18 in avg pts/game.

Lamar Jackson completed 16-of-27 attempts for 186 yards and a touchdown in the Ravens' 30-28 Week 6 win over the Eagles, adding nine rushes for 108 yards and a touchdown. 

Jackson's Week 6 rushing output should be a relief for fantasy managers who have watched the quarterback average a career low 8.2 rushing attempts per game this season. Jackson masterfully manipulated the Philadelphia defense with ball fakes and option plays, creating massive running lanes that led to a couple long runs, including a 37-yard touchdown scamper. Baltimore's passing attack continued to struggle this week as Jackson has little time to operate in the pocket. He won't be fantasy's QB11 for very long. Jackson should remain in all fantasy lineups in Week 7 against the Steelers. 

Oct 18, 2020, 4:40 PM ET

PREVIOUSNEXT

I know it depends on rosters and such, but what are some realistic RB options to trade Lamar for? Apologies if this isn't the right spot for this but I thought since it's more general, it would work.

I want to trade for Lamar! Mainly because my team stinks and I’m desperate for some ember to kickstart it.

Not even sure it’s a good move.

Lamar Jackson went 13-for-26 for 208 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in the Ravens' Week 8 loss to the Steelers, adding 16 rushes for 65 yards. 

Jackson had a jaw-dropping interception for a touchdown on the game's first drive and a poorly thrown lob for a pick a few drives later. Baltimore's passing game -- which ran through Willie Snead this week -- continued to look completely out of sync. Jackson had a long, circuitous run for a touchdown taken off the board thanks to a devastating holding call. His 16 rushing attempts tied a season high, and served as good news for fantasy managers trying to stay patient with Jackson. The Ravens ran the ball 47 times against Pittsburgh, only throwing when they absolutely had to in the second half. A continuation of that offensive approach could mean lean times for Mark Andrews and Marquise Brown. Things won't get any easier for Jackson next week against a solid Colts defense.

- Rotoworld

Not only is he my starter, but I’m worried about the value of his rookie cards that’s dropping. Unfortunately I bought a few this year. 

Offensive Player Rankings, Week 9: What's behind Lamar Jackson's struggles?

Excerpt:

Lamar Jackson's struggles this season could be a sign of history repeating itself. Let me refresh your memory as I make this comparison ...

Almost a decade before taking over the Baltimore Ravens' offense in 2019, Greg Roman was developing Colin Kaepernick -- then a raw but extremely athletic passer -- with the San Francisco 49ers in his first stint as an NFL offensive coordinator. Halfway through his second season, Kaepernick replaced Alex Smith as the team's QB1 and dazzled with his extraordinary dual-threat ability, shredding defenses in a system that featured run-pass options and designed runs.

Sound familiar?

Roman has done similar work with Jackson in Baltimore over the last couple years by utilizing the QB's video-game-like rushing ability to make him one of the most dangerous weapons in the game despite his limitations as a passer. Both Kaepernick and Jackson took the league by storm under Roman, with Kaepernick helping lead the 49ers to an NFC title in his second season and Jackson winning the MVP award in Year 2.

However, after nearly winning a championship, the 49ers started to alter their offense and turned Kaepernick into more of a dropback passer as a means of protecting him from big hits. With a guy as dynamic as Kap, I understand why a franchise would want to shield him from wear and tear, but by limiting him from fully utilizing his greatest asset, a decline in production seemed likely to follow. Sure enough, Kaepernick's passer rating and average yards per pass attempt decreased in each of the two seasons that followed his peak 2012 campaign. Roman left San Francisco after the 2014 season and Kaepernick lost the starting job a couple years later.

A look at Jackson's production in 2020 has me wondering if the Ravens are falling into the same trap. It sure feels that way. In the Ravens' Divisional Round loss last season, Tennessee built a lead and took Baltimore out of its game, forcing Jackson to throw a career-high 59 times. This season, with the Ravens focused on trying to avoid a repeat of the same fate, Jackson's completion percentage is down nearly three points from where it was at this time last year and he's not being utilized as a runner at the same rate:

Through seven games in 2019: 83 att., 576 yds, 3 TDs, 6.9 rush ypc, 82.3 rush ypg

Through seven games in 2020: 66 att., 411 yds, 2 TDs, 6.2 rush ypc, 58.7 rush ypg

Now, Baltimore's offensive line has taken its lumps, losing eight-time Pro Bowl guard Marshal Yanda to retirement in the offseason and All-Pro left tackle Ronnie Stanley to a season-ending ankle injury on Sunday. But Roman must dial up creative play-calling to help Jackson be more effective as a runner. The reigning MVP strikes fear into defenders as a ball-carrier in space but we haven't seen the wide array of explosive plays we did a season ago. Jackson has averaged fewer than 5.0 yards per carry in three of the Ravens' seven games this season after having three such games in all of 2019.

In addition, Jackson's turnovers have hampered the Ravens this season, especially against the Steelers on Sunday. After turning the ball over just eight times in his MVP season, Jackson already has seven giveaways in 2020. He looked far from his usual form on Sunday, throwing a pair of picks and fumbling the ball three times (losing two). His most glaring error was the throw directly to Pittsburgh linebacker Robert Spillane that turned into a Steelers' pick-six on the Ravens' opening drive. With the Steelers in a base defense, Jackson went through his progressions before coming back to his first option and threw the ball late. That kind of poor decision-making in the pocket can't happen.

I certainly understand why Roman would be making a greater effort to protect Jackson from hits and help him improve as a passer, but I believe the way to do the latter is to keep Jackson comfortable with designed runs, RPOs, screens, bootlegs, etc. The Ravens need their QB1 to get back to his MVP form if they want to hang with the top dogs in the AFC. It's a fine line Roman walks as the offensive coordinator, but right now, he's falling on the wrong side of it.

There have been plenty of players recently who didn't have any trouble with the Madden curse.  Mahomes Super Bowl MVP, Brady league MVP,  Calvin Johnson most receiving yards ever in a season.
Also: 6-2, 12 TD, 4 INT and a 95.1 passer rating to go with almost 500 yards rushing halfway through the season ain't exactly "cursed". And the two losses are to teams which are a combined 16-1. 

https://twitter.com/jonas_shaffer/status/1326606382532096005

Jonas Shaffer @jonas_shaffer

Lamar Jackson tells the @RichEisenShow that defenses sometimes “are calling out our plays, stuff like that. They know what we’re doing.” The optics on this: not great.
Ravens QB Lamar Jackson said opposing defenses are "calling out our plays."

Seems bad. Several 2020 opponents — including the Colts last week — have looked like they knew many of Baltimore's offensive plays before the snap. It's put Jackson in an unenviable position, having to dodge oncoming rushers to make something out of nothing time and again. The Ravens' passing attack has stalled out throughout the season's first nine weeks, with Jackson posting an average net yards per attempt of 6.2, nearly two yards less than his 2019 ANY/A. Baltimore offensive coordinator Greg Roman saw his offense become similarly predictable as the 49ers' offensive coordinator in 2013, one year after wrecking defenses with Colin Kaepernick and the team's devastating running attack. Jackson remains an every-week fantasy starter but the gaudy stat lines of 2019 have been absent through the season's first two months.

Rotoworld's Warren Sharp: Sunday Night Football: Deep Dive

The Baltimore Ravens’ offense looks like a shell of their former offense, but that is because of a number of factors.

First, and most interesting to hypothesize about, is Lamar coming out this week in the media and admitting that defenses know what is coming this year, and going as far as to admit that the defense is calling out their plays ahead of the snap.

Clearly that’s a major problem.  

With the rules changes that are so offensive friendly, the ONLY time the offense shouldn’t have an advantage on a given play is if they are too predictable.

You cannot allow yourself as an offense to be predictable.

If the Ravens are being too predictable based on personnel grouping, formation, down or distance, it’s something that needs changed, and changed ASAP.

Another issue is their step back in allowing Lamar to pass on first down.  After allowing him to pass more in 2019 than 2018, I assumed a natural progression would occur in 2020.

His performance on these first down passes has improved.  But the team isn’t taking advantage of it enough.

In the first half of games, Lamar is averaging 9.2 YPA, 60% success and +0.30 EPA/att on first down passes

No team is averaging more EPA/att on first down passes in the first half than Lamar.

But he only has 47 attempts.

Baltimore is the most run-heavy team on first downs in the NFL.

These runs average just 3.9 YPC, 45% success and -0.03 EPA/att

Just 33% of Lamar’s attempts come on first downs

That ranks 31st of 32 teams in the NFL

Last week against the Colts, Baltimore ran 17 times on 1st down and averaged 2.5 YPC.  They passed 10 times and averaged 8.1 YPA and 70% success.

They are passing LESS on first down than they did in 2019 even though Lamar is MUCH better on these passes:

In 2019, they averaged just 6.9 YPA, 52% success and +0.06 EPA on these first down passes

He’s doing much better this year.

And their first down runs are doing much worse:

First down run success this year:

2020:  3.6 YPC, 47% success
2019:  6.0 YPC, 60% success

But I do still have confidence in the Ravens and their offense.  Look at their recent schedule.

They’ve played 2 straight games against top-3 defenses:  Colts and Steelers.

They’ve played 5 of their last 6 games against top-13 defenses.

The rest of the season, they will face the NFL’s easiest schedule of defenses.

They play just one game against a top-17 defense.

They play 3 games against bottom-5 defenses.

And the first is this week, against the Patriots.

The Patriots Defense ranks 31st in the NFL.  They rank 30th against the pass and 31st against the run.

That run ranking is even worse because they have played the 9th easiest schedule of opposing run offenses.

In 6 of 8 games this season, the Patriots have played run offense that rank 19th or worse.

Only twice did they play run offenses in the top-10, and they lost badly to the 49ers in Week 7 and lost to the Seahawks in Week 2.

There is no doubt the Ravens, who still have the NFL’s #1 ranked run offense, even though it’s not as strong as it was in 2019, should see success here.

After playing top-10 run defenses for three straight weeks, facing the NFL’s second worst will be a welcomed sight.

In the only meeting against Lamar Jackson, the Patriots lost 37-20, as the Ravens marched out to a commanding 17-0 lead.

Lamar Jackson completed 24-of-34 passes for 249 yards with two touchdowns and an interception in the Ravens' Week 10 loss to the Patriots.

Jackson was also Baltimore's leading rusher with 55 yards on 11 carries. Both of his touchdowns were to Willie Snead, with one of them coming on a Jet Sweep. The yards were Jackson's most since Week 1, a testament to how much the Ravens' pass offense has struggled. Jackson has regressed across the board despite an improved support cast. The Titans — who have allowed the second most passing touchdowns — are a favorable Week 11 matchup for Jackson.

Nov 15, 2020, 11:29 PM ET

The regression on Lamar this year is pretty remarkable. Some was obviously expected, but he just looks terrible out there right now. He was throwing up hospital balls to his WRs all night.

this was the most obvious storyline of the season.

it's like im watching RG3 again, minus the career destroying playoff coaching stupidity

When we speculating his return? I traded him for Wason early season and figured the saving grace was his playoff schedule. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Lamar Jackson tested positive for COVID-19.

The Ravens game on Thanksgiving was postponed to Sunday because of an on-going outbreak that hasn't been contained yet. Jackson joins more than 10 other Baltimore players and staff members on the COVID-19 list, meaning he'll miss Week 12 and possibly beyond. It's the last thing the Ravens need going into a near must-win game against the Steelers. Robert Griffin will be the starter with Tyler Huntley backing him up. Trace McSorley is on injured reserve.

ESPN's Jamison Hensley reports the Ravens believe Lamar Jackson contracted COVID-19 during the team's Week 11 loss to the Titans.  

Jackson took snaps from C Patrick Mekari, who has also tested positive. Jackson's game day locker is "close" to COVID positive J.K. Dobbins and Mark Ingram. Catching the virus during the game would be quite the development, as that is not something that has been documented during any American sporting event this year. Wherever Jackson contracted the virus, he is out for Week 12 against the Steelers — if it's played — and quite likely Week 13 vs. Dallas. That will depend when that game, originally scheduled for next Thursday, is played. 

- Jamison Hensley

Lamar Jackson (COVID-19) has a chance to come off the reserve/COVID list in time to play Week 13's game against Dallas. 

Jackson, who tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday, will miss this week's game -- now slated for Tuesday night -- against Pittsburgh. Baltimore's Week 13 game against the Cowboys being bumped to Monday, December 7 will give Jackson a shot to suit up for a great late-season matchup. Otherwise, Robert Griffin III is looking at at least two starts for the Ravens. 

RELATED: 

Robert Griffin III

, Dallas Cowboys

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Nov 27, 2020, 3:35 PM ET

Ravens head coach John Harbaugh wouldn't say whether Lamar Jackson (COVID-19) will be available for Week 13 against Dallas. 

The Ravens' offense was a total disaster with Jackson sidelined in Week 12 against the Steelers. The team's Week 13 game being bumped to Monday give Jackson a chance to play in a mouth watering matchup against the Cowboys. Robert Griffin III, if he's recovered from the hamstring injury that knocked him out of Wednesday's game against Pittsburgh, could get a second start if Jackson is held out. Trace McSorley -- who's probably better for Baltimore's pass catchers -- would get the start if RGIII is unavailable. He would be a desperation superflex option. 

RELATED: 

Trace McSorley

, Robert Griffin III

SOURCE: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter 

Dec 3, 2020, 2:45 PM ET

Really tricky because he may not play even off the COVID-19 list. Luckily I clinched a spot last week so as a Lamar owner I could technically wait it out, but it's tough for people who need that game to make the playoffs. I could grab Cousins off the wire but with FAAB money so precious dunno if it makes sense.

I'm in that boat where I need the win, so don't think I can risk waiting on him as if he doesn't play I'm stuck between McSorley or Dalton.  Currently have Goff in my lineup and if there's no "Lamar is starting news" before the Rams kickoff then I'm leaving him in there.

I'm in that boat where I need the win, so don't think I can risk waiting on him as if he doesn't play I'm stuck between McSorley or Dalton.  Currently have Goff in my lineup and if there's no "Lamar is starting news" before the Rams kickoff then I'm leaving him in there.
I’m in the same boat. Have Rivers in the lineup for a must win. SMH. 

Per Adam Shefter:

Ravens' QB Lamar Jackson is expected to come off Reserve/COVID19 list and start Tuesday vs. the Dallas Cowboys, per sources.

9:09 AM · Dec 6, 2020·Twitter Web App
I just heard Shefter state this and he also mentioned a couple Raven players coming off Covid too, didn't he? Wondering about Jackson's weapons. Is Andrews definitely out? Hollywood perhaps a big game. I've started WR's against Dallas all year and each one comes up gold.

I just heard Shefter state this and he also mentioned a couple Raven players coming off Covid too, didn't he? Wondering about Jackson's weapons. Is Andrews definitely out? Hollywood perhaps a big game. I've started WR's against Dallas all year and each one comes up gold.
I did not hear it, just saw the tweet. It'd be great to know if I am starting Andrews or Kyle Rudolph.

Users who are viewing this thread