What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Michael Penix Jr., ATL (1 Viewer)

If you have Cousins, do you have your QB of the future? No.
If you draft Penix, do you close your window to win for a few years, which is why you signed Cousins in the first place? Yes
They have closed their window, because their 1st round pick won't help them win this year. Is that your thesis?

Does that seem like a rational thought to you?
The more germane question is "How does Penix help ATL win a Super Bowl while Kirk Cousins is their starting QB?"
I can't believe I am here defending the Atlanta pick but unpredictable stuff happens in the NFL all the time. Nick Foles won a super bowl when Philly's franchise QB Carson Wentz got injured. How about when rookie Russel Wilson usurping Matt Flynn even after he signed a relatively huge contract. Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady. Doug Williams and Jay Schroeder.

Kirk should have voiced nothing but support for the pick. Entitlement is not a good look IMO.
unpredictable, absolutely. but in your examples, foles was a FA backup, wilson was a 3rd rounder, brady a 6th. spending the 8th overall pick and blowing 2-3 years of rookie scale seems odd to me. atlanta could’ve gone odunze, then looked at a qb next year (4 have potential 1st round grades) or heck, the year after. rodgers was 24th overall for reference. the logic of signing cousins and then drafting his replacement before he has played a snap shukes me.
Do you think that the rookie pay scale deflates or inflates rookie QB value? I would say it inflates their value. It doesn't set you back as far and encourages you to gamble. Do you think Rodgers would fall to 24 in 2024?

You are not getting a competent QB to sign for a rookie type deal. Gardner Minshew signed a 2 year , $25 M contract. You are getting Penix on a 4 year deal for $22 M or thereabouts.

I feel worse about this pick a few days out. It's now the "worst draft pick of my life time."
SF drafting Trey Lance have entered the chat.

NYJ say hold my beer and push SF out of the way and say we got Wilson!

LV Raiders pull up in their fancy new car and say what about Henry Ruggs.

Anyways... you can't evaluate this pick yet....

If you have Cousins, do you have your QB of the future? No.
If you draft Penix, do you close your window to win for a few years, which is why you signed Cousins in the first place? Yes
They have closed their window, because their 1st round pick won't help them win this year. Is that your thesis?

Does that seem like a rational thought to you?
The more germane question is "How does Penix help ATL win a Super Bowl while Kirk Cousins is their starting QB?"
I can't believe I am here defending the Atlanta pick but unpredictable stuff happens in the NFL all the time. Nick Foles won a super bowl when Philly's franchise QB Carson Wentz got injured. How about when rookie Russel Wilson usurping Matt Flynn even after he signed a relatively huge contract. Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady. Doug Williams and Jay Schroeder.

Kirk should have voiced nothing but support for the pick. Entitlement is not a good look IMO.
unpredictable, absolutely. but in your examples, foles was a FA backup, wilson was a 3rd rounder, brady a 6th. spending the 8th overall pick and blowing 2-3 years of rookie scale seems odd to me. atlanta could’ve gone odunze, then looked at a qb next year (4 have potential 1st round grades) or heck, the year after. rodgers was 24th overall for reference. the logic of signing cousins and then drafting his replacement before he has played a snap shukes me.
Do you think that the rookie pay scale deflates or inflates rookie QB value? I would say it inflates their value. It doesn't set you back as far and encourages you to gamble. Do you think Rodgers would fall to 24 in 2024?

You are not getting a competent QB to sign for a rookie type deal. Gardner Minshew signed a 2 year , $25 M contract. You are getting Penix on a 4 year deal for $22 M or thereabouts.
Well said. 3 teams (Saints, Seahawks and LV) were trying to trade up ahead of the Broncos (top 10) and all of them currently had starting QBs they paid money too. Debate if they are good or not but all these teams had the same idea. They need a longer term plan at QB and knew the Broncos were going to take a QB.

I feel worse about this pick a few days out. It's now the "worst draft pick of my life time."

None of them are worse.

You can't have two big dollar QB's on the same team for multiple years. Especially if you have SB aspirations. And he's older with an injury history, not that it even matters. This also really hurts the cap obviously. That draft capital had big value, whether it be a trade back for the future, or a STARTER for the twenty two now. There is no argument in favor that makes ANY sense, and that also doesn't have a better COUNTER argument against. Terrible.

I half expected Cousins to make a Magic-esq retirement announcement out of the blue after this pick. That's about the only thing that would make any sense at this point. Cousins medical forcing his retirement. Doesn't look that way after his post draft reaction.

Opportunity cost is real.

Last edited:

You can evaluate the process.

None of them are worse.

You can't have two big dollar QB's on the same team for multiple years. Especially if you have SB aspirations. And he's older with an injury history, not that it even matters. This also really hurts the cap obviously. That draft capital had big value, whether it be a trade back for the future, or a STARTER for the twenty two now. There is no argument in favor that makes ANY sense, and that also doesn't have a better COUNTER argument against. Terrible.

I half expected Cousins to make a Magic-esq retirement announcement out of the blue after this pick. That's about the only thing that would make any sense at this point. Cousins medical forcing his retirement. Doesn't look that way after his post draft reaction.

I must have missed it - who is the second big QB contract for ATL right now?

As for what makes sense I explained it but you don't like it. That is fair but I explained the process. Trading back was an option but then they don't get a QB.

Hey, I was surprised ATL took a QB but I can understand why they took him if they felt they really needed a QB to take over for Cousins. Moreover it sounded like at least 4 teams wanted in on Penix too and ATL didn't want to trade back.

If Penix ends up a bust then give'r all you want saying it was the worst pick ever. He's not a bust "yet". He might even turn out to be good...

For those that hate the pick and don't like Penix here is a question. Is he off your board 100%? Or would you take him at his current cost because right now he is a value where he is going in SF compared to past QBs drafted in the top 10.

Seems many talking heads have digested this pick and aren't as against it as they were at the start.

I feel the same way... Have we gotten SO used to rookie QBs having to start that anyone having to sit a year or two is now a 'blown pick"? This could be the absolute best thing for him if he takes time tofully heal, learn the league, gain experience from a good NFL qb who seems to be a great teammate...

I dunno... Cousins COULD give way as early as next season. At that point, does it really matter you're giving him his final guaranteed payment? it's the NFL, money doesnt actually matter... If the QB play next season is good (under penix) then it's basically like you're paying him the cash, and cousins the rookie money.

Not ideal. not perfect. But if you have yourself a good team and a starting QB, none of that really matters... And next april they're likely picking mid to mid/later in the draft anyways.
Just think if they drafted a difference maker that starts from day one. If they wanted Penix, then don’t sign Cousins and use that money on defense. It’s a horrible use of the cap.

I dont disagree w you, but I also see their point on it.

Maybe they WANT cousins for a year or two max and to teach and mold a QB they're in love with.

They aren't a SB team now but could be in 2-3yrs? Maybe that's the plan.
If Cousins is what they expected, they could be a SB contender this year. His play would elevate the young talent, and it’s a weak division. I see their angle also, but it seems like the same teams make the same foolish personnel decisions.

For those that hate the pick and don't like Penix here is a question. Is he off your board 100%? Or would you take him at his current cost because right now he is a value where he is going in SF compared to past QBs drafted in the top 10.
I like Penix, but he’s had injury issues. I thought he was drafted too high, no matter what team did it. A better pick for Atl would have been Rattler in the 3-4th round. Personally I would avoid injured players if possible, and certainly in the 1st round.

Seems many talking heads have digested this pick and aren't as against it as they were at the start.

I feel the same way... Have we gotten SO used to rookie QBs having to start that anyone having to sit a year or two is now a 'blown pick"? This could be the absolute best thing for him if he takes time tofully heal, learn the league, gain experience from a good NFL qb who seems to be a great teammate...

I dunno... Cousins COULD give way as early as next season. At that point, does it really matter you're giving him his final guaranteed payment? it's the NFL, money doesnt actually matter... If the QB play next season is good (under penix) then it's basically like you're paying him the cash, and cousins the rookie money.

Not ideal. not perfect. But if you have yourself a good team and a starting QB, none of that really matters... And next april they're likely picking mid to mid/later in the draft anyways.
Just think if they drafted a difference maker that starts from day one. If they wanted Penix, then don’t sign Cousins and use that money on defense. It’s a horrible use of the cap.

Maybe they WANT cousins for a year or two max and to teach and mold a QB they're in love with.

If Cousins is what they expected, they could be a SB contender this year. His play would elevate the young talent, and it’s a weak division. I see their angle also, but it seems like the same teams make the same foolish personnel decisions.
Atlanta is basically Minnesota with Kirk Cousins. They'll make the playoffs but there are too many good teams in the NFC now for them to make the Super bowl. I think their ceiling with Cousins is winning a playoff game.

Atlanta is basically Minnesota with Kirk Cousins. They'll make the playoffs but there are too many good teams in the NFC now for them to make the Super bowl. I think their ceiling with Cousins is winning a playoff game.
Probably right, but I thought the same about Stafford. It’s all about the situation, and Atlanta is a pretty good spot to land. It’s too hard in a cap league to pay big money to a FA qb, then pay 1st round money to another at the same time. Dead money sets you back.

Probably right, but I thought the same about Stafford. It’s all about the situation, and Atlanta is a pretty good spot to land. It’s too hard in a cap league to pay big money to a FA qb, then pay 1st round money to another at the same time. Dead money sets you back.
I like Cousins but Stafford when healthy is an elite championship QB. Cousins is very good just not elite. No doubt Atlanta is a good spot to land though. I just don't see Cousins elevating this team to a championship level.

The advantage of having a rookie QB is the cheap contract. If they loved Penix I don't know why they just didn't go all in on him and sign a cheap bridge QB.

I understand the concept. The execution is my issue—an older player with red-flag injury issues. I also do not like losing the value of a rookie contract for 2 years, but I understand the conceptual basis of the idea.

I like that Cousins has this image as this conservative Christian dad style veteran QB. However, when it comes to contact negotiations he is basically Bromm from game of thrones. A mecerany willing to work for the highest bidder. If he is questioning Atlanta loyalty to him, i think it is ironic.

I understand the concept. The execution is my issue—an older player with red-flag injury issues. I also do not like losing the value of a rookie contract for 2 years, but I understand the conceptual basis of the idea.
There is a lot of pressure on this pick. There is a lot that needs to happen for this to be justified. Penix could be a bust which would make this pick one of the worst in history. Even if Penix is an ok starter it would be bad unless the Falcons build a SF talent like squad.

I don't hate the pick. If things go their way, they'll have a 26-year-old player ready to contribute for the next 10 years (potentially). And after watching too many videos of previous drafts, it could all be for nothing, anyway. A lot of these guys are busts. The only thing they really risked is the unjustified optimism most teams feel after the draft. Everyone is excited about new toys until they find out they don't work. Atlanta is missing that part. Oh well.

None of them are worse.

Cousins is guaranteed $100M !!!!
The chance of him retiring and giving that up is almost as unlikely as the Falcons drafting Penix with the 8th pick in the draft

Cousins deal is two years, then we'll see, to quote Andrew Brandt. He has 35 mill in dead cap when he's 38 years old, in two years.

We just assuming every QB plays till 40 now? I'm not.

If Penix is the goods, it won't matter if two years of his rookie deal is "wasted"

Cousins deal is two years, then we'll see, to quote Andrew Brandt. He has 35 mill in dead cap when he's 38 years old, in two years.

If Penix is the goods, it won't matter if two years of his rookie deal is "wasted"
If Penix was the goods he probably wouldnt have lasted tilll the 8th pick
Dont forget Penix was on a loaded offense ... Great Oline and Great WRs and played 6 years of college football
He wasnt very good before being in that situation

Dont forget Penix was on a loaded offense ... Great Oline and Great WRs and played 6 years of college football
CJ Stroud threw to possibly the best group of WRs to ever come out of college. Was that good or bad? I'm lost on how to frame it. Do QBs that can make their WRs look good get credit or do they suck because their WRs made them look good?

OK serious thought now and I want everyone to consider this possibility. What if Penix can facilitate the offense (similar to Purdy in SF) and get the ball to his play makers. We know he can sling the ball (9000 yards and 65+ TDs in 2 years). We play this game of fantasy football and passing yards and TDs are good. Receiving yards and TDs are good. London and Pitts owners complained for years about no QB. Now they draft a guy that can chuck it. Is this not good? If the offense is better and a threat to take the top off the D does that not open up things for Bijan? Makes his life easier. The offense overall should score more TDs. I'm not even saying Penix has to be elite, he just has to do what he did in college and get the ball to his receivers. I think he can do that.

Everyone is so stuck on the fact he went pick 8. It's done, it happened and in the end ATL needed a long term plan at QB. We will see if that works out or not. I'm hoping it does because it means its good for fantasy.

Do you need a list of good QBs taken after pick 8? I think I can rustle one up
To take it one step further, there were other teams desperate for a QB (at least 3 others trying to trade up). It just came out that Minny offered their 2 first round picks and a 2025 first to move up to 3 overall.

The writing was on the wall since the college season that many QBs would come off in the first 12-15 picks. Teams like NO, SEA and LV were left hanging all who had to pick up the scraps (Rattler).

3 teams (Saints, Seahawks and LV) were trying to trade up ahead of the Broncos (top 10) and all of them currently had starting QBs they paid money too.
None of those teams is paying nearly as much to their "starting" QB's compared to what Atlanta is paying Cousins. That is the big difference.

I like Cousins but Stafford when healthy is an elite championship QB. Cousins is very good just not elite
I believe Cousins could have easily taken that same Rams team to a SB. I think Stafford and Cousins are very similar players just in different situations throughout their career. Neither are/were capable of bringing a team to a SB win by themselves.

Thought this was good from my guy Matt Waldman on the Penix pick.

I know everyone wanted to be outraged with "worst pick in NFL history" type takes. I don't see it. If he's their guy, go get him.

3 teams (Saints, Seahawks and LV) were trying to trade up ahead of the Broncos (top 10) and all of them currently had starting QBs they paid money too.
None of those teams is paying nearly as much to their "starting" QB's compared to what Atlanta is paying Cousins. That is the big difference.
Carr has cap hits of $51M (2025) and $61M (2026) and NO is in a world of hurt with their cap going forward. Didn't deter them.

Geno Smith has a cap hit of $26M in 2024 and $38.5M in 2025. Not as much but it is significant.

Blank has a lot of cash, I'm not sure he's that worried.

Teams wanted QBs in this draft and Penix was mocked top 15 (pre-Championship game). One game weighing to heavily on peoples minds. It didn't deter many NFL teams trying to acquire Penix.

I know everyone wanted to be outraged with "worst pick in NFL history" type takes. I don't see it. If he's their guy, go get him.
Waldman has been on Penix for a long time. I like his take. I think everyone should follow Matt - he provides some solid insight and analysis. One of the few true guys who digs in deep scouting these players.

Carr has cap hits of $51M (2025) and $61M (2026) and NO is in a world of hurt with their cap going forward. Didn't deter them.

Geno Smith has a cap hit of $26M in 2024 and $38.5M in 2025. Not as much but it is significant.
And these two guys weren't signed off the street right before this draft. Of course teams are looking to solidify their QB situation. As you can tell they didn't sign those guys then immediately go out and use a top 10 pick on rookie QB either. That is the difference here.

And these two guys weren't signed off the street right before this draft. Of course teams are looking to solidify their QB situation. As you can tell they didn't sign those guys then immediately go out and use a top 10 pick on rookie QB either. That is the difference here.
If Cousins plays a year or 2 and Penix can sit and learn behind a vet that isn't a bad thing either. It does a lot of QBs good to sit for a year or 2. Even the great Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith. Jordan Love sat behind Rodgers. Maybe teams are finally realizing rushing these QBs isn't the best. Give them time to absorb the playbook, work with the team/coaches/receivers and get up to speed with the NFL.

ATL having London, Pitts and Bijan is great for Penix. Let him sit and learn for a bit.

If Cousins plays a year or 2 and Penix can sit and learn behind a vet that isn't a bad thing either. It does a lot of QBs good to sit for a year or 2. Even the great Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith. Jordan Love sat behind Rodgers. Maybe teams are finally realizing rushing these QBs isn't the best. Give them time to absorb the playbook, work with the team/coaches/receivers and get up to speed with the NFL.

ATL having London, Pitts and Bijan is great for Penix. Let him sit and learn for a bit.
I never said getting a QB was a bad plan. The issue is using a top 10 pick when you spent $100M on a QB already. I think that is where everyone is in disbelief. All the backups you referenced were later picks and all were coming in behind QB's that were already established on the team. Very different circumstances.

I never said getting a QB was a bad plan. The issue is using a top 10 pick when you spent $100M on a QB already. I think that is where everyone is in disbelief. All the backups you referenced were later picks and all were coming in behind QB's that were already established on the team. Very different circumstances.
I admit it was a bit shocking. But then when I thought about it, it isn't as bad as people want to make it out to be. When they signed Cousins they didn't know who would be there with their pick. They did what they needed to do at the time. When their pick came around, Penix was the guy they had on their board and they ran with it.

The club has been struggling with QB for a while now and they really wanted to fix it, now and for long term. Cousins won't be there forever.

He played for Indiana. Nobody has been very good there. He made them competitive, which is a herculean task.

He made UW elite. UW went from firing its coach to the National Championship Game in 2 seasons with Penix.

Beautiful thing about words on a message board is we can clip and save them for eternity...

Colin Cowherd has devoted two opening segments this week defending this pick as well.

You don't win a Draft by trying to win a popularity contest on Draft Day. I like that the Falcons knew who they wanted and made sure they got him. Gutsy call. If it works out, they will be lauded as brilliant. If it bombs, some jobs will be lost.

For fantasy purposes, I love the destination for Penix. He should be afforded some time to adjust to the NFL game while learning from a veteran professional, much like Mahomes sat and learned from Alex Smith. The Atlanta offense is brimming with talent. You couldn't ask for a much better situation for Penix, honestly.

Cousins understandably hates the pick, but that is the business of the NFL.

I like Cousins but Stafford when healthy is an elite championship QB. Cousins is very good just not elite
I believe Cousins could have easily taken that same Rams team to a SB. I think Stafford and Cousins are very similar players just in different situations throughout their career. Neither are/were capable of bringing a team to a SB win by themselves.

Oh, I disagree. Just on arm talent alone, Stafford is one of the best the NFL has ever seen. Kirk is the very definition of "mid" in terms of arm strength.

We also have the unfortunate circumstance of Cousins' playoff record which is 1-4. Yikes.

They probably won't have all three of those guys by the time Penix plays

ATL knew they had pick 8 and Penix would likely be there for them to draft. I love the draft pick but don’t understand why ATL signed Cousins too. Seems like a big chunk of cap space for years that could have gone to other areas of need on the team. If Cousins plays poorly it was a waste of cap space. If a Cousins plays great, how do you sit him and start Do you wait for one year? Two? Three?

You don't win a Draft by trying to win a popularity contest on Draft Day. I like that the Falcons knew who they wanted and made sure they got him. Gutsy call. If it works out, they will be lauded as brilliant. If it bombs, some jobs will be lost.

For fantasy purposes, I love the destination for Penix. He should be afforded some time to adjust to the NFL game while learning from a veteran professional, much like Mahomes sat and learned from Alex Smith. The Atlanta offense is brimming with talent. You couldn't ask for a much better situation for Penix, honestly.

The last line is the issue (Cousins hating the pick)...while very surprised I do understand Atlanta's thinking ...I think you are going to see more and more teams beef up their QB room and the fact Cousins is getting up there in age and is coming off of a serious injury can't be taken lightly...the NFL is a QB league and if you don't have one you are in big trouble and Atlanta is trying to cover their butt in a worst-case scenario both short and long term...the issue (and I have heard a bunch of ex-players who know the actual dynamics of the NFL point this out...I heard a Brian Finneran interview and he was hammering this) with this move is they got Cousins to sign as a FA and did not give him a hint that using the #8 pick on a QB was a possibility...these ex-players believe it just isn't above board not to communicate something like this but it is a sign of disrespect to Cousins...they also feel it could end up being a dicey QB room as Cousins and Penix are being forced into this relationship and they both want to play and be a leader...take that for what it's worth but with a new HC who probably won't get another job if this one doesn't work out there is as much downside to this move as there is upside...gonna be very interesting to watch this unfold.

Last edited:
You don't win a Draft by trying to win a popularity contest on Draft Day
It was notable watching the Jeremiah's and Bucky Brooks' of the world try and see the possible reasoning, and then reading every draft content creator on Twitter with the most smug attitude, dunking on Atlanta.

We deserve better draft writers than we get. They didn't play ball, they didn't study journalism, they didn't work for an NFL team, they got a mic and a ring light, put their baseball cap on backwards, and behave like experts.

Donkeys, the lot of them.

The last line is the issue (Cousins hating the pick)...while very surprised I do understand Atlanta's thinking ...I think you are going to see more and more teams beef up their QB room and the fact Cousins is getting up there in age and is coming off of a serious injury can't be taken lightly...the NFL is a QB league and if you don't have one you are in big trouble and Atlanta is trying to cover their butt in a worst-case scenario both short and long term...the issue (and I have heard a bunch of ex-players who know the actual dynamics of the NFL point this out...I heard a Brian Finneran interview and he was hammering this) with this move is they got Cousins to sign as a FA and did not give him a hint that using the #8 pick on a QB was a possibility...these ex-players believe it just isn't above board not communicate something like this and it is a sign of disrespect to Cousins...they also feel it could end up being a dicey QB room as Cousins and Penix are being forced into this relationship and they both want to play and be a leader...take that for what it's worth but with a new HC who probably won't get another job if this one doesn't work out there is as much downside to this move as there is upside...gonna be very interesting to watch this unfold.
Beef up their QB room how? by drafting QB's in the first round when in lieu of other players when they already have a starter locked in for several years?

The last line is the issue (Cousins hating the pick)...while very surprised I do understand Atlanta's thinking ...I think you are going to see more and more teams beef up their QB room and the fact Cousins is getting up there in age and is coming off of a serious injury can't be taken lightly...the NFL is a QB league and if you don't have one you are in big trouble and Atlanta is trying to cover their butt in a worst-case scenario both short and long term...the issue (and I have heard a bunch of ex-players who know the actual dynamics of the NFL point this out...I heard a Brian Finneran interview and he was hammering this) with this move is they got Cousins to sign as a FA and did not give him a hint that using the #8 pick on a QB was a possibility...these ex-players believe it just isn't above board not communicate something like this and it is a sign of disrespect to Cousins...they also feel it could end up being a dicey QB room as Cousins and Penix are being forced into this relationship and they both want to play and be a leader...take that for what it's worth but with a new HC who probably won't get another job if this one doesn't work out there is as much downside to this move as there is upside...gonna be very interesting to watch this unfold.
Beef up their QB room how? by drafting QB's in the first round when in lieu of other players when they already have a starter locked in for several years?

I think you know how...it is pretty obvious...the question is did they need to commit that much of an asset and execute it correctly with Cousins to accomplish it.

They probably won't have all three of those guys by the time Penix plays

Oh, I disagree. Just on arm talent alone, Stafford is one of the best the NFL has ever seen. Kirk is the very definition of "mid" in terms of arm strength.

We also have the unfortunate circumstance of Cousins' playoff record which is 1-4. Yikes.

So much this. Matty saved not one but two franchises. Got dealt a bad hand fo sho but gotdam he got a ring and the Lions are relevant.. tell me about freakin Kirk Cousins again lol

I'm a huge Penix fan, but this is fine for Cousins.

He plays well he starts all season and probably next. Once 2025 ends, it's over and Penix takes the reigns (if not earlier).

It's a weird pick, absolutely, but I actually kinda like it. Allows Penix to recover from any ailments he may have, helps him learn and no rush/pressure.

Now, why they didnt tell Cousins, no idea
Because Cousins wouldn't have signed with them if he knew they would do this.

He isn't happy about it. He doesn't want a younger QB looking over his shoulder casting any doubt about Cousins being the starter. He cares about this more than money.

I'm a huge Penix fan, but this is fine for Cousins.

He plays well he starts all season and probably next. Once 2025 ends, it's over and Penix takes the reigns (if not earlier).

It's a weird pick, absolutely, but I actually kinda like it. Allows Penix to recover from any ailments he may have, helps him learn and no rush/pressure.

Now, why they didnt tell Cousins, no idea
Because Cousins wouldn't have signed with them if he knew they would do this.

He isn't happy about it. He doesn't want a younger QB looking over his shoulder casting any doubt about Cousins being the starter. He cares about this more than money.

he signed a while ago... why didnt they tell him before the draft? they knew they were tkaing penix, obviously.

he signed a while ago... why didnt they tell him before the draft? they knew they were tkaing penix, obviously.
I believe the Falcons went into the Draft with a plan to get Penix, but many things can happen on Draft Day. A team can leapfrog you and take your targeted player off the board, you can receive a trade offer you cannot refuse, or another player you did not expect to fall to you could be on the board. Why upset the apple cart unnecessarily? Moreover, a team must remain tight-lipped about their draft intentions.

ATL knew they had pick 8 and Penix would likely be there for them to draft. I love the draft pick but don’t understand why ATL signed Cousins too.
That right there is the issue. Pennix was going to be there at 8. They knew they were getting Pennix. Why tie up their cap with Cousins if that is your plan? They aren't similar QB's. You could get a cheaper bridge QB if that is what you wanted. You don't pay $100M if you are taking Pennix at 8.

Users who are viewing this thread