What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mike White, Miami Dolphins (1 Viewer)

Anyone keeping this guy?

It's going to depend a lot on what the Jets do this offseason. He is the clear starter based on the current roster, but it sounds like the Jets are going to try to bring someone in.
If I had to make a decision now I’d drop him. It’s a long shot he’s anything more than a backup QB, but if the Jets are left scrambling after QB Musical Chairs, he may get a shot.

The Athletic's Zack Rosenblatt writes to "keep an eye on the Rams" for Jets quarterback Mike White.​

White will hit free agency for the first time in 2023. Rosenblatt notes that it is "no secret" that new Rams OC Mike LaFleur preferred White as the starter over Zach Wilson last season in New York. White is expected to draw interest as a "high-end backup" per Rosenblatt, with the Jets likely looking elsewhere for a starting quarterback. It's possible that White could be a bridge starter elsewhere and get more playing time, but players do often follow the coaches that give them chances and Matthew Stafford is coming off a scary spinal contusion in a lost season.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Feb 2, 2023, 1:27 PM ET

I think every writer claiming their team could use White on their roster shows this guy is far better than his salary and is thought of in a higher light.
I would definitely sit on him for dynasty.

I think every writer claiming their team could use White on their roster shows this guy is far better than his salary and is thought of in a higher light.
He might be the only silver lining to the Zach Wilson saga - I acquired him due to Zach’s struggles.

If white starts anywhere next year, imma be so damn happy.

He might be the only silver lining to the Zach Wilson saga - I acquired him due to Zach’s struggles.

If white starts anywhere next year, imma be so damn happy.
Me to. I drafted Wilson.

this is interesting. so they're gonna keep Wilson as the #3 QB then, hmmm...:ponder:

thehuddle) Impending unrestricted free-agent QB Mike White (Jets) 'should be' on the roster again in 2023, according to head coach Robert Saleh.

this is interesting. so they're gonna keep Wilson as the #3 QB then, hmmm...:ponder:

thehuddle) Impending unrestricted free-agent QB Mike White (Jets) 'should be' on the roster again in 2023, according to head coach Robert Saleh.
Was really hoping LAR would pick up White.
Do you think White is starter material then? Seemed like a competent backup to me at best but my knowledge of football and eye for talent is shaky at best.

Do you think White is starter material then? Seemed like a competent backup to me at best but my knowledge of football and eye for talent is shaky at best.
I think it’s a mixed bag, and depends on supporting cast. But I do think he can play QB.

I have been impressed with him, but it’s a limited sample size.

Stafford’s neck worries me, so LAR seems like a good path to PT for White if he ends up there.

I would have liked to have seen the Jets give him a more extended look as a starter.

I was kinda under the impression once McVay came back, that they'd bring Mayfield back as the backup, as he seemed to really win over the locker room in his brief time starting.

I was kinda under the impression once McVay came back, that they'd bring Mayfield back as the backup, as he seemed to really win over the locker room in his brief time starting.
Maybe but I wouldn't think Mayfield would want to be a backup with no real shot at starting unless there's an injury, yeah Stafford maybe has health issues but if I'm Mayfield I want to at least compete for a job.

Maybe but I wouldn't think Mayfield would want to be a backup with no real shot at starting unless there's an injury, yeah Stafford maybe has health issues but if I'm Mayfield I want to at least compete for a job.
Mayfield is a UFA.

If the Jets get their veteran QB (Rodgers/Carr/Jimmy G) and they can't find some sucker to take Zach Wilson, I'd say there's little to no chance they are bringing back Mike White. He's going to look to get paid and the Jets can't sink cap space into a mediocre back-up QB when they're paying a big contract to their starter and paying a decent chunk (No. 2 pick) of money to Wilson as well.

This is a throw away comment from a HC - it's meaningless at this point.

If the Jets get their veteran QB (Rodgers/Carr/Jimmy G) and they can't find some sucker to take Zach Wilson, I'd say there's little to no chance they are bringing back Mike White. He's going to look to get paid and the Jets can't sink cap space into a mediocre back-up QB when they're paying a big contract to their starter and paying a decent chunk (No. 2 pick) of money to Wilson as well.

This is a throw away comment from a HC - it's meaningless at this point.
I agree unlikely they'll keep all 3. In which case they're lying about one of them. I think White is more likely to be the backup then Wilson. Wilson may have trade value, White is a FA so the incentive would be to lie about the player they have under contract. It could depend what kind of contract White is able to get from someone else. We'll see how it plays out though.

Dolphins signed QB Mike White, formerly of the Jets, to a two-year contract.​

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, the deal is worth "up to" $16 million. That means the actual cap figure will come in at far less than $16 million, though White can reach the larger number through incentives. The Dolphins were forced to turn to Teddy Bridgewater and eventually Skylar Thompson after Tua Tagovailoa went down last year. Neither player came close to replacing the production of Miami's starter. Dolphins GM Chris Grier mentioned some concerns around Tua's health at the combine, making an upgrade at backup quarterback inevitable. White showed a strong ability to execute a quick passing game and hit short to intermediate throws while in New York. He joins the Dolphins as a far safer insurance policy on their starter than they had in 2022.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 13, 2023, 2:08 PM ET

One of the best possible landing spots for him with an often injured quarterback, ahead of him. Part of me would’ve preferred the Rams with a more clear path to starting, but the weapons in Miami are far better.

Nice move for both Miami and White...they want Tua to be the answer but with his injury history and the fact they are built to win now they need a legit backup...they cover themselves while still being committed to Tua (at least for now).

I like this kid.
If somehow I can not wish ill will on Tua and a chance for him....
He showed flashes in a couple of games, looked bad in several others, and played hurt in some. Seems to have a good arm, but not good under pressure. There's a decent chance that Skylar wins the backup job.

I like this kid.
He showed flashes in a couple of games, looked bad in several others, and played hurt in some. Seems to have a good arm, but not good under pressure. There's a decent chance that Skylar wins the backup job.
I would be very surprised if Thompson were the backup over White. I doubt they go out and sign a QB on the first available day if they felt confident about that.

I like this kid.
I would be very surprised if Thompson were the backup over White. I doubt they go out and sign a QB on the first available day if they felt confident about that.

Agreed...you don't give decent $ to a 3rd stringer.

I like this kid.

Agreed...you don't give decent $ to a 3rd stringer.

technically they did, but they are calling him their 2nd stringer.

I like this kid.
Skylar is much cheaper, so he doesn't need to be better, just comparable. Skylar did better than the stats indicated - he faced Sauce and the Jets twice, and he nearly beat BUF but had several drops, especially the early long pass to Waddle, and several delay penalties that weren't his fault. White provides good competition for the backup job.

I like this kid.
Skylar is much cheaper, so he doesn't need to be better, just comparable. Skylar did better than the stats indicated - he faced Sauce and the Jets twice, and he nearly beat BUF but had several drops, especially the early long pass to Waddle, and several delay penalties that weren't his fault. White provides good competition for the backup job.
I don’t follow the logic here. Skylar is cheaper but they went out and spent more on White, so Slylar is the better bet to be the backup?

That they both paid White more, and went out and made him a priority FA signing indicates pretty strongly that he’s the QB2. Seems obvious that Miami didn’t like what they had in Skylar.

I like this kid.
not a chance.
There's a better chance of Thompson never starting another NFL game again than him beating out Mike White being paid $8MM a year.

Skylar, Teddy, and Tua all got hurt in 2022. Miami is in a win now mode, so a vet QB was needed. Skylar also was injury prone in college.

Training camp will determine who is the backup. Skylar was a phenom in camp and pre-season and had Miami leading in the playoff game @BUF in the 4th quarter despite multiple drops and maybe they win if McDaniel gets plays in quicker. Skylar has better mobility. Both must be near the bottom in QBR!

I like this kid.
I don’t follow the logic here. Skylar is cheaper but they went out and spent more on White, so Slylar is the better bet to be the backup?

That they both paid White more, and went out and made him a priority FA signing indicates pretty strongly that he’s the QB2. Seems obvious that Miami didn’t like what they had in Skylar.
Kinda makes me worried for Tua.

I like this kid.

I’ve been worried for Tua

I like this kid.

I’ve been worried for Tua
In all honesty how can you not? Hopefully his concussions are in the past but he already looks so fragile and then you need to worry about multiple head injuries building up.

Users who are viewing this thread