What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Howell, SEA (4 Viewers)

I'm fine with Ray Lewis maybe killing a guy, but this is a step too far
Ray Lewis didn't snitch is all. This happy meal eating shmo would have sung like a canary. Not to debate the ethics of informing on your friend for committing murder. I'm just saying is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're a total weirdo, you better be REALLY talented. 

I mean....if you've tried red meat and don't like it....so be it. Still odd, but whatever.

But a kid who grew up in north Carolina and has never even TRIED a cheeseburger (but will gladly house a plate of chicken nugs, so this isn't a moral thing...unless he's a Buddhist)....that's psycho stuff

Commanders rookie QB Sam Howell says he only eats chicken.

He's never tried a burger or a steak and won't eat seafood. He orders chicken tenders at steakhouses and brings his own tenders to team dinners.

H/T @MarkPArmstrong | @Commanders https://t.co/xsFxNH2ctH

I had a brother who only ate frozen buffalo chicken tenders for like a year. He was 8 years old. 
What about pork? No pork either? Growing up in NC?  :no:

If you're a total weirdo, you better be REALLY talented. 

I mean....if you've tried red meat and don't like it....so be it. Still odd, but whatever.

But a kid who grew up in north Carolina and has never even TRIED a cheeseburger (but will gladly house a plate of chicken nugs, so this isn't a moral thing...unless he's a Buddhist)....that's psycho stuff
Basic vegetarians don't eat red meat but they do eat chicken and fish.   So even if it is a moral thing the fact that he won't snack on a fish stick is straight slasher film.

Hall of Fame quarterback talks Carson Wentz, Sam Howell

Excerpt:

Next, Standig asked Warner about a quote where he said his favorite rookie quarterback from the 2022 NFL draft class, maybe outside of Kenny Pickett, was Howell. The Commanders selected Howell with the first pick in the fifth round.

“I’m intrigued by Sam Howell,” Warner said. “The number of games he’s played, the success that he’s had. The ball jumps off his hand; I think he may be the most naturally gifted thrower in this class. I am very intrigued by Sam and what he brings to the table because I’ve seen it for a number of years.”

When a successful NFL quarterback such as Warner speaks, it matters. The Commanders believe they have a steal in Howell, but time will tell.

NFL Research
@NFLResearch
Commanders QB Sam Howell impressed in his preseason debut...
2714.png1st rookie QB to have 100+ pass yds & 2+ rush TD in a preseason game since Dak Prescott did it in 2016 2714.png
1st rookie QB to have 150+ total yds & 2+ TD with fewer than 20 pass att in a preseason game since Prescott

Washington QB Sam Howell completed 24-of-35 passes for 280 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's preseason finale against the Ravens.​

This was Howell's first start of the preseason after coming off the bench the first two weeks. The fifth-round rookie took advantage of the extra snaps, adding 62 yards on eight carries as Washington's leading rushing. Howell's preseason couldn't have went much better, throwing for 547 yards (182.3 YPG) with three touchdowns while completing 63% of his passes. With Carson Wentz in front of him, there's a path to starts for Howell, who has been mixing in with the first-team offense. Howell's play this preseason could make Taylor Heinicke ($3.6M cap hit) a candidate for release.
Aug 28, 2022, 9:17 AM ET

Commanders, as they do with most things, are going to screw this up. They gave money to a guy that was run out of town by two different (smarter) franchises in 48 months.

The Commanders future is to screw this up, let Sam wither on the vine while they chase bad money with Wentz.

A couple years from now rinse and repeat.

I decided to try to become a Commmanders fan when they drafted Howell. Every Washington fan told me I'm an idiot. Don't choose this life.

Anyway, it seems like they're going to screw this up 3 ways from Sunday. Am I starting to sound like a real Washington fan now?

The Washington Post's Sam Fortier reports coach Ron Rivera’s decision to start Taylor Heinicke over Sam Howell in Week 7 "seems rooted in the belief" that Washington can still resurrect its season.​

Howell not starting isn't a surprise after Heinicke won seven games for Rivera last year. Making the pivot to Howell is probably where this still ends up for Washington (2-4) with Carson Wentz on IR. Heinicke, who's in the final year of his contract, shouldn't be guaranteed the starting role beyond this week. Howell was the star of Washington's preseason, leading the NFL in passing yards (547) while throwing for three touchdowns and rushing for a team-high 94 yards. The Commanders' season is shaping up for Howell to make rookie-year starts.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Oct 22, 2022, 12:54 PM ET

Watched him a bit in college, but no idea if he'll amount to anything at the pro level.

Anyone have any insight into him - worth picking up in superflex leagues?

He has a really good arm. And is fairly accurate. I've always liked him but when a guy drops to round 5 there's usually a reason. My understanding is his trouble is footwork after the second read. To me that seems like something that would come with game play and familiarity with the offense and WRs. Heck, Wentz has trouble on read #1 and he played.

I would think Howell has an outside chance to be the WAS QB next year. Heinicke could be re-signed at a mid tier deal. But more than either of them I think Ron will make a play on Carr and give up a lot to get him. For that reason alone, I'm not sure Howell has much value until we see what happens around draft time.

Classic bar fighter QB. Stocky, big arm quarterback who can lower his shoulder and get down field using his legs. Good deep ball but not sure how he processes reads. He lost a lot of talent on the offensive side from 2020 to 2021 which caused a dip in passing production but then he ran for over 800 yards. Seems like the type of player an offense could rally around. Interesting prospect…

I've been wanting this kid to play all year. There is no way he could be any worse than what we've seen from Wentz and his upside is greater than Taylor's will ever be. Seems like we wasted this season not giving him more opportunities...
They acted as if they were actual contenders. It’s good they’re starting Howell but now he gets one game - not sure you can learn anything either way really. I guess it’s better than nothing.

I've been wanting this kid to play all year. There is no way he could be any worse than what we've seen from Wentz and his upside is greater than Taylor's will ever be. Seems like we wasted this season not giving him more opportunities...
They acted as if they were actual contenders. It’s good they’re starting Howell but now he gets one game - not sure you can learn anything either way really. I guess it’s better than nothing.
Being in the playoff hunt until the bitter end was a double edged sword for the team. They understandably did not want to turn the reins over to a rookie QB with their playoff lives at stake - it's not like they are the Niners with a fantastic system in place. But at the same time, by having to delay seeing Howell until the end, team brass won't have much of a sample size to work with in making plans for next year. And unless he absolutely bombs, the decision will be a tough one.

Sam Howell... I think this is my guy! Just grabbed him off waivers and already have him the starting line-up for week 18! :love:

Oh, did I mention that week 18 is our annual "golf tournament" where we dump our rosters and pack them with losers in an attempt to get the lowest score?

Can't have zeroes though... stiff penalties for that. I think Sam Howell might just be the low, single-digit QB that can bring home the green jacket for me.

Basic vegetarians don't eat red meat but they do eat chicken and fish.
What?
I have no idea what I was replying to for that comment but yeah totally.
Just fish is pescaterian
Then no animal products is vegan.
Vegetarians, as I've known them, just don't eat red meat.
Vegetarians don’t eat any meat at all, including chicken and fish. If not they’re not vegetarians.
Jim Gaffigan: "I'm not a strict vegetarian. I eat beef and pork. And chicken. But not fish, cause that's just nasty."

Sam Howell... I think this is my guy! Just grabbed him off waivers and already have him the starting line-up for week 18! :love:

Oh, did I mention that week 18 is our annual "golf tournament" where we dump our rosters and pack them with losers in an attempt to get the lowest score?

Can't have zeroes though... stiff penalties for that. I think Sam Howell might just be the low, single-digit QB that can bring home the green jacket for me.
I love this idea

I love this idea

It holds off FF withdraw for at least one more week. We never knew exactly what to do with the final week of regular season... tried various "pro-bowl" scenarios, or best line-up, etc. Then somebody suggested we should have a tournament to get the lowest score, and the rest is history. Guys really get into it... this our 15th golf tournament.

It's actually much harder than it sounds with the zero penalties applied and we usually get a least one "John Daly" award with an owner scoring over 100. Players that never broke 3-4 pts all year suddenly blowing up for 25 pts.

These are the rules:

1) PAR for the course will be 60, the team that finishes with the lowest score (most points UNDER par, if applicable) wins.

2) Tie-breaker will be head-to-head player... lowest scorer vs other team's lowest scorer, if still tied, on to the next pair of lowest scorers, and so on until the tie is broken.

3) Transactions are allowed FOLLOWING WEEK 17... pick up as many losers as you can to fill out your roster... but don't pick up TOO BIG of a loser wink.gif

4) The strategy; to get the lowest point total for each individual player based on our normal starting line-up. In other words, think DUDS in place of STUDS for your line-up. If you have a guy on an NFL team that has everything locked up and he may only play one quarter, or even one series... he may be PERFECT! Be cautious however, because there is one little "catch."

5) Here is the catch; the obvious thing to do would be to acquire some free agents on IR and post a ZERO; but in this format ZERO's will be severely penalized as follows;
**QB scoring zero (0) is... +22 pts
**RB scoring zero (0) is... +16 pts
**WR scoring zero (0) is... +16 pts
**TE scoring zero (0) is... +16 pts
**PK scoring zero (0) is... +10 pts

Basically, the goal is to get as close to ONE (1) point for each player as possible, without recording a ZERO.

I think he IS legit. And first half they were only letting him throw on 3rd down, when the defense knew it was coming. He also had 2 drops. He's really having a great day, better than the stats are showing.

CBS Sports' Jonathan Jones reports Washington is telling offensive coordinator candidates that QB Sam Howell will "likely" be their starter in 2023.​

The Commanders slowplayed Howell as a rookie, starting Taylor Heinicke over him for a nine game stretch with Carson Wentz on IR. Howell shined in his lone Week 18 start, scoring two touchdowns while completing 58% of his passes. While Howell will have to earn the starting job, he'll go into the offseason as the favorite to start. Releasing Wentz and moving on from Heinicke will allow Washington to build up the rest of their roster around Howell, who's on his rookie deal. With OC Scott Turner gone, playing in a more pass heavy offense would give Howell breakout potential going into 2023.
RELATED:
SOURCE: CBSSports.com
Jan 14, 2023, 11:58 AM ET

Seems premature but it will indeed be very interesting to see who ends up there as OC. Lot of receiving talent there.

Seems premature but it will indeed be very interesting to see who ends up there as OC. Lot of receiving talent there.
I'm not saying I want them to do it, but if they drafted Mayer in the 1st, what a receiving core they would have, along with 2 RBs that can catch it too. I'd argue top 5-10 in the entire league with all those weapons.

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

For Washington, a logical move. Team is not going back to Wentz. Heinicke is limited and a pending FA. Commanders aren't in a great position to draft a top prospect with 16th pick. And Howell does present some upside. Build around him. See what he's got. Might strike gold.

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

For Washington, a logical move. Team is not going back to Wentz. Heinicke is limited and a pending FA. Commanders aren't in a great position to draft a top prospect with 16th pick. And Howell does present some upside. Build around him. See what he's got. Might strike gold.
If Anthony Richardson shows well in the draft process and is available to the Commanders, even if there is the need to bring him along slowly, his traits are so high that he cannot be passed on in the middle of round 1.

Again, that’s a big if, but Richardson, at least from a traits perspective, has everything a modern QB needs. He certainly is raw and will need a fair amount of polishing, but if he has the maturity needed and shows to be receptive to coaching, he has an upside Howell just doesn’t posses.

Users who are viewing this thread