What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tom Brady, TB (1 Viewer)

At this stage of the game, I am not sure Brady has the patience and the temperament to endure growing pains, so I see a lot of bickering and Brady getting in the face of people a lot. 
Evan Silva@evansilva

Definitely. Among the many reasons, hard to imagine Tom Brady putting up with Ronald Jones’ pass blocking. #Bucs

@MattHarmon_BYB @evansilva

Do you guys think the Bucs do anything at RB? Seems like the one missing piece of the offense.

7:28 PM · Mar 17, 2020

There are reports that Brady wants AB in Tampa Bay so if the above plays out it should be fun to watch cause Mr. Big Chest loves it when QBs call him out.
If Brady's contract truly includes some personnel input and his first official choice is AB, it will be one helluva fun circus to watch. That's Bill O'Brien level decision making right there. 

Evan Silva@evansilva

Definitely. Among the many reasons, hard to imagine Tom Brady putting up with Ronald Jones’ pass blocking. #Bucs

Do you guys think the Bucs do anything at RB? Seems like the one missing piece of the offense.

rumors of Gurley, but if not will definitely do something.

Maybe Kareem Hunt  :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Evan Silva@evansilva

I would say it’s almost a guarantee they bring in a vet like Gordon/Gurley or to a lesser degree Dion Lewis 

According to next gen stats, Brady was the 7th best deep passer in the NFL last year. Maybe we shouldn't throw dirt on Evans prospects just yet. And Nate Burleson just had a segment talking about how much better the WRs will benefit from accurate ball placement. I think there is no reason for Godwin/Evans owners to panic yet. If Tom shows up and suddenly looks like he's 5 years older and can't throw the ball, then we'll cry together. But I think he's going to be HIGHLY motivated to show the world he can win without BB. 

ffmail4me said:
According to next gen stats, Brady was the 7th best deep passer in the NFL last year. Maybe we shouldn't throw dirt on Evans prospects just yet. And Nate Burleson just had a segment talking about how much better the WRs will benefit from accurate ball placement. I think there is no reason for Godwin/Evans owners to panic yet. If Tom shows up and suddenly looks like he's 5 years older and can't throw the ball, then we'll cry together. But I think he's going to be HIGHLY motivated to show the world he can win without BB. 
Yep.

ffmail4me said:
Like all statistics, any stat can be used in different ways. While Brady may have been the 7th best deep passer last year, that is based on rate of effectiveness not quantity. We don't know what would have happened if Brady would have thrown deep 5 times as often and if the situation warranted it. Similarly, Brady may not throw deep as often as Winston did and may make the decision not to put the ball up for grabs. Similarly, to throw deep requires time to throw. Brady is not great at extending plays (although he has shown to be somewhat elusive in the pocket). But exposing a 43 year old QB to shots from the defense on deep routes seems like an accident waiting to happen. All we can really do is wait to see how it works out.

I agree he'll probably throw less deep balls, but more accurate completions down the field leads to more first downs, less turn overs, and more red zone looks. And Evans WILL benefit from Red Zone targets. I don't think that's even debatable is it? 

Like all statistics, any stat can be used in different ways. While Brady may have been the 7th best deep passer last year, that is based on rate of effectiveness not quantity. We don't know what would have happened if Brady would have thrown deep 5 times as often and if the situation warranted it. Similarly, Brady may not throw deep as often as Winston did and may make the decision not to put the ball up for grabs. Similarly, to throw deep requires time to throw. Brady is not great at extending plays (although he has shown to be somewhat elusive in the pocket). But exposing a 43 year old QB to shots from the defense on deep routes seems like an accident waiting to happen. All we can really do is wait to see how it works out.
Also didn't have any decent deep receivers.

PFF defines deep passing as pass attempts that are targeted 20 or more yards downfield. From 2019:

• Brady - 25/62 (10.1% of his attempts) for 728 yards (11.7 YPA), 7 TDs (11.3% TD percentage), 3 interceptions (4.8% interception percentage), 1 drop, 102.1 passer rating
  • Winston - 40/99 (15.8% of his attempts) for 1351 yards (13.6 YPA), 9 TDs (9.1% TD percentage), 5 interceptions (5.1% interception percentage), 4 drops, 97.1 passer rating
Not much of a difference there, especially if any of the Tampa drops would have gone for TDs. The only question would presumably be whether or not Brady can scale up his attempts by 50%+ and maintain his efficiency.

PFF defines deep passing as pass attempts that are targeted 20 or more yards downfield. From 2019:

• Brady - 25/62 (10.1% of his attempts) for 728 yards (11.7 YPA), 7 TDs (11.3% TD percentage), 3 interceptions (4.8% interception percentage), 1 drop, 102.1 passer rating
  • Winston - 40/99 (15.8% of his attempts) for 1351 yards (13.6 YPA), 9 TDs (9.1% TD percentage), 5 interceptions (5.1% interception percentage), 4 drops, 97.1 passer rating
Not much of a difference there, especially if any of the Tampa drops would have gone for TDs. The only question would presumably be whether or not Brady can scale up his attempts by 50%+ and maintain his efficiency.
Still apples to oranges as far as I am concerned. Completely different players, systems, lines, degree of familiarity, etc. The numbers could go in either direction, and as you mentioned previously, Brady’s age, skills, and numbers are more apt to continue in the wrong direction.  

Still apples to oranges as far as I am concerned. Completely different players, systems, lines, degree of familiarity, etc. The numbers could go in either direction, and as you mentioned previously, Brady’s age, skills, and numbers are more apt to continue in the wrong direction.  
Agree. What that data really told me more than anything is that Winston was actually quite good at deep passing last season. Probably the strongest element of his game, and it won't be easy for Brady to equal or better that. Seems more likely that the offense will change to de-emphasize deep passing.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports, "an unexpected high number of players have reached out to the Buccaneers to let them know they want to join the former Patriots’ QB there."

Schefter added, "This is otherwise known as the NFL version of the LeBron effect." Ring chasing isn't exactly a new concept. The Bucs are obviously loaded with high-end receivers in Mike Evans and Chris Godwin, while the likes of O.J. Howard and Cameron Brate also figure to be plenty involved. Theoretically, this is an exciting situation to join ... as long as old-man Brady isn't washed just yet. The offense still has a rather gaping hole at the RB position, as Peyton Barber was brutal in 2019 and Ronald Jones doesn't have a good enough history as a pass blocker to warrant the benefit of the doubt ahead of 2020.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 19, 2020, 8:23 AM ET

Evan Silva@evansilva

rumors of Gurley, but if not will definitely do something.
Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Rams are releasing RB Todd Gurley, per source. Cutting him today spares the Rams from having to pay him an additional $10.5 million due today. Rams spent weeks exploring a trade for him. Now Gurley will be free to sign with any team.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

When the Rams shopped RB Todd Gurley in recent weeks, the two teams that showed the most interest were the Miami Dolphins and Atlanta Falcons, per source.

Buccaneers signed Tom Brady to a two-year, $60 million contract.

It's the first we've heard of the official numbers involved in swaying the 42-year-old to travel south. As it stands, only Jared Goff ($36 million), Ben Roethlisberger ($33.5 million), Dak Prescott ($31.5 million), and Russell Wilson ($31 million) are set to account for a larger cap hit under center in 2020. Brady will ultimately have two years to install his own offensive system with a myriad of talent, including whomever takes a lesser deal in free agency to join the Bucs short-term, surrounding him. This offense still has a glaring need in its backfield, too — one that will likely be addressed with a veteran addition in the near future.

SOURCE: Mark Maske on Twitter

Mar 20, 2020, 9:10 AM ET

Here was the cut to the chase line at the end of that second article: Tom Brady's early 2020 projection: 366-for-590, 4,474 yards, 29 TDs, 10 INTs.

By comparison, his 2019 numbers were 373-for-613, 4,057 yards, 24 TDs, 8 INTs. If the main Footballguys site was accessible, I would see where those projected numbers would have ranked him last year.

We'll have to see how things play out, but at some point Brady's health, availability, skills, and productivity will all drop off. Leaving the analysis and how's and why's out of it, Brady's numbers have dropped each year since 2016. Will a change of scenery change that trend?

Rumor of the day is that BB approached SF about trading Brady instead of Jimmy G. And Brady would have preferred to move on to SF back in 2017. If true, that is said to have caused Brady to have been with filled with the rage of 1,000 suns and forever ruined the relationship between TB, BB, and Robert Kraft.

LINK

The appeal of QB-coach reunions; Bucs SB-bound with Brady?

Excerpt:

BRADY-LED BUCS: Is Tampa Bay really a Super Bowl contender?

I'm not trying to be a party pooper or throw out clickbait as a perceived hater, but I can't join the masses in suddenly feting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as bona fide Super Bowl LV contenders now that Tom Brady's aboard the pirate ship.

Look, I have the utmost respect for the six-time Super Bowl champion and three-time NFL MVP. His unparalleled on-field accomplishments have indeed made him the G.O.A.T. That said, I think it's laughable that many are touting Tampa Bay as a legitimate title threat because the Bucs just scooped up a soon-to-be 43-year-old quarterback fresh off one of the worst seasons of his career. Despite all the excuses regarding Brady's lack of weapons and suspect offensive line in New England last season, his decline in play can't be ignored when studying the tape or digging into his numbers.

After a sizzling three-game start to 2019 (SEE: 67.9 percent completion rate, 303.7 passing yards per game, 8.6 yards per attempt and a 7:0 touchdown-to-interception ratio), Brady ranked near the bottom of the league in Weeks 4 through 17 in completion percentage (59.4, ranking 28th), yards per attempt (6.2, tied for 30th) and passer rating (82.0, 27th). The 14-time Pro Bowler struggled against pressure, as evidenced by his 37.4 percent completion rate on those throws -- the third-lowest mark in the NFL in 2019 among quarterbacks with at least 30 pass attempts under duress, per Next Gen Stats. Considering he posted a 52.1 percent completion rate against pressure from 2016 through '18, that's a highly concerning downturn. In addition, Brady has limitations when it comes to utilizing the entire field, particularly on throws to the outside. According to Next Gen Stats, he finished with the lowest passer rating (67.4) among 32 qualified quarterbacks on throws to wide targets, along with a 53 percent completion rate and a 5:6 touchdown-to-interception ratio on such throws.

If Brady's most recent numbers are woeful, and they came in the scheme he's run for two decades, why should I expect him to flourish when he gets with the Buccaneers and has to adapt to Bruce Arians' attack while acclimating to a new supporting cast?

Studying Arians' offense from past seasons, it's easy to notice his love of the deep ball. He wants to push the ball downfield every chance he gets, and his previous quarterbacks (Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, Carson Palmer and Jameis Winston) were more than willing to let it fly. The heavy utilization of five- and seven-step drops places an extraordinary burden on the offensive line while also testing the patience and courage of the quarterback. Vertical routes take time to develop, and the QB has to believe his protection can hold up against ultra-athletic edge rushers and disruptive interior defenders. Last season, Brady seemingly lost his nerve in the pocket under duress. His reluctance to hang tough until the last possible moment resulted in an NFL-high 41 throwaways, per Sports Info Solutions. And given that each of the aforementioned passers (Roethlisberger, Luck, Palmer and Winston) suffered through 40-plus-sack seasons while working under Arians, Brady could take a pounding in this new scheme.

While Arians previously told NFL Network's Michael Silver that he'd be willing to "adapt" his offense to Brady's strengths, it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. History suggests BA wants the deep ball featured prominently in the offense. If Arians is insistent on continuing to push the ball down the field, he might elect to feature more play-action passes in the game plan. Last season, Brady had 160 dropback attempts on play-action -- compared to Winston's 123 -- and he completed 61.5 percent of these throws with a healthy average of 8.2 yards per attempt. With the Buccaneers capable of utilizing maximum protection from "12" personnel packages (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) with their best perimeter players on the field (Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, O.J. Howard and Cameron Brate), the team could build a fortress in front of Brady that enables him to find his big-bodied playmakers down the field on an assortment of vertical routes.

Speaking of personnel, there's no denying that Tampa Bay's receiving corps is a significant upgrade over the crew Brady played with last season in New England. He has a pair of 1,000-yard receivers (Evans and Godwin) with the size, strength and speed to dominate opponents in one-on-one matchups. Howard and Brate are a solid 1-2 punch at tight end with the capacity to win on an assortment of seam routes, short crossers and digs over the middle of the field. Considering Brady's propensity for throwing the ball inside the numbers, the Bucs' tight end combo could be the biggest beneficiary of TB12's arrival.

Opponents facing the Buccaneers can also expect to see an uptick in empty formations with Brady at the helm. The no-back sets enable Brady to quickly identify coverage and any possible blitzes while forcing opponents into uncomfortable matchups on the perimeter. Studying Tampa Bay's roster, Evans could really benefit from an increase in no-back formations by moving around within the formation. If No. 13 is capable of playing outside and in the slot within those formations, Evans could avoid some of the double-teams and bracket coverages opponents have deployed to neutralize his impact on the passing game.

Brady frequently targets running backs on swings, screens and checkdowns, taking advantage of sagging defenses intent on taking away deeper throws. The Buccaneers could seek an upgrade at running back, someone with established pass-catching chops. Dare Ogunbowale (35 catches for 286 yards) and Ronald Jones (31 catches for 309 yards) each flashed potential in the passing game last season, but Tampa Bay could use a real threat out of the backfield to maximize Brady's impact.

From an O-line standpoint, the Buccaneers could use a tackle to complement Donovan Smith on the edges. With the No. 14 overall pick in the draft, they could still land a Tier 1 pass protector to make Brady feel more comfortable in the pocket. Meanwhile, the interior trio of LG Ali Marpet, C Ryan Jensen and RG Alex Cappa is rock solid. Marpet and Jensen, in particular, are studs at their respective positions -- their ability to stonewall interior blockers will be critical in allowing the statuesque Brady to excel from the pocket.

These Buccaneers certainly give Brady a great opportunity to reverse the narrative suggesting that his game is on a steep decline, purportedly making him a liability at the game's most important position. He has an all-star cast around him on the perimeter and a fearless play-caller crafting a scheme that apparently will be tailored to the QB's strengths.

That said, personally, I don't expect a change of scenery to result in a renaissance for an aging quarterback with a diminished game. While it'd be quite a thrill to watch Brady guide the Bucs on a magic carpet ride that results in the franchise's second (and Brady's seventh) Lombardi Trophy, I don't believe a new supporting cast will help the 21st-year veteran feel the confetti falling on his shoulders ever again.

It's going to be fun watching Tom Brady without Belichick and the Patriots.  It's going also to be fun watching Belichick and the Patriots without Tom Brady.

Chaz McNulty said:
If the Patriots get an average QB and go 11-5 or 10-6, does that tarnish Brady's legacy at all?
12-4 with Matt Cassell.

If the Patriots make the AFC championship game or superbowl while Brady is one and one in the playoffs or worse, that would contribute to the "system QB" narrative.  Anything less definitive is just idle prattle.

12-4 with Matt Cassell.

If the Patriots make the AFC championship game or superbowl while Brady is one and one in the playoffs or worse, that would contribute to the "system QB" narrative.  Anything less definitive is just idle prattle.
11-5 in the 2008 season, but Brady started the first game. So technically 10-5 without Brady that season, and 13-6 overall in New England without Brady since Brady became the starting QB, including the 3-1 Deflategate suspension games with Garoppolo and Brissett.

IMO Brady's legacy is not tarnishable. If he plays poorly in Tampa, people will just write it off as him playing too long at age 43+. I think Belichick deserves more credit than Brady, but I think Belichick is the greatest NFL coach of all time and Brady is the greatest NFL QB of all time. Both things can be true.

IMO Brady's legacy is not tarnishable. If he plays poorly in Tampa, people will just write it off as him playing too long at age 43+. I think Belichick deserves more credit than Brady, but I think Belichick is the greatest NFL coach of all time and Brady is the greatest NFL QB of all time. Both things can be true.
Well said. It goes without saying that neither Belichick nor Brady would have achieved even close to the same success without the other.  What happens in the future won't tarnish the legacies of either, although the media will sure play it up if either has immediate success and the other does not.

Anything TB or BB does this point forward is irrelevant. Are Godfather 1 + 2 worse movies because Godfather 3 was meh?

Buccaneers GM Jason Licht said, "The tape to us showed that he (Tom Brady) had plenty of arm."

Licht added, "We felt that he had the ideal arm for Bruce and his system. He can still throw it deep. We felt the mobility was still the same as he’s always had, which he’s never been able to out-run anybody but he’s good in the pocket in terms of eluding pressure with his poise and his instincts. We did not see a decline in his arm talent whatsoever and in fact we felt like he could play for over two years for us. Hopefully, that’s the case." It's worth noting that the Buccaneers believe Brady is far from washed in regards to his ability to test defenses downfield. This is great news for each of Mike Evans, Chris Godwin and (maybe even) O.J. Howard.

SOURCE: Tampabay.com

Mar 30, 2020, 11:44 AM ET

Snorkelson said:
Brady’s new  offensive coordinator (Leftwich) played in the nfl from 2002 to 2012. Brady’s career started two years earlier. 
Brady's old offensive coordinator (McDaniels) first came to NE in 2001 (Brady's first year as a starter) and both were together for all or part of 17 seasons. Both will be age 43 on opening day. It is funny that Brady will be older than Leftwich (40).

https://www.cltampa.com/arts-entertainment/sports/article/21127725/tom-brady-would-appreciate-it-if-you-stopped-parking-your-dumb-boat-at-his-tampa-house

Tom Brady would appreciate it if you stopped parking your dumb boat at his Tampa house

Besides his internet barely working, The Buccaneers’ new quarterback Tom Brady seems to have a much bigger issue with renting Derek Jeter’s massive Tampa mansion: local dingalings on boats.

While speaking to Howard Stern on Sirius XM on Wednesday, Brady said he didn’t realize his new backyard was so exposed, and that he isn't a fan of people pulling their boats up to the back of his waterfront home on Davis Islands.

"I forgot people could drive up to your house," said Brady to Stern. "Here they can pull right up to the back of the house. Derek did a pretty good job of screening it. I am a little bit of an introvert. I feel like my house is my place I can relax. When you are outside the house, you understand everything with being me... in the backyard there's a lot of boats that have pulled up and people at the front."

Clearly, Bucs fans are obviously excited to have Brady in town, and as annoying as the onlookers may be, the four time Super Bowl MVP says he’s not going anywhere any time soon.

"I am going to stay here for a while," said Brady on his new 30,0000 square-foot pad. "I had to get here on really short notice. [Jeter’s] been a friend of mine, so we talked and it all worked out. Perfect for me here to get started here."

Doesn't 'sound' like TB GM Jason Licht is taking a shot at a developmental QB in the draft.  He's aware of the short window he has with TB and knows anyone he takes in the draft will need time to develop.

However, it does 'sound' like he's interested in any FA veteran QBs who 'might' be available after the draft.

Buccaneers’ Jason Licht talks 2020 NFL Draft 68 Via Zoom, Tampa Bay’s general manager fielded questions from the media about all things draft related

...the acquisition of quarterback Tom Brady, there were reports and speculation the future Hall of Famer was seeking some level of roster control or influence. Licht was asked whether or not he has received any input from his new quarterback ahead of the NFL Draft, and whether or not his influence would drive at least a part of the strategy in selecting this year’s class.

Licht responded, “In terms of his input on what we need, no. Mostly the conversations were what he was excited about working with. I had some conversations as well as Bruce (Arians) about what we were ideally looking to add, maybe not even through the draft, maybe after the draft, maybe through free-agency still.”

...the relatively short window everyone assumes the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will have with Brady at quarterback.

“In terms of having Tom on our roster and looking for immediate impact players. You know, there’s a balance here,” Licht said. “Obviously Tom isn’t - probably - going to play for the next ten years. He’s been kind of a freak of nature in terms of playing at the level he has at his age, because he takes care of himself so well, so I can’t put a timeline on how long he is going to play. But you have to think about the future as well. If you try to go for the guy that you think is only going to be able to play next year, and if you expect him to come in and make an instant impact, I think you’re fooling yourself a little bit. All of these players are going to need some developmental time, especially with the backdrop that we’re in right now.”

Doesn't 'sound' like TB GM Jason Licht is taking a shot at a developmental QB in the draft.  He's aware of the short window he has with TB and knows anyone he takes in the draft will need time to develop.

However, it does 'sound' like he's interested in any FA veteran QBs who 'might' be available after the draft.

Buccaneers’ Jason Licht talks 2020 NFL Draft 68 Via Zoom, Tampa Bay’s general manager fielded questions from the media about all things draft related
If he'd be amiable to it, why not bring Winston back as a backup? Its clear nobody is clamoring for him as a starter, and he knows the offense and already has chemistry who everybody except Gronk. Doubt there'd be a locker room issue either, because its not like some rookie took his job, its a 1st ballot HOF'er. 

If he'd be amiable to it, why not bring Winston back as a backup? Its clear nobody is clamoring for him as a starter, and he knows the offense and already has chemistry who everybody except Gronk. Doubt there'd be a locker room issue either, because its not like some rookie took his job, its a 1st ballot HOF'er. 
If your wife/ gf broke up with you for another guy would you want to hang around in the guest room and watch them bang?

If your wife/ gf broke up with you for another guy would you want to hang around in the guest room and watch them bang?
What? That isn't even close to the same thing. 

For what its worth, if I got paid millions of dollars to do so, then yes, I probably would.

Users who are viewing this thread