What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (2 Viewers)

TIL Darnold is good because he plays for SF. Got it!
Nope. You didn't and I think you know that wasn't the point.

Darnold could easily be the #3 QB in SF, but he could also easily be the #1 QB.

This is one of the worst QB rooms in the league, rising to the top probably says more about the level of competition than the talent of the winner.
Yep. Imagine how good they would be if Lance or Darnold reached their potential. Or if Purdy improves a bit from his Cinderella rookie season.

This is one of the worst QB rooms in the league, rising to the top probably says more about the level of competition than the talent of the winner.
Yep. Imagine how good they would be if Lance or Darnold reached their potential. Or if Purdy improves a bit from his Cinderella rookie season.
Imagine if Lynch acquired Kirk Cousins and didn't settle for Garoppolo?

Or if Lymch had drafted Justin Fields instead of Trey Lance.

Or Lamar Jackson instead of Mike McGlinchey (good player but not Lamar good by any stretch).

Or...IDK a couple guys named Watson or Mahomes instead of Solomon Thomas.

Brock Purdy wouldn't exist. Like at all, he may never have been born.

This is one of the worst QB rooms in the league,

:lmao:

Let's revisit this post in January.
It's one of the best team and coaching staff in the league, I fully expect them to be competing for the title. But not because of the guy under center.

But none of these QBs elevates the team around them.

Where do you stand on Jimmy Garoppolo's legacy? He gonna to elevate the Raiders?

It's one of the best teams in the league, I fully expect them to be competing for the title. But not because of the guy under center.

Where do you stand on Jimmy Garoppolo's legacy? He gonna to elevate the Raiders?

They will be in the hunt, and whoever is behind center will put up good numbers. This teams success will absolutely depend on QB play - the defense will be elite but it won't be enough IMO, the QB will be a huge factor.

As for Jimmy in Vegas, I think he's a downgrade from Carr and will not play more than 8-10 games.

I'm newish to this thread @Wingnut , you a Lance believer?

I love his physical tools but...
Not really. Not that I think he can't be good, but he's missed his chance in SF IMO....for now, anyway.

With SFs QB injury history, I think we could see Lance this year...and I hope he shines. But I won't be surprised if he costs SF another chance at a ring...and at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the SB. I just have no idea if he's good or not.

A couple of these may come to fruition.

Imagine thw crow earing that would happen.

I see it.

It's one of the best teams in the league, I fully expect them to be competing for the title. But not because of the guy under center.

They will be in the hunt, and whoever is behind center will put up good numbers. This teams success will absolutely depend on QB play - the defense will be elite but it won't be enough IMO, the QB will be a huge factor.

As for Jimmy in Vegas, I think he's a downgrade from Carr and will not play more than 8-10 games.
I agree about Garoppolo, but he won 69% of his games in SF. This is the kind of team that allows the Trent Dilfer's & Jeff Hostetler's of the world to win Super Bowls.

Not really. Not that I think he can't be good, but he's missed his chance in SF IMO....for now, anyway.

With SFs QB injury history, I think we could see Lance this year...and I hope he shines. But I won't be surprised if he costs SF another chance at a ring...and at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the SB. I just have no idea if he's good or not.
Agree 100%. So now I need to hear the argument as to why this isn't, on paper in June, one of the worst QB rooms in the league.

I need to hear the argument as to why this isn't, on paper in June, one of the worst QB rooms in the league.
Because there's potentially 3 starters in the room. Name another team that has that.

Purdy has proved himself. He came in cold against Miami when nobody had heard of him and played well, and then went on a tear and won 7 straight including a road game at Seattle in prime time, and 2 playoff wins. His advanced metrics were on par with a few elite QBs (not gonna name names cuz Im not saying hes good as any of them, but on this team with this system and roster, he could be). Say what you want about him coming off injury, but it wasn't an ACL or rotator cuff. He will be fine by week 1 and should have zero after effects (his UCL should be stronger tham it was before pre-injury). With his mentality and work ethic, I fully expect him to take a step forward this season. If he does, he will put up top 10 numbers easily IMO.

Darnold, as posted above, is an early first round talent that has never been in a situation like he's in now. He has the best coaches, weapons, and defense he's had since he got drafted. His head coaches before this season have been Todd Bowles, Adam Gase, Matt Rhule, and Steve Wilks, and hes had FIVE different offensive coordinators. I think it's safe to say Shanahan and company is a HUGE upgrade over all of them.

Darnold also played pretty well last season in Carolina in the last 6 games under Wilks (who is SF DC now) with a 4-2 record, 9 total TDs, 3 INTs, and a 92.6 rating. SF is hoping he can build on that stretch. I don't see a reason he can't if he gets playing time in San Fran.

Lastly, Lance. The wild card. But he's just that - a wild card. He's probably somewhere between Mahomes 2.0 and Sam Bradford 2.0, but bottom line is we don't know. But on this roster, as long as he isn't Josh Johnson, he's likely to be at least serviceable, and likely a decent QB1 if he ever gets the chance, at least ON THIS TEAM. And this is based on what I've read about his football IQ, work ethic, what hes shown in practices, what team mates say about him, and the situation he's in (coaches, weapons, familiarity with the system, stability, etc).

So knowing what we know about the 49ers current roster, Shanahan, Purdy, Darnold, and Lance, were probably looking at 3 QBs that could probably all be EFFECTIVE STARTERS, AT LEAST ON THIS TEAM. I ask, is there another team that has 3 QBs that could be legit starters FOR THIER CURRENT TEAM where there would be little to no drop-off in QB play if they had to start?

If there is, cool, but there's no way SF has one of the worst QB rooms in the league IMO.

Last edited:
Because there's potentially 3 starters in the room. Name another team that has that.
First off (How are you? ;) ) I love your post. It's well thought and has many solid points.

Of course you know there is a "but" coming and, of course it has to do with the quote.

There are also three potential scrubs who never amount to anything on this roster. Which other roster can you say that about?

Purdy has a solid argument, even with a busted wing. I have plenty of contrary arguments but I'll kinda gibe you Purdy (busted wing with limited arm talent to begin with [see Pennington , Chad] and full off-season of DCs studying his film aside) the argument for "QB wasteland" is far stronger than "QB...not wasteland?"

And I'm the guy arguing for Darnold to be the QB1 on this team.

Let's hope Purdy is out so we get the Lance/Darnold battle! This thread will be pure TC popcorn, should that happen.
Purdy earned the #1 job last year. Unfortunately he had questionable arm talent to begin with and he busted that arm.

I fully expect to hear some puff pieces about the rehab enabling him to come back "stronger" than ever. Heck it may be true. But, if your not a little concerned, at the very least, I think you're participating in some magical thinking.

Purdy could be a Tom Brady type, he absolutely has the intangibles, but the arm talent was suspect to begin with and that is so important. And he could mature into a better arm as he ages, but he still had a surgical injury to that arm. That's a tough fact and everyone should be at least a little concerned about that. Couple that with an off-season of film study for DCs and it is natural to have questions.

Last edited:
This is stuff is supposed to be fun…which rostering Lance is NOT.
In my 16 team IDP I had Lance & Purdy

Managed to move them in separate trades & used the proceeds to acquire TLaw.

Happy to have divorced myself of that whole situation. As a Niners fan it’s frustrating enough. And that was *before* they went and got Darnold.

Agree 100%. So now I need to hear the argument as to why this isn't, on paper in June, one of the worst QB rooms in the league.
Darnold and Lance are probably as good of a QB2-3 combo as there is in the league, so this is really just a referendum on Purdy. Maybe he's Trent Dilfer or maybe he's more a Jeff Garcia quality QB. I think Purdy has a chance to be a very good QB assuming he comes back fully healthy and wasn't just a Nick Mullens-type flash in the pan, but I'm a 49er fan so you can take that with a grain of salt.

Darnold and Lance are probably as good of a QB2-3 combo as there is in the league, so this is really just a referendum on Purdy. Maybe he's Trent Dilfer or maybe he's more a Jeff Garcia quality QB. I think Purdy has a chance to be a very good QB assuming he comes back fully healthy and wasn't just a Nick Mullens-type flash in the pan, but I'm a 49er fan so you can take that with a grain of salt.
Purdy could be Tom Brady. He looked a lot more polished and in control of the offense than most any rookie 3rd string QB has any right to. My big concerns are: 1) a full off season of DCs studying his film 2) uncertainty about his arm post surgery & 3) no participation in the off season program. The last one not as much as it's not like he got a ton of reps last year. But he's a young guy and still physically maturing, he could come back stronger and be the guy we think we saw at the end of last year. It's just all unknown ATM so I don't put him in the category with the established NFL starting QBs.

But to say Lance is as good of a QB (1, 2 or 3) is a stretch. If you say he is as athletic of a QB as there is, sure. But good? He has thrown 374 passes total since 2018. He may be good, but he may be terrible.

I like Darnold as a backup QB and believe, in the right situation (like the Niners) could easily reframe the narrative of his career. He also may simply not have the drive to maximize his physical gifts.

Top to bottom this QB room has far too many question marks to be viewed with anything other than a skeptical eye.

But to say Lance is as good of a QB (1, 2 or 3) is a stretch. If you say he is as athletic of a QB as there is, sure. But good? He has thrown 374 passes total since 2018. He may be good, but he may be terrible.

I like Darnold as a backup QB and believe, in the right situation (like the Niners) could easily reframe the narrative of his career. He also may simply not have the drive to maximize his physical gifts.

Top to bottom this QB room has far too many question marks to be viewed with anything other than a skeptical eye.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say in the bolded sentence but it isn't an accurate restatement of what I wrote. Lance is reportedly the #3 QB right now and I'm pretty comfortable saying he's at least as good of a #3 as there is on an NFL roster right now. Darnold isn't the best backup in the league but he's right there in the upper tier of #2s. If you want to say the QB room sucks because Purdy is a scrub who got lucky last year and is one of the worst starters in the league, I disagree but I understand the argument.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say in the bolded sentence but it isn't an accurate restatement of what I wrote. Lance is reportedly the #3 QB right now and I'm pretty comfortable saying he's at least as good of a #3 as there is on an NFL roster right now. Darnold isn't the best backup in the league but he's right there in the upper tier of #2s. If you want to say the QB room sucks because Purdy is a scrub who got lucky last year and is one of the worst starters in the league, I disagree but I understand the argument.
IDK what Lance is but he could be a complete train wreck. Better than Josh Johnson...maybe?

IDK what Lance is but he could be a complete train wreck. Better than Josh Johnson...maybe?
We've seen him play a little and, to use Oz's comparison, I'd take him over Malik Willis without much hesitation. If you went through all 31 other NFL rosters (and I won't, because that seems pretty boring) I'd be pretty surprised if you found better third stringers.

We've seen him play a little and, to use Oz's comparison, I'd take him over Malik Willis without much hesitation. If you went through all 31 other NFL rosters (and I won't, because that seems pretty boring) I'd be pretty surprised if you found better third stringers.
Honestly, I am not saying better or worse. On a report card he would be marked as "Incomplete".

Honestly, I am not saying better or worse. On a report card he would be marked as "Incomplete".
Fine, how many other teams' QB3s rate better than "incomplete"?

Playing in SF will to some extent hide his worst attribute, his poor decision making, given the style of the offense. Darnold also showed some improvement last season, and with even better coaching, maybe he takes another step.

Just looking at his career numbers, instead of his more recent play and current situation, seems a bit misguided- especially when Lance’s career numbers are pretty horrific - albeit in a smaller sample size.

Last edited:

While this was portrayed as an upbeat quote in the puff piece article, it is beyond concerning. Kittle may as well say “look, this guy was inexperienced and didn’t come here ready to play QB at all.”

"Trey has been great," Kittle recently told NBC Sports Bay Area's Jennifer Lee Chan. "I think he took steps forward in the OTAs. It's really fun when you start connecting on plays that you might have struggled [with] in the past, and that's something that we did at OTAs a couple of times, so that was fun. Got to get a lot of extra work in with them."

While this was portrayed as an upbeat quote in the puff piece article, it is beyond concerning. Kittle may as well say “look, this guy was inexperienced and didn’t come here ready to play QB at all.”

"Trey has been great," Kittle recently told NBC Sports Bay Area's Jennifer Lee Chan. "I think he took steps forward in the OTAs. It's really fun when you start connecting on plays that you might have struggled [with] in the past, and that's something that we did at OTAs a couple of times, so that was fun. Got to get a lot of extra work in with them."
All indications are Purdy will be ready week 1. From a fantasy point he is not relevant now or the immediate future. However, it’s not fair to say he won't be successful at a point down the line with another team. Just not this year. Darnold is probably the back up. I'm cutting him.

If Lance is relegated to backup or even 3rd string this year - can you think of 2 top 3 drafted QBs who have given their teams absolutely nothing.

JaMarcus and Zach Wilson come instantly to mind
Akili Smith, Brady Quinn, Heath Shuler, Dan McGwire, Casey Clausen, Josh Rosen, Art Schlichter, Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, Andre Ware, Todd Blackledge, David Klingler, Cade McNown, Tim Druckenmiller, Kelly Stouffer, Jack Thompson, Joey Harrington.
I don't think all those guys were drafted in the top 3 picks
Several were. 7 to be exact and Schlichter was 4th overall.

Last edited:
Akili Smith, Brady Quinn, Heath Shuler, Dan McGwire, Casey Clausen, Josh Rosen, Art Schlichter, Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, Andre Ware, Todd Blackledge, David Klingler, Cade McNown, Tim Druckenmiller, Kelly Stouffer, Jack Thompson, Joey Harrington.
Several were. 8 to be exact and Schlichter was 4th overall.
Add Jeff George to my list.

Vish Kumaran @VishKumaran
Interesting stuff from the @TheHerd. Mark Schlereth who called the #49ers week 2 game vs Seattle says that the 49ers didn’t get the athlete they thought they were getting with Trey Lance. He thinks that it limited some of the run game that they were originally intending with him.

Vish Kumaran @VishKumaran
Fwiw, I always come back to this in regard to conversations about Lance’s speed. Personally, I think indecisiveness has factored into this more than a natural lack of speed, but 🤷‍♂️.

Splitting hairs but even though they all failed, ultimately, as NFL QBs most of those guys had given their teams greater RoI than Lance so far. It's not fair to Lance because he got injured and the book on him hasn't been finished but life and judgement in the public eye, are tough.

I also don't think any of those players cost more in draft capital than Lance.

George, for example, was a huge wasted talent but he did have an 11 year career and even led the league in yardage once. He had frequent flashes of brilliance. Unfortunately he was also, mostly uncoachable.

Quinn, McGwire, Drukenmiller were back half of the first round picks. Rosen & McKnown were 10th & 12th, which is also pretty far from #3. And, I don't know who Casey Clausen is but Jimmy Clausen was a 2nd rounder.

Any way you slice it l, it's going to be tough for Lance to turn his career around in San Francisco.

Last edited:
Splitting hairs but even though they all failed, ultimately, as NFL QBs most of those guys had given their teams greater RoI than Lance so far. It's not fair to Lance because he got injured and the book on him hasn't been finished but life and judgement in the public eye, are tough.

George, for example, was a huge wasted talent but he did have an 11 year career and even led the league in yardage once. He had frequent flashes of brilliance. Unfortunately he was also, mostly uncoachable.

Quinn, McGwire, Drukenmiller were back half of the first round picks. Rosen & McKnown were 10th & 12th, which is also pretty far from #3. And, I don't know who Casey Clausen is but Jimmy Clausen was a 2nd rounder.

Any way you slice it l, it's going to be tough for Lance to turn his career around in San Francisco.
Yes, but you focused on those from the list that were not top 3 or 4 picks. I listed 7 top 3 and 1 top 4 for a total of 8 with great draft capital that were busts. You won't find many that gave up what SF gave up for Lance.

I was actually referring to the horrific #2/3 picks of Zach Wilson along with Lance - cant recall a worse combo in the top 3.

I was actually referring to the horrific #2/3 picks of Zach Wilson along with Lance - cant recall a worse combo in the top 3.
Tim Couch/Akili Smith?
Didn’t Couch lead his team to the playoffs?
I'm not sure I'd use the word "lead" but you are correct they did make the playoffs as a wild card one year. He had 18 TD's, 18 Int's and a 76.8 passer rating that year (his best year) and was out of the league within 2 years after that.

We don't know what Lance's career will ultimately look like but I'd be willing to bet that when all is said and done he'll end up with a better career than Couch had.

Tim Couch/Akili Smith?
I'm not sure I'd use the word "lead" but you are correct they did make the playoffs as a wild card one year. He had 18 TD's, 18 Int's and a 76.8 passer rating that year (his best year) and was out of the league within 2 years after that.

We don't know what Lance's career will ultimately look like but I'd be willing to bet that when all is said and done he'll end up with a better career than Couch had.
Didn’t Couch get hurt that ruined him?

I don't wanna seem like I'm gloating as a Bears fan (and it could still change I guess) but it will forever blow my mind that both those guys went ahead of Fields, who was more physically gifted, more productive, and more battle tested against quality competition. I'm not sure Fields would have been great in NY, that was gonna be rough for anyone, but SF especially missed the boat on that one.

Tim Couch/Akili Smith?

Didn’t Couch get hurt that ruined him?
I don't remember and don't really care. It's not worth spending any more time on it I was just giving an example off the top of my head of two QB's drafted in the top 3 who were busts. I'll admit that I'm wrong if that will make you happy.

Yes, but you focused on those from the list that were not top 3 or 4 picks. I listed 7 top 3 and 1 top 4 for a total of 8 with great draft capital that were busts. You won't find many that gave up what SF gave up for Lance.
100% I said I was picking nits.

We're there any major trades to get these guys other than Lance?

Users who are viewing this thread