What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (3 Viewers)

JaMarcus and Zach Wilson come instantly to mind
Akili Smith, Brady Quinn, Heath Shuler, Dan McGwire, Casey Clausen, Josh Rosen, Art Schlichter, Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, Andre Ware, Todd Blackledge, David Klingler, Cade McNown, Tim Druckenmiller, Kelly Stouffer, Jack Thompson, Joey Harrington.
I don't think all those guys were drafted in the top 3 picks
Several were. 8 to be exact and Schlichter was 4th overall.
Add Jeff George to my list.
Splitting hairs but even though they all failed, ultimately, as NFL QBs most of those guys had given their teams greater RoI than Lance so far. It's not fair to Lance because he got injured and the book on him hasn't been finished but life and judgement in the public eye, are tough.

I also don't think any of those players cost more in draft capital than Lance.

George, for example, was a huge wasted talent but he did have an 11 year career and even led the league in yardage once. He had frequent flashes of brilliance. Unfortunately he was also, mostly uncoachable.

Quinn, McGwire, Drukenmiller were back half of the first round picks. Rosen & McKnown were 10th & 12th, which is also pretty far from #3. And, I don't know who Casey Clausen is but Jimmy Clausen was a 2nd rounder.

Any way you slice it l, it's going to be tough for Lance to turn his career around in San Francisco.
Yes, but you focused on those from the list that were not top 3 or 4 picks. I listed 7 top 3 and 1 top 4 for a total of 8 with great draft capital that were busts. You won't find many that gave up what SF gave up for Lance.
100% I said I was picking nits.

We're there any major trades to get these guys other than Lance?
Ryan Leaf cost the Chargers:

#3 overall (Andre Wadsworth, though may have been Charles Woodson if they'd kept the pick)
#33 overall (Corey Chavous)
1999 1st (David Boston)
Eric Metcalf (1st team AP returner, and mediocre slot WR)
Patrick Sapp (backup LB)

For comparisons sake, Lance cost SF:
#12 overall (Micah Parsons, probably Mac Jones if they'd stayed put)
2022 1st (Cole Strange)
2022 3rd (Channing Tindall)
2023 1st (Bryan Breese)

ETA: Just a fun fact I like, since Jeff George was mentioned, he was a really weird case where Indy both lost the deal but got a very good ROI.

In 1990, they traded to Atlanta:
Chris Hinton
Andre Rison
1991 1st (Mike Pritchard)

But then 4 years later traded George to Atlanta for:
1994 1st (traded to SF who took Bryant Young, in the Trev Alberts trade up)
1996 1st (Marvin Harrison)

The 94 Falcons also flipped Mike Pritchard to Denver for a 94 2nd rounder (Bert Emanuel) and a 95 1st rounder which was traded to Minnesota for Chris Doleman.

Last edited:
I was actually referring to the horrific #2/3 picks of Zach Wilson along with Lance - cant recall a worse combo in the top 3.
Tim Couch/Akili Smith?
Didn’t Couch lead his team to the playoffs?
I'm not sure I'd use the word "lead" but you are correct they did make the playoffs as a wild card one year. He had 18 TD's, 18 Int's and a 76.8 passer rating that year (his best year) and was out of the league within 2 years after that.

We don't know what Lance's career will ultimately look like but I'd be willing to bet that when all is said and done he'll end up with a better career than Couch had.
Didn’t Couch get hurt that ruined him?
I don't remember and don't really care. It's not worth spending any more time on it I was just giving an example off the top of my head of two QB's drafted in the top 3 who were busts. I'll admit that I'm wrong if that will make you happy.
No you’re not wrong, Couch definitely classifies as a bust, but his multitude of injuries didn’t help.

JaMarcus and Zach Wilson come instantly to mind
Akili Smith, Brady Quinn, Heath Shuler, Dan McGwire, Casey Clausen, Josh Rosen, Art Schlichter, Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, Andre Ware, Todd Blackledge, David Klingler, Cade McNown, Tim Druckenmiller, Kelly Stouffer, Jack Thompson, Joey Harrington.
I don't think all those guys were drafted in the top 3 picks
Several were. 8 to be exact and Schlichter was 4th overall.
Add Jeff George to my list.
Splitting hairs but even though they all failed, ultimately, as NFL QBs most of those guys had given their teams greater RoI than Lance so far. It's not fair to Lance because he got injured and the book on him hasn't been finished but life and judgement in the public eye, are tough.

I also don't think any of those players cost more in draft capital than Lance.

George, for example, was a huge wasted talent but he did have an 11 year career and even led the league in yardage once. He had frequent flashes of brilliance. Unfortunately he was also, mostly uncoachable.

Quinn, McGwire, Drukenmiller were back half of the first round picks. Rosen & McKnown were 10th & 12th, which is also pretty far from #3. And, I don't know who Casey Clausen is but Jimmy Clausen was a 2nd rounder.

Any way you slice it l, it's going to be tough for Lance to turn his career around in San Francisco.
Yes, but you focused on those from the list that were not top 3 or 4 picks. I listed 7 top 3 and 1 top 4 for a total of 8 with great draft capital that were busts. You won't find many that gave up what SF gave up for Lance.
100% I said I was picking nits.

We're there any major trades to get these guys other than Lance?
Ryan Leaf cost the Chargers:

#3 overall (Andre Wadsworth, though may have been Charles Woodson if they'd kept the pick)
#33 overall (Corey Chavous)
1999 1st (David Boston)
Eric Metcalf (1st team AP returner, and mediocre slot WR)
Patrick Sapp (backup LB)

For comparisons sake, Lance cost SF:
#12 overall (Micah Parsons, probably Mac Jones if they'd stayed put)
2022 1st (Cole Strange)
2022 3rd (Channing Tindall)
2023 1st (Bryan Breese)

ETA: Just a fun fact I like, since Jeff George was mentioned, he was a really weird case where Indy both lost the deal but got a very good ROI.

In 1990, they traded to Atlanta:
Chris Hinton
Andre Rison
1991 1st (Mike Pritchard)

But then 4 years later traded George to Atlanta for:
1994 1st (traded to SF who took Bryant Young, in the Trev Alberts trade up)
1996 1st (Marvin Harrison)

The 94 Falcons also flipped Mike Pritchard to Denver for a 94 2nd rounder (Bert Emanuel) and a 95 1st rounder which was traded to Minnesota for Chris Doleman.
So, at a similar price, if Lance wins three more games he will have provided more RoI than Leaf.

Great breakdown and trivia drop on btw.

it’s not fair to say he won't be successful at a point down the line with another team. Just not this year.
Honestly if he doesn't play this season at all, it's hard to imagine him being successful. He sat out his last year in college and has played only a handful of snaps in the NFL. He needs reps to learn the game.

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Trey Lance is reportedly going to look like a “different player” at training camp according to his private coach Jeff Christensen.Deebo Samuel (49ers WR) even said he’s seen “significant improvement” from Lance.Lance has spent time this off-season training with Patrick Mahomes.George Kittle (49ers TE) said last season that Lance has an “insane ceiling” and “reminds” him of Josh Allen.The 49ers third overall pick will be out to PROVE himself in training camp

Trey Lance is reportedly going to look like a “different player” at training camp according to his private coach Jeff Christensen.Deebo Samuel (49ers WR) even said he’s seen “significant improvement” from Lance.Lance has spent time this off-season training with Patrick Mahomes.George Kittle (49ers TE) said last season that Lance has an “insane ceiling” and “reminds” him of Josh Allen.The 49ers third overall pick will be out to PROVE himself in training camp
Ill believe it when I see it. He needs to pull away from Darnold early so thats not even a conversation.

Ill believe it when I see it. He needs to pull away from Darnold early so thats not even a conversation.
The fact the praise is coming from his private coach, makes it relatively meaningless. What else would he say "my coaching has had no affect on Lance. He's just as bad as when we started."

I can't tell you what it is or why it is but you get those feelings deep inside sometimes.
Sometimes it's that Patty Melt you shouldn't have eaten for lunch
And sometimes it just seems like too good a deal and cost little to roll the dice and hit,
But for some reason it doesn't look like such a.long shot like 20:1,
It looks more like 6:1 or 8:1 but something that tips your hand and says you are getting the right odds to make a move.

It would be wise right now to keep an open mind and I mean OPEN, just for 2023, forget anything beyond.
You have a Stud RB and some more talent behind that to make anyone feel comfy taking snaps in this offense.
You have weapons to score in the passing game
A HC that is always regarded as an elite mind in the NFL
A superior Defense and a strong OL, this team is built to win a Title
It would be wise right now to keep an open mind for the SF-QB, whoever the starter ends up being

They've invested a lot in Lance and I'm sure they want to get something in return at some point
His value is not going to increase standing around on the sidelines.
Now just calm down MoP and take it easy
This is a "Neighbor Aggravator" so turn the bass up

Last edited:
David Lombardi @LombardiHimself
Trey Lance’s motion looks significantly quicker, yes, and he’s throwing against air accurately in the clips that we’ve seen. But we’ve already noted all of this for months now.The actual test, as Kyle Shanahan has said multiple times, is how Lance’s mechanics will hold up vs live defenses. So acting like clips of Lance throwing vs air have some type of “gotcha” value is incredibly silly

I predict another infuriating camp - out of Shanny being coy about the quarterbacks and the beat reporters getting in their feelings over it.

I predict another infuriating camp - out of Shanny being coy about the quarterbacks and the beat reporters getting in their feelings over it.
Shanahan indicated that Purdy will practice with the first-team when he’s out there. So, no quarterback competition at all.

Link

Shanahan indicated that Purdy will practice with the first-team when he’s out there. So, no quarterback competition at all.

Link
Yeah I'm not so sure that means there is no QB competition lol. It just means when he has days he can throw he gets his chance with first team.

Link
Yeah I'm not so sure that means there is no QB competition lol. It just means when he has days he can throw he gets his chance with first team.
Purdy is QB1, there is no competition for that. The competition will be for QB2/QB3.

Link
Purdy is QB1, there is no competition for that. The competition will be for QB2/QB3.
Sure buddy

Shanny this year:
“I get how everyone wants something set in stone, but it’s not set in stone. I love the options. I love the experience that Brock got. I love that Trey got some too. I love the ability we have in the room. Besides those three, I love our team around them. Let’s let it play out, and all I have to do is survive the press conferences.”

Man that's an odd way of saying Purdy is the starter

Don't get me wrong I'm sure Purdy has a good chance to be the starter but to say there is no competition is just silly.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong I'm sure Purdy has a good chance to be the starter but to say there is no competition is just silly.
It's not. He's QB1 barring a recovery setback, period. You don't have to like it but it's a fact.

Until the other day, Shanahan thought Purdy wouldn't be cleared and at camp for a couple of weeks. He's ahead of schedule and will now have plenty of reps to get ready for week 1.

It's not. He's QB1 barring a recovery setback, period. You don't have to like it but it's a fact.

Until the other day, Shanahan thought Purdy wouldn't be cleared and at camp for a couple of weeks. He's ahead of schedule and will now have plenty of reps to get ready for week 1.
Link?

Link?
A regular 49er beat writer, after the Shanahan/Lynch press conference today (which I haven't seen yet), but one of his takeaways:

Kyle Shanahan was planning for Brock Purdy not to be there for a couple more weeks, and was going to roll with Trey Lance, Sam Darnold, and Brandon Allen.

Now, he’s looking to find a way to fit reps with 4 players.

His full breakdown of Shanahan/Lynch presser, including Purdy pretty much confirmed as starter.

Link?
A regular 49er beat writer, after the Shanahan/Lynch press conference today (which I haven't seen yet), but one of his takeaways:

Kyle Shanahan was planning for Brock Purdy not to be there for a couple more weeks, and was going to roll with Trey Lance, Sam Darnold, and Brandon Allen.

His full breakdown of Shanahan/Lynch presser, including Purdy pretty much confirmed as starter.

How is this a link to Purdy being named the starter without a competition lol?

Link?

It's not, because there is no such link. You have to read between the lines. If you followed the team like I do, you'd know. All the info is there, and it's not hard to decipher.

Link?

It's not, because there is no such link. You have to read between the lines. If you followed the team like I do, you'd know. All the info is there, and it's not hard to decipher.
Lol. So it is your opinion that Purdy will be week one starter and there will not be a competition, not a fact. Understood now.

Link?

Lol. So it is your opinion that Purdy will be week one starter and there will not be a competition, not a fact. Understood.
Well they'd be dumb to say he's the starter right now because he's not yet 100% and a setback could still happen, but as long as there are no setbacks between now and week 1, it's pretty much set in stone that Purdy is QB1. Trust me.

Link?

Lol. So it is your opinion that Purdy will be week one starter and there will not be a competition, not a fact. Understood.
Well they'd be dumb to say he's the starter right now because he's not yet 100% and a setback could still happen, but as long as there are no setbacks between now and week 1, it's pretty much set in stone that Purdy is QB1. Trust me.
Sorry I don't think I will trust you and think it's not set in stone until camp plays out. Good luck on your prediction/opinion though.

It’s not set in stone but Lynch and Shanahan have said he’s the presumed starter and insiders like Kawakami have been reiterating Purdy is definitively viewed as the guy by those in the building. Anything can happen, I suppose, particularly given Purdy’s health, but if/when he’s 100% I don’t think there will be much of a genuine competition.

If Purdy, Lance & Darnold are available to practice and Purdy gets the first reps every single time, it's a pretty good indication they want him to be the starter.

It would not be great management to simply declare Purdy the set in stone starter because there is a possibility of a set back on his throwing arm. If there is a setback it will be hard to sell the idea that they didn't want Lance or Darnold to be the starter all along.

It’s not set in stone but Lynch and Shanahan have said he’s the presumed starter and insiders like Kawakami have been reiterating Purdy is definitively viewed as the guy by those in the building. Anything can happen, I suppose, particularly given Purdy’s health, but if/when he’s 100% I don’t think there will be much of a genuine competition.
From Kawakami’s interview with Shanahan posted today in the Athletic:

“Shanahan on Lance and Darnold’s chances of moving ahead of Purdy:

“Now Trey and Sam? They have the ability to do that stuff,” Shanahan said. “It is harder for them to do it in practice and to jump a guy we’ve seen do it in seven games like that. That’s the harder situation. But that’s the situation I’m happy about, though. Now maybe (Purdy) has a setback, maybe he’s rusty and stuff because of his injury. I don’t know. I don’t think he will be. I think he’ll get back to that point. And then these other guys can play, too. Maybe he does get an injury and Sam or Trey get an opportunity just like Brock did last year.

“All of this could happen to each one of them. I know the way that we all would’ve drawn it up because of how we spent our draft picks. And that’s the way it was going to go. (But) injuries happen. And when injuries happen, you don’t really lose your job because of injury but you give opportunities to someone else. And this guy who got his opportunity, came in and did stuff on film for me, for John, for all our players, that was as good as we’ve seen here. And he’s going to be real hard to beat out.””

Matt Maiocco agrees there is no competition for QB1.

Purdy cleared eliminates any doubt about 49ers' Week 1 starter​

One major question surrounding the beginning of the 49ers’ season was answered Tuesday.

Coach Kyle Shanahan said Purdy will line up with the first-team offense any time he is on the field.

There is no doubt Purdy will be the starter on Sunday, Sept. 10, when the 49ers open the regular season at the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Purdy is not in competition with anyone other than himself as he sets out to improve on his breakout rookie season and take the 49ers deeper into the NFL playoffs.

With Purdy firmly set as the team’s starter, the only quarterback competitions that will be taking place this summer are for the other spots on the 49ers’ depth chart.

Purdy proved himself during the eight games he played after taking over for injured Jimmy Garoppolo at the end of last season.

That stint, which included postseason victories over Seattle and Dallas, set Purdy on a path to be the 49ers’ unquestioned starter as long as he got healthy, stayed healthy and played well.

And now that he is healthy, it is clearly his team.

Matt Maiocco agrees there is no competition for QB1.

Purdy cleared eliminates any doubt about 49ers' Week 1 starter​

One major question surrounding the beginning of the 49ers’ season was answered Tuesday.

Coach Kyle Shanahan said Purdy will line up with the first-team offense any time he is on the field.

There is no doubt Purdy will be the starter on Sunday, Sept. 10, when the 49ers open the regular season at the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Purdy is not in competition with anyone other than himself as he sets out to improve on his breakout rookie season and take the 49ers deeper into the NFL playoffs.

With Purdy firmly set as the team’s starter, the only quarterback competitions that will be taking place this summer are for the other spots on the 49ers’ depth chart.

Purdy proved himself during the eight games he played after taking over for injured Jimmy Garoppolo at the end of last season.

That stint, which included postseason victories over Seattle and Dallas, set Purdy on a path to be the 49ers’ unquestioned starter as long as he got healthy, stayed healthy and played well.

And now that he is healthy, it is clearly his team.

Some folks still waiting for the super-super-double-pinky-promise before they believe he’s the QB1 barring a setback.

ESPN’s Nick Wagoner said the 49ers would likely turn down a “substantial” trade offer for Trey Lance.

The team’s quarterback saga will surely rage on in the weeks before the regular season kicks off, with Brock Purdy (elbow) back in action with some workload restrictions and Sam Darnold drawing comparisons to Steve Young. Wagoner suggested the 49ers are stung by losing three QBs to injury last season and want to keep three signal callers on the roster, including Lance. We’ll see if the Niners — who reportedly looked to deal Lance in the spring — will turn down a generous trade offer from a QB-needy team in August.

Lombardi:

Trey Lance's best throw of today was his only completion, an intermediate crosser to Tay Martin.

But the major concern for the 49ers remains Lance's wildly spotty short game. He threw one short attempt for Brayden Willis into the turf and another short throw behind Jordan Mason.

Lance's body language was not positive after either miss. We've seen similar inaccuracies sprinkled through warmups. He must be more consistent on those bread-and-butter throws to earn more of Shanahan's trust

Where there's smoke?

The vibes coming out of #49ers training camp right now is that Sam Darnold will be the team’s QB2 and Trey Lance will be QB3

Per Pro Football Talk

Last edited:
Lombardi:

Trey Lance's best throw of today was his only completion, an intermediate crosser to Tay Martin.

But the major concern for the 49ers remains Lance's wildly spotty short game. He threw one short attempt for Brayden Willis into the turf and another short throw behind Jordan Mason.

Lance's body language was not positive after either miss. We've seen similar inaccuracies sprinkled through warmups. He must be more consistent on those bread-and-butter throws to earn more of Shanahan's trust

This IMO tells the story. If the guy cannot hit the easy throws…now what? Niners most likely would trade him for a reasonable pick so they can move on from this story. Problem is the more Lance publicly shows the lower his value gets. Odd situation for both parties.

The window is definitely closing on Lance in San Francisco. Beyond all his missed time with injury, it's going to be tough to improve with only 5 practice reps per day.

Time to accept it, he's a bust, at least as starting QB in SF. Htting on picks like Purdy, Kittle, Hufanga, etc help soften the blow.

It's over, Lance fans. Maybe he catches on somewhere else, but he's done in SF IMO.

Time to accept it, he's a bust, at least as starting QB in SF. Htting on picks like Purdy, Kittle, Hufanga, etc help soften the blow.

It's over, Lance fans. Maybe he catches on somewhere else, but he's done in SF IMO.
Your golden boy Purdy is coming back down to earth (the funny thing is he never left he's over hyped) and I'm going to laugh at you all season.

Users who are viewing this thread